Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

would upgrading my 3700x to a 5700x make some difference? It's cheap upgrade atm at 200 bux and I can keep my board

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Dec 23, 2022

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG

Spergatory posted:

Sure do love having my silver sword about to break in the middle of a mission even though I just repaired it! :thumbsup:

I forgot, do weapons and armor actually break, i.e. they're gone from the inventory, or is it just that their statistics get worse?

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Staltran posted:

I think that specific werewolf can bug out, it's the only werewolf I remember regenerating faster than I could damage it. The oil might very well not be enough, you'd need the silver dust bomb or dimeritium bombs to shut down the regen.

Did you check to see if you were fighting him during a full moon?

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
120 hours into the game and i just learned that oils don't disappear once you use them

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Playing through this for the first time on Death March difficulty, game seems really good so far. I'm 20 hours in and I'm just chugging through all the question marks in Velen and having a blast. I'm surprised how down people are on the combat, it's not amazing but I think it's about as good as western developed games get. At least nothing has been a damage sponge so far.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Mikojan posted:

would upgrading my 3700x to a 5700x make some difference? It's cheap upgrade atm at 200 bux and I can keep my board

Would net you about a 30% gain in fps. If you can swing it thr 5800x3d which should net you close 60 fps. Turn down the npc density. That is a major driver low fps.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Audax posted:

120 hours into the game and i just learned that oils don't disappear once you use them

It was embarrassingly long into my first playthrough that I discovered this and I think it's fair to miss it because the first two games treated oils and options are craft-and-consumables rather than unlocks.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

You know I don’t have arachnophobia but there’s something deeply unsettling and just…not okay about arachnomorphs in Witcher 3. Did they uprez the model with the patch? They’re…disturbingly detailed, and I’m wondering if that’s just my forgetting how creepy and hairy they always looked or if they made them real uncanny with the graphics upgrade.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Dec 23, 2022

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

macabresca posted:

I forgot, do weapons and armor actually break, i.e. they're gone from the inventory, or is it just that their statistics get worse?

iirc they don't disappear from inventory they just can't be used until repaired

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Alchenar posted:

It was embarrassingly long into my first playthrough that I discovered this and I think it's fair to miss it because the first two games treated oils and options are craft-and-consumables rather than unlocks.

Also it makes very little sense to have a consumable that never runs out but needs to be constantly reapplied from the pause menu.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I mean to be fair decoctions/potions are actually technically both, you craft and use them and they get refilled whenever you meditate by using alcohol from your inventory. So in theory I guess you could meditate and have no alcohols of any type in your inventory and not get them back.

It’s still a dumb as poo poo mechanic to be sure but well, technically they have a consumption limit.

Re: the oils: it’s why the skill that makes oils infinite is Literally The Best Skill In The Game

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

MikeC posted:

Would net you about a 30% gain in fps. If you can swing it thr 5800x3d which should net you close 60 fps. Turn down the npc density. That is a major driver low fps.

I literally did this, went from 3700x to 5800x3d just for this game. I didn't do a lot of testing with it, but it didn't seem to net me all that much fps gain. I didn't mess with any settings though, just tried to get RT functional at 1440p. I'm hoping patches can help me out more before I give it another shot.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

NieR Occomata posted:

I mean to be fair decoctions/potions are actually technically both, you craft and use them and they get refilled whenever you meditate by using alcohol from your inventory. So in theory I guess you could meditate and have no alcohols of any type in your inventory and not get them back.

It’s still a dumb as poo poo mechanic to be sure but well, technically they have a consumption limit.

Re: the oils: it’s why the skill that makes oils infinite is Literally The Best Skill In The Game

i think potion brewing is okay. it leads to situations where you're caught off guard because you got cocky or forgot to prepare. oils just make no sense. they're purely a hassle. because you're pausing the game, applying them doesn't even have a temporal cost.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

UP AND ADAM posted:

I literally did this, went from 3700x to 5800x3d just for this game. I didn't do a lot of testing with it, but it didn't seem to net me all that much fps gain. I didn't mess with any settings though, just tried to get RT functional at 1440p. I'm hoping patches can help me out more before I give it another shot.

https://youtu.be/ILU1K5IfnRk

This guy has a 5800x3d getting close to 60 on what appears to be some cpu bound situations.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Mikojan posted:

3700x 3080, RT (without reflections) High settings, DLSS balanced, 3440x1440

42+ FPS in cities
60FPS countryside

A bit of a bummer as I was hoping DLSS would pull more weight here.

Actively considering upgrading my box to a zen 4 but I'd haver to replace my board and cooler as well, on top of that I'd lose my windows licence. And even after that massive upgrades are not guaranteed.

I really hope they fix the core usage to stress more than just 2 cores. But that seems like one hell of an endeavor for something that isn't a new game. But they spent a lot of time on this update so one may hope..

Did you turn off hairworks? My understanding is that’s a huge FPS drain.

Psycho Mantits
Oct 6, 2009

NieR Occomata posted:

You know I don’t have arachnophobia but there’s something deeply unsettling and just…not okay about arachnomorphs in Witcher 3. Did they uprez the model with the patch? They’re…disturbingly detailed, and I’m wondering if that’s just my forgetting how creepy and hairy they always looked or if they made them real uncanny with the graphics upgrade.

All of the monsters got updated textures with the upgrade.

As someone with pretty severe arachnophobia (in therapy for it among other things) I am not looking forward to my first encounter with them. :shepicide:

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

NieR Occomata posted:

Wait, that skill exists?!

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Mike the TV posted:

Did you check to see if you were fighting him during a full moon?

...Actually I vaguely remembered that being the case, but I managed to convince myself that's not actually a thing after I couldn't find anything on google.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Gort posted:

Wait, that skill exists?!

Yes, upgrade oil charges skill to 3. It also lets you apply 3 oil charges at once to a weapon. There is quite literally no earthly reason to not max it if you run oils especially since you can just run around with the only two oils you can equip on your steel weapon permanently and then run some combination of necrophage/ specter/flex for the silver. It’s so convenient.

Psycho Mantits posted:

All of the monsters got updated textures with the upgrade.

As someone with pretty severe arachnophobia (in therapy for it among other things) I am not looking forward to my first encounter with them. :shepicide:

Dude I would really strongly recommend steering clear of arachnomorphs. Like genuinely they’re so goddamn disgusting looking and furry now they were creeping me the motherfuck out and again, not an arachnophobe.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Dec 23, 2022

Psycho Mantits
Oct 6, 2009

NieR Occomata posted:

Dude I would really strongly recommend steering clear of arachnomorphs. Like genuinely they’re so goddamn disgusting looking and furry now they were creeping me the motherfuck out and again, not an arachnophobe.

My first time through the areas added by Hearts of Stone (the cave you gotta enter for the enchanter in particular) saw me playing the game with my glasses off and the sound muted. Might just do that again if need be, lol.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
The next-gen update getting a launch date is what got me to finally upgrade my CPU. Went from an 8700K to 13600KF. So far at 1440p with RT and DLSS I don't think I've been CPU bound. I'm overclocking it to 5.5GHz Pcore/ 4.3GHz Ecore, and according to HWiNFO64 none of the threads have hit 100% utilization during gameplay. The largest city I've been to so far is Oxenfurt though, so that's probably not going to hold up.

I'm taking my sweet time combing my way through Velen this time. So far I've found a bunch of things I missed last playthough. No idea how I managed to overlook the pig village.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

NieR Occomata posted:

From where I’m standing, Witcher 3 does a lot/almost all of the problems BOTW has, where weapon degradation is super restrictive and unfun, there’s a ton of time spent in menus, those menus specifically are loving terrible (everything about how to track down and make what you need for alchemy is just the worst poo poo in the world), the combat feels loose and simplistic and unfun as designed, the game is restricted by really stringent systems like stamina (in original release, it’s fine now) and fall damage and carrying capacity, a lot of time is spent on busywork like buff management et al…the difference between the two is The Witcher’s worldbuilding and storytelling is second to loving none and all of the issues I raised are worth tolerating to experience this game’s narrative (even the objective issues like how it crashes all the mother loving time now due to the new patch). Breath of the Wild’s systems only exist in service of itself because its storytelling is loving laughable.

Nobody plays Zelda for the writing. It's the same story every time. I could skip every word of dialogue in that game and enjoy it no less. Witcher 3 is one of the only games that has writing good enough for me to give a poo poo about. But the gameplay in botw blows away Witcher 3. Combat, exploration, puzzles, crafting, mini games, are all more fleshed out, enjoyable, and polished in botw. And the restrictive elements in botw may seem unnecessary, but there's good intention behind it. Weapons being temporary in botw is incentive to take down enemy encampments and seek out treasure chests. The stamina gauge is incentive to complete shrines to upgrade it, and to give a sense of challenge when scaling mountains and towers. Rainstorms getting in your way makes a beautiful sunny day meaningful. Severely cold or hot weather gives you a sense of urgency. But the weather and environment also aids you. Rain gives you more stealth. Lightning can electrocute enemies. Wind can help you throw bombs further, etc. I'll take that over a weather system that does neither. And most don't know how deep and asymmetrical combat is in botw until they complete the trial of the sword challenges and are forced to kill enemies using unique and creative methods. Even looking at a youtube playthrough of it, it's pretty impressive.

And I wish most of Witcher 3's quests were on the same level as the ladies of the woods, or bloody baron. Some of them are a slog and nowhere near as good. Like the finding dandelion quest. Two hours of finding people, and being directed to go find someone else. Where in botw, I always thoroughly enjoy my game session.

Also, I suck rear end at Gwent.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Psycho Mantits posted:

My first time through the areas added by Hearts of Stone (the cave you gotta enter for the enchanter in particular) saw me playing the game with my glasses off and the sound muted. Might just do that again if need be, lol.

Yeah I just did that portion of the enchanter’s quest specifically and I was like…boy, I really do not enjoy any part of what they’re showing onscreen here.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Rinkles posted:

Also it makes very little sense to have a consumable that never runs out but needs to be constantly reapplied from the pause menu.

That, to me, is the most baffling design decision in a game that contains oh so very many.
Like, it *could* kinda sorta make sense if you couldn't re-apply them at will, a kind of immersive "it's good for the start of the fight, but then you have to wait until the next time you have a few minutes alone to do your witcher poo poo, you have to be Batman Prepared" ; but nope. You can just pop in the menu to re-oil mid-swing if you can be arsed and you don't mind taking a massive poo poo on your combat rythm.

ETA : So why isn't it just a toggle ? Because, and bear with me because this line of argument is fairly complex : gently caress you, that's why.

Kobal2 fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Dec 23, 2022

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

My favorite Baffling Design Decision is how, one, you can’t favorite items, and two, you have no way to store your items until you get to the Bloody Baron which can take you upwards of like a dozen hours. Just an insane choice. Or how you can automatically build the items you need that serve as crafting mats for blacksmith items in the smithing menu, but can’t for alchemy items in the alchemy menu cause uh gently caress you. I sure do love flipping between two different screens for five minutes to figure out what the gently caress I need to buy! Oh, what fun! I also love how there’s no buyback and sometimes there’s menu lag when selling a bunch of items in a row so whoops you sold that weapon you were trying to keep until you levelled high enough to equip it, guess it’s gone forever!

Speaking of force unequipping items, I absolutely love it whenever they do that and then you have to root through the just utterly atrocious inventory screens trying to re-equip all your items, except when the game just has the courtesy of force- re-equipping all your items sometimes because it recognizes that doing that every time the game unequips all your weapons sucks rear end. So it means they had the technology and capability and recognized this was a problem but only addressed it some of the time, because gently caress you I guess. And then it’s super rad when that force re-equip fucks up and accidentally equips some low-level piece of poo poo sword you want to sell, and you don’t realize it until you’re either wondering why enemies are taking loving forever to kill or god forbid you accidentally sell and can’t buy back the sword you actually are using. Because the game has no favoriting items option.

It’s honestly kind of impressive how literally every system in the Witcher 3 can just all work together to make this the most tedious and irritating pain in the rear end game in the world, like how sometimes flashbacks or Ciri sections will have you lose all your potions and decoctions so you will immediately have to meditate the instant a fist fight ends or something just to get your decoctions back. And then have to reapply them, rooting through the godawful potions menu that isn’t organized in any real way to get all your decoctions reapplied before you can get going, and how the game just doesn’t let you save an equipped decoctions/oils set and instantly reapplies everything for you.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Basically what I’m saying is in a stunning displaying of ludonarrative genius the video game itself is Yennefer and we, the game players, are Geralt

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

NieR Occomata posted:

My favorite Baffling Design Decision is how, one, you can’t favorite items, and two, you have no way to store your items until you get to the Bloody Baron which can take you upwards of like a dozen hours. Just an insane choice. Or how you can automatically build the items you need that serve as crafting mats for blacksmith items in the smithing menu, but can’t for alchemy items in the alchemy menu cause uh gently caress you. I sure do love flipping between two different screens for five minutes to figure out what the gently caress I need to buy! Oh, what fun! I also love how there’s no buyback and sometimes there’s menu lag when selling a bunch of items in a row so whoops you sold that weapon you were trying to keep until you levelled high enough to equip it, guess it’s gone forever!

Speaking of force unequipping items, I absolutely love it whenever they do that and then you have to root through the just utterly atrocious inventory screens trying to re-equip all your items, except when the game just has the courtesy of force- re-equipping all your items sometimes because it recognizes that doing that every time the game unequips all your weapons sucks rear end. So it means they had the technology and capability and recognized this was a problem but only addressed it some of the time, because gently caress you I guess. And then it’s super rad when that force re-equip fucks up and accidentally equips some low-level piece of poo poo sword you want to sell, and you don’t realize it until you’re either wondering why enemies are taking loving forever to kill or god forbid you accidentally sell and can’t buy back the sword you actually are using. Because the game has no favoriting items option.

It’s honestly kind of impressive how literally every system in the Witcher 3 can just all work together to make this the most tedious and irritating pain in the rear end game in the world, like how sometimes flashbacks or Ciri sections will have you lose all your potions and decoctions so you will immediately have to meditate the instant a fist fight ends or something just to get your decoctions back. And then have to reapply them, rooting through the godawful potions menu that isn’t organized in any real way to get all your decoctions reapplied before you can get going, and how the game just doesn’t let you save an equipped decoctions/oils set and instantly reapplies everything for you.

Idk maybe the 4.0 patch has fixed things but I haven’t really had any issues with any of this on my first playthrough.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

ChocNitty posted:

Nobody plays Zelda for the writing. It's the same story every time. I could skip every word of dialogue in that game and enjoy it no less. Witcher 3 is one of the only games that has writing good enough for me to give a poo poo about. But the gameplay in botw blows away Witcher 3. Combat, exploration, puzzles, crafting, mini games, are all more fleshed out, enjoyable, and polished in botw.

See to me, Witcher 3 combat and gameplay I would take over BOTW any day. Everything is subjective.

NieR Occomata posted:

My favorite Baffling Design Decision is how, one, you can’t favorite items, and two, you have no way to store your items until you get to the Bloody Baron which can take you upwards of like a dozen hours.
You can just fast travel back to White Orchard or go to Novigrad and use the one there.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

NieR Occomata posted:

My favorite Baffling Design Decision is how, one, you can’t favorite items, and two, you have no way to store your items until you get to the Bloody Baron which can take you upwards of like a dozen hours.

I thought there was a chest at White Orchard.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Plucky Brit posted:

I thought there was a chest at White Orchard.

There is. I think that was patched in later, though.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Okay I genuinely did forget about the White Orchard chest but everything else I said still stands

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
This game is definitely vastly improved by mods, luckily the writing and environments are so good, you can mod gameplay systems and UI stuff but you can't mod in a better story.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I'm still early in (dinking around in Velen) but I think they did a good job balancing all the crazy European system management/role playing poo poo with just having a pretty playable, polished and fun game. I've barely looked into the Alchemy and Crafting menus at all and even on Deathmarch I don't feel the need to tbh. It's pretty rare a game appeals to normie checklist gamers AND CRPG sickos.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019
I gotta say, coming back to it after ten some years, I'm veering closer and closer to NieR Occomata's point of view. Jesus christ, most everything about this game sucks. Combat sucks. Animations are laughable. Minigames are rubbish. Crafting can die in a fire. UI is... I don't think "suck" quite encompasses the sheer number of ways and means it endeavours to be actively awful.

And yet the game is still loving great.
I now believe this entire game (and its critical success) is a coded message to game designers everywhere to just sit down, shut the gently caress up and let the art team (visual & world/quest/dialogue building) do their thing. Possibly a paean.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Can't wait until the patch finally hits the Switch and i can dive back into the game, and discover which mods will be broken

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

ChocNitty posted:

Some of them are a slog and nowhere near as good. Like the finding dandelion quest. Two hours of finding people, and being directed to go find someone else. Where in botw, I always thoroughly enjoy my game session.

Also, I suck rear end at Gwent.

The finding Dandelion quest owns? Its you running through a series of women Dandelion was cheating on or with in increasing levels of absurdity

Gwent also owns, get good (or just use spies a lot)

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Kobal2 posted:

I gotta say, coming back to it after ten some years, I'm veering closer and closer to NieR Occomata's point of view. Jesus christ, most everything about this game sucks. Combat sucks. Animations are laughable. Minigames are rubbish. Crafting can die in a fire. UI is... I don't think "suck" quite encompasses the sheer number of ways and means it endeavours to be actively awful.

And yet the game is still loving great.
I now believe this entire game (and its critical success) is a coded message to game designers everywhere to just sit down, shut the gently caress up and let the art team (visual & world/quest/dialogue building) do their thing.

I mean the game was released in 2014 when, at the time, Skyrim was the pinnacle of open-world gaming. Lessons are learned over time and many of the complaints made by NieR were made back then as well. I mean the QoL mods existed for a reason. Its a testament to CDPR that despite the fact that all their Witcher games are honestly kinda janky, the work put into them with story and world-building means people are willing to smash their way past the brick wall to play the game. This carries through to CP2077 which was a buggy mess but people remember the characters and the supporting cast.

Your Brain on Hugs posted:

This game is definitely vastly improved by mods, luckily the writing and environments are so good, you can mod gameplay systems and UI stuff but you can't mod in a better story.

The CDPR guys consistently seem to be able to write interesting characters and have sensible dialogue in all their games. They somehow are able to lean into tropes while rarely reducing stories and people into caricatures even when diving into side quests.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I think saying the combat is bad is a bit of a meme. It's not great, but I don't think it's worse than most other western developed action games. The fact that you can engage and fight enemies that are substantially higher level than you in a reasonable amount of time without feeling like you're just bouncing off them puts it above a lot of other games imo.

Quen does seem a bit busted tho lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I never felt the combat was bad. It was never the USP or the highlight of the game but it was engaging enough and never got in the way of the real experience which was this great immersive story you were taking part in.

e: what fadam said