Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Steve French posted:

Update: I drove down to the factory this afternoon, told them what happened. A few of them took a look at it, and then replaced the ski, remounting with a fresh wax on both skis on the spot, no charge, while I waited with free beer.

I know a lot of these benefits aren’t present for non local folks, but I continue to be impressed by every interaction with Moment. They’re good people and I highly recommend giving them money in exchange for rad gear.

Awesome story. That's the kind of company you like to support. Glad you had such a great outcome. I don't see that happening with some of the big brands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

It is honestly way beyond any expectation of service. Big or small company.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Speaking of Moment, I've been looking at getting a new set of powder skis and as a Tahoe skier have maybe somewhat irrationally decided to go with Moment rather than get stuck deciding between 10 different brand's offerings. These skis will replace my 11 year old DPS 112RPs. The 112RPs were a ton of fun in bottomless pow, but I didn't feel like they were that great once things started getting chopped up as they seemed to get knocked around more easily than I'd expect. So I'm looking for a harder charging pow ski this time around. My current low-tide skis are J Skis Fastforwards (92mm underfoot, metal laminate), and they're honestly pretty fun/fine even in < 1' of fresh, so I don't need something that also does well as a DD. I primarily ski Tahoe, but also do tend to do 4-5 days out of state per season as well (e.g. UT, CO etc). I'm thinking my options are Wildcat or Deathwish, or even the Wildcat 108. Should I just go with the Wildcat, or maybe due to the lack of true powder days in Tahoe these days (and how fast they get skied out when they do happen) maybe consider the Deathwish or Wildcat 108? I've heard great things about all of these.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Pretty gusty and cold in Breck today.

https://twitter.com/karavanhoose/status/1606058067212132352?t=u6fBBXrsPFeefpLfC89AEA&s=19

Glad I worked instead of this

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I was pretty surprised they were open today. But people on vacation got to ski.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Splinter posted:

Speaking of Moment, I've been looking at getting a new set of powder skis and as a Tahoe skier have maybe somewhat irrationally decided to go with Moment rather than get stuck deciding between 10 different brand's offerings. These skis will replace my 11 year old DPS 112RPs. The 112RPs were a ton of fun in bottomless pow, but I didn't feel like they were that great once things started getting chopped up as they seemed to get knocked around more easily than I'd expect. So I'm looking for a harder charging pow ski this time around. My current low-tide skis are J Skis Fastforwards (92mm underfoot, metal laminate), and they're honestly pretty fun/fine even in < 1' of fresh, so I don't need something that also does well as a DD. I primarily ski Tahoe, but also do tend to do 4-5 days out of state per season as well (e.g. UT, CO etc). I'm thinking my options are Wildcat or Deathwish, or even the Wildcat 108. Should I just go with the Wildcat, or maybe due to the lack of true powder days in Tahoe these days (and how fast they get skied out when they do happen) maybe consider the Deathwish or Wildcat 108? I've heard great things about all of these.

My big skis are the Wildcat 190, which are 118 underfoot (the smaller sizes are 116). I think they're still pretty great in non-powder, though I did find myself kinda being disappointed in them skiing some chop the other day until I realized I was skiing them like the Commanders and needed to just point them downhill more and blast through stuff, and I started having a much better time. Those big ones might still leave a bit of a gap if your other skis are 92; perhaps if you go Wildcat just go at least one size down to the 184 and they'd be more maneuverable and versatile. I also doubt the 108 would feel bad, if you wanted to play it a bit safer for the less legit powder days.

For what it's worth the way it was explained to me when I asked is that the Wildcat is a powder ski, that is also good for all mountain. The Deathwish is an all mountain ski, that is also good for powder. Don't think you can really go wrong either way but my hunch is that if you mainly want something for he powder days to go Wildcat.

Real, serious, answer: just ask Moment. They're very responsive on social media, email, and their chat, so pick whichever and ask their advice, they all ski Tahoe too and will know what you're dealing with. Or just show up at the factory if you can swing a trip down to Reno from the hill.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

jamal posted:

I have a 500ml soft flask (this one but there's lots of stuff out there) i just put in an inside pocket of my ski jacket along with snacks and then don't have to wear a pack and can ski a good part of the day without stopping in the lodge.
I found this one on Amazon, selling to Europe. There are quite a few complaints that the water tastes plasticky. Was this the same to you? If so, how did you "fix" it?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Hydrapak I think has the least plastic taste of bladders out there so that is a but strange to me.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Interesting. I have a Camelbak backpack for mountain biking, and I find it relatively neutral. So if a Hydrapak is same or less, I guess everything's fine.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
Got a trip to Jackson Hole planned in Feb. Thinking about flying into SLC and driving from there since there's no direct flights, how feasible is that with a rental car? Would give myself a 2-3 day window to work around weather forecasts, otherwise could always just book a flight from SLC to Jackson

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I think the softer rubbery plastics leave the worst taste. The harder plastics like platypus seem to be more neutral tasting. Plus it goes away over time/washing.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Plank Walker posted:

Got a trip to Jackson Hole planned in Feb. Thinking about flying into SLC and driving from there since there's no direct flights, how feasible is that with a rental car? Would give myself a 2-3 day window to work around weather forecasts, otherwise could always just book a flight from SLC to Jackson

I went there for a week seven times and always just did connecting flights. Usually booked a shuttle from airport to the resort area and with the bus to town you don't need a car. Other years had friends living there and rented my own car. That mountain pass to the west does close when conditions get bad so that's a variable that can cost you a day, and it'd probably be a great day on the mountain if it's bad enough to shut down the pass, so you'll have to live with that regret the rest of your life!

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Verman posted:

I think the softer rubbery plastics leave the worst taste. The harder plastics like platypus seem to be more neutral tasting. Plus it goes away over time/washing.

Yeah, I carry a Platypus Duolock Softbottle and the water tastes fine.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Actually yeah i did get a plasticy taste the first time i used it, which was on a bike ride with it in my frame bag on a hot day, and it sat in there a few hours before i drank any of it. seems fine now.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Plank Walker posted:

This is crazy. There's no reason to do this over waiting a couple hours in the airport and taking an hour flight.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

asur posted:

This is crazy. There's no reason to do this over waiting a couple hours in the airport and taking an hour flight.

Thirding it's way better to get a connecting flight. It's not an impossible drive, we've done it during winter, but if you're already flying, I'd 100% do that instead.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Steve French posted:

My big skis are the Wildcat 190, which are 118 underfoot (the smaller sizes are 116). I think they're still pretty great in non-powder, though I did find myself kinda being disappointed in them skiing some chop the other day until I realized I was skiing them like the Commanders and needed to just point them downhill more and blast through stuff, and I started having a much better time. Those big ones might still leave a bit of a gap if your other skis are 92; perhaps if you go Wildcat just go at least one size down to the 184 and they'd be more maneuverable and versatile. I also doubt the 108 would feel bad, if you wanted to play it a bit safer for the less legit powder days.

For what it's worth the way it was explained to me when I asked is that the Wildcat is a powder ski, that is also good for all mountain. The Deathwish is an all mountain ski, that is also good for powder. Don't think you can really go wrong either way but my hunch is that if you mainly want something for he powder days to go Wildcat.

Real, serious, answer: just ask Moment. They're very responsive on social media, email, and their chat, so pick whichever and ask their advice, they all ski Tahoe too and will know what you're dealing with. Or just show up at the factory if you can swing a trip down to Reno from the hill.

Thanks for the info and advice. I think 190 might be a bit big for me anyway, 184 is probably what I'd go with. I do regret going 178 with my DPS' as with the early rise they ski so short. Wish I had gone 184 with those. And you're right I should just talk with Moment.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I have driven to Jackson from San Diego twice, but it was when I was younger and had more time than money. SLC to Jackson isn’t a bad drive and you have a couple route options to avoid road closures in bad weather. But still i agree with the thread consensus, if you’re already flying just fly all the way. It is definitely not a cheap airport to get to though, particularly compared to SLC.

jamal posted:

I have a 500ml soft flask (this one but there's lots of stuff out there) i just put in an inside pocket of my ski jacket along with snacks and then don't have to wear a pack and can ski a good part of the day without stopping in the lodge.
Picked one of these up today on my way up to Mammoth after you linked it and it is way better than the cheapo Vapor one I have used for years.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Dec 24, 2022

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

I just did that drive from SLC to Jackson then a little further up past Moran this summer for a music festival, and while it was an easy drive then, I don't think it would be a great idea in the winter when who knows what roads could be closed. I went through Caribou National Forest on Hwy 34 and I'm sure that way doesn't get plowed often. Then on the way back into Idaho I went through Teton Pass, which has signs saying it's closed pretty much anytime it snows. The views on the drive weren't anything mindblowing either, even if everything does look better snow covered it's probably still not worth it.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
The other thing is whatever you're saving initially on your flight, you'll probably more than make up for with a rental/gas. Rentals, last time I checked, are very expensive right now. You'll have more time at your destination and less likely that road conditions will gently caress you.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

I bought Pivot 14s bindings because I didn’t need the 15s, but then I found an AT conversion kit that only works with the 15s and up. Guess I need to buy new skis and AT bindings!

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Splinter posted:

Thanks for the info and advice. I think 190 might be a bit big for me anyway, 184 is probably what I'd go with. I do regret going 178 with my DPS' as with the early rise they ski so short. Wish I had gone 184 with those. And you're right I should just talk with Moment.

Mannnnnn I’m in the same boat. I went with Wildcat Tour 174 because my old Nomads 181 turned like battleships and…I have regrets. When in doubt on a full rocker + more forward factory recommended mount point, it seems like the right play is to err on the longer side. Wildcats seem to get around quicker than other skis of similar length.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Merry Christmas from chamonix! Got hit with an atmospheric river and huge warm temps the last few days, and all the ski resorts had monster inbounds wet avalanches nuke all the pistes. Backcountry is likewise hosed and it'll be a few days before anything below 3000m is accessible, if then. Watched some monster rockfall on the mer du glace today, pretty wild seeing car size boulders self-trundling every few minutes. Stay safe out there folks!

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

I should note that instead of skiing I have been spending all the ski money on food and I am now more cheese than man.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Instead of shredding the best season so far in history I'm chilling on the couch for the next 6-8 weeks after my Achilles tendon ripped my heel bone apart as I slid out on flat, level groomed snow. Hopefully I can ride in like April. For now I'll settle for being able to maybe ride the exercise bike in like a month. Or be able to drive?

I'm also always at least 2% cheese but this little setback is gonna bump it up to like at least 8%

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

:stare: ouch bro, you were loving around buttering or something weren't you lol, otherwise that's just the shittiest of luck

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Yeah I mean I had just thrown some huge grabs and had already ridden away and just sorta got a little too buttery with my tail. I wasn't really trying to butter but just being too loose with my riding because it was flat and I was rushing to get back to the newly opened double black trees with knee deep snow.

If I'd taken the more direct route through the gates to my destination as I normally do I would have been fine, but instead I took the totally flat access cat track, played around on the sides, and then ruined my season. I was trying to tell myself that it was fine and I'd be ripping the pow in no time but yeah... I had to call for a toboggan.

Always take the steep route!

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

It is a bummer and i have been there. Hopefully you are back and strong in the spring.

We did a short afternoon tour today. Shin got smoked by a buried branch. Just a big bruise though.

Going to hit up Breck for the Christmas morning laps. Then back to skinning on Monday.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
So Salomon have discontinued my favorite snowboard boots the Synapse Wide and so I have to either switch to the Salomon Echo Wide or another wide boot like the Burton Ion Wide. I prefer a stiff freeride boot with a secondary consideration that I can hike in it since I'm on foot doing mountainside work. Any opinions on the Echo vs the Ion? Also any thought on the other wide boots now available like the K2 Maysis Wide?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Spime Wrangler posted:

I should note that instead of skiing I have been spending all the ski money on food and I am now more cheese than man.

This, but with $25 tender/fry baskets, and $17 whiskey drinks

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I did the same with my soul7s. I was learning to ski after switching from snowboarding and 180s felt very long at the time but the next size down was 172s. I bought them and now wish I had the 180s.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Yesterday
https://imgur.com/gallery/wwfEfTa

Today
https://imgur.com/gallery/43Upks7

Also lost a screw off my front binding. Not ideal. Hopefully Rome hooks it up.

Yuns posted:

So Salomon have discontinued my favorite snowboard boots the Synapse Wide and so I have to either switch to the Salomon Echo Wide or another wide boot like the Burton Ion Wide. I prefer a stiff freeride boot with a secondary consideration that I can hike in it since I'm on foot doing mountainside work. Any opinions on the Echo vs the Ion? Also any thought on the other wide boots now available like the K2 Maysis Wide?

I used to ride the regular Synapse but switched to Deeluxe boots years ago. Love the stiffness. I don't know about wider versions though.

spwrozek fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Dec 26, 2022

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Spime Wrangler posted:

Yeah man the temperature in the Alps has been dreadful the past week. We had a load of snowfall yesterday but everything low down has melted and all the high terrain is unstable. Looks like you got some good skiing at the start of your trip!

Pre-christmas conditions are increasing unreliable.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

We've rented an apartment near Lech in Austria for second week of January, and it's been a pain to see everything melt away day for day on webcam. :(

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

spwrozek posted:

I used to ride the regular Synapse but switched to Deeluxe boots years ago. Love the stiffness. I don't know about wider versions though.
Thanks for the recommendation. Would love to try out Deeluxe but not sure how well they'll do for wide feet. I might just reach out to them directly to ask.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011

Yuns posted:

I have both the burton Ion and K2 Maysis wide, and prefer the K2. I believe Burton’s “wide” sizes are the same last, just with a thinner liner to give you more room. Maybe look for a touring boot that has a walk mode to make hiking easier?

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Combat Pretzel posted:

We've rented an apartment near Lech in Austria for second week of January, and it's been a pain to see everything melt away day for day on webcam. :(

I'm in Briançon or possibly Sestriere the week after and I'd also be worried except work is paying for the flights so at worst it's a few days of partying with the occasional ski run

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Whistler is so bad today that even the social media, which is usually all "just dress to stay dry and have fun out there!" has posted a message this morning all but saying "stay the gently caress home, you're going to die if you try and ski today".

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Mt baker closed over Christmas due to the icy roads and tons of rain/warmer weather. We had a great early season but the next week is going to be awful.

There was a photo of highway 2 going to Stevens pass and it was a glossy white sheet of ice. It literally looked like a hockey rink. I'd be afraid chains wouldn't be enough.

I'm just bummed I wasn't able to get out more when it was good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Southwest has cancelled my flight on thursday. looks like no canada trip for me. super bummed.