Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The avatar has left the Earth far behind to seek a solution to dwindling natural resources in the form of a rare element especially susceptible to bending: unobtanium. But will a newly discovered planet rich in this rare metal save the Earth or initiate a new conflict?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also if the last series is any indication, the new Avatar will likely only be able to talk to Korra (which could be amusing I’ll admit)

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Larryb posted:

Korra was Avatar in the 1920s/30s so I’m curious how much further in the future this one will be

Avatars tend to live a while, if she died at a hundred or so the new series will be in Avatar's 2020s. It makes sense they'd be aiming for modern day for this one.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
tbh Korra does not strike me as the kind of person who lived a long life.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Sort of curious how bending is going to work in the modern age (Korra already saw a few advancements in technology that gave non-benders a slightly more even playing field)

Also I’m almost positive Janet Varney will return to reprise her role in some capacity

Comedy Option: Toph is somehow still alive and as ornery as ever

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

The old Avatars maybe gone, but they will live on through the Avatarverse equivalent of the internet through memes.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Korra kind of united the two realms at the end there, so it could potentially upend the near-past society they set up.
Could be some kind of very spiritual tech-heavy deal where bending dovetails with tech. Could be some hosed up poo poo where non-benders are ostracized and don't have access to bending-reliant tech. Anti-Spiritualist Factions. Etc

Definitely interesting to see what they end up on.

Open Source Idiom posted:

tbh Korra does not strike me as the kind of person who lived a long life.
Yeah she got hosed up real bad by the last season.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Is this a reliable site? It doesn't even do so much as vaguely hint about its sources--which i guess is understandable if true--but also, that image is fanmade.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

drrockso20 posted:

Have them do a seemingly at first completely unrelated Mecha series until we find out during the first season's finale that one of the supporting cast members has been the current Avatar undercover for one reason or another to the shock of both the audience and the non bending pilot main character

drrockso20 posted:

Had an idea in this vein, would be set about 200 years after Korra's time, the protagonist and current Avatar is the fifth* since Korra and is an Earth Bender who only was discovered to be the Avatar about a year or two before the show starts(his immediate predecessor died as an infant without being discovered at all, so everyone spent the last 20 years or so looking for a Water Bender), and well the world is basically a complete shithole at this point, so this Avatar has a ridiculously uphill battle if they want to achieve anything meaningful

*yes five Avatars in a 200 year period is a lot, basically Korra gets assassinated a couple years after the end of the show, and as for the four that are between her and the new one, well her immediate successor makes it to their 60's before dropping dead from a heart attack or stroke due to stress and poor diet, the next one makes it into their mid 80's but spends just under 60 of those in a coma, the next one dies in their early 30's fighting a war, and as mentioned the one immediately prior to the current Avatar died as an infant

drrockso20 posted:

Hence why things go so badly for the four Avatars between Korra and our new Avatar, by his time Korra is in many respects the most hated person in the world(and Aang and Roku aren't considered much better) as most of what's gone wrong in the world is pretty much considered her and her two immediate predecessors fault

I remember as a teen thinking it would end up being a knockoff of Fullmetal Alchemist in terms of setting except with Bending in place of Alchemy
Dug up my ideas for post Korra series, which are probably dumb but honestly I doubt the actual series we get will be particularly good either as pretty much everything Avatar related made after ATLA has been of mixed quality at best

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Argue posted:

Is this a reliable site? It doesn't even do so much as vaguely hint about its sources--which i guess is understandable if true--but also, that image is fanmade.

Fairly reliable from what I’ve seen, yes

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I really ought to re-watch Korra. I was super mixed on it at the time. A show I liked more in theory than in practice.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Yeah, I tried rewatching it at some point in the past few years, but I honestly couldn’t bear it in light of real life context in the years since it came out.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I rewatched it a year or two ago. It was a good time, but that first season is uneven, season 2 is actually dire and the worst the Avatar franchise has been, and 3 and 4 are great, but it is awkward how it basically has to take away all the unique urban stuff and instead ape the globe trotting part of its predecessor to be more focused and consistent.

Season 4 is funny when you remember they redeemed Kuvira in the follow up comics lol. She's full on fascist and spared out of pity.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Season 2 does at least introduce some fun characters that get expanded upon later and the Avatar Wan story wasn’t bad in my opinion. Otherwise, yeah it’s probably the worst of the bunch and actually causes Korra to regress a bit in terms of character development (though to be fair, the series wasn’t originally meant to last longer than one season). The show doesn’t really get good until you hit the back half

Am I correct in assuming that most of the post-series (for either series) comics generally suck?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

MorningMoon posted:

I rewatched it a year or two ago. It was a good time, but that first season is uneven, season 2 is actually dire and the worst the Avatar franchise has been, and 3 and 4 are great, but it is awkward how it basically has to take away all the unique urban stuff and instead ape the globe trotting part of its predecessor to be more focused and consistent.

One thing I seem to recall - and my memory is kind of bad + having not seen it in a while - is it felt like even the later seasons Korra kinda gets chumped a lot. Beaten up, chained up, that sort of thing. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing for a hero to be defeated but it felt like that happened more than maybe it needed to.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Yeah, like how she gets her rear end whooped by Kuvira in their first one-on-one… which took place after they had made a whole mini-arc of showing that she had (seemingly) made her peace with her trauma. Especially when she had actually been fairly handily winning and in control for the first part of the fight.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

That was honestly one of my biggest problems with the series, they made Korra too flawed. Aang made mistakes and suffered setbacks but he also got a lot of times to shine and show the audience why he's the hero. Korra pretty much fucks up constantly, is always having some sort of crisis or relationship drama and loses most of the fights she's in. It doesn't make her relatable, it just makes her look incompetent and lame. Which is especially frustrating to see in a female action heroine who's introduced like she's supposed to be a bending prodigy even by Avatar standards.

There's a big scene where Korra says she's the worst Avatar ever and all I could think of was that she's probably right and it wasn't an endearing thought.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Larryb posted:

Season 2 does at least introduce some fun characters that get expanded upon later and the Avatar Wan story wasn’t bad in my opinion. Otherwise, yeah it’s probably the worst of the bunch and actually causes Korra to regress a bit in terms of character development (though to be fair, the series wasn’t originally meant to last longer than one season). The show doesn’t really get good until you hit the back half

Am I correct in assuming that most of the post-series (for either series) comics generally suck?

I read two of the series before tapping out entirely of the comics. One was The Promise, which was supposed to tackle the problem of removing the Fire Nation colonies from the Earth Kingdom. It had a lot of little things I didn't like that just kept piling up, such as:

- Zuko making Aang promise to kill him if he becomes as bad as his dad, when he knows how much Aang abhors killing.
- Zuko making the boneheaded decision to ask loving Ozai for advice on how to handle this political snafu, rather than going to Iroh in the first place. They even had Iroh himself jokingly point this out in the end, which just makes this writing choice even more bizarre.
- Mai breaks up with Zuko which never felt organic, and rather felt like the writers capitulating to shippers who wanted Zuko with someone else.
- Toph having a moment of self-reflection that maybe pushing her students so hard to be Metalbenders is similar to how her own parents tried their hardest to mold her into what they wanted, except hearing that was just what her students needed so Toph, and by extension, her parents, were right all along???
- Aang has a fanclub of randos who are appropriating Air Nomad culture, which he is rightfully pissed about. The comic ends with him accepting this and teaching them which just...feels so off.

The other was The Search, which character assassinated Ursa so hard. It explained that the reason no one found her during the cartoon was because she made a deal with a spirit to lose all her memories (including her own children ffs) in exchange for getting a new face and life. She's presented as sympathetic because she was ~so sad about what she went through~ and how she's a good mom to her new daughter, but it just doesn't work because Azula's right there so it makes it look like Ursa just abandoned her kids and got herself a replacement family.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Argue posted:

I don't like them. They post rumors. They were right like once but that's all.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

And even if it is true we still likely won’t get much further info for another 2-3 years

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Nephthys posted:

That was honestly one of my biggest problems with the series, they made Korra too flawed. Aang made mistakes and suffered setbacks but he also got a lot of times to shine and show the audience why he's the hero. Korra pretty much fucks up constantly, is always having some sort of crisis or relationship drama and loses most of the fights she's in. It doesn't make her relatable, it just makes her look incompetent and lame. Which is especially frustrating to see in a female action heroine who's introduced like she's supposed to be a bending prodigy even by Avatar standards.

There's a big scene where Korra says she's the worst Avatar ever and all I could think of was that she's probably right and it wasn't an endearing thought.

There's a reason that concept of mine wholeheartedly agrees that Korra is the worst Avatar ever and leans rather harshly on the legacies of Aang and Roku as Avatars as well

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
Didn't the recent Voltron show go "Action? Giant RObot Fights? Nah gently caress that, more shipping" about midway into season 1?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Fivemarks posted:

Didn't the recent Voltron show go "Action? Giant RObot Fights? Nah gently caress that, more shipping" about midway into season 1?

Little later than that, but yeah it stops being about the mech fighting all about who wants to gently caress who eventually.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Fivemarks posted:

“We’re gonna queerbait the hell out of Keith and Lance, and then eventually reveal it’s Shiro who’s actually gay.”

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

The_Doctor posted:

“We’re gonna queerbait the hell out of Keith and Lance, and then eventually reveal it’s Shiro who’s actually gay.”

"And then kill his husband three seconds after we introduce him and then stick with him a background extra we made up specifically because we got called out on how lovely it was that we did a Bury Your Gays without even realizing it because we're imbeciles."

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

To be fair they established super early on that Lance was into Allura which gave the series ample time to establish and explore the relationship.

When did they finally do that? The seventh season. Did they lay hints and build up to it so it was finally cathartic after tense 'will they won't they?' No. Are they even together at the end of the series? Also no.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

To be fair they established super early on that Lance was into Allura which gave the series ample time to establish and explore the relationship.

When did they finally do that? The seventh season. Did they lay hints and build up to it so it was finally cathartic after tense 'will they won't they?' No. Are they even together at the end of the series? Also no.

And this is after like three and a half seasons of Allura having more believable romantic chemistry and development with Lotor to the point where Lance honestly comes off as a creepy jealous incel third wheel in the relationship at times before the "He's suddenly Turbo Hitler" shoe both materialized from nothing and dropped in the same episode.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
Honestly the romantic relationship writing in Avatar has never really been all that good, and feels like most of it is the audience filling in the blanks themselves.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Neeksy posted:

Honestly the romantic relationship writing in Avatar has never really been all that good, and feels like most of it is the audience filling in the blanks themselves.

It's the weakest aspect of the comics too. Practically every sentence Aang and Katara say to each other is prefaced with the equivalent of "As your girlfriend/boyfriend, I..."

The comics are really drat good otherwise though.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

nine-gear crow posted:

And this is after like three and a half seasons of Allura having more believable romantic chemistry and development with Lotor to the point where Lance honestly comes off as a creepy jealous incel third wheel in the relationship at times before the "He's suddenly Turbo Hitler" shoe both materialized from nothing and dropped in the same episode.

They absolutely forgot to write Lance and Allura like they were going to wind up together until far too late, but they didn't even wind up together so the rules are made up and the points don't matter.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Fivemarks posted:

Which is why Netflix Voltron sucks eggs, and this is coming from someone who is a huge sucker for romantic schmaltz

Neeksy posted:

I always thought they handled the main three ships of ATLA(Aang/Katara, Zuko/Mai, and Sokka/Suki) fine and in a reasonably organic way, at least within the show proper

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

They absolutely forgot to write Lance and Allura like they were going to wind up together until far too late, but they didn't even wind up together so the rules are made up and the points don't matter.

And even when they were dating in the final season, their relationship consisted mostly of Lance constantly worrying about everything Allura did while she just kind of ignored him while focusing on saving the multiverse. Then she died and Lance spent the rest of his life on a farm growing her favorite space flowers and this was supposed to be a happy ending.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rhonne posted:

And even when they were dating in the final season, their relationship consisted mostly of Lance constantly worrying about everything Allura did while she just kind of ignored him while focusing on saving the multiverse. Then she died and Lance spent the rest of his life on a farm growing her favorite space flowers and this was supposed to be a happy ending.

Which is also a weird character assassination of Lance whose passion was genuinely being a pilot but no, he's gonna be a farmer. Which is also uncomfortable because he's Latinx. That's what they do, right?

Hunk also got it bad, too. Cooking was his hobby. He was an engineer, but fat guys like to eat~!

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think there's a common problem with a lot of romance stories where writers are so much more interested in the beginning part where romance is being pursued rather than the parts where the characters are in a steady, stable long-term relationship.

If a series can't end on the moment when the characters profess their undying love, then it's pretty likely a writer will run out of ideas and break up the couple or kill one of them off. It's a big problem in superhero comics.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
Between this and RWBY and Avatar, I have learned one thing.

Shipping is a cancer, and must be destroyed. Never listen to your fanbase, especially when they want their ship to be canon. Don't put people together just because the fanbase thinks they'd be hot together.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Korra and Asami is tolerable to watch primarily because the writers didn't actually realise they were going that way until quite late, up until nearly the end they were writing them as just a deepening friendship.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MikeJF posted:

Korra and Asami is tolerable to watch primarily because the writers didn't actually realise they were going that way until quite late, up until nearly the end they were writing them as just a deepening friendship.

Having only seen the first season of Korra, I support Korra and Asami getting together, because 1) they're both great characters and pairing them up is a smart idea, and 2) Korra and Mako had all the romantic chemistry of wet fish and Mako, as much as I adore him, is a massive dork and is out of Korra and Asami's league, so the fact that both of the women he had romantic interests in over the course of the show wound up together without him is loving hilarious.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Rhonne posted:

Which is just them doing a bad knockoff job of Gurren Lagann's ending

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

nine-gear crow posted:

Korra and Mako had all the romantic chemistry of wet fish

A part of that is that the writers always intended that pairing to fail, and they're not particularly subtle writers on romantic fronts so the lack of chemistry and flaws were always going to be extremely heavy when it was being done deliberately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

They absolutely didn't intend for it to fail, because at the time they were making it they thought they only had one season to work with and blew something like 1/3 to half the runtime on some kind of love quadrangle that ends up with Korra and Mako together at the climax of the story.

It's just that they had zero interest in trying to develop an existing relationship so it falls apart immediately after they got renewed.

MikeJF posted:

It's also 100% in the preliminary pre-relationship phase for the entirety of the show's runtime.