Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
Clocked 150 hours on steam before I started to feel like playing something else. Hoping we'll see a steady stream of minimally bugged content after New Years or that the bugs will at least be funny :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Diephoon posted:

Clocked 150 hours on steam before I started to feel like playing something else. Hoping we'll see a steady stream of minimally bugged content after New Years or that the bugs will at least be funny :)

This is pretty much where I am at, I'm still really liking it but that's largely because I'm playing a few missions are a time without worrying about progression. At 85 hours of playing I feel like I got my money's worth so anything past that is a bonus to come back to. I've been dipping back into DRG in the meantime and bouncing between the two has been good for both.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I didn't like Vermintide much but I do like this game and I have leveled two characters to 30 now. But it's super light on content and the missions are extremely same-y

I imagine if this game does well and gets lots of content it'll be a real banger in a year or two when there's just more stuff to do

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

fatshark definitely hosed up this release if they couldn't get skillup on board

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvQ9HMFza_o

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

I agree with the year or two assessment. I still play when my buddy pings me, it's fun with people you know. But the bloom is off the rose for pugging, at the moment.

Fired up VT2 and had a lot of fun, like putting on old underwear

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Jerkface posted:

These reviews are great.

"The game is amazing, I love the combat, I love the sound and level design, I love running missions which make up the core of the game. But the progression carrot is a little fucky and the plot wasn't amazing so I just can't morally recommend people play this awesome game I am gushing about"

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Here is my review, and you should trust me because I'm an :siren:expert:siren:

It is worth buying right now...You can play the game and have a lot of fun for many hours to justify the price tag, but don't expect a good 'endgame' and certainly don't expect any sort of interesting story or decent narrative. Put the game to the side when it starts getting too repetitive and return in the future for the big content patches.

7/10 nurglings, right now.

Zzulu fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Dec 23, 2022

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

CuddleCryptid posted:

These reviews are great.

"The game is amazing, I love the combat, I love the sound and level design, I love running missions which make up the core of the game. But the progression carrot is a little fucky and the plot wasn't amazing so I just can't morally recommend people play this awesome game I am gushing about"

I think we might have watched different videos. That's a very weird way of interpreting what was said, to be quite honest.

What I heard was more like "the progression is a train wreck and the plot is non-existent plus bugs crashes, cash shop and etc, etc." I couldn't agree more.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Pigbottom posted:

I think we might have watched different videos. That's a very weird way of interpreting what was said, to be quite honest.

What I heard was more like "the progression is a train wreck and the plot is non-existent plus bugs crashes, cash shop and etc, etc." I couldn't agree more.

If you're crashing that's one thing but calling the progression a train wreck is pretty wild seeing that you can get equipment that can easily carry you through 4s for a character within 15-20 hours of starting the game. It might be hard to get the exact meta setup people are posting about online but that doesn't mean that it's nonfunctional.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Dec 23, 2022

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Too many people roleplay the Ogryn.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Jerkface posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvQ9HMFza_o

Its a good review that overall I agree with. Core game is fantastic, but progression, story and technical elements suck and need work.

I am super excited with what Darktide might become, but right now it's hard to recommend.
'I' will get a lot of hours of fun out of it even in its state now, but I think its a little to rough for most people.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Resources really should be shared, as should weeklies. That'd solve some problems, for sure. I'd still recommend this game because it is hella fun but the loot treadmill is out of wack, some classes are better than others with better feat progression and selection and the plot really is nonexistent. The sum of the plot to 30 is basically "congrats, we trust you now" and I don't think you'd need one of the more famous and better 40k writers to write that kind of story.

I'd eliminate the cash shops from every game put out, that's not a problem unique to this game.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
With my level 30 veteran I have the feat to use stamina for assumed shooting, seems pretty correct, but does that mean I did get off the recon lasguns? My legendaries are 2 kings of Recon and a Helbore, which seems to have suboptimal blessings. Am waiting to find a decent boltgun, but is the feat and recon a big enough nonbo I should seek to change out. The Helbore is okay, but can do better I think.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
Darktide is totally worth buying now. It's frustrating because the end game consists of farming gear in the most tedious way possible, but the first ~150 hours were pure enjoyment for me.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
NGL, every time I log on now, I get this nagging feeling that I should check the shop on all my characters before I jump into the one I actually want to play. I've stopped bothering, but the thought is still there.
I hate the way the store works.

Not to mention that you need to load into the hub for every character separately as well.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Broken Cog posted:

NGL, every time I log on now, I get this nagging feeling that I should check the shop on all my characters before I jump into the one I actually want to play. I've stopped bothering, but the thought is still there.
I hate the way the store works.

Not to mention that you need to load into the hub for every character separately as well.

Gotta keep you logged on for as long as possible so the metrics look good on the quarterlies!

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

big cummers ONLY posted:

Gotta keep you logged on for as long as possible so the metrics look good on the quarterlies!

DT is down to +- 28k peak players from 108k on Nov 30, imagine how much worse it would be if it didnt have these systems!

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Mega Comrade posted:

Its a good review that overall I agree with. Core game is fantastic, but progression, story and technical elements suck and need work.

I am super excited with what Darktide might become, but right now it's hard to recommend.
'I' will get a lot of hours of fun out of it even in its state now, but I think its a little to rough for most people.

Yeah, me and the core group of friends that bought it have all drifted off.

I mean, poo poo, I get that the end game progression is supposed to be getting better gear, but even that system is horrifically under-baked right now. The missions are also just so loving same-y. If I hop in for one or two by the second it just feels repetitive, in a bad way. VT2 and DRG are good comparisons where change ups in scenery and objectives - even if only cosmetic (e.g. "stand in the circle to knock down this bell" vs "stand in the circle to stop this ceremony") that make it feel a lot less like you're donig the same thing over and over.

Typical Pubbie posted:

Darktide is totally worth buying now. It's frustrating because the end game consists of farming gear in the most tedious way possible, but the first ~150 hours were pure enjoyment for me.

Glad you got 150 out of it, but I uninstalled after 45. Got a zealot to 40, got some good gear, leveled the other classes up to ~15, and just felt like I'd seen everything. The first 30 or so hours were great, will absolutely grant that, but eh.

Like, I'm not angry I bought the game. I tend to say that any game where I get more than an hour of entertainment out of it per dollar spent is a good purchase. I'm just disappointed, because this was supposed to be the thing that me and a bunch of friends would sink a few hundred hours into, at a minimum, and most of it in our online group playing time. Instead we're back to DRG, picked up Tarkov for a hot second, and more recently we're diving into the Dark and Darker playtest.

I'm really hoping they flesh it out and it's something we can really sink time into eventually, but I also don't think that will happen for another year or so.

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Dec 23, 2022

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I think the progression would be helped enormously if you got a shot at an item after every run. Not really important how you take the shot, just that you play the game for 20-40 mins, and get a couple slot machine pulls of some type. Tie it to playing game, not an arbitrary amount of real-life time passing. Expend effort, receive reward. Not expend effort, or don't, whatever, come back in 57 minutes.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

big cummers ONLY posted:

I think the progression would be helped enormously if you got a shot at an item after every run. Not really important how you take the shot, just that you play the game for 20-40 mins, and get a couple slot machine pulls of some type. Tie it to playing game, not an arbitrary amount of real-life time passing. Expend effort, receive reward. Not expend effort, or don't, whatever, come back in 57 minutes.

Yeah I was talking about this to my friends while we were playing it last night. There's too many annoying mission modifiers and not enough of a reason to bother doing them because all you get for doing oops all dogs or high intensity is money/xp which becomes more or less useless. I'm actively avoiding playing the mission types they're adding as extra content. If they just straight up stole VT2's system with a guaranteed chest of varying quality based on how many secondary objectives you did or how lovely the modifier was that would at least give you a tangible "carrot" to chase or a reason to do grims beyond it being a weekly mission. This is all poo poo that can and probably will be improved on over time it's just a real shame that the game launched this way. I'm kind of expecting them to do a relaunch of sorts when it comes out on consoles to get eyes on it again. I've put about 75 hours into it now though and am winding down I think so it's not like I didn't already get my money's worth out of it. I just know they're very close to making this a really good game.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

explosivo posted:

Yeah I was talking about this to my friends while we were playing it last night. There's too many annoying mission modifiers and not enough of a reason to bother doing them because all you get for doing oops all dogs or high intensity is money/xp which becomes more or less useless. I'm actively avoiding playing the mission types they're adding as extra content. If they just straight up stole VT2's system with a guaranteed chest of varying quality based on how many secondary objectives you did or how lovely the modifier was that would at least give you a tangible "carrot" to chase or a reason to do grims beyond it being a weekly mission. This is all poo poo that can and probably will be improved on over time it's just a real shame that the game launched this way. I'm kind of expecting them to do a relaunch of sorts when it comes out on consoles to get eyes on it again. I've put about 75 hours into it now though and am winding down I think so it's not like I didn't already get my money's worth out of it. I just know they're very close to making this a really good game.

What's crazy to me is that the system they have in VT2 works really loving well for all of these reasons.

Just loving copy that over! You already did it once! I was seriously surprised when I saw that it wasn't the same mission loot system.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Jesus Christ no. I'd rather not have the jingle jangle loot box pushing my compulsion buttons, thank you very much. People say that the in-game store is bad, but Christ, I am glad loot boxes are gone.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

SplitSoul posted:

Too many people roleplay the Ogryn.

I had another player talking down to me like I was a moron, trying to guide me into doing an extremely early penance like I wasn't wearing the best gear I possibly could without Heavyweight Champion. Down with this.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Kokoro Wish posted:

Jesus Christ no. I'd rather not have the jingle jangle loot box pushing my compulsion buttons, thank you very much. People say that the in-game store is bad, but Christ, I am glad loot boxes are gone.

There's a difference between a random reward mechanic at the end of a mission and a paid for loot box.

You're right that it pushes the compulsion buttons, but in this case it's to encourage you to fire up another match, not to stick your credit card in. Basically no difference from smacking the loot pinata in Diablo in that way.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

Kokoro Wish posted:

It's just a reward for playing a match, which you are already doing for fun. Does receiving xp and credits at the end of a mission feel like pushing your compulsion buttons? It is, but further incentivizing you to do fun things is not inherently bad.

The shop rewards you for waiting an hour and cycling through all your characters. That's bad and still feeds on compulsion, just this time the compulsion isn't "play the game you like," it's "log in or miss out."

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I've been having an issue where I get really bad lag and disconnects, but only when I play with friends in a different region. I assume this is because of the physical distance between us (opposite coasts of the united states) but I'm not 100% sure. Anybody else getting this? When I mean 'bad' I mean, 'hit e to open box, it opens 15 seconds later" or "hoard iceskates in all directions and clips through solid objects before suddenly disappearing."

Ajaxify
May 6, 2009
Apparently the decals below the mission select indicate what difficult you have completed that mission on in the past. Some people have been complaining about this in the thread here and I was separately wondering what these icons on the mission select screen meant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9C5v_GJnNXs

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Ajaxify posted:

Apparently the decals below the mission select indicate what difficult you have completed that mission on in the past. Some people have been complaining about this in the thread here and I was separately wondering what these icons on the mission select screen meant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9C5v_GJnNXs

problem is they are account wide not character specific so theyre useless after you level 1 guy

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Man, I'm enjoying the game, loved Vermintide 1 and 2 both obviously but something about Darktide just doesn't feel as chunky as they did, you have all these chain and power weapons, but it's still like man I really miss the feeling of smashing knees with hammer dwarf. That and on a few other mostly small things I guess it just reinforces why I enjoy Fantasy so much more than 40K. Ogryn's a good time though, I only wish they weren't so cut down on weapons compared to like marksman.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Cyrano4747 posted:

There's a difference between a random reward mechanic at the end of a mission and a paid for loot box.

You're right that it pushes the compulsion buttons, but in this case it's to encourage you to fire up another match, not to stick your credit card in. Basically no difference from smacking the loot pinata in Diablo in that way.

The issue with VT loot boxes (yes, they're free, but that's what they are) isn't that it compelled you to keep playing, but because they generally forced a certain kind of play into the game. Because loot boxes were your primary method of advancing and low level lootboxes were trash, you were mechanically incentivized not to play a lot, but instead to milk everything you could out of a single encounter as much as possible. Not doing full tomes/grims was functionally kneecapping yourself, instead of being a bonus, and the fact that they basically became mandatory made jumping in for a few fun little runs almost impossible when every group was compelled to do jumping puzzles for ten minutes to get grims for a run that you don't even end up finishing.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Also man, reading some other posts yeah the game really probably would be helped if the missions weren't all samey dark, metal, factory-of-some-sort traversals with different lighting, it's still fun to kill things in them, but you could describe small parts of VT1/2 levels and I'd be like oh yeah that was Congregation, that was Halescourge, that was Death on the Reik, but I don't think I could as meaningfully differentiate many levels in the game right now if I tried.

I'm just kind of stoned rambling but I want to like Darktide overall so much more than I have been so far. :smith:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

There is just nothing quite like playing an Ogryn with a good bull cleaver and grenade gauntlet.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

CuddleCryptid posted:

The issue with VT loot boxes (yes, they're free, but that's what they are) isn't that it compelled you to keep playing, but because they generally forced a certain kind of play into the game. Because loot boxes were your primary method of advancing and low level lootboxes were trash, you were mechanically incentivized not to play a lot, but instead to milk everything you could out of a single encounter as much as possible. Not doing full tomes/grims was functionally kneecapping yourself, instead of being a bonus, and the fact that they basically became mandatory made jumping in for a few fun little runs almost impossible when every group was compelled to do jumping puzzles for ten minutes to get grims for a run that you don't even end up finishing.

Fortunately this isn't true anymore, lots of my legend runs don't bother with books and you can pretty easily get the crafting mats to take whatever weapon you want up to orange within a few runs. I recently played VT2 from scratch to all characters 35 + orange weapons. Crafting and lootboxes ONLY sped up progress. I had no bottlenecks until I started eyeballing red items, and since those are only a few percentage points stronger than what you can craft up to that point (literally identically strong to a perfectly-rolled orange, just doesn't take a ton of rerolls) AND are the best loot in the game, I don't mind that you have to jump through hoops to target them. Books don't take 10 minutes anymore unless all 4 people are brand new which doesn't seem to happen.

I can't speak to what VT2 was like at launch but the system as it stands today does nothing to inhibit your progression or fun-having

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

big cummers ONLY posted:

Fortunately this isn't true anymore, lots of my legend runs don't bother with books and you can pretty easily get the crafting mats to take whatever weapon you want up to orange within a few runs. I recently played VT2 from scratch to all characters 35 + orange weapons. Crafting and lootboxes ONLY sped up progress. I had no bottlenecks until I started eyeballing red items, and since those are only a few percentage points stronger than what you can craft up to that point (literally identically strong to a perfectly-rolled orange, just doesn't take a ton of rerolls) AND are the best loot in the game, I don't mind that you have to jump through hoops to target them. Books don't take 10 minutes anymore unless all 4 people are brand new which doesn't seem to happen.

I can't speak to what VT2 was like at launch but the system as it stands today does nothing to inhibit your progression or fun-having

I guess my response would be to point out that you're very much a power user, and you're playing at a very high level compared to most people in the game. I really wasn't, I would play VT for maybe 10 hours a week during a sprint with it, so i mostly got matched up at the lower levels. But my experience, even at the lower levels, was that of people getting *way* over their heads chasing the best loot boxes to the point where levels got tedious to play because they were trying to optimize even at middling difficulty and low power levels.

And there's nothing wrong with being a power user, I'm glad that VT worked out for you like that. But for me, a more casual player that comes and goes from the game, the DT system works well because going through the levels is basically all you need to do in order to upgrade over time. Gather up piles of crafting mats, check the store between mission for what is effectively 15 "free" loot box chances, and if that doesn't work then just use the crafting mats that you've been latently building up to upgrade over time. For more dedicated users you have the weekly system, but honestly it seems like I'm more the person the game is gearing itself towards. They kind of "modern MMO'd" progression for DT.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

CuddleCryptid posted:

I guess my response would be to point out that you're very much a power user, and you're playing at a very high level compared to most people in the game. I really wasn't, I would play VT for maybe 10 hours a week during a sprint with it, so i mostly got matched up at the lower levels. But my experience, even at the lower levels, was that of people getting *way* over their heads chasing the best loot boxes to the point where levels got tedious to play because they were trying to optimize even at middling difficulty and low power levels.

I get you but even as a "power user" I still had to go through the same hoops - matchmaking w ith pubs in lower difficulty levels while leveling. I didn't see the problems you're describing where pugs are driven to spend a lot of time doing tedious things. Most did not know about books at all, or only knew one or two of them. I remember exactly once where someone stopped the group so they could pull up a guide for books. Games while leveling were, nearly always, just new players trying to survive or veteran players slumming it. I bring it up only because you are describing a deficiency in VT2's lootbox system that I'm not certain exists as a rule. Maybe I'm just not understanding your position - you're saying it's because it makes people play tediously while pursuing books, right?

CuddleCryptid posted:

the DT system works well because going through the levels is basically all you need to do in order to upgrade over time. Gather up piles of crafting mats, check the store between mission for what is effectively 15 "free" loot box chances, and if that doesn't work then just use the crafting mats that you've been latently building up to upgrade over time.

All you need to do in VT2 is go through levels as well. Going through levels always gives you crafting mats, and the crafting mats are even more powerful in VT2 because you can infinitely reroll all your stats and you get more currency to do it than in DT. Like VT2 does all the things you're describing but better. It doesn't NEED a store with 15 free lootbox chances, because it is already trivial to get the stuff you want with the rolls you want. I don't see how DT is better for casual players. Or any player.

big cummers ONLY fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Dec 23, 2022

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

God drat power users

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Rewarding people for doing something more difficult (legend, grims, tomes) with better/faster gear is good, actually. Certainly a hell of a lot better than "log in to check the shop every hour, do not play the video game".

brb gonna log into DT for 2 minutes to check the shop

e: it was all trash

Vargs fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Dec 23, 2022

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Dandywalken posted:

God drat power sword users

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

big cummers ONLY posted:

I get you but even as a "power user" I still had to go through the same hoops - matchmaking w ith pubs in lower difficulty levels while leveling. I didn't see the problems you're describing where pugs are driven to spend a lot of time doing tedious things. Most did not know about books at all, or only knew one or two of them. I remember exactly once where someone stopped the group so they could pull up a guide for books. Games while leveling were, nearly always, just new players trying to survive or veteran players slumming it. I bring it up only because you are describing a deficiency in VT2's lootbox system that I'm not certain exists as a rule. Maybe I'm just not understanding your position - you're saying it's because it makes people play tediously while pursuing books, right?

All you need to do in VT2 is go through levels as well. Going through levels always gives you crafting mats, and the crafting mats are even more powerful in VT2 because you can infinitely reroll all your stats and you get more currency to do it than in DT. Like VT2 does all the things you're describing but better. It doesn't NEED a store with 15 free lootbox chances, because it is already trivial to get the stuff you want with the rolls you want. I don't see how DT is better for casual players. Or any player.

I must have just had a different experience than you because once the game was more than a couple of months old it was a regular occurrence that people would either refuse to progress or would just quit the match entirely and leave us with bots if we didn't go for every single book. I would say that maybe 20% of my runs didn't involve players trying to get all the books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
My favorite DT maps are the desert ones. It was a strong artistic choice to have actual sunlight in a 40k game. I love the rumble in the big dust bowl where you have to turn the giant fan off to advance. Seeing the horde come clambering over the wall on the far side is awesome.

I like the castle district map, although the most recent mission is too long and pretty boring overall.

I love playing both assassination maps with Lights Out.

I love the smelter. I've played it so much I'm sick of it.

The only map I hate is the one where you have to collect plague samples. It was novel the first time around, but that's about it.