Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Ainsley McTree posted:

perfect circles are easy, it's a very basic shape, doesnt even have any corners to worry about

Every circle is a polygon if you zoom in enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barnum Brown Shoes
Jan 29, 2013

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/79915

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Ya don't say!

(it's drauger but hot)

Barnum Brown Shoes
Jan 29, 2013

Like draugr weren't hot enough before, "oh no her scapula is too pointy!" Grow up nerds.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

At some point I feel like those mods become false advertising because they are objectively not "new females" they are exactly the same female you made for every other character.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

At some point I feel like those mods become false advertising because they are objectively not "new females" they are exactly the same female you made for every other character.

He meant to type nude females

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
This isn't really any particular mod as much as a subset of texture mods. I'm not really a fan of the AI upscaling mods that give everything sharper textures. They're poorly optimized and uncompressed so they take up gigs and gigs of space. It just seems kind of pointless but they're apparently easy to make so people make them. They're not good enough to be awesome mods but they're too bland to be awful mods. They're just uncompressed files taking up space to look marginally better than optimized textures the games released with.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
My favourite is when they upscale something that has text and don't even bother checking if the ai has changed the letters(GTA remasters for example)

Orv
May 4, 2011
When Twitter started committing sudoku a bunch of devs admitted to hiding various memes in game textures, mostly loss and a few other things but I look forward to that coming back to bite with some of those games getting upscale remasters in a few years.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Arc Hammer posted:

This isn't really any particular mod as much as a subset of texture mods. I'm not really a fan of the AI upscaling mods that give everything sharper textures. They're poorly optimized and uncompressed so they take up gigs and gigs of space. It just seems kind of pointless but they're apparently easy to make so people make them. They're not good enough to be awesome mods but they're too bland to be awful mods. They're just uncompressed files taking up space to look marginally better than optimized textures the games released with.

The worst for me are the ones that come out hyper-crisp and look wildly out of place and hard to even look at because the pixel density is suddenly a thousand times more than it ever was before and every single texture is equally visually busy. And of course said textures are still wrapped around 20 year old geometry so what was even the point. But people will insist the game looks better because now it's in HD!

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I have a feeling those "just add raytracing!" mods are gonna be the new generation of this stuff.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Orv posted:

When Twitter started committing sudoku a bunch of devs admitted to hiding various memes in game textures, mostly loss and a few other things but I look forward to that coming back to bite with some of those games getting upscale remasters in a few years.

can't wait to see the qobtse.cχ textures, where the ring has been tastefully transformed into a keloid scar by the all-knowing AI

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Mordja posted:

I have a feeling those "just add raytracing!" mods are gonna be the new generation of this stuff.

I mean if you want to show-off raytracing, old games with simple graphics are the best. Quake 2 or Minecraft with RTX are impressive because of the massive shift in graphics.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Mordja posted:

Probably going to be a ton of those for older games coming when RTX Remix comes out at some point next year, the tool used to make the new RTX version of Portal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vg52-HZhrFc

Basically intercepts a game's renderer to insert new assets and lighting and stuff. I think it only works with older DirectX versions though, like Portal RTX runs on the DX8 version of the game rather than DX9

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
People started messing with it like five seconds after Portal RTX came out.

Granted, those were were all quick and dirty modifications just to test it out, but the gold rush of RTX stuff in general does also bug me for similar reasons. It's more likely to look nice at a glance than upscaled textures because raytracing be like that, but oftentimes it's at the expense of the gameplay and/or completely transforms a scene into something totally unintended by the developers. Let retro games look retro, goddamnit. :argh:

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Would that enable dynamic lighting in a game that didn’t have it? Like could you theoretically have a New Vegas flashlight mod that actually works

Veotax
May 16, 2006

FrancisFukyomama posted:

Would that enable dynamic lighting in a game that didn’t have it? Like could you theoretically have a New Vegas flashlight mod that actually works

In theory. I think Portal RTX is fully path traced, so every single light in the game is dynamic, even the ones you can't move. Which is why it needs a beefy PC.

I think New Vegas might not be compatible though, I think someone in the NV mod thread said that the game doesn't use the kind of renderer that Remix is built for or something. I don't know, I'm just regurgitating half-remembered stuff, honestly.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Yeah New Vegas is almost certainly too new for Remix to work

Dynamic lights are possible but for them to move I think they need to be attached to something that already exists and moves in the game. Portal RTX adds a light to the energy pellets for example.

_____!
May 2, 2004

The whole some dx9 games will work and some won't seems slightly confusing. I've searched like 4 times trying to figure out which dx9 renderers will work with RTX Remix and I've been left confused every time.

I just want to use it with Outrun 2 since
A: game still rules and
B: the scope of that game is pretty small so it's probably less intensive to assign materials and what have you which means less stuff to worry about. Still a large endeavor but on paper seems more do-able.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

For now the best way to find out is to just dump the Remix files from Portal into the game and see what happens

It will probably look bad since the materials and lights will just be placeholder defaults, but if it renders at all then the game is a candidate for remixing once the full editor comes out

https://twitter.com/Acoulte93/status/1602033894664159232

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

"The cosmonauts were transfixed with wonderment as the sun set - over the Earth - there lucklessly, untethered Comrade Todd on fire."

_____! posted:

The whole some dx9 games will work and some won't seems slightly confusing. I've searched like 4 times trying to figure out which dx9 renderers will work with RTX Remix and I've been left confused every time.

I just want to use it with Outrun 2 since
A: game still rules and
B: the scope of that game is pretty small so it's probably less intensive to assign materials and what have you which means less stuff to worry about. Still a large endeavor but on paper seems more do-able.

As I understand it, the game has to have a fixed-function rendering pathway - so any DX9 game that could fall back to one to support older cards (like HL2 running on a GeForce 2) should work, while games which require shaders for rendering won't. Sadly I think Outrun 2006 might be a little too recent in that regard, it requires a card with shaders :(

_____!
May 2, 2004

Yeah I was seeing those tweets about jamming Portal RTX files into other games, that does seem like a good test.

overeager overeater posted:

As I understand it, the game has to have a fixed-function rendering pathway - so any DX9 game that could fall back to one to support older cards (like HL2 running on a GeForce 2) should work, while games which require shaders for rendering won't. Sadly I think Outrun 2006 might be a little too recent in that regard, it requires a card with shaders :(

O.K. thank you, that got through to me better than the Google results did!

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

custom trombone champ backgrounds are the gift that keeps on giving

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sRDWaVuFTE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=libnc9kEumg

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
The sheer effort it takes to shitpost nowadays is staggering.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Orv posted:

When Twitter started committing sudoku

did an ai upscale this post

Orv
May 4, 2011

Doc Hawkins posted:

I post only the finest native 4K trash, thank you very much.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Doc Hawkins posted:

idiom of using 'seppuku' to refer to elaborate suicide ritual or just stupid self-destructive actions, turned absurd pun/meme by wordswap 'sudoku'

welcome to the internet

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I don't have words

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

silentsnack posted:

idiom of using 'seppuku' to refer to elaborate suicide ritual or just stupid self-destructive actions, turned absurd pun/meme by wordswap 'sudoku'

welcome to the internet

Welcome to the internet circa 2005

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
It's from Robert Hamburger's opus Real Ultimate Power

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
https://twitter.com/arhu_mk/status/1607494471326830595?s=20&t=rcDCwppz2jrlg2ZIP52Ocw

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Awful/Awesome Mods Thread: mod.dwarf.joke.cosmetic

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

author: wankingSkeever

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

No, it's fine, it's immersive.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

disposablewords posted:

No, it's fine, it's immersive.

I think you mean insertive.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

lore friendly

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
Look, if the titty magic mod makes your tits grow when you have more magicka, it’s only reasonable that ripping souls out of dragons makes your dong longer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Now we just need rear end magic