Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

fadam posted:

I think saying the combat is bad is a bit of a meme. It's not great, but I don't think it's worse than most other western developed action games. The fact that you can engage and fight enemies that are substantially higher level than you in a reasonable amount of time without feeling like you're just bouncing off them puts it above a lot of other games imo.

Quen does seem a bit busted tho lol.

I mean, combat is perfunctory. That's really all you can say about it. It's... there. There's no depth or strategy, there's not even really any timing to it because gently caress You I Quen'd Before Mashing. And if I didn't, now I rolled out of your way and Imma wait until I can Quen before I interact with you in any way.

There's no combos, no moves, no timing, no back-and-forth rythm, no prioritizing this enemy over that one, no learning/combining different weapons, no *nothing*. It's really just mashing until things are over, one red bar is down before the other and you can get back to the good bits. That, or you build for Signs and then it's just casting Igni/Aard and Metal Gear rolling until you can do it again.

Kobal2 fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Dec 23, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Kobal2 posted:

I mean, combat is perfunctory. That's really all you can say about it. It's... there. There's no depth or strategy, there's not even really any timing to it because gently caress You I Quen'd Before Mashing. And if I didn't, now I rolled out of your way and Imma wait until I can Quen before I interact with you in any way.

There's no combos, no moves, no timing, no back-and-forth rythm, no prioritizing this enemy over that one, no learning/combining different weapons, no *nothing*. It's really just mashing until things are over, one red bar is down before the other and you can get back to the good bits. That, or you build for Signs and then it's just casting Igni/Aard and Metal Gear rolling until you can do it again.

IDK what to tell you, I've found some of the fights to be decently challenging and I think it's satisfying (and rewarding considering how long it takes food to heal you lol) pulling off no-hit encounters. As far as obligatory combat systems thrown into an RPG-lite go I'd say I like it about as much as the Yakuza games and substantially more than TES/Mass Effect and I find it about ten billion times more engaging than Arkham counter/takedown stuff.

I will say that for the tiny bit I controlled Ciri, I thought her basic light attack felt a lot better to use. They also probably should have made the dodge step pause your stamina regeneration.

fadam fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Dec 23, 2022

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
You go into combat in Witcher 3 when you want to listen to the baller music of Leleles and banana tigers.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Arc Hammer posted:

You go into combat in Witcher 3 when you want to listen to the baller music of Leleles and banana tigers.

The song that plays when you fight monsters with the chick wailing to violins or whatever absolutely owns.

Pryce
May 21, 2011

MikeC posted:

The CDPR guys consistently seem to be able to write interesting characters and have sensible dialogue in all their games. They somehow are able to lean into tropes while rarely reducing stories and people into caricatures even when diving into side quests.

This is the same CDPR who made collectible nude cards of every woman you persuade to sleep with you in the previous Witcher games, mind you.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Pryce posted:

This is the same CDPR who made collectible nude cards of every woman you persuade to sleep with you in the previous Witcher games, mind you.

The only collectible card game that ever mattered.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Pryce posted:

Is there a mod that adds this to TW3?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

fadam posted:

I don't think so, but there is a mod to make all the women in Gwent cards naked.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

fadam posted:

Not sure, but I saw this when looking through new mods on Nexus

Extreme Curvy Ciri

even worse - that's a mod of mod, because they felt the original curvy Ciri mod didn't go far enough

Also

quote:

Possible issues
You may have problem with model of the body outside the cutscenes (Basically it's stretched, blurry or something like that) You Have to edit file in documents/The Witcher3/user.settings file, open it with notepad, press ctrl+f and search MeshLODDistanceScale and change value to 2 or 10 Now it should work.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Kobal2 posted:

I just never use quen. And why are you rolling? It eats up stamina. Dodging lets you do follow up attacks way more easily and will get you that timing battle you want. It's nothing incredible and the poor design still obviously exists, but it doesn't take much to limit yourself into having more enjoyable fights.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Dec 23, 2022

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
What does quen even do? I never use it.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Kobal2 posted:

Good, if I'm gonna play an action RPG, I'm glad it's a relatively simplistic one with a focus on the story rather than another involved dark souls clone bullshit.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

tuyop posted:

What does quen even do? I never use it.

normal quen will absorb exactly one hit, any hit, fully. it's a decent buffer if you make mistakes

alternate quen is a channeled bubble which can absorb multiple hits and also heal you and stun attackers, but you can't move while channeling it

edit: actually I think quen can absorb more than one if you invest a lot of points into it and wear sign intensity gear. better just to avoid hits and kill things faster imo

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
I haven't found anyone else reporting this but on PC with a RTX 3090 loading from a save beyond the initial one results in unplayable slow response in the game (UI, dialogue / animation, you name it). Anyone have suggestions for a workaround? Basically unplayable for me (I guess my CDPR jankiness luck ran out finally) in this state although it's drat beautiful when I can keep going without ever reloading.

MikeC posted:

The CDPR guys consistently seem to be able to write interesting characters and have sensible dialogue in all their games. They somehow are able to lean into tropes while rarely reducing stories and people into caricatures even when diving into side quests.
They're probably better as a movie / TV studio than as a game studio if it came down to it. There's plenty of studios that are absolute garbage at story but the entertainment is derived primarily from gameplay mechanics and loops - this doesn't describe CDPR games at all.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
You can move while holding down the alternate quen sign but it's very slow.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Squatch Ambassador posted:

Extreme Curvy Ciri

even worse - that's a mod of mod, because they felt the original curvy Ciri mod didn't go far enough

Also

lol good lord

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Squatch Ambassador posted:

Extreme Curvy Ciri

Also

Sad to see a thing like this. The author clearly lacks vision. Ciri could be so so much more curvacious, I gotta PM him or something and send him a link to Haydee so he knows what the starting point should be.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Do you all switch skills in and out based on need or leave them alone?

I have multiple unspent skill points that just sit there because my unlocked character slots are all full and there doesn't seem a point to spending points leveling up a skill I can't use.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Still waiting for the mod that swaps Roach's horse model to a giant cockroach with a saddle.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Hobo Clown posted:

I have multiple unspent skill points that just sit there because my unlocked character slots are all full and there doesn't seem a point to spending points leveling up a skill I can't use.

I usually stick with the ones I pick, though I also usually keep Strong Back on the backburner and plug it in if I find myself overencumbered out in the world. Leveling up things you know you might want later is useful though, it's nice to be able to plug in a fully-leveled skill once a slot opens up. Plus you can use the points to unlock a later level of upgrades even if the skills you're actually spending them on aren't what you're interested in.

Also it's crazy how easily I've fallen back into this game again, a few days ago I was fretting about starting a Death March playthrough and now I'm about to go to Novigrad. I'm torn though, because I can finally wear the weird new tiger armor but I also just crafted the first Griffin set. Decisions, decisions.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

HenryEx posted:

Can't wait until the patch finally hits the Switch and i can dive back into the game, and discover which mods will be broken

Wait u can mod the switch version

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Tunicate posted:

Wait u can mod the switch version

With a hacked switch I assume.

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020
compared to Bethesda or Ubisoft rpg’s I’ll take W3 combat any day of the week, level scaling sounds like hell and the degradation system is in so money isn’t trivialized by early-mid game

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

ShakeZula posted:

I'm not sure I ever had either, but sure enough I actually just did on my current playthrough! I've already forgotten where I found it though

I just found it in the plague pit by the hanger man’s tree in Velen.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
my preference is still Death March, Ghost Mode with everything set to be your level + randomly up to 5 more levels, auto-apply oils, and no durability mods

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Hobo Clown posted:

The only skill I switch in and out is the persuasion one, which comes in when I'm doing quests in a social environment and gets replaced by food regen when I'm just faffing about in the deep dark woods hunting for ?s.

Horace Kinch posted:

Still waiting for the mod that swaps Roach's horse model to a giant cockroach with a saddle.

Ah, the Gregor Samsa mod.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Played gwent for 3 hours tonight. Nice.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

ShakeZula posted:

Yeah I think in my first playthrough I never even visited the southeastern corner at all, and if I did it was in my postgame wandering.

Is that the area near the Nilfgardian camp? Wandering Velen after doing the Baron quest.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

MonsieurChoc posted:

Is that the area near the Nilfgardian camp? Wandering Velen after doing the Baron quest.

Yeah, I've been down in this area today. Watch out for the level 24 earth elemental. Dude had me running lol.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Wiltsghost posted:

Played gwent for 3 hours tonight. Nice.

what a prick

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
same boat here:

"ok I've beaten the game and all the DLC before I don't need to play gwent AGAIN this time"

well gently caress me i guess I'm playing gwent again, and this time I'm finally gonna win that drat tournament!

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

I'm using this mod to track gwent cards and quests. Pretty handy. I played gwent a little on my previous playthroughs but am trying to do everything on this one.

https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/7179

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
gwent is mostly pretty chill and fairly easy to win as long as you keep up with it; it's a lot harder to start playing in the middle of the game

just remember that holding more cards is always better because you can win rounds by drawing them out. therefore spies, healers, and decoys are the best cards. so Nilfgaard is the best deck with Northern Realms (which you start with anyway) a close second because they have the most healers and spies.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

I've only played with northern realms, definitely want to try some other decks

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
Nilfgaard is slightly better than Northern Realms, they're fairly similar. You can win all the Gwent matches with either NR or Nilf without too much difficulty. Worth pointing out that there are some important Nilf cards that require rescuing a dude in the middle of nowhere Velen.

The Monster and Scoia'tel decks are playing at a disadvantage. They're strictly worse because they don't have the spies and healers of Nilf or NR. Probably still doable though.

edit: and of course Skellige is new for the Blood and Wine expansion and you're also forced to play it for a bit. I'd say it's a bit in between Nilf/NR (best) and Monster/Scoia'tel (playing at a clear disadvantage but still winnable). Skellige has a very specific gimmick and if you pull it off you can win, but it's still not as good as Nilf or NR.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Scoia’tel has the stupidest faction bonus because it’s otherwise loving useless in comparison to gain constant card advantage (NR) or winning ties. Hell, even Monsters lets you keep card advantage.

If Scoia’tel had a truly absurd number of spies maybe then their really weak faction bonus would be worth it, since you’re essentiallly forcing your opponent to go -1 on an already won round if you’re doing “throw a round with spies” strat.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

I’ve played this game for like 400 hours and have not played a single game of Gwent.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG

ChocNitty posted:

Also, I suck rear end at Gwent.
Did you know that you can adjust Gwent difficulty level? I found it by accident after 200 hours and had a minor breakdown :shepface:

For completionsim's sake I managed to collect all the cards, win the tournament, and do the Skellige deck quest, and after all that I promised myself no more Gwent ever again. It's a fun game I guess but there's something inherently immersion breaking and irritating about it to me.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Eyud posted:

I’ve played this game for like 400 hours and have not played a single game of Gwent.

Then you haven't played this game at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

It’s really good. The gwent specific quests are also really good.

The entire structure of the game is built around card advantage because, unlike most CCGs there isn’t a cost to playing any card in your hand (in other words, you can play literally every card in your hand as long as you fulfill the requirements to play it). So the entire game is built around accruing cars advantage; if you’re just looking to cheat to east victories just play either NR or Nilfgaard, because both factions have a ton of spies, stuff your deck with as many spies, dummies ( to bounce back any spies played on you) and healers (primarily to revive any spies played on you by the opponent in the next round). Try and stock your opening hand with as many spies/dummies/healers as possible, then just throw the first round by playing as many spies as possible and just roll to an easy beat down in rounds 2 and 3.