Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Didn’t it start a long time ago with Lil B, who white people got into ironically with all the gusto that the promise of post-racial America would allow circa 2009?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
"Basic = Bad
Base = Good

Now shut up dad and leave my room."

According to someone familiar with the situation.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
According to Robert Evans from his history of Crack in the US episodes, based derives from literally free-basing crack cocaine.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The Reddit anti-Scientology Guy Fawkes crowd used it to label people that were important.

"Based Stickman" "Based Beardguy" and whatnot

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

That was more a 4chan thing

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I thought Based was was just "Best" except intentionally spelled wrong.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
It's when you turn bass to 10.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

It's entirely possible, easy, and good to throw a few words at a search engine and find explanations for things you don't know much about when you're clearly already on the internet.

That's precisely what the assholes that believe the subjects of this thread don't do.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Hey all, a while back I asked this thread for examples of horrible right-wing pundits defending Scrooge online for a project I was working on. Well, that project is now complete! Presenting: "Scrooge wasn't THAT bad!" - an exploration and refutation of idiots on social media who can't understand a 200-year old children's story. If I may say so myself, I think it turned out pretty well. And it even features a few surprise special guests!

Any likes/comments/subs/shares are greatly appreciated as they feed the algorithm beast.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
As far as I can tell based means you’ve accepted your horribleness and have gone full racist/fascist.

Woke is any idea or concept that invokes the golden rule of being nice to others particularly when your wokeness involves no personal cost.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Calico Heart posted:

Hey all, a while back I asked this thread for examples of horrible right-wing pundits defending Scrooge online for a project I was working on. Well, that project is now complete! Presenting: "Scrooge wasn't THAT bad!" - an exploration and refutation of idiots on social media who can't understand a 200-year old children's story. If I may say so myself, I think it turned out pretty well. And it even features a few surprise special guests!

Any likes/comments/subs/shares are greatly appreciated as they feed the algorithm beast.

Well done, I enjoyed it

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

Murgos posted:

As far as I can tell based means you’ve accepted your horribleness and have gone full racist/fascist.

I think it's more like you've accepted that what you are doing might be unpopular or embarrassing, but are so unflinchingly confident about it's impossible to mock you for it and wraps back around to being cool — which then became super popular with the racists and fascists who love the concept of telling hard truths and being ostracized because of it.

So it went from being brutally honest about watching weird foot fetish hentai and other people on 4chan being like "drat, that's pretty weird but you do you" to the rise of Trump's popularity on /pol/, where his infamous escalator speech was "based" because it made everyone so upset and he refused to walk it back. And then it became watered down again as it spread to other corners of the internet.

Generic American fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Dec 24, 2022

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
"You do you" has never been a nice thing to say to someone. It's always been an insult.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

Is that so? Huh, I guess I've never heard it used properly before, because it always struck me at worst as tepid tolerance or a more casual version of agree to disagree. :eng99:

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Generic American posted:

Is that so? Huh, I guess I've never heard it used properly before, because it always struck me at worst as tepid tolerance or a more casual version of agree to disagree. :eng99:

I think that's what the insult means. "You do you" is telling someone that they're loving stupid for a thing they do, like, or wear, but will barely be able to tolerate it.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

I AM GRANDO posted:

Didn’t it start a long time ago with Lil B, who white people got into ironically with all the gusto that the promise of post-racial America would allow circa 2009?
Basehead/bassed was a thing at least since the late 1980s either literally meaning "this person is high on smoking cocaine and has no self-control/self-consciousness/filter" or more metaphorical in the same way someone would say "Family Guy is like the Simpsons.. on crack!" or whatever.

Lil B "The Based God" took it on as a nickname in the late 00s/early Twitter leaning more towards the metaphorical but also maybe literal. His whole thing was a weird motivational speaker/positivity thing where his... haphazard flow and fashion and etc. were a good thing, because he's not trying to conform to societal standards. It turned into an unmoored meme pretty quickly, I don't think that most of the alt-right people think of anything about it beyond calling something 'epic' or 'badass' or whatever, but it's possible that they're thinking "ha ha my refusal to acknowledge the humanity of like 90% of the planet is just like Lil B shrugging when someone says he was using slant rhymes off of the beat!"

Lil B for what it's worth is pretty much the opposite of what any Based _______s would support. He got called out for a transphobic joke in 2015 and issued a full throated apology and has been vocally pro-trans-rights (and pro reproductive rights, pro-immigration, etc) ever since. He endorsed Bernie Sanders twice.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

To be fair to Dennis Prager - if he were my family I'd want to abuse him too.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Edge & Christian posted:

Lil B for what it's worth is pretty much the opposite of what any Based _______s would support. He got called out for a transphobic joke in 2015 and issued a full throated apology and has been vocally pro-trans-rights (and pro reproductive rights, pro-immigration, etc) ever since. He endorsed Bernie Sanders twice.

If politics is downstream from culture, black slang is the first rear end in the human centipede. Based, woke, cancel…all black slang picked up by the worst people in the world for pretty much the reasons you’d think

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Edge & Christian posted:

FWIW I think this whole discussion is showing people's age because I'm pretty sure most young'uns these days would call Lil B's trans support "based".

It's entirely generic now, not a bigot shibboleth

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
Has there been any good podcasts studying the correlation between trying to undermine public school systems/teachers unions and fear mongering about teachers molesting kids? Because I've seen an awful lot of these types of posts the past few years.
https://twitter.com/TRHLofficial/status/1606757254430134274?t=P8upOPXFqplLriUzJs-TCA&s=19

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

99% of child abuse happens to children under the age of 18….makes you think.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Panfilo posted:

Has there been any good podcasts studying the correlation between trying to undermine public school systems/teachers unions and fear mongering about teachers molesting kids? Because I've seen an awful lot of these types of posts the past few years.
https://twitter.com/TRHLofficial/status/1606757254430134274?t=P8upOPXFqplLriUzJs-TCA&s=19

LOL "used to be" church and scouts.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Panfilo posted:

Has anyone ever figured out what the name of The Unnamed Red-haired Libertarian Woman Who Appears On Tim Pool's Show is? Or is her name literally just The Unnamed Red-haired Libertarian Woman Who Appears On Tim Pool's Show?

I'm fine not knowing.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

nine-gear crow posted:

Has anyone ever figured out what the name of The Unnamed Red-haired Libertarian Woman Who Appears On Tim Pool's Show is? Or is her name literally just The Unnamed Red-haired Libertarian Woman Who Appears On Tim Pool's Show?

I'm fine not knowing.

https://thefederalist.com/author/jocelynglabach/

quote:

Josie Glabach is a neuromuscular therapist, wife, and mother of three in Massachusetts. Josie is a huge Patriots fan, an accomplished pie baker, and habitual line stepper.
Pretty certain it's her, she's mentioned previously living in Massachusetts and moved to Florida because she didn't want to be forced to vaccinate her kids. Apparently well off enough to just up and move over such a petty reason.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Tarezax posted:

FWIW I think this whole discussion is showing people's age because I'm pretty sure most young'uns these days would call Lil B's trans support "based".

Yeah I hear it a lot from younger people who I'm pretty sure are not nazis.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Republicans posted:

LOL "used to be" church and scouts.

"Almost all of child sex abuse happens in places where adults and children interact" is certainly going out on a limb

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Panfilo posted:

“The projected number of teachers nationwide for 2021 was 3,684,000”.

“Overall enrollment in kindergarten through 12th grade in 2018 was 53.1 million”

269 teachers *accused* of child sex crimes is pretty low given the size of the populations involved.

In comparison there were almost 20,000 homicides in the US in 2020.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

From what I understand (from dumb youtube videos), 'based' are things that are good and worth emulating, which is in direct contradiction with 'cringe', describing things that you don't want to emulate. Of course it gets so wrapped up in irony, context and subtext as to render itself meaningless, two sides to the same stupid coin.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

it's based to be cringe

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

https://twitter.com/what_up_e/status/1606362467168157696?s=46&t=McDvkZFJIvAIbecQ4XQPzA

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
It looks you woke him tho

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Panfilo posted:

Try the "School Wars" episode of Know Your Enemy.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Kith posted:

it's based to be cringe

The Huey Lewis and the News reunion tour is off to a rough start.

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?

Tarezax posted:

I see a similar thing with Pepe the Frog now that I watch Twitch streams regularly. Pepe's all over emotes there, and as someone who had front row seats to the Bad Internet's collective masks-off pivot around the 2016 election, I was fairly concerned at first.

But nope, people on that platform just treat him as a funny cartoon frog man. I dunno if it has to do with a younger demographic, who probably weren't as online as the rest of us in 2016? But once you see your thousandth Pepe doing the PogChamp face, you realize that people are just posting a silly emote to react to a streamer and aren't part of a psyop to convince you that the Holocaust didn't happen.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Pepe returned to the common people thanks to twitch

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Crunch Buttsteak posted:

I see a similar thing with Pepe the Frog now that I watch Twitch streams regularly. Pepe's all over emotes there, and as someone who had front row seats to the Bad Internet's collective masks-off pivot around the 2016 election, I was fairly concerned at first.

But nope, people on that platform just treat him as a funny cartoon frog man. I dunno if it has to do with a younger demographic, who probably weren't as online as the rest of us in 2016? But once you see your thousandth Pepe doing the PogChamp face, you realize that people are just posting a silly emote to react to a streamer and aren't part of a psyop to convince you that the Holocaust didn't happen.

It's not just a younger demographic. All Twitch streams I watch are done by people in their thirties or older. It's that most people don't dedicate all of their screen time to arguing politics and keeping up with every single dog whistle and co-opting of memes used by neo-nazis.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Didn’t the guy who made Pepe take it back from the Nazis?

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

FlamingLiberal posted:

Didn’t the guy who made Pepe take it back from the Nazis?

I think there was a documentary film about it.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Matt Furie expressed his opinion about it by killing Pepe, but that poo poo was out of his control. I think it just ran its course and phased out on its own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
Sometimes a pepe is actually a pepo