Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Ronnie going a little intense here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Hark! A Vagrant

Here’s the thing about a homosexual relationship between Holmes and Watson: you are never going to prove it. It just isn’t in the books, explicitly. It would be rad if it was but it’s not so now we are going to have arguments with no end because, maybe maybe maybe maybe. They are like James Buchanan and Willian Rufus King, who I always picture going grocery shopping together because they looked like they were the cutest little old couple, but who is to say for sure? Aside from Andrew Jackson, who had lots to say.

Eventually the idea that these two were hookin’ up between the pages gets so popular that people who never read the books will argue, “yeah man of course they were!’ That’s popular culture for you! I think it’s interesting. Between you and me, I much prefer (obviously) Gay Watson to Stupid Watson. What Watson does in his spare time is his business, now solve me some drat crimes, boys!

I’ve been drawing pirates. It seemed natural to make comics out of them! Maybe someday I will get to some sweet real pirates, like Jean Lafitte or Anne Bonny or etc etc.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

PYF Comic: gently caress's sake. What a cock.

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

Captain Hygiene posted:

PYF Comic: gently caress's sake. What a cock.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

i like to think that kate beaton Isambard Kingdom Brunel comic was the one that started the death knell of the steampunk subculture

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

MokBa posted:

I’ve been drawing pirates. It seemed natural to make comics out of them! Maybe someday I will get to some sweet real pirates, like Jean Lafitte or Anne Bonny or etc etc.

This is just Our Flat Means Death.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Push El Burrito posted:

That is a better description for The Young Ones.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Pirates being all Venture Bros I could watch an entire series of.

Also has there ever been Stupid Gay Watson?

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

TOGETHER by @hausofdecline

CW: Mention of Suicide

Theresa Horowitz: Bioluminescence Expert is the best character in the comic. Case in point:

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

And then it got worse.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Dicebox

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Push El Burrito posted:

I'd watch this spinoff

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
We have a lot of black and white art in this thread atm! Which means-

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Excellent

Sleve McDichael
Feb 11, 2019

~nice~
Incredible :pusheen: Pop Team Epic Ray is cool as hell, Achewood Popuko has Ultra Peanut vibes and I love it

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Tree Bucket posted:

Goddamn these are so good every time

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Sleve McDichael posted:

Incredible :pusheen: Pop Team Epic Ray is cool as hell, Achewood Popuko has Ultra Peanut vibes and I love it

I don't know what Ultra Peanut is!
Epic Ray (Popwood...?) should really be a lot less rad, but I just couldn't delete him when he came out looking like that.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Tree Bucket posted:

I don't know what Ultra Peanut is!
Epic Ray (Popwood...?) should really be a lot less rad, but I just couldn't delete him when he came out looking like that.

Ultra Peanut was a character from early achewood, a girl otter who occasionally hung out with Phillipe.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Aha! That's what I was going for; just couldn't remember the name.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

The old Ultra Peanut strips are another solid example of Achewood's cool, hip, definitely aged well dialogue.

click here for slurs, borderline chingchong level phonetic accents, lounge singing

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Last time on Joey's Special Experience by Hirohiko Archie: Lord Trumpet tells a young Cepelis that if he continues with his heroin training, his fate will irrevocably lead to his untimely death! Cepelis opts to finish his training regardless! Back in the present, Cepelis advances on Taro, then leaps into the air for a spinning downward kick to finish off Taro once and for all!

Read right to left:

I like how this panel sounds more coherent as a 20x machine translation. In the original he's just shouting the (incredibly stupid) name of his attack, Heaven Hell Snake Kill or something

"Joost, watch this!" *I wrap myself in a chain and immediately get cut in half by a zombie, it's unclear what move I was trying to do.*

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Tree Bucket posted:

How are you this good at it every time? As a fellow artist I am genuinely amazed at your ability to copy and synthesize all these styles. And your HAV Alexander is very close to how Beaton actually drew him.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Tree Bucket posted:

Hell yeah fantastic work as always, only Joost is missing

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Kill Six Billion Demons

Alt text: I think you already know what the next page is going to say.

quote:

Meti’s Sword Manual

Argument

1. Glory to the Divine Corpse, o breaker of infinities

2. I am Meti, of no house but myself. In my 108th year I am surrounded by fools. My compatriots cling obsessively to their destiny, and my only apprentice is an idiot speck of a girl with more talent for eating than skill with the blade. Therefore I have decided to die drowning in the boiling gore of my enemies, of which there are many.

3. My master was the greatest lord general to the king Au Vam, Ryo-ten-Ryam, who first coaxed me into learning the ways of turning men into ghosts. As his interest quickly turned to the wholly uninteresting and most useless parts of my body, I returned the favor and relieved him of his.

4. It is my personal opinion the straight sword is best if you can obtain one, but I also favor the sabre. The spear, stave, or club are peasant’s weapons of which I am wholly unfamiliar and so will not speak on them.

5. Upon meeting me, you might find that my appearance is quite dreadful and unkempt. I have been spat upon by priest, king, and merchant alike. I have no retainers, and possess nothing except a straight sword six hand spans (5 and a half kret) long (this is the proper length). This is because I am Royalty and the undisputed master of the principal art of Cutting. I will fight naked with ten-thousand men.

6. From the age of thirteen I practiced every day with the straight sword. I followed a strict vegetarian regimen, and harsh training of barefoot sprints (five) between cities, squats and breathing exercises (two bells), and sword drills and resistance training (three bells).

7. By the age of sixteen, my body was a steel edifice. I was so often mistaken for a man I began to wear my hair long with no pins and unbind my breasts. I could break stone with my hands with no effort, I could sprint between the Yellow City and the Lunar dominions in a day or less and barely strain my breath. My mastery of the sword complete, I enlisted in the Middle Army’s third legion, where I was widely respected as a swordswoman of incredible power.

8. When it came time to face my first real opponent, the Colossus of Pardos, in my youthful pride and immense skill, I brought all my training and mastery to bear. Scarcely half a day passed before my sword was shattered into thirty pieces, my right leg was almost torn from its socket, and my honed body was broken pathetically in a hundred and forty places. I defeated him by gouging his brains out through his breathing valves. My thumbs, in this case, proved far more useful.

9. At that moment, with my thumbs in his brains, I had a revelation. I had trained far too broadly. Existence and the act of combat are absolutely no different, and the essence of both, the purity of both, is a singular action, which is Cutting Down Your Opponent. You must resolve to train this action. You must become this action. Truly, there is very little else that will serve you as well in this entire cursed world.

10. I hope that by reading this manual, you will be thoroughly encouraged to become a farmer.

Alt text: Don't wear it out.

quote:

Long Live the King

quote:

Meti’s Sword Manual

Mastering the sword

1. YISUN’s glory is great, and you may know this by two paths, the sanctioned words, and the sanctioned action

2. The sanctioned words are YS ATN VARAMA PRESH. The meaning of these words is YISUN and their attainment is Royalty.

3. The sanctioned action is to Cut.

4. To Cut means division by the blade of Want, that parer of potentials that excises infinities.

5. To train with the sword, first master sweeping. When you have mastered sweeping, you must master the way of drawing water. Once you have learned how to draw water, you must split wood. Once you have split wood, you must learn the arts of finding the fine herbs in the forest, the arts of writing, the arts of paper making, and poetry writing. You must become familiar with the awl and the pen in equal measure. When you have mastered all these things you must master building a house. Once your house is built, you have no further need for a sword, since it is an ugly piece of metal and its adherents idiots.

The 18 Precepts

1. Consider: there is no such thing as a sword.

2. Your stance must be wide. You must not be spare with the fluidity of your wrists or shoulders. You must have grip on the handle that is loose and unstrained. I heard it said you must be tender with your sword grip, as though with a lover. This is patently false. A sword is not your lover. It is a hideous tool for separating men from their vital fluids.

3. Going onwards, you must adjust hands as needed, do not keep the blade close to your body, keep your breathing steady. This is the life cut. You must watch your footwork. Your feet must be controlled whether planted on fire, air, water, or earth in equal measure.

4. Breathing is very important! Is the violent breath of life in you not hot? Exhale! Exult!

5. You must strive for attachment-non-attachment when cutting. Your cut must be sticky and resolute. A weak, listless cut is a despicable thing. But you must also not cling to your action, or its result. Clinging is the great error of men. A man who strikes without thought of his action can cut God.

6. To cut properly, you must continually self-annihilate when cutting. Your hand must become a hand that is cutting, your body a body that is cutting, your mind, a mind that is cutting. You must instantaneously destroy your fake pre-present self. It is a useless hanger on.

7. A brain is useful only up until the point when you are faced with your enemy. Then it is useless. The only truly useful thing in this cursed world is will. You must suffuse your worthless body with its terrible heat. You must be so hot that even if your enemy should strike your head off, you shall continue to decapitate ten more men. Your boiling blood must spring forth from your neck and mutilate the survivors!

8. You must never make ‘multiple’ cuts. Each must be singular in its beauty, no matter how many precede it. You must make your enemies weep with admiration, and likewise should your head be shorn off by such an object of beauty, you must do your best to shed tears of respect.

9. When decapitating an enemy, it is severe impoliteness to use more than one blow.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Last time on Joey's Special Experience by Hirohiko Archie:

Flying Zamboni posted:

"Joost, watch this!" *I wrap myself in a chain and immediately get cut in half by a zombie, it's unclear what move I was trying to do.*

Read right to left:

Chapter 34 - Download It For Free Tomorrow and Continue, Part 2: END

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

e-dt posted:

When Uncle George was younger, he used to like jerks, but jerks are different these days.
I have a print of "Our every move is the new tradition" in my office. It's very classy.

And good to see Ranking of Kings back!

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

CrocodileKingSaysNO posted:

LAST TIME ON BACK

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Thank you Avril

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Welcome to Donderchat biiiiitcheeeeeeees

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I probably posted this last year too. Too bad.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Can't believe it's almost Donder's Eve!

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

Well hoot, I don't know if I can say no to that

Kit Walker posted:

Kill Six Billion Demons

I have been trying hard to get into K6BD, it feels like something I should be into, the art is amazing and the worldbuilding is cool, etc. etc. Thinking about what isn't clicking for me, now I realize a big part is the pacing. For a comic that has such an insane amount of sheer stuff happing on each page and every panel, I still feel like very little has actually happened I have very little emotional investment in any of the characters so far. Sometimes it feels like there is so much detail and so much stuff happening that it interferes with the story's conveyance/readability, and the important parts of the signal get lost in the noise.

We're around eighty pages in now. Eighty pages. To put that into perspective, by page eighty Ten Earth Shattering Blows was already well into the big desert chase scene. By page eighty of Forming, Rhea was leaving to fight Ghob. By page eighty of Hitmen for Destiny, they were already on the cave exploring arc. Meanwhile, in K6BD, I still don't really feel like I have much insight into the main drivers of the story other than 'protagonist is confused and scared, still' and 'everybody wants the key'. Which aren't BAD motivators per se, it just feels like we have spent eighty pages reinforcing these two ideas over and over rather than building on them with new layers of nuance. I don't know, maybe the world building is just going over my head.

I think the pacing would be improved a lot if there were more lacunae between the busiest, most action oriented scenes. So far my favorite sequence in the story and the part I felt most invested in was when Alison woke up and she and the angel talked and drank coffee, and I think the story would benefit from more quiet moments like that.
I do think that Ten Earth-Shattering Blows does the highly-detailed scenes with tons of chaos and everything happening at once thing better than K6BD does. And part of that is because TESB does take those moments to slow down and let the characters breathe before reveling in more chaos.

Having said all that I definitely don't think K6BD is a bad webcomic or a bad story. I know a lot of people for whom this kind of slow-paced, lore heavy, information rich storytelling is like catnip. I think it's just not a natural fit for me as a reader.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Drawing the comparison just makes me wonder now what K6BD would look and read like as drawn by Thorsby

Allison is obviously the Anette. Is the expository angel Lostclock?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

You have the power to make it happen.

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

A very smart little mouse!

https://twitter.com/joshcarlosjosh/status/1601304983617404928

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!