Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Tires ordered. $700 for 2 PS4S in my width is just too good to pass up. Gonna have to finish off the old ones now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

My rear tires on the S2K are due for replacement so I ordered same-same as before, but mostly because they were inexpensive and the grip was decent while they lasted. Hankook Ventus V12 in 225/45/17 @ $127 apiece. Fronts look brand new.

The car lives indoors and I am pretty good about checking pressures but I think maybe these tires like a little less air than I usually run since the center seems to have worn out faster. It’s due for an alignment but I can’t see that wearing the rear prematurely. Spirited driving but nothing crazy. They really didn’t seem to last very long though.

I also ordered some Tire Rack closeout Yokohama Ice Guards for the OEM Fit wheels, in 185/55/16. It’s going back to being my DD and when I’m back on my feet after my hip replacement later this year it will be mid-February in PA so I don’t want to screw around and damage my summer wheels.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

fknlo posted:

typing out the size with spaces seems to get the best results? Something like 285 35 19 Michelin worked best for me but then it didn't necessarily show the tires on the sale participants page when I did that. But then it did under a general search so who knows

What I did was type out the brand/model that I wanted and then used the filters on the side. Worked in my case but I can see how it would depend on the seller putting it in right.

Also, small sample size, grain of salt, etc, but I got some really old tires from eBay the second to last time I ordered from them. Like 4 years old, I'm only getting a year or two out of these basically. The time before that I didn't check but doing the math based off of the date code they were 3 years old already. I only ordered from eBay again because A) Nokian's production and supply are hosed by the Russia situation and B) the Hakka 10s just came out last year so there's no way they are older than that.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

22 Eargesplitten posted:

What I did was type out the brand/model that I wanted and then used the filters on the side. Worked in my case but I can see how it would depend on the seller putting it in right.

Also, small sample size, grain of salt, etc, but I got some really old tires from eBay the second to last time I ordered from them. Like 4 years old, I'm only getting a year or two out of these basically. The time before that I didn't check but doing the math based off of the date code they were 3 years old already. I only ordered from eBay again because A) Nokian's production and supply are hosed by the Russia situation and B) the Hakka 10s just came out last year so there's no way they are older than that.

My tires are supposed to show up today so we'll see how old they are. The PS4S is only 5 or so years old so I think the odds are decent that I'll have something relatively new. They won't last more than 2 or 3 years anyway. I got a bit over 3 years and 20k miles from the rears which is quite frankly surprising with the way that I drive.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

If you're getting them from the Discount Tire seller you don't have anything to worry about

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Manufactured the first week of this year. I need to get them on asap, the tires on the car are worse than I thought. I need to find a shop that can handle them too. I'm in rural Missouri and might have to take them to KC to get it done.

fknlo fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Oct 22, 2022

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Looking for a new set of Blizzaks for winter. Whats the difference between the Blizzak WS-80 and WS-90?

Is the 90 just the newer version of the 80?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

wesleywillis posted:

Looking for a new set of Blizzaks for winter. Whats the difference between the Blizzak WS-80 and WS-90?

Is the 90 just the newer version of the 80?

Pretty much, as far as I can tell. It has some minor changes to tread pattern.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Well I decided to go with WS-90s for my CTS V-Sport. I've used Michelin X-Ice's prior to this and I liked them, but the WS-90s were $50 less per corner.

This will be my first winter with a RWD car so I look forward to hanging my rear end out at every opportunity.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
We just had our first good snowfall of the year, and Minnesotans do not disappoint. I spent almost 12 hours just answering the phone and receiving/scheduling tire appointments yesterday. Our shop has all our appointments booked until after Thanksgiving now, and it's not gonna stop snowing until tomorrow or Thursday :laffo:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Well I decided to go with WS-90s for my CTS V-Sport. I've used Michelin X-Ice's prior to this and I liked them, but the WS-90s were $50 less per corner.

This will be my first winter with a RWD car so I look forward to hanging my rear end out at every opportunity.

I got WS80s after having X-Ices. They are a much better dry and wet tire in return for being a somewhat worse snow and ice tire, but the drop-off isn't too bad and honestly like 98% of the driving I do in the winter is on cleared and salted roads.

PitViper posted:

We just had our first good snowfall of the year, and Minnesotans do not disappoint. I spent almost 12 hours just answering the phone and receiving/scheduling tire appointments yesterday. Our shop has all our appointments booked until after Thanksgiving now, and it's not gonna stop snowing until tomorrow or Thursday :laffo:

I did mine in advance last week. First snow this week. :chord:

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

I’m in PA, which doesn’t get snow nearly as early as the northern states but even I swapped my Fit onto the winter tires last week. Overnight temps have dropped to below freezing so having a tire that isn’t a hockey puck in the cold is a bonus.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
The WS-80's I had on my GTI would barely make it through a season on the drive wheels. When it gets warm they don't do well. The various X-Ice tires do way better in this regard in my experience.

If those don't last look at some performance winters like the Michelin Pilot Alpin whatever number they're at now. They're more than adequate in my experience unless you're in a really snowy area or trying to regularly drive in the rockies or something.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

I do regularly go out in heavy snow storms deliberately, so having good snow tires is important to me. Hopefully I don't have major wear issues with the WS90, but if I do I'll go back to the X-ice Snows. I typically got about 3 winters out of them.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

I do regularly go out in heavy snow storms deliberately, so having good snow tires is important to me. Hopefully I don't have major wear issues with the WS90, but if I do I'll go back to the X-ice Snows. I typically got about 3 winters out of them.

I never had issues with the Pilot Alpin 4 on my M3 but I ended up with some Hakka R3's which were definitely better. I didn't really use them enough to figure out how fast they wear though.

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

Just get Hakkapeliittas. New R5s were released for this season. Should be excellent as usual.
I got to try my brand new studded van versions Hakka C4 for the first time today on icy roads. Worked really well, but these are still very mild conditions.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

I think I got my blizzaks halfway through the winter of '16 and probably could have replaced them last year but didn't. Definitely going to in a couple months when all the first snows hype dies down. Changed them on Saturday and this weekend I get to do my Tacoma even though the wild peaks that are on it have some sort of snow rating I think.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Looking to buy some all seasons for my Odyssey. Michelin cross climate 2 or defender 2 are what I'm looking at since they're going on sale at Costco on the 28th. The defenders are a newer tire so I don't know much about them but have heard the cross climate is a great tire all around including snow but noisy and harsher. The newer defenders supposedly have less grip overall and aren't as good in the snow but last longer (80k vs 60k warranty) and are quieter/ride better. I've got some older defenders on the car now that made me confident enough to not buy snow tires and wheels since they were good enough in the snow. The interior is noisy as hell anyway because it's a big rear end van so maybe noise is less of a concern. They're not far off on price, like 20 or 30 bucks different per with the cross climate being more expensive.

Help my indecisive rear end choose. The defenders are probably good enough but my race van will have more grip with the cross climates...:getin: I just got there not too harsh and loud. Anybody have experience with them?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
i have cross climate 1's on my 4wd Element and i'm a believer. no experience with the defenders

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

cc2s on my cx-5 are great, currently handling snow and ice for a second year with aplomb. i don't think they are particularly noisy and handle well but ymmv with your vehicle.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
Depends on your location and use. I sell a shitload of the CC2 and G/Y Weatherreadys, but I'm in the frozen hellscape of the upper Midwest. If you're someplace where snow is a more occasional thing, and you want the longer life, the Defender 2 is an excellent tire as well.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Detroit area. We don't get lake effect snow and it's been pretty mild the last few years. I still have to commute a couple times per week.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
I'd rock the cross climates there. If you only commute a couple days a week, you'll probably age out the Defender before you'd get close to the mileage. My wife has a 4 mile a day round trip, and she's got Pirelli P7+ for the summer and Ice Zero FR for the winters. I'll be replacing them at 10 years with about 3/4 of the tread left.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Alright thanks.

10 years? Won't they be cracked and dry rotted by then? I thought tires had about a 5 year lifespan or so.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

6 was what I remember being the rule of thumb.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
I'd evaluate each tire for dry rot or weather checking, but generally 10 years is where I (and my employer) draw the line at any service that requires a dismount from the wheel. Odds are really good that you'll rip chunks out of the bead dismounting or remounting the tire, even with generous application of lube. Especially if they've been exposed to a lot of sunlight, I've seen tires that are 3-4 years old absolutely destroyed because of UV exposure.

Personally, I've got a set of 6 year old winters and 4 year old UHP all seasons on my car, and I'm not too concerned about the age on either. Rubber is still very pliable when I'm remounting them, and there's no cracking or dry rot anywhere. They'll get replaced at 10 years regardless, or when they start to show any signs of dryness or cracking in the outer rubber.

Edit: this is not to say every tire is good for 10 years. I've absolutely refused service on some real gnarly tires in the 6-8 year range, going off the production date. But most major manufacturers say that a 10 year service life from the production date is what they expect from their products.

https://www.michelinman.com/auto/auto-tips-and-advice/tire-buying-guide/when-do-i-need-new-tires

https://www.goodyear.com/en-US/learn/tire-basics/how-long-do-tires-last

https://m.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=138

PitViper fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Dec 24, 2022

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

PitViper posted:

I'd evaluate each tire for dry rot or weather checking, but generally 10 years is where I (and my employer) draw the line at any service that requires a dismount from the wheel. Odds are really good that you'll rip chunks out of the bead dismounting or remounting the tire, even with generous application of lube. Especially if they've been exposed to a lot of sunlight, I've seen tires that are 3-4 years old absolutely destroyed because of UV exposure.

Personally, I've got a set of 6 year old winters and 4 year old UHP all seasons on my car, and I'm not too concerned about the age on either. Rubber is still very pliable when I'm remounting them, and there's no cracking or dry rot anywhere. They'll get replaced at 10 years regardless, or when they start to show any signs of dryness or cracking in the outer rubber.

Edit: this is not to say every tire is good for 10 years. I've absolutely refused service on some real gnarly tires in the 6-8 year range, going off the production date. But most major manufacturers say that a 10 year service life from the production date is what they expect from their products.

https://www.michelinman.com/auto/auto-tips-and-advice/tire-buying-guide/when-do-i-need-new-tires

https://www.goodyear.com/en-US/learn/tire-basics/how-long-do-tires-last

https://m.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=138

Is your avatar related to your employer at all?

Not hating, I have bought several sets of tires from walmart and had fairly good experiences, even/especially with the cheapies (that have good reviews/pictures on the site).

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
Same corporation, different sign on the building. I'd have jumped to tires at Walmart instead, but I'd rather not do lube services too. All I do currently is tires, the more fun stuff gets done at home on the side.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Aside from traction not being what it should be, which may or may not cause you to crash and die when your car sets on fire and you horribly horribly burn to death, what if anything are the issues with running directional tires backwards?

Does it damage the tire in some way, or reduce its life span?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
It is fine other than not working properly in the wet.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
I've seen tires mounted all manner of incorrectly. Besides not evacuating water properly, they may also have significantly more road noise when mounted backwards.

Bear in mind there's directional, and rotational. Stuff like the Continental DWS, Pirelli Pzero, Michelin Pilot Sports will have an inside/outside marking to show how they should be mounted (and this is the most common fuckup I see). Probably less noticeable, but I'm sure if you tested them back to back there would be an impact on traction, road noise, or possibly longevity.

Others like the Crossclimate, the old Goodyear Tripletred, and the new Pirelli WeatherActive need to be mounted as passenger/driver side, because they'll have a rotation direction that they're supposed to run. I see these hosed up less often, but they're the most noticeable as far as wet/snow traction as well as road noise being significantly worse if they're mounted backwards.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
Could smaller than oem tires( r50 to r45) affect the electric power steering tuning of a 2012 acura tsx?

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

With all the rain in California lately I’ve had a lot of opportunities to test the PS4S in the rain and I am really impressed. I’ve never had a tire able to communicate the wetness of the pavement as well as these things do, you can feel a distinct progression. Other tires have been more binary between wet and hydroplaning.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!

Head Bee Guy posted:

Could smaller than oem tires( r50 to r45) affect the electric power steering tuning of a 2012 acura tsx?

I meant to answer this days ago, but life happened. As long as all 4 tires are the same size, I can't imagine that having a substantial impact on the power steering. But going from a 50 profile to a 45, make sure you're not dripping below the allowable load index. Plus you'll throw your speedo off by a bit as well, it'll read higher than your actual speed.

Generally I just tell people trying to downsize "no" by default, because there's generally no good reason for it other than possibly price point on certain vehicles. Most people want to do it either due to availability of a certain model tire, or more commonly because the smaller size is a more common fitment and thus cheaper.

Generally if you go shorter profile in the sidewall, you'll compensate by going wider across the tread to end up with a closer overall rolling diameter. I run 265/35R18 instead of 245/40R18 on one car, because I'm running a wheel that's an inch wider but wanted to keep the same overall rolling diameter.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer

PitViper posted:

I meant to answer this days ago, but life happened. As long as all 4 tires are the same size, I can't imagine that having a substantial impact on the power steering. But going from a 50 profile to a 45, make sure you're not dripping below the allowable load index. Plus you'll throw your speedo off by a bit as well, it'll read higher than your actual speed.

Generally I just tell people trying to downsize "no" by default, because there's generally no good reason for it other than possibly price point on certain vehicles. Most people want to do it either due to availability of a certain model tire, or more commonly because the smaller size is a more common fitment and thus cheaper.

Generally if you go shorter profile in the sidewall, you'll compensate by going wider across the tread to end up with a closer overall rolling diameter. I run 265/35R18 instead of 245/40R18 on one car, because I'm running a wheel that's an inch wider but wanted to keep the same overall rolling diameter.

Thanks! I’ve been trying to identify an odd feeling in the steering wheel (which isn’t always there) that feels like choppy force feedback from a down-market video game wheel.

And I indeed got a slightly smaller tire because I love BFG comps, and costco had them on sale. Paying for it dearly on bumpy roads, though. And it does look slightly goofy.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Someone finally did official testing on tire width vs wheel width... matches up with what 949 Emilio / Andy Hollis have been saying for like a decade. Maybe now the stigma towards a non bubbled sidewall can die

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=296

quote:

Summary
So what did we learn? The key takeaways are that in the dry, a wider tire does not automatically mean faster lap times. Using a wheel width that properly supports the tire will provide faster laps than a wider tire with very little wheel support. We saw this in our testing - the 215/45R17 tire on the 9" wide wheel was noticeably faster than the much wider 245/40R17 tire on the 7" wide wheel. That's not to say tire width doesn't matter, though, as the 225/45R17 combinations were all faster than the 215/45R17s. The 245/40R17 on the 9" wide wheel was very close to the 225/45R17 on the same wheel. If we could fit a 10" wheel width on our test cars, the pattern seems to indicate a 245 on a 10" would have been the fastest combination of all.

In the wet, a narrower tire is generally faster than a wide one, and once again, more support from the wheel is better. The 215s on the 8s and 215s on the 9s were the fastest combinations in the wet. The 215s on 7s, 225s on 8s, and 225s on 9s were a step back from there, and all the 245s, along with the 225s on 7s, set the slowest wet laps of the test.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
That tracks with what I've felt on the fun car, I'm running 265/35R18 on a 9" wheel, but it feels a little softer than when I was running 245/40R18 on the same width wheel. I'll probably go back to the narrower tire next change, but I'll stick with the Michelin Pilot Sports. They've been my favorite of the last several tires I've tried.

It's also encouraging me to get my daily on some 17x8 or 17x9 wheels for the summer set, which is not what I wanted to spend money on this year.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

BlackMK4 posted:

Someone finally did official testing on tire width vs wheel width... matches up with what 949 Emilio / Andy Hollis have been saying for like a decade. Maybe now the stigma towards a non bubbled sidewall can die

Yup. I run 245 RS4's on a 9" wheel, and have driven 225 RS4's on a 9" (similar datecode and similar wear) back to back at both track and autox - having a bunch of miata buddies and going hey wanna swap wheels and see the difference is always great. I was faster on the 245's in both scenarios, I expect because braking *felt* better. My comparison has all been dry though, and given how small the delta between the two was in the tire rack test I'm unsurprised my experience basically matches their results.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

BlackMK4 posted:

thats interesting, i guess the stretched tire guys were onto something.

i was planning to go for square 275s on 18x9.5 wheels, but now it sounds like i should shoot for a 245 or 255 instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

BlackMK4 posted:

Thanks for linking that. Next tires might be skinnier. Their description of 245s on 9s matches what I've felt too.