Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

Molentik posted:

If your garden and birds aren't being eaten, your place isn't part of nature I guess :shrug:
:unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Cold came and the chickens just went to bed. Sleep warmly mother cluckers

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Kylo Hen laid an egg while I was holding her just now. Thankfully we were over soft grass and it didn't break.

That makes a new record though...6 eggs today!

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Kylo Hen laid an egg while I was holding her just now. Thankfully we were over soft grass and it didn't break.
:kimchi: kylo hen is a treasure

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

The coop now has some foam panels I can take in and out on the inside.

Why do chickens choose to molt during the coldest time of the year like a bunch of dumbdumbs?

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Be careful, I woke up to the girls having pecked their way through one foam panel if you didn't cover it.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
I use foam panels as a ceiling inside my coop so I can take them out in the summer for max airflow. I used the 1.5 inch insulating foam and glued 1/4 inch plywood to the face that would face into the coop.

And the silly girls still managed to pick at the sides/edges and eat a bunch of the foam. I had to use metal HVAC tape on all the edges to keep them from getting at it.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

a strange fowl posted:

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

The ceiling ones I could slide in the opening I have for venting so it fits snug. I tossed a brick of suet in their enclosure for them and they went bananas for it.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

a strange fowl posted:

Kylo Hen now comes to the door whenever I open it and waits to be picked up:

The OG Tammy is still doing great:

Peanut Hamper is my personal favorite, though. I was the one who chose her egg in the name pool and was there to watch her hatch. She will sit in my hand like this for as long as I let her...but only me. She's still a good bird for my wife, but not nearly this level of chill.

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Kylo Hen now comes to the door whenever I open it and waits to be picked up:

The OG Tammy is still doing great:

Peanut Hamper is my personal favorite, though. I was the one who chose her egg in the name pool and was there to watch her hatch. She will sit in my hand like this for as long as I let her...but only me. She's still a good bird for my wife, but not nearly this level of chill.

an amazing flock. thank you for sharing them!

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

This is our Sky, celebrating over four months of being a retired garden hen and also her first Christmas, wishing you and your birbs both big and small, a very merry Christmas.

spookygonk fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Dec 25, 2022

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
The local hawk tried for a full grown hen this morning. I heard a commotion and ran out to see it trying to get ahold of our Super Blue layer, Blazer 2 (raised by my favorite mama hen Blazer, RIP). The hawk didn’t get a grip and flew off as I got to the scene. The new roosters were great and led the ladies to safety, and they are still on alert a couple hours later.

Here’s Inigo with Blazer 2 right behind him.

That pretty much solidifies my thinking that the hawk made off with Agate’s two chicks a few weeks ago. I’m really glad all three roosters are working out and can keep an eye out for danger now.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

I had no idea roosters were like "get me behind me, ladies....I'll fight this loving HAWK and protect you"

Yesterday I clipped all of our quail's wings and we did a definitive vent sexing. The boys are now in their own enclosure while the girls stayed put. At least initially; as of this morning Zapdos gets to live with the ladies since he's so well-behaved and easy to handle and a 5:1 ratio is fine.

Wumbus has big feelings about this change because he was the worst sex offender of them all:

Volly was similarly upset, but Zapdos was just vibing in fresh sand.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
I wonder if you could selectively breed quail roosters to be protective of quail hens. How many generations would that take?

Infinity?

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

Joburg posted:

I wonder if you could selectively breed quail roosters to be protective of quail hens. How many generations would that take?

Infinity?
they do protect their hens, but in the most tragic way. if they know there's a predator about, the hens will stick to the undergrowth and the rooster will place himself out in the open so in the case of an attack, he'll be taken first and warn the rest of the flock. kestrel and mini-moose had a thing going on where if the ravens were hanging about, they'd both do slow circuits of the lawn while the hens were foraging. it's very touching :unsmith:

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD

Joburg posted:

Infinity?

if you can breed quail roosters to ensure that they won't be dicks, let me know, because my two baby mango-shaped assholes have kept me awake for the past few nights

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

a strange fowl posted:

they do protect their hens, but in the most tragic way. if they know there's a predator about, the hens will stick to the undergrowth and the rooster will place himself out in the open so in the case of an attack, he'll be taken first and warn the rest of the flock. kestrel and mini-moose had a thing going on where if the ravens were hanging about, they'd both do slow circuits of the lawn while the hens were foraging. it's very touching :unsmith:

That’s such a quail way to be heroic.

w4ddl3d33 posted:

if you can breed quail roosters to ensure that they won't be dicks, let me know, because my two baby mango-shaped assholes have kept me awake for the past few nights

No quail for me, thank you!

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Joburg posted:

Infinity?

I want to attempt to breed a low-crow quail, which is the other reason why Zap is with the girls: his is the least frequent and quietest crow out of all the boys.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
The relationship of gay couple of Korben Dallas and Muad'Dib has survived the move. I think it's making the straight boys jealous.

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD
today i met a turkey up close and personal for the first time ever and i'm in LOVE she was this gorgeous little ham-sandwich-headed friend

turkeys have been on my list for quite a while, one of my resolutions for the upcoming year is to hatch my own, but sadly i do not think i have the space to house fully-grown turkeys long term. something that i'm considering is contacting local farms in my area and asking if they'd be willing to take them off my hands once they reach sexual maturity, but it'd be a painful split because i get super attached to my birbs. sigh

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Dunno if those are different kinds of turkeys, but we had them when I was a kid....and they were nightmare birds. I am agonizing over potentially eating some of these quail boys one day, but I did not hesitate to see those turkeys go to the butcher.

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Dunno if those are different kinds of turkeys, but we had them when I was a kid....and they were nightmare birds. I am agonizing over potentially eating some of these quail boys one day, but I did not hesitate to see those turkeys go to the butcher.

this was a wild turkey!

i've never heard anybody complain about turkeys, all the turkey owner posts i've read online have sung their praises. if you could go into your experiences with them a little more i'd really appreciate it

also, congratulations to the happy gay bird couple

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

My grandma gave me these for Christmas

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

w4ddl3d33 posted:

this was a wild turkey!

i've never heard anybody complain about turkeys, all the turkey owner posts i've read online have sung their praises. if you could go into your experiences with them a little more i'd really appreciate it

also, congratulations to the happy gay bird couple

I was young, so details are fuzzy. We had about 10 turkeys, and they were mean. They would attack me and chase me if they had the chance. They were also incredibly stupid and we lost two to very dumb accidents, I'll message my mom for specifics.

But those were the most delicious Thanksgiving dinners of my life (until I moved into this house and bought a smoker at any rate).

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Mustache Ride posted:

That's a good looking flock and a thoughtful present.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Mustache Ride posted:

Those are super cute!

We had an incident where the rooster's coop door opened in the night - guessing we didn't latch it all the way. Fortunately no one left the yard and no one was hurt or eaten - most of the boys were just exploring the yard, Quinlan was trying to get into the girl's coop, and Korben and Maud'dib just stayed in the coop like the good boys they are. Scared the crap out of me first thing in the morning, though.

In other news, someone laid an ombre egg:

One week until the next hatch goes into lockdown.

Edit: Its Florida, so people have started shooting fireworks for new years. Every time one goes off, ALL THE QUAIL ROOSTERS CROW AT IT. Its going to be a long night.

Dienes fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jan 1, 2023

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

Mustache Ride posted:

:kimchi: those are so cute!

moose is still mooing. she hasn't walked for like three months. when she wants to get somewhere, she gets up and falls over, gets up and falls over, and thus kind of rolls in the right direction. despite this, she still seems to be happy. she gets frequent water baths, and when i sprinkle dust over her she wriggles around and spreads her wings for me so i can get it into all the itchy spots.

bonus sable, serene and dignified:

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Our Sky is having a flare up of mycoplasma again. We spotted that her face looked swollen yesterday afternoon and immediately started the flock on Tylan. It's the opposite side to her original infection of 25th September.

Yesterday:

Today:

Poor thing is feeling wretched today, but we're making sure she's comfortable and has enough to eat and drink.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

a strange fowl posted:

bonus sable, serene and dignified:

You are such a friend to Moose. Sable’s feathers are mesmerizing.

spookygonk posted:

Our Sky is having a flare up of mycoplasma again.

Poor thing :( I hope she feels better soon!

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

i am behind but all the birds are so lovely

spookygonk posted:

This is our Sky, celebrating over four months of being a retired garden hen and also her first Christmas, wishing you and your birbs both big and small, a very merry Christmas.

i'm late and i'm sorry but she is adorable. i hope she gets feeling better soon

i'm glad Moose and the other quail are doing well

good flocks, everyone

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Our plan to put a nice covered chicken run on our chicken coop has been replaced with a plan to move in the next year.

What's the minimum run to keep the girls safe during the day? Can I just wrap 2' high hardware cloth around some posts and drape bird netting over it?

Kinda wish we didn't just build a big fancy coop now, oops.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

City of Glompton posted:

i am behind but all the birds are so lovely

i'm late and i'm sorry but she is adorable. i hope she gets feeling better soon

Sky had a better day today, even though her swollen face looks worse. She ate more and even had energy for a bath:

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

yay Sky, keep it up!

breaking news:

Princess Priscilla Puffycheeks laid a beautiful green egg today!

we also got an egg from one of the brown leghorns. the real star of the show from the new hens is Cocaine Jenny, though. she's actually the only one who is a hen, not a pullet, and her eggs are huge, just a few grams short of jumbo size. amazing that such a big egg can come from such a small hen

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
I'm surprised the orb hasn't shown up in the thread yet.

https://twitter.com/missuceda/status/1610081738385932289

another borb

https://twitter.com/blacksmoke1033/status/1610237112372154369

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

Buff Orb-ingtons

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
My chickens still have the respiratory sickness. I am not convinced that it’s coryza, looks more like Infectious Bronchitis (but lasting for months?) so I am taking one for a necropsy today.

The local hawk caught & ate one of Large Marge’s September babies this week so it got me to worrying that whatever they have is contagious to hawks and other birds. :(

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

praying for sweet baby sky and all the other sickly birds :( bless the orbs

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

Joburg posted:

Buff Orb-ingtons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

the banties are back on their bullshit and so am i