Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

caleb
Jul 17, 2004
...rough day at the orifice.

Oysters Autobio posted:

Question - I know its more of an action-story game with some small survivalish mechanics, but Days Gone By is on sale for $20 and I've never played it. Is the storyline and gameplay good?

It's pretty generic all around. The horde part is pretty fun but you don't get to see that until near the end and it is definitely way longer than it needs to be. It's not horrible but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I disagree, I think for that price days gone is great.

It did get a little boring towards the end but what open world game doesn't?

You can see the horde part a lot earlier. I cleared a few before leaving the first area.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Also count me in as someone who liked/loved Days Gone. Not as a survival game, though, unless it's enough that it kinda has survival vibes at most.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I finished Grounded on the weekend and I really liked it. It reminded me more of Subnautica than say, Ark or Conan Exiles, where all your crafting and building is in service to a story. Exploring the world is interesting because you can see pretty much everything from the outset. You can see the Oaktree, the Hedge, Castle Moldorc, The Shed, and the rest as soon as you out in the yard. It does a really good job at leading you were the go, not just through the story quests but just with the environment. The fact most locations can be reached early just by building is neat, but you are going to get eaten by something nasty if you go to the upper yard or sandbox too early. Also it did a really good job at making you feel like you were tiny in a backyard. Really liked crafting from bug parts and candy and other stuff that would be otherwise junk. I discovered my aracnaphobia is more activated by surprise spiders than general spiders. Seeing an orb weaver walking along, yea gently caress 'em up! But not getting back to base before the wolf spiders come out and getting chased by one, yea gently caress that poo poo. Felt so good when I was at the point where i could take those down; bless you red ant club in helping me get the spider dagger. That plus the ladybug armor made tackling orb weavers trivial and wolf spiders a lot easier. Though getting the crossbow was the real game changer.

Though full disclosure, i did start turning off things as I went though the game. I didn't bother with stam because i hate dealing with that in survival games, if only to prevent dumb deaths, and eventually I turned off hunger and thurst. Even once i could produce massive amounts of roasted bug meat and had a canteen, i still hated managing it, plus it took up so much room in my backpack. As some others mentioned earlier in the thread, the really low stacks and no way to increase inventory space early on really makes some stuff tedious. between my two bases I must have had 100 chests, all full of stuff. Though thats not really too bad as you can craft from chests. Why isn't this in other games? This is the best new game play mechanic introduced in the game. But still, just out exploring and needing to run back to your base constantly to dump off stuff you've collected was really annoying at the start. You know you're going to need clay and pebblets, and plant fiber and sprigs and lots of bug parts of all times to craft things and especially build your base and crafting stations. So that was the main reason to turned off hunger and thirst, clearing space for more useful stuff. I only turned off damage near the end, as the final defense thing was just horribly unfun and dying constantly because I didn't notice a black ox beetle chucked a rock at me was driving me nuts. Another thing that drove me nuts is a few items had such insanely low drop rates, especially super spider venom. I think I killed maybe a dozen black widows and got 2. That's a terrible drop rate, and I really wanted to make that dagger. That brings me to another thing that annoyed me, my damage always seemed really low. I followed some guides i found online for builds but none really resulted in doing one shot kills i've seen on wolf spiders.

Oh something else I want to praise is the sound design in this game. Each bug has a clear and distinct sound and they don't just go for the easy one. The wet snarl of the wolf spiders is great, while their snoring is legitimately more scary than their attack sounds. Also the adorable noises the ladybugs make made me not want to hurt them.

Also gently caress the Stump Lab. Some of the worst jumping puzzles I've ever done and had to go back because i missed the Orchid Mantis Kebab recipe the first time. Also i never saw a moth anywhere in the game. I didn't even know they were in the game until I found some parts in a chest. It was a bit moot as by then I had gotten the Assassins armor and broodmother club.

Nothing worse than coming to the oak lab to find an infected wolf spider just chilling outside was probably the worst experience I had in the game that was actually part of the game. God drat I was not expecting that. Though a funny thing happened when fighting another one of them, I shot an arrow at it and it hit one of its projectiles and they just froze in midair.

Anyways, Grounded great, and if they do a content patch later on adding new stuff I'll give it another go, someone other than Pete, maybe the bully looking kid. A story question thought, the sca.bs you find scattered around, thiose belonged to other kids dropped in the backyard right? There's enough tiny skeletons that suggest there were people other than Tully in the yard, and they mention other missing kids a few times.

I might give Long Dark another try, like Grounded and Green Hell, Neebs Gaming is doing a series on it and i learned a ton of stuff I didn't know the first time i played. Like finding a place to set up as a base. I thought I was supposed to just keep moving, trying to find stuff as i kept moving. I am curious about Green Hell, its supposed to be the more hardcore of the current survival games, but i think if you just lay off the human meat you'll be fine.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?

Evil Kit posted:

I fuckin' love Raft, but I'll be the first to admit unless you're playing Hardcore it's less of a survival game and more of a fun resource gathering crafting/building game with some adventure elements to break up the crafting and use your accumulated resources on. Once you're past the early early game food and water are sort of a non-issue except for extended expeditions onto large islands and the various story set pieces.

Still very good game and the one I'd recommend most out of that list imo, especially if you want to zen out. Some of the most gorgeous, if not best, water graphics in any game I've played. And there aren't any zombies!

Grounded gets a close second but even on the Medium difficulty the combat can be pretty brutal even once you get the hang of it. It's also very, very large of a game.

How would Raft be single player, do you think? I'm also looking at Escape the Pacific and people seem to think it's okay?

I'm a sucker for these early access craft things games.

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

Vasler posted:

How would Raft be single player, do you think? I'm also looking at Escape the Pacific and people seem to think it's okay?

Raft is just fine in single player. A little easier at the beginning since you're not having to ration food / water with other players.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Vasler posted:

What VegasGoat said. Only reason I haven't beaten the game yet is it wasn't full release when I last put it down in singleplayer, and my recent game after the full release is with a buddy and we play a bunch of different games on rotation.

Raft is great singleplayer, less resource intensive to keep up with the equipment churn, and less difficult building up food stores. Incredibly zen, and you might even find yourself giving different objects names and coming up with a bit of a story for yourself.

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017
Recently watched part of that old Alone in the Wilderness documentary about the older guy building a cabin in I think Alaska and living there for two years.

Need a Green Hell game in the woods but with the freeform building mechanics of Valheim. Must be hard to implement but it feels like Valheim has the only non preset or voxel based but still freeform building mechanics.

Maybe need to give Vintage Story another shot, even if it is voxel based.

The whole "fill the template" style is fine but Minecraft or 7DTD systems get a little old. I played Valheim and was able to basically only build stuff while rest of people did quests, and it was great.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Oysters Autobio posted:

Recently watched part of that old Alone in the Wilderness documentary about the older guy building a cabin in I think Alaska and living there for two years.

You may enjoy "four dudes playing Valheim in Alaska", featuring both a raft and a cabin that they build.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3NWdFll2X8

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.

Oysters Autobio posted:

Need a Green Hell game in the woods but with the freeform building mechanics of Valheim. Must be hard to implement but it feels like Valheim has the only non preset or voxel based but still freeform building mechanics.

Maybe need to give Vintage Story another shot, even if it is voxel based.

The whole "fill the template" style is fine but Minecraft or 7DTD systems get a little old. I played Valheim and was able to basically only build stuff while rest of people did quests, and it was great.

That guy (Dick Proenneke) lived there a lot longer than two years!

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017

Trivia posted:

That guy (Dick Proenneke) lived there a lot longer than two years!

Ah sorry just watched clips on a random YouTube channel so have no idea about how many documentaries he made.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
Just the main one, and then an additional with cut footage from the first.

The guy is the OG wilderness survival type, and the documentary is the perfect thing to watch on a cold winter's day.

A game in a similar vein to him and what he did would be cool as hell. Especially with good homesteading and building mechanics.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Trivia posted:

A game in a similar vein to him and what he did would be cool as hell. Especially with good homesteading and building mechanics.
Yeah, The Long Dark is extremely light on crafting and has no real building or anything like that. It's more a post-apocalyptic scavenging survival game that just happens to be largely set in the wilderness than an actual wilderness survival game. Something that fills that niche could be fun.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona
A buddy gifted me Zero Sievert for Christmas and it loving rules. I thought it was going to be lighter on the survival elements given you have access to merchants and regularly shifting loot, but managing water intake in particular has been surprisingly difficult and I'm interested in seeing how some of the modules change things up. Fatigue was also an issue for an embarrassingly long time as I was literally only treating it by drinking coffee and milk, not realizing you can sleep on the beds in the Green Army's part of the bunker.

Game's unforgiving as gently caress, but almost always been fair about why, and the progress lost is never enough to make me feel like I need to take a break. My first ten or so times outside the bunker I died within seconds of spotting my first enemy of any type, and that when I knew I'd end up loving the game. If you have the same kind of brain worms as me, you'll probably like it too.

eta: Anyone else playing through it have any loving idea what the crystals you're supposed to be able to find around anomalies look like? I haven't seen anything remotely close to make progress on the quest.

Sab Sabbington fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Dec 24, 2022

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
It was a real surprise, I personally just wish that early period you're describing lasted longer. Once you get a bigger backpack you go from surviving to thriving pretty much instantly.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Yeah, ZS kicks all kind of rear end.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Sab Sabbington posted:

eta: Anyone else playing through it have any loving idea what the crystals you're supposed to be able to find around anomalies look like? I haven't seen anything remotely close to make progress on the quest.

You'll come across decent sized fields loaded with 'gently caress you up' spout anomalies. In those fields spawn big crystals that act like a container. You gotta brave the spouts and rads to crack them open for the loot crystals.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

Flagstaff, Arizona

Sab Sabbington posted:

I found them, they look exactly some crystals in Terranigma on the SNES. Also do not try to pick them up without protection, it is, uh. Hot.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I recommend watching the Big Lonely (2014) but as you might gather from the name, it's not exactly a happy movie.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I decided to give Long Dark another try, and its really nice to be able to choose to focus on exploration than purely playing to avoid dying. Though just turning off aggressive animals is enough. I thought that playing at Pilgrim was going to be super easy and it was just going to throw good loot at me because I got good trail boots and a skii jacket right off the bat, but lol nope. I played for 2 hours last night and just found an hatchet before i stopped.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Sab Sabbington posted:

A buddy gifted me Zero Sievert for Christmas and it loving rules. I thought it was going to be lighter on the survival elements given you have access to merchants and regularly shifting loot, but managing water intake in particular has been surprisingly difficult and I'm interested in seeing how some of the modules change things up. Fatigue was also an issue for an embarrassingly long time as I was literally only treating it by drinking coffee and milk, not realizing you can sleep on the beds in the Green Army's part of the bunker.

Game's unforgiving as gently caress, but almost always been fair about why, and the progress lost is never enough to make me feel like I need to take a break. My first ten or so times outside the bunker I died within seconds of spotting my first enemy of any type, and that when I knew I'd end up loving the game. If you have the same kind of brain worms as me, you'll probably like it too.

Hell yeah ZS. It is unfortunately too late to tell you you could have slept in the beds in the upper right portion of the bunker where the regular dudes sleep, the Green Army bunks are easier to access from your area so glad to hear you at least got that unlocked.

one random tip:

-If you've haven't found the old crazy man in the Forest make sure to find him and get him that meat for his quest ASAP. Every raid into the Forest going forward after you do that will get you a fat chest of loot that have a chance to one of the three crafting skill books! This is huge, he's also great for getting rarer bits for making modules and quests. gently caress the Green Army, don't take their quest to kill him.

edit: also if you struggled with how to swap ammo types as much as me, it's Y I just found out. That took me way to long to learn lol.

Evil Kit fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Dec 24, 2022

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

Flagstaff, Arizona

Evil Kit posted:

Hell yeah ZS. It is unfortunately too late to tell you you could have slept in the beds in the upper right portion of the bunker where the regular dudes sleep, the Green Army bunks are easier to access from your area so glad to hear you at least got that unlocked.

one random tip:

-If you've haven't found the old crazy man in the Forest make sure to find him and get him that meat for his quest ASAP. Every raid into the Forest going forward after you do that will get you a fat chest of loot that have a chance to one of the three crafting skill books! This is huge, he's also great for getting rarer bits for making modules and quests. gently caress the Green Army, don't take their quest to kill him.

edit: also if you struggled with how to swap ammo types as much as me, it's Y I just found out. That took me way to long to learn lol.

Oh drat that sounds super nice! I wish I hadn't reflexively unloaded a pistol mag into him the moment I stepped through the door the first time!

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Sab Sabbington posted:

Oh drat that sounds super nice! I wish I hadn't reflexively unloaded a pistol mag into him the moment I stepped through the door the first time!

Did you know the unarmored Loners who tend to hang out in small groups with a guitar at campfires are non hostile? At least until you shoot at them anyways. :v:

The solo, armored Loners that wander around are murder hobos though.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

ZS:

I've started pushing into the zones after Forest and Makeshift Camp and wow, the new mutant types are actually incredibly threatening. It's nice finding where the other chunk of weapon types come from once you unlock Crimson Corp in the Industrial Zone, gonna make myself a sweet af SCAR (called SKOP) after I've saved up enough money for a SEVA Suit.

Thing I learned today: your experience level as a hunter is actually your Reputation level, and is what allows you to buy more stuff from vendors. Makes doing longer runs and bringing back more loot to earn more EXP way more worth it. Maybe it's attached to how much you kill as well?

Also try to max out one of the crafting skills with books ASAP, using the rewards to focus on one is rewarded by pretty powerful specializations.

Sab Sabbington posted:

you're a monster

Guess you're gonna tell me you're gonna join the Green Army next huh!!!

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

Sab Sabbington posted:

Poor Igor. You monster!

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Am I better off dying than having a poor raid? Because I'll have expended resources, while dying resets all that.
(Not that I currently have much choice about dying)

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

Flagstaff, Arizona

Evil Kit posted:

ZS:
Thing I learned today: your experience level as a hunter is actually your Reputation level, and is what allows you to buy more stuff from vendors. Makes doing longer runs and bringing back more loot to earn more EXP way more worth it. Maybe it's attached to how much you kill as well?

Guess you're gonna tell me you're gonna join the Green Army next huh!!!

Kills absolutely affect how much XP you gain, there are some instances where I'll get a quest item and do some very cursory, safe scouting, then head back without killing anything, and it's considerably less XP than otherwise. I've been trying to get the USB from the loving warehouse for a while now and I can easily clear the outside with my decked out Nozin Makant but have no loving idea how I'm supposed to deal with the dudes who rush me in the hallway. The runs I've abandoned after clearing the outside give tons of XP, though.

I actually feel super bad about Igor! It was like my third run I didn't die immediately! Why would he say "HEY YOU" instead of "DON'T SHOOT"!!!! Might actually restart over it--which would be fun to try anyway since I understand the mechanics more--because the Green Army are cops and I do not gently caress with cops.

Is there any consistent way to get access to water or rotten water than wait for the shop to each morning? I've found drinks to be massively more rare in loot than pretty much anything else.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

twistedmentat posted:

I decided to give Long Dark another try, and its really nice to be able to choose to focus on exploration than purely playing to avoid dying. Though just turning off aggressive animals is enough. I thought that playing at Pilgrim was going to be super easy and it was just going to throw good loot at me because I got good trail boots and a skii jacket right off the bat, but lol nope. I played for 2 hours last night and just found an hatchet before i stopped.

are animals even aggressive on pilgrim

edit: i think i would struggle to find a realistic way to die on pilgrim. maybe jumping off a cliff?

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

The Lone Badger posted:

Am I better off dying than having a poor raid? Because I'll have expended resources, while dying resets all that.
(Not that I currently have much choice about dying)

Super early on dying isn't that bad of a penalty, especially if you hadn't really gotten anything to meaningfully progress a quest or for crafting a module. You do certainly get more exp to raise your Reputation level if you successfully exfilitrate, but if you feel like you expended a bunch of early resources without much gain it's probably not the worst.

Sab Sabbington posted:

Kills absolutely affect how much XP you gain, there are some instances where I'll get a quest item and do some very cursory, safe scouting, then head back without killing anything, and it's considerably less XP than otherwise. I've been trying to get the USB from the loving warehouse for a while now and I can easily clear the outside with my decked out Nozin Makant but have no loving idea how I'm supposed to deal with the dudes who rush me in the hallway. The runs I've abandoned after clearing the outside give tons of XP, though.

I actually feel super bad about Igor! It was like my third run I didn't die immediately! Why would he say "HEY YOU" instead of "DON'T SHOOT"!!!! Might actually restart over it--which would be fun to try anyway since I understand the mechanics more--because the Green Army are cops and I do not gently caress with cops.

Is there any consistent way to get access to water or rotten water than wait for the shop to each morning? I've found drinks to be massively more rare in loot than pretty much anything else.

If you're still super early it may genuinely be worth a restart, Igor has helped get the rare bits for so many modules as well as multiple crafting skill books which are very hard to come by.

As for the Warehouse, I got kind of lucky with an early baller rear end EC 74 that came with a supressor that I repaired up with some repair box finds in raid. That, plus slightly better armor, plenty of meds and door dancing is how I (almost) cleared it the first time and have fully cleared it since. You'll probably need to replace the Nozin with an assault rifle or find an SMG of some kind, the rapid fire will let you mow multiple bandits down before you jump back out the door to heal and reload.

My very first attempt got thwarted by one bandit camped around a blind corner who didn't get lured in by all the dying screams of his comrades and jump scared me before unloading point blank into my chest to kill me. I was a little mad about it lol.

As for water/rotten water, I generally just subsisted off what I found in raid + the shop. It helps if you can get the Kitchen module installed so you can more efficiently make rotten water into clean water. Pro tip: if you have a bunch of rotten water before exfiltration and want to sate your thirst without dealing with the consequences of the rads in it, drink it right before exfiltration and when you get to the bunker all the rads will be magically gone.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
You can play The Long Dark for free right now, just go outside.

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017

RandomBlue posted:

You can play The Long Dark for free right now, just go outside.

you can also play zero sievert if you just grab a flight to Dnepropetrovsk

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Anyone got tips for bleeding in Zero Sievert? I'm starting out and caught in this terrible loop where I can't afford to buy bandages and every time I go out to scavenge some as soon as I get hit by one bullet I just bleed to death and have to start over.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Kvlt! posted:

Anyone got tips for bleeding in Zero Sievert? I'm starting out and caught in this terrible loop where I can't afford to buy bandages and every time I go out to scavenge some as soon as I get hit by one bullet I just bleed to death and have to start over.

Try not fighting people who have guns.
There's a 'suburb' area in the forest with a bunch of houses. In the centre there's a bunch of bandits, but the houses around the outside are protected only by tentacleface things that can be easily dropped with an assault-rifle-burst before they reach you. Most houses have loot. I've been building up a decent amount of cash doing runs of them.

You may be able to Craft some bandages from what you have lying around as well.

Unfortunately this rear end in a top hat won't sell me a decent backpack until I level up, which seems a long way away.
I guess all this Meat is also useless until I build a Kitchen?

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Dec 25, 2022

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Yeah, you can sell a lot of things like fur and meat early on. Hold onto anything tagged for crafting, quests, or construction, and anything that looks particularly rare, sell the rest. Really, once you know what loot is valuable and where you're most likely to get it you can literally get 12k+ on your very first raid. Finding a gameboy or electric motor will give you a huge head start, and electronic chests tend to have the best return for actual cash.

I actually recommend fighting human opponents when you're low on bandages. Animals and monsters all cause bleed with a very high incidence and humans only sometimes do, plus they can carry bandages and heals themselves.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

Flagstaff, Arizona
Some more ZS:

I did start a new run and immediately got a good head start, though it took a little longer than I'd like to grab nightvision so nights were really annoying for a bit. I got an EC74 early on and, honestly, I don't really care for it compared to the bolt actions I was using before--though I wanna try the MKM and see if a semi-auto rifle feels better. Broadly just don't like how it guzzles ammo and how important using different ammo types is when the starting Not-Mosin Nagant would just punch through everything at a huge distance.

Also tried out a sawed off, and it plays exactly like I figured it would: extremely satisfying landing a bunch of buckshot and I'm always afraid of using it because if I run out I either disengage or am, if in melee, hosed. Are the later shotguns decent? They're heavy, and I don't know how much I like the idea of lugging around 2 full-weight guns.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Verviticus posted:

are animals even aggressive on pilgrim

edit: i think i would struggle to find a realistic way to die on pilgrim. maybe jumping off a cliff?

I nearly died when i left the logging camp thinking I was on a road but nope, and couldn't find a place sheltered enough to build a fire, and i had no food becuase i didn't realize that burning was a possibility when youre cooking food. I had to trudge back to the camps stove to cook some mouldy meat i found.

And yea animals will not attack you unlike you attack them first.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
did you actually get to like 2% health or did you just start losing it cause even if youre hungry and freezing it takes hours to die

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Verviticus posted:

did you actually get to like 2% health or did you just start losing it cause even if youre hungry and freezing it takes hours to die

More like around 15%, but yea, basically you need to gently caress up real bad to die at pilgrim. Its definitely intended for carebares who just want to explore and not be on the brink of death all the time. Honestly, the only things I really wanted is the non aggressive animals thing.

Koobze
Nov 4, 2000
Regarding Zero Sievert, I am not sure if I killed Igor - I don't remember doing it specifically but I might have by accident before I realized it was something you shouldn't do. It was a long time ago so far too late to do anything about it, which is a bummer, would've been nice to get some kind of warning or popup saying it's a permanent thing now that he's dead. I don't actually recall killing him which is also annoying, I remember entering the house and finding a body lying there (which I looted). I had been mostly using the starting gun (ec74u?) until I got a quest reward with the better EC74 which I then pimped out a bit with some attachments I had scavenged, like a laser sight, scope, and flashlight. Once you have some quests done and get a backpack the money situation flips around, I think I have like 50k right now after getting some better armor and backpack from the scientists. The survival struggle was also not that bad, buying the two dirty + 1 clean water + milk each day seems to be enough and I just sleep through the dark hours since I don't have nightvision yet and am not sure if there's any special benefit to going out at night.

I agree that the shotgun - at least a simple one with just the two bullets at a time - is pretty risky, when I was using it I had it along with the EC74U in the other slot so if my two shots missed I would switch weapons and run around a bit, but generally just died. While the EC74U/EC74 do chew through ammo pretty fast, I find I have more than enough, and making basic HP/PS ammo for it is super easy so I have well over 300 rounds of both at this point and am not particularly worried about running out. I am not sure what all of the other ammos do, the game could do with some easy "compare" display between weapons and ammo but that's a minor thing.

On a different gaming note, I bought Ostranauts recently, and it is pretty janky and very early access, but it scratches the hard sci-fi survival itch really well. It's basically like Firefly: The Game, you are a spaceship scavenger and need to fly out to derelicts, bring all the tools you need (which need batteries, and the tool condition wears out) to disassemble the parts that seem valuable, drag all the poo poo back to your ship, and hopefully repair and sell it after returning to the space station. You owe a ton of money for the ship you bought, owe a bunch for docking with the station and refuelling each time, and generally struggle to survive both in terms of health (food/water/other sims-like needs) and money (to pay your loan off, to pay the docking fees etc). It's been pretty satisfying so far and not too frustrating - when things go badly it's generally my fault, like ignoring a proximity warning going off and then getting rammed by a ship and I die. There's a decent roadmap there and hopefully they deliver, so far I've sank quite some hours into it so I think it's already in decent shape for some hours of fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Ostranauts looks really good but it's definitely on my list of games to watch. Right now it looks too incomplete and way too buggy to cash in on though.