Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
This thing where dwarfs suddenly start socializing/praying en masse is a bug, right? Lazy buggers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

toasterwarrior posted:

This thing where dwarfs suddenly start socializing/praying en masse is a bug, right? Lazy buggers

They should stop all doing it once those needs are fulfilled. It's just that they've missed socializing/praying a lot and when you build a temple or tavern they get overly excited.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
Someone earlier in the thread mentioned it was because they all rush to a temple or tavern to release their pent up tensions as soon as one is available, and that they'll get back to work normally after they feel better. I have done any testing to confirm the theory, though.

Griz
May 21, 2001

BurntCornMuffin posted:

It's a meeting space that has been flagged as being a tavern. They are amazing for moods and attracting visitors who bring information about the world, sometimes choosing to stay for an extended period or even becoming full citizens. You really want to build one and add a few guest rooms.

I had a tavern based off a dining area and it looked like it was working, but two years later I realized I hadn't heard the tavern song for a really long time. so I rezoned it with the dining part being large enough to still be legendary, and everything else meeting area, both assigned to the tavern. that seemed to fix it and now there's always a ton of people "socializing" in the dining area while the meeting area part is used for performances.

also the library zone is surprisingly popular

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Griz posted:

I had a tavern based off a dining area and it looked like it was working, but two years later I realized I hadn't heard the tavern song for a really long time. so I rezoned it with the dining part being large enough to still be legendary, and everything else meeting area, both assigned to the tavern. that seemed to fix it and now there's always a ton of people "socializing" in the dining area while the meeting area part is used for performances.

also the library zone is surprisingly popular

This is a cool idea so I stole it.

Everyone crams into the corner in shifts to eat and socialize and listen to performances. Usually after eating one of them will step up and tell a story to the next group that comes in to eat.

You can't see it in the picture but there are probably 100+ dwarves in this screenshot. Only one at each table spot is Eating, but there are upwards of 7+ per tile standing there socializing and listening to the performance.

The slabs on the right side are memorials to stray dogs and because of those the Meeting Area zone assigned to the tavern is called a "Memorial Hall". Before they were there it was a Statue Garden (because of the statues, obviously).

Since I dug it into a place I mined veins out of and it has these uneven walls and because the "meeting area" zone extends beyond the walls in places there are even cliques that hang out in the back alley or out front, like the Corrupted Human Hunter out front in the screenshot.

This all got me thinking that the best way to handle this is probably to build some kind of large Grand Hall Meeting Area, centralized in your base, and then assign several different sub-zones inside of it - like a leisure district basically. You can have the one large meeting area with little corners tucked away containing taverns, statue gardens, memorial halls, etc. That would keep everyone in a central location constantly socializing with each other at all times. You could even do multiple smaller taverns with like 4 tables each and a little 5x5 performance area, which should keep dwarves milling about like a bar district.

I have an unused space in my base with a dwarf-made river dug underneath it so I think I might try and set something like that up here, maybe even with a bath-house (mist machines + soap + 3/4-deep pond), a canal walkway, etc. But first I need to make a bunch of truly absurdly expensive furniture to put in it.

e:

Pretty interesting so far, everyone goes to one 'section' of it, hangs out for a while, then mills about to another. So they're churning around socializing in large groups. It seems like fewer people eat at once though?

e2: Ohhhh, I see. They all hang out socializing as they will, but occasionally someone will start telling a good story or singing a song and the entire room will rush over to them to listen to it.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Dec 24, 2022

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
Any tips for deep earth living? Magma forges from my volcano forts spoiled me, so this time I dug down aggressively and found hot rocks at around -110, luckily I'm only at 21 population so far so migrating won't be a massive pain. Walled up some cavern pastures and farm plots. I'm still thinking about having a 'visitors center' at the entrance with a tavern, a library, guildhalls and temples, but maybe setting all that up at -100 would be more convenient and the visitors can just take the stairs...

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Things I learned today:

I thought there might've been something buggy with dwarves worshipping in dedicated temples but turns out that if a dwarf is doing Socialize! or Worship! — in purple, with the exclamation mark — then it means that their need to do so became so great they had to go do it at the exclusion of all else. For instance I noticed my main weapon/armorsmith wasn't making any bolts and turns out they were busy praying. When this happens it can take a while but they will return to their jobs eventually. You can force them by unzoning the area but you don't need to.

Mist generators are indeed mega happy thought generators (as long as you don't have a dead elven diplomat corpse stuck in yours, lol).

I finally had a couple cats adopt dwarves in this fort. Both those dwarves like cats (in their personality) so maybe that's why.

Also a personal playstyle tip that I recommend — nickname your dwarves! Give them unique "titles"! It makes keeping track of dwarves and their lives a lot more fun!

For instance a forgotten beast duck appeared and I marshalled my force to get ready to defend against it, but a monster slayer that was already in the caverns just stabbed it to death with a spear, no problem. So now they get to be known as the Duck Slayer. They're also the only one actually bothering to do any monster slaying around here. They took down a bunch of troglodytes on their own, to the point where they were over-exerted and I thought any moment now they'd fall unconscious and die. Well, they're still kicking, and I noticed they're unhappy about tattered clothing so I'm making some larger human-sized clothing for them now.

I had another dwarf that got drunk and started brawling. He punched in the face of a human bard and landed him in the hospital. Well, all his disorderly conduct landed him in the hospital in turn after the dwarves decided that proper justice was giving him a beating. His entire personality list is basically him having no social EQ and also preferring to participate in fistfights so I guess this was not surprising. He's since gone back to hanging out at the tavern, including letting slip that one of my artifacts is there. What a dumb rear end in a top hat.

I have a military dwarf who I had to retire from service because a group of troglodytes cornered her and severed the motor nerves in her lower spine. She's now paralyzed from the waist down and can't walk. :( She crawls along really slowly and the first thing she did once she became a civilian was go pray to the goddess of death (who is known as The Dead in this civilization).

I also have a 15 year old teen who, upon reflecting on seeing a corpse, became more cruel. :stonk: I really love the memory/personality tie-in system. I had a fort where it rained all the time and this consistently traumatized dwarves in a variety of ways, including one, who, after getting rained on, figured that nature could be bulldozed entirely into a pit and that would be great, actually. I've also seen dwarves become more compassionate and loving after having children or getting into relationships, which is neat.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

toasterwarrior posted:

There's a bug with meeting halls of any kind that can cause all work to grind to a halt, yes. Only way I know of to fix it is to delete all meeting halls.
Which sucks rear end, when you've got ~200 dorfs.

Griz
May 21, 2001

deep dish peat moss posted:

This all got me thinking that the best way to handle this is probably to build some kind of large Grand Hall Meeting Area, centralized in your base, and then assign several different sub-zones inside of it - like a leisure district basically. You can have the one large meeting area with little corners tucked away containing taverns, statue gardens, memorial halls, etc. That would keep everyone in a central location constantly socializing with each other at all times. You could even do multiple smaller taverns with like 4 tables each and a little 5x5 performance area, which should keep dwarves milling about like a bar district.

I put the tavern/dining hall, temple/mister, library, and all the guildhalls on the same level and they circulated between all of them except the doctor hall which no one used until I unassigned every meeting area except the dining hall (that's why everything else is empty here)

activities don't cross zone lines but if they'll pile up in a tiny zone without fighting or anything then that's not a problem

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

You guys all have such pretty neatly arranged forts. My fort, Boarboard (I would say it’s like waterboarding but with boars, except I don’t actually have any boars, or for that matter any prisoners to drip boars onto) is an absolute loving mess. I’ll post screens that will make you all cry when I get back from visiting fam for xmas

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Dec 24, 2022

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Thanks for the heads-up about meeting halls. Not sure which way this is swinging but I'm straight up seeing dudes just chain-watching performances so maybe I do need to turn off these meeting halls for a reset. Bummer.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Broken Cog posted:

Hot take: You don't really need magma furnaces if you have bituminous coal or lignite on your map. On my last fort I had 2000+ coke just from having a single smelter set to make coke permanently.

Yeah, I haven't seen magma on my current fort and I'm sitting on like 200 steel bars and 500 coke. That's after making 30 full steel armor/weapon sets and a ton of random metal and glass crap. That said, it is nice to get magma furnaces eventually just to have a truly infinite well of glass stuff.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Question: I'm trying to decorate my finished goods but it's not working. I assume that maybe stuff of a base material cannot be decorated with the same material?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

toasterwarrior posted:

Question: I'm trying to decorate my finished goods but it's not working. I assume that maybe stuff of a base material cannot be decorated with the same material?

Yeah, only artifacts can do that.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Gotcha, thanks!

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
You saying I can't have an emerald that menaces with spikes of emerald? Uninstalling

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

So just noodling around for no reason I randomly discovered THIS crazy bloody list of earrings on ONE dwarf.

When I say crazy I mean it, I lost count after FIFTY loving earrings.
This kid is SIX.

Well the stupid King banned them from export so sure, gently caress it, wear the entire lot of them you might as well.

Also I sent a bunch of militia out to kill an ettin and the fight log didn't really tell me who killed it (the last item for the ettin was one of the necks snapping) - other than loading it in legends mode is there any way I can get to it's history to find out who did so I can statue them in the kings throne room to show that useless twit what usefulness looks like?

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

Dog beak egg salmon yak liver stew man that sounds good as hell!

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009

Azhais posted:

You saying I can't have an emerald that menaces with spikes of emerald? Uninstalling

Speaking of large gems, has anyone seen their gemcutters making any at all in the new version? I have significantly more gems than normal because the default mineral density is at the maximum, and I've been cutting them all for experience, but I haven't seen a single large gem made by my dwarves.

Griz
May 21, 2001

is there any way to prevent dwarfs from "acquiring" your fancy export goods besides only making scepters and figurines?

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

I've been absolutely rapt in this game since the steam release. (Oh, and I managed to get it running on my macbook M1, and it runs..... fine! Basically you need to grab a copy of the directory from your windows steam dir OR go install steamcmd from the net and then run
code:
./steamcmd +@sSteamCmdForcePlatformType windows +force_install_dir ~/Games/DwarfFortress +login <your steam id> +app_update 975370 validate +quit
and grab the resulting directory and feed it into wine. I have a Codeweaver subscription (no fuss), but the various open source distros apparently work fine.

Anyway, some thoughts. This UI is infinitely more useable than the old one. I've had a bit of a ritual of every year running a DF game, but I always find myself at first a little frusturated figuring out how to do things, and then by the end kinda itching to never look at that UI again. But this, I've been addicted all week. But theres still some things that need work. Scrolling thru endless lists of dwarves can get tiring and these dialogues need some consistency and perhaps a bit of search functiionality. I also found myself extremely frusturated at one point unable to get my dwarves to mine before finally after 2+ hours of irritation realising that for some reason I cant have them assigned as logger and miner at the same time.

Also Elves must die. After I got a message from the Elves to stop logging, I told my squads to murder the traders that turned up immediately after. Any elf that sets foot on my fort now joins the fate of any goblin (goddamn spys. grr). Butchered and left on the body pile out the front. I've set an order to chop down the entire forest. I'd be fine with that sort of "stop logging!" request except for the fuckers always turn up with logs for sale, so ..... yeah I'm not letting them run a monopoly racket on my own fort!

Also, can I burn that body pile?

Oh, and dumb question, but how do I make more picks?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

You can let the bodies rot to nothing in a refuse/dump or you can dump them into the "magma," which will remove them. I believe you can also smash them with a drawbridge which will entirely remove them from your reality.

You make more picks at the forge, I believe it's classed as a weapon - the metals you can use for it are, as I recall, copper, bronze, iron, steel, adamant

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Griz posted:

is there any way to prevent dwarfs from "acquiring" your fancy export goods besides only making scepters and figurines?

My fancy export goods are gold statues set on repeat to have gems embedded in them until they're worth 20k dorfbux, I'd like to see someone try to stuff one of those down their pants while taking it to the trade depot

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

w-w-what are my dwarves making their backpacks out of...

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I love stupid forgotten beasts made of silty loam or whatever. I just had one menace the crundles and pond grabbers living in my caves/pump stack, and then upon making it to the surface one of my new recruits immediately kicked its head off.

Spoggerific posted:

Speaking of large gems, has anyone seen their gemcutters making any at all in the new version? I have significantly more gems than normal because the default mineral density is at the maximum, and I've been cutting them all for experience, but I haven't seen a single large gem made by my dwarves.

No, but you can just order them to be made from bone, or metal, or wood, or etc.

Xinlum
Apr 12, 2009

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a Dark Knight

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I have no idea beyond the advice of "make a hard save before loving with designations" because tomb zoning and specifically unzoning seems to be a frequent crash point at the moment

Do you have any info on this? My fortress is crashing frequently on the deck and I'm pretty sure it has something to do with me messing with my meeting area/dining room zones.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Nessus posted:

Are turkeys even available at embark?

That depends on if your parent civilization has access to turkeys. With a lot of stuff they also have to have specific knowledge, but turkey taming should be universal.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Xinlum posted:

Do you have any info on this? My fortress is crashing frequently on the deck and I'm pretty sure it has something to do with me messing with my meeting area/dining room zones.

Nope, I haven't been able to reproduce it relliably enough to figure out exactly what's going on, just the fact that saving before loving with existing zone designations is generally a good idea, especially when it comes to tombs. The crashes I came across were specifically during redesignation, so if you can get it done and have it not crash it's generally fine, but...

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I dunno when Toady made it so you can decorate finished goods directly instead of dwarfs decorating the bins they're stored in because they're dummies but...yeah this is really cool, watching my dudes build on each other's work.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

Hot take: You don't really need magma furnaces if you have bituminous coal or lignite on your map. On my last fort I had 2000+ coke just from having a single smelter set to make coke permanently.

if you have a lot of coal, yeah. it sounds like your last fort got fairly lucky because even when your embark includes a lot of sedimentary layers the coal veins can be small

Khanstant posted:

Dunno if I have any coal or anything on my nap or not but there's so many drat trees I can't imagine ever running out. Haven't bothered looking for magma since one dude burning logs gets it all done just fine.

this on the other hand is hard to scale up because 1 log -> 1 charcoal is inefficient as hell and means that you need 1 dwarf burning wood per dwarf using fuel, unless you get like, a migrant who is a legendary furnace operator.

credburn posted:

Hey guys how do I stop my livestock from starving to death in the tavern? They don't care about the pen I made.

Also: a "tavern" isn't really a thing, right? It's just shorthand for a combination of zones and furniture, right?

you need to assign the animals to the pen, they don't decide to go to it like a dwarf would. the way they congregate around meeting areas is misleading, it's just kind of a hacky kludge designed to make them stay near the wagon early on.

taverns are real, you assign zones to be part of a tavern "location" and can then assign tavern keepers and performers and stuff. hospitals, temples, and libraries work the same way

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
Is there an easy (i.e. without very specific stockpile fuckery) way to make them decorate things that don't already have decorations? One gold statue with a hundred types of gem on it is kind of funny but I'd rather spread the wealth out a little bit.

Macdoo
Jul 24, 2012

Bad Tabletop Opinions Haver
Work order that checks for decoratable items before it begins has worked out for me

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Spoggerific posted:

Is there an easy (i.e. without very specific stockpile fuckery) way to make them decorate things that don't already have decorations? One gold statue with a hundred types of gem on it is kind of funny but I'd rather spread the wealth out a little bit.

stockpile fuckery is the way but in this particular case it's not complicated. set up a stockpile for whatever kinds of stuff you want to have decorated, which the decoration workshops take from, and then a stockpile which receives the decorated stuff from the decoration shops. one particular worker may multi-decorate the same item within the same workshop, but it's fairly unlikely they'll do more than 2 or 3 gems or w/e before it gets hauled to the post-decoration stockpile, which - since the workshops are only able to take from their input stockpile - they can't re-grab to slather more decorations on. if you build decorated furniture and then deconstruct it it'll probably end up back in the pre-decoration stockpile and get decorated again if you don't build it somewhere else fairly quickly but that's not much of a problem really

SwimNurd
Oct 28, 2007

mememememe

duck monster posted:

I've been absolutely rapt in this game since the steam release. (Oh, and I managed to get it running on my macbook M1, and it runs..... fine! Basically you need to grab a copy of the directory from your windows steam dir OR go install steamcmd from the net and then run
code:
./steamcmd +@sSteamCmdForcePlatformType windows +force_install_dir ~/Games/DwarfFortress +login <your steam id> +app_update 975370 validate +quit
and grab the resulting directory and feed it into wine. I have a Codeweaver subscription (no fuss), but the various open source distros apparently work fine.

It just works with steam’s built in wine, proton in Linux. I don’t have an m1, but I suspect all you need to do is just install it in steam and run it.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
What parameters do I need to set to get more volcanos? I'm trying to make my next fort on a volcano in an evil biome, but I seem to get ~1 volcano per world gen so the odds aren't great of getting a viable site.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
"minimum volcanos" :v:

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Danaru posted:

"minimum volcanos" :v:

I didn't even notice that option and now I feel dumb!

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Jazerus posted:

if you have a lot of coal, yeah. it sounds like your last fort got fairly lucky because even when your embark includes a lot of sedimentary layers the coal veins can be small

Idunno about that. In every fort I've found coal, there's been basically inexhaustible amounts of it, just gotta dig out some floors where you find it. I don't think I've ever found a "small" coal vein.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Jazerus posted:

this on the other hand is hard to scale up because 1 log -> 1 charcoal is inefficient as hell and means that you need 1 dwarf burning wood per dwarf using fuel, unless you get like, a migrant who is a legendary furnace operator.

This is something I’ve been wondering - what exactly does Legendary status do for labors where the output doesn’t have a quality attached to it? Like, I had this guy show up who is a Legendary Gelder - does dude just snip balls ultra fast or what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Bold Robot posted:

This is something I’ve been wondering - what exactly does Legendary status do for labors where the output doesn’t have a quality attached to it? Like, I had this guy show up who is a Legendary Gelder - does dude just snip balls ultra fast or what?

Usually it means they're just really fast. For Gelder though, animals can fight back. Skill reduces the chance of them taking damage while performing their "craft".

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Dec 24, 2022