Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Quiet Feet posted:

Well I've been a wild rover for manys a year

If I'm gonna buy fancy beer I gotta go cheap on the whiskey for the month. Good deal on the BCBS at Costco though.

I'm drinking a 2020 one right now and it's good. Picked up a bunch more and several of the 30 year anniversary ones or whatever. I do not think they will make it 5 years of aging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
100 feet of light string with E27 sockets and 40 colored bulbs (I need 50 but meh).

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I got a new (old) camera

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

His Divine Shadow posted:

100 feet of light string with E27 sockets and 40 colored bulbs (I need 50 but meh).

From where?
And for what?

Are you making full size Christmas lights!?!?!
:)

logical fallacy
Mar 16, 2001

Dynamic Symmetry

Megabound posted:

I got a new (old) camera

Is this your first medium format film camera? Are you going to be processing and/or scanning your own negatives?

I really wished I'd picked up a 4x5 (or 67) a few years ago when they went for absurdly low prices, but I have a bad habit of taking multiple pictures per scene and I haven't even transferred pictures from my dslr I took months ago. So having limited shots (and limited ISOs even though 100 works for the majority of what I do) and having to go through the developing and scanning process would require a big change and more discipline.

But I love the look and picture quality from medium format film.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

No, I shoot many cameras but primarily 6x6. I moved on a Fuji GW690II and a Mamiya C220 to get the Bronica up there.

I develop and scan all my own film and turned my garage intona darkroom, I'm all in on film and have been for a while. It's great fun and yeah, medium and large just has a look you can't replicate.

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!

Warbird posted:

I’m back home for the holidays and discovered the local Costcos sell the hard stuff so if you’ve got recommendations I’d be happy to hear them. The ones back home haven’t heard the good word yet.

Highly recommend their Kirkland tequila silver and spiced rum. If you’re a vodka fan, their Kirkland vodka is rebranded Grey Goose.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

duffmensch posted:

Highly recommend their Kirkland tequila silver and spiced rum. If you’re a vodka fan, their Kirkland vodka is rebranded Grey Goose.

Seconding the rum. It's strong and tasty and goddamn you cannot go wrong at $14/handle.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Franco Caution posted:

From where?
And for what?

Are you making full size Christmas lights!?!?!
:)

Basically yeah, but the bulbs are a little smaller than normal bulbs. I bought it from a european place called lumenXL.

IMO the christmas lighting situation in Finland is atrocious, I simply cannot find any light strings with replaceable lights in local shops. I hate the ones with non replaceable lights, every year some of them breaks and can't be fixed. And 95% of people here seem to decorate with white lights only while I am a color person.

I really wanted C9 bulbs you know, but they're a US thing. I will buy some next year though, I'll use a step down transformer if I have to.

I also bought a vintage mini light string with tiny incandenscents, it has replaceable bulbs. I will see about finding led replacements for it.

His Divine Shadow has a new favorite as of 05:31 on Dec 5, 2022

Turambar
Feb 20, 2001

A Túrin Turambar turun ambartanen
Grimey Drawer
First LEGO set I bought in 30 years. This better not awaken anything in me

Only registered members can see post attachments!

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Turambar posted:

And we say bye bye to our disposable income folks

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

My light chain came, this is the most heavy duty lighting setup I've ever seen, holy moly.

Spy_Guy
Feb 19, 2013

Turambar posted:

That's awesome! I never noticed Aloy and a watcher were included in that set.

I also bought a gaming-related set. It's absolutely fantastic and a great time to build.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

I remember discussion about Phil's Wallets a while back. They're back!

Just bought one to put in a drawer or something because my original is still perfectly fine.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Turambar posted:

Join us in the Lego thread if you want to learn how to blow even more money. We aren't too weird, I promise.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3328496

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Don’t do it, it’ll be like when I “just popped in” to the synthesizer thread.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I travel for work and over winter find myself sitting in dry hotels rooms running the heat and putting on lotion every couple hours so I finally found out these exist:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07HCTYFLV?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_image

It’s a super portable humidifier that uses plastic water bottles as the tank. It’s a godsend.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Rolo posted:

I travel for work and over winter find myself sitting in dry hotels rooms running the heat and putting on lotion every couple hours so I finally found out these exist:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07HCTYFLV?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_image

It’s a super portable humidifier that uses plastic water bottles as the tank. It’s a godsend.
I don't think there's any specific evidence that they're harmful, but FYI ultrasonic humidifiers aerosolize stuff like minerals in water and you end up breathing them in and some people think that could potentially be bad. To be totally safe you should probably theoretically use distilled water.

Other types of humidifiers don't have that exact problem but they can potentially grow bacteria and stuff

mystes has a new favorite as of 19:17 on Dec 16, 2022

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

mystes posted:

I don't think there's any specific evidence that they're harmful, but FYI ultrasonic humidifiers aerosolize stuff like minerals in water and you end up breathing them in which is kind of potentially scary. To be totally safe you should probably theoretically use distilled water.

Other types of humidifiers don't have that exact problem but they can potentially grow bacteria and stuff

Breathing in minerals??? Oh my God no thank you!

*Continues to consume and inhale microplastics and PFAS in literally everything*

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I bought a big ol' air fryer because the weird lid one I had for my pressure cooker was too cumbersome.

Gonna make so much crispy tofu and roasted fish!

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

mystes posted:

I don't think there's any specific evidence that they're harmful, but FYI ultrasonic humidifiers aerosolize stuff like minerals in water and you end up breathing them in and some people think that could potentially be bad. To be totally safe you should probably theoretically use distilled water.

Woah woah woah. Hold on.

Can I pour beer in it?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Rolo posted:

Woah woah woah. Hold on.

Can I pour beer in it?

Sure but why go through all the effort?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

mobby_6kl posted:

Sure but why go through all the effort?

Why even put the beer down your mouth?

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

obi_ant posted:

Why even put the beer down your mouth?

Exactly. The beer bottle is already shaped for the proper entry port.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09575MMZ8

Dammit I do not need this but I really do wanna buy it for some stupid reason. Laser engraver. Talk me out of it please.

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Those chinesium machines are more trouble than they're worth. Lots of problems, both mechanical and software, and the quality of the finished product is poor. Not to mention that they're downright dangerous with their poor airflow and totally exposed laser. Pay your local sign shop to use one of their $40,000 lasers for whatever it is that you need. Save your health and your time.

Comatoast has a new favorite as of 04:29 on Dec 17, 2022

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

60 pieces of neon indicator bulbs, the bigger 6mm / 1/4" types.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Dammit I do not need this but I really do wanna buy it for some stupid reason. Laser engraver. Talk me out of it please.
this kind of stuff is definitely not worth it when you consider the safety issues

on the other hand if you want to buy dumb dangerous stuff from China the aliexpress thread will be very welcoming to you

mystes has a new favorite as of 16:19 on Dec 17, 2022

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

You’ll shoot your eye out

obsolete absolution
Oct 9, 2007
forgiveness is meaningless

Spend more if you really want one. My friend got one that was nicer than this and had to watch it the entire time because the motor slowed and started a fire once. He eventually spent like $12,000 on a good one and refused to sell the old one to anyone due to the risk. That said, he's turned it into a nice little side business running commissions on it.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

You’ll shoot your eye out

On that topic, I got myself a Christmas present—an airsoft replica of the pistol from Resident Evil.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

I've been wanting to get new headphones for a while, and for the last month or so I had been going back and forth between getting the Bose QC45s or the Sony wh1000xm5s. For the last two weeks, I thought I had convinced myself I wanted the xm5s and would wait til they went on sale closer to ~$300 price range.

Well, the Sony's haven't dropped below $350, so tonight, the right combination of me having extra disposable income at the moment, 2 upcoming road trips in the next 2 weeks, and the Bose going on sale again for $229 convinced me to cave, so I just splurged and ordered these with overnight shipping.

Also ordered a Samsung Galaxy Watch 4 (40mm) during a black friday sale.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Rolo posted:

Where did you get that.

Oh god it’s like when someone posted those coins from Ancient Rome. My brain loves “someone used this exact thing XXXXX years ago” stuff.

My bad, thought I'd replied but apparently never hit post... I snagged it from Mini Museum! Occasionally they have some neat stuff pop up.

On the subject of other weird poo poo I recently bought, I just ordered some of Saint Nicholas' magical bone juice!

Which is to say, a souvenir bottle of olive oil with a dash of groundwater that's ritually collected from the crypt under the basilica constructed to house a smattering of Saint Nicholas' looted corpse.

I have no clue what Imma do with this stuff, but apparently my niece has concocted an elaborate scheme with her friends to have santa write a codeword to compare and see if he's really real, so I'm thinking a bottle of dead santa oil could help keep the christmas magic alive. Totally not at all a horrifying twist on the Santa-is-real debate -- now I've got a souvenir bottle of his holy bone secretions to prove it

Edit - For reference

I really thought googling the phrase "Santa Bone Juice" would be a much more fraught search than it turned out to be

Catatron Prime has a new favorite as of 18:31 on Dec 24, 2022

nom epique
Apr 24, 2022

by VideoGames
nice pickups....

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
And even more guitars

80s Lotus Strat copy, had the same model in black earlier this year, will be cleaned, fixed, and flipped

Firefly Tele Thinline, great guitar for $130

Another Lotus for flipping

It has a dirty word on the back!

And one for the mostly permanent collection

1981 Hondo H-745. Walnut body with "flame maple" top and neck(veneer top, painted flame on the neck)

I like it a lot.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

A shiny new hip after 12.5 years of post-traumatic arthritis!

Bonus free add-ons include:

Oxycodone usage
Swollen leg
Having to use a Walker

and

No leaving the house for a while!

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I also bought a new guitar a few days ago. A Player Series Mustang with P90 pickups.
I really liked the amp I was playing this through at the store so I took it home, too.

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant
Went to PaxU and picked up 35 pounds of fun.

Adding this to my pile of campaign games along with Gloomhaven, Middara, Warhammer Quest: Cursed City, and Warhammer Quest: Blackstone Fortress

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Eldritch BiLast posted:

Went to PaxU and picked up 35 pounds of fun.

Adding this to my pile of campaign games along with Gloomhaven, Middara, Warhammer Quest: Cursed City, and Warhammer Quest: Blackstone Fortress

How do you like Middara? I saw it at the last GenCon I went to and it seemed cool, but it was too pricey for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Why is this thread always 75% guitars and electronic music things?