Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Having pretty thoroughly plumbed the Mistlands update now:

Excellent update, lots of cool new toys, enjoyably challenging content. Magic (mostly Embers and Protection) is a little overtuned right now but that should be easy enough to fix. Embers needs like 20-30% of it's damage knocked off. Protection honestly could be halved in efficacy and it would still be extremely good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
I feel like the swamp is one of the more satisfying to conquer. When you start you're running from everything, and when you get all your iron gear it's no longer scary.

That said, I'd love if each "tier" of armor somehow allowed you to either craft stuff more cheaply or take lesser ores through portals. Does anyone really want to stomp invincibly through the swamp or BF just to collect wood and ores?

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

I think the swamp is one of the coolest biomes, but also one you will get painfully sick of because you just need so much goddamn iron and crypts are unreliable spawns, and setting up a cart path once again or doing your 500th run to the boat to drop off ore is so goddamn tedious. By the time I'm going through plains stuff I never want to look at a swamp again, yet I have to to make the next tier of everything. Or just like, a base.

And as mentioned by another poster, the novelty of bulk mining has already worn off during the copper stage - if you've got a couple playthroughs in you know you don't need bronze armor so you avoid mining too much in the copper stage, but on a first playthrough? We spent hours and hours gearing up with bronze stuff; finding out how quickly it become obsolete and that we had to grind more ore and do the same crap for the next 10 hours, plus the often-frustrating search for crypts, was a nightmare. That's what makes crypts suck.

If there was some other way to get iron, or some other way to turn other metals into iron, or even if plains tech didn't require more iron, it would be a lot more fun. Swamps are cool, grinding iron for 30 hours isn't.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Swamp is when i fell in love with the game originally. Suddenly it turns night and someone on voice freaks out over seeing a wraith for the first time...

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Taffer posted:

I think the swamp is one of the coolest biomes, but also one you will get painfully sick of because you just need so much goddamn iron and crypts are unreliable spawns, and setting up a cart path once again or doing your 500th run to the boat to drop off ore is so goddamn tedious. By the time I'm going through plains stuff I never want to look at a swamp again, yet I have to to make the next tier of everything. Or just like, a base.

And as mentioned by another poster, the novelty of bulk mining has already worn off during the copper stage - if you've got a couple playthroughs in you know you don't need bronze armor so you avoid mining too much in the copper stage, but on a first playthrough? We spent hours and hours gearing up with bronze stuff; finding out how quickly it become obsolete and that we had to grind more ore and do the same crap for the next 10 hours, plus the often-frustrating search for crypts, was a nightmare. That's what makes crypts suck.

If there was some other way to get iron, or some other way to turn other metals into iron, or even if plains tech didn't require more iron, it would be a lot more fun. Swamps are cool, grinding iron for 30 hours isn't.

Honestly, after the iron grind, the best thing about Mistlands is how self-enclosed it is. You still need old materials, but they can all be found on site aside from one or two things for certain weapons. You can pretty much set sail after the plains with just a portal, it's really nice. I hope this is the pattern they follow for the next biomes.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Glass of Milk posted:

I feel like the swamp is one of the more satisfying to conquer. When you start you're running from everything, and when you get all your iron gear it's no longer scary.

That said, I'd love if each "tier" of armor somehow allowed you to either craft stuff more cheaply or take lesser ores through portals. Does anyone really want to stomp invincibly through the swamp or BF just to collect wood and ores?

i like the process of civilizing the swamp, building roads and sheds and treehouses everywhere

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Haldor no: whining about having to farm iron
Haldor yes: whining about having to farm bloodbags

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Crossposting from the VR thread: I'm having trouble getting the VHVR mod to work. I've run other VR-modded games (Outer Wilds) in VR fine, but when I run Valheim, it just starts in windowed mode. It doesn't matter if I run it from SteamVR's VR UI or directly from the desktop, and I've tried both via Oculus Link and Virtual Desktop, but the result is the same. What am I missing? Best I can figure is that Valheim doesn't see the SteamVR runtime. I've tried both the latest version on the nexus page and the beta from their discord.

Edit: I got it working--you have to manually install BepinEx even if you've installed BepinEx via modloader. It's beautiful!

Argue fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Dec 22, 2022

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I'm not the only person who spends as much time thinking about chimneys as anything else in construction in this game am I? I'm in the middle of building a coal factory and by far the most complicated thing is the chimney.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
I can't make a decent looking roof in this game to save my life. Chimneys are completely beyond me until I can at least figure out the roofing.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Eifert Posting posted:

I'm not the only person who spends as much time thinking about chimneys as anything else in construction in this game am I? I'm in the middle of building a coal factory and by far the most complicated thing is the chimney.

Every time I design a new building, the first thing I plan around is where the chimney will go and how I can build around it for maximum structural integrity

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

Gadzuko posted:

I can't make a decent looking roof in this game to save my life. Chimneys are completely beyond me until I can at least figure out the roofing.

Check this guy’s tutorial out, the rest of the series is good too:
https://youtu.be/o_YnbdHpkaM

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Realistically (and practically) the chimney should be the center of the building because the fire effect should cover the whole thing and it also gives you something else to build around. Of course this does cause issues with two storey buildings because you need to plumb it through the middle of the building and through the rooms, so you can consider using stairs to funnel the smoke sideways out of the building, or just build a big smoke chamber above the fireplace and let it collect there. or even just don't make a chimney at all and let it vent into the rafters. You might also want to make it one wall of the building as that keeps more of your floor space clear and just deal with one side of the building being cold or use more fires.

I usually go for the rafters venting approach unless I want to build an inglenook fireplace.

To make roofs look a bit more interesting you mainly want to make intersecting roofs, and consider extending the intersection out beyond the join, this also allows you to leave a hole up there which keeps the rain out but lets smoke vent out (this roof is too high to actually vent smoke it just sits up there until it times out) and also extend the gable ends over the exterior walls to add shadows and a sense of depth.

You can also make round roofs by just connecting the outer edges and rotating one tick each time (make two pieces between each rotation if you want a larger rounded roof) and the thatch covers up the weirdness. Frame the interior with a more structured set of bracing rafters to cover the interior ugliness (and also to hold the thing up, the rafters in the first image above are not ornamental) and anything that adds vertical interest, such as tiered roofs around a central tower etc, stone walls make great jumping off points for wooden greebling, again much like real life you can anchor wooden constructions to them so you can make things like hoardings.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Dec 22, 2022

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Speaking of building, I'm almost finished with my current projects: an inn and a temple/stores. Not sure what to do next. Maybe a harbor? Or a small house somewhere, because right now I sleep in one of the inn guestrooms.

From the shore:

To the left of the entrance is the smithy:

If you head upwards the grounds you see the inn and the temple:

Ample storage inside the temple. There's a basement level that contains a workshop.

The view from the temple balcony.

Aerial shot:

Inside the inn, the kitchen to the left:

To the right: eating area, food/mead storage (can't seem it because of the hearth fire) and guestrooms

EDIT:
Also, if you want to make a chimney without using any roof pieces, this solution lets through smoke and protects against the rain. Or at least it's been working for me.

anatomi fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Dec 22, 2022

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I am curious to see what a hammerbeam roof looks like with the new dark wood parts as the arch corners seem designed for it, might be a rather silly looking one to get the right span but if needs be I can cheat and use iron beams to actually hold the thing up. Good enough for brunel it's good enough for me :v:

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Ooh, I’d not heard of these before but yeah that’s perfect for this type of roof! I bet that would look awesome.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

I am curious to see what a hammerbeam roof looks like with the new dark wood parts as the arch corners seem designed for it, might be a rather silly looking one to get the right span but if needs be I can cheat and use iron beams to actually hold the thing up. Good enough for brunel it's good enough for me :v:

I'm 100% putting them in my plains great hall when I get there.

Also good news! Both Moder spawns on my map are surrounded by mistlands. Well, one has about a 10 meter wide strip of plains there terminating in the mountain cliff, so...getting the eggs up there sounds fun.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

OwlFancier posted:

Pretty good.

I'm not sure it would look right if you tried to scale it up much more than this. The dark wood arch is only 2m wide. Also, the lack of roofing steeper than 45deg makes it tough to do certain types of architecture, like the classic scandinavian stave church.

Whipped this out in creative mode in like 15 minutes. Gotta start doing that more often for prototypes.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
You can get partially steeper looking roofs than 45 degrees in two ways, but only from farther away.

One is just to add a 1x1 floor to the top of the roof sticking outwards and attach the bottom of the next roof to it. Layered enough and from far away it looks steeper than 45. You can also do something similar with putting a 1m wood wall down from the top of the bottom roof tile, then a 2m connection sticking out through the bottom roof tile. Attach the next roof tile to that piece and you end up with a series of 45 degree roof pieces that start 1m up from the midway point of the previous roof tile. Stacked up again it looks steeper than 45.

IIRC, I liked the look of the latter more but it's been awhile since I did it.

Of course we could just get steeper roof pieces...

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Dec 23, 2022

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Nice! Though I think I would need to use more of the dark wood to try and draw the eye away from the knot pattern, it stands out really heavily and all I can see is the zigzag of the patterned bits. Run some 45 degrees with the roof maybe to soften it, and maybe add some pendants.

There are I think, historical double hammerbeam roofs so you could go one layer further, or possibly even build one out of the other pieces. You could also perhaps make the whole thing steeper by using 1m spacers to mount the second and third beams midway through the previous ones and then go for like a sort of... clinker built roof almost.

A 26 degree off-vertical set would be nice though yeah.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Dec 23, 2022

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Good point about the zig zag, I hadn't noticed that. A non-darkwood arch would be nice to go along with the 64deg roof.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
While I'm nitpicking I'd like the dragon ornament to match the color or especially the size of other beams. It doesn't really fit on anything. I usually try to bury the start of it in a roof or angle them instead of using them and the ends of roof ridges.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
youre all doing it wrong. vikings live in obelisks

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

mastershakeman posted:

You missed some things in that shot.

I can't myself from making round things.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Loving all of this. One of the best parts about Valheim's building system is the restrictive stability. It breeds a lot of creativity.

mastershakeman posted:

Reminds me of the tank in Raised by Wolves.

I don't follow any Valheim channels, so this may be common knowledge but it blew my mind when I accidentally stumbled upon it – you can offset pieces by using a wood door. This allows you for instance to make trimming that juts out:

Or to center pieces, like doors and windows:

You can also use this method to make thin(ner) double-sided wood walls with air gaps:

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Do you not use the hand place button? It's less accurate than using the snaps but lets you do waaaaay more than the snaps will let you.

I like the door trick though, it keeps the parts aligned more than hand placing would.

There's a similar technique with core wood that lets you do .5m vertical offsets. Horizontal core wood pieces have snap point above and below, which is how you can make log cabin walls, or you can use the snap for closer spacing then you can by default:

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
So is there any point in building bases out of stone? Or is the basic wood good enough?

I know core wood pillars can go up higher without collapsing but I'm wondering if stone has any practical benefits, or if it's purely aesthetic.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

So is there any point in building bases out of stone? Or is the basic wood good enough?

I know core wood pillars can go up higher without collapsing but I'm wondering if stone has any practical benefits, or if it's purely aesthetic.
IIRC it's more durable but in general I feel like creatures either do so little terrain damage it won't matter, or do so much it won't matter either.

Stone doesn't need to be covered to not degrade at least.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Stone supplies, and uses, a lot more weight capacity but can only really transfer it downwards, it has garbage tensile strength. And the principle of the arch is kind of non-existent so you need to make a corbel arch if you want to vault a ceiling with it.

So you can build a tall stone building, and then build another tall wood building on top of the stone one, because the marginal amount of capacity the stone has left will likely be enough to support wood as well as the ground will. You can also build outwards using wood, from a stone wall as if it were the ground itself. Stone should be the base of most large buildings for this reason, it provides a strong base from which wood embellishments can be constructed.

It is also significantly tougher.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Dec 23, 2022

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

You can build larger buildings with stone, but Iron Beams are even better, and you can hide those inside a Core Wood beam if you want I think. I find it's mostly asthetic (and thus I don't use it for walls because it looks bad [or I'm too bad at blending it with the roof])

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

Do you not use the hand place button? It's less accurate than using the snaps but lets you do waaaaay more than the snaps will let you.

I like the door trick though, it keeps the parts aligned more than hand placing would.

There's a similar technique with core wood that lets you do .5m vertical offsets. Horizontal core wood pieces have snap point above and below, which is how you can make log cabin walls, or you can use the snap for closer spacing then you can by default:

Outside of weird poo poo like stacking kilns, hardly ever. The inconsistency stresses me out, especially on large-scale projects.

Didn't know about the core wood trick! That's excellent.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The trick with the roof is that you should build a wood top layer or make the whole building stone (which is hard because again, no true arches)

Doesn't have to be an entire floor, but ideally the building should have a wooden upper trim at last to which you can attach the roof. Then overhang the roof to cast that into shadow and you get a nice look that doesn't just look like the thatch is fused with the stone.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Dec 23, 2022

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
Yeah I mostly just use stone for foundations. The thicker walls really mess with my floor plans and I rarely make buildings that are tall enough to need the durability. You can make a pretty comfortable two-storey building with a high roof and chimney with ordinary wood.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Jabarto posted:

Yeah I mostly just use stone for foundations. The thicker walls really mess with my floor plans and I rarely make buildings that are tall enough to need the durability. You can make a pretty comfortable two-storey building with a high roof and chimney with ordinary wood.

My issue with combined wood and stone buildings is twofold, but yes, if I use stone it's usually a foundation. My two issues are the thickness of the stone walls messes with my floor plans somewhat, and sticking a wood wall on top of a stone wall results in the wood jutting out a bit from the stone. Which looks good if you are building hoardings, less good if you're trying to make two story house, one of stone and one of wood. I haven't really tried using core wood horizontally instead to mitigate that, but I might next.

Either way, most of my buildings are primarily wood because it's much more flexible aesthetically. You just can't stick a thatched roof on it without it looking weird, so I top towers with corewood poles and use that to support a thatch roof.

E: and most stone towers I "build" are converted and renovated ones I find in the wild and turn into bases/pieces of bases.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Dec 23, 2022

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I dunno I think a 1 meter tall wall on the inside of the stone wall and then rest the roof on that, looks pretty much fine?

Wants some more trims between the sections ideally as that always helps to make transitions look nicer, and I might also extend the roof out another 2m and put some bracing ribs under it to make the roof look a bit beefier to match the stone walls, but the 1m trim on the inside helps to make it look more solid and outside you just want to make the roof bigger/bulkier to match the look of the building. As this one is pretty monolithic I am going to probably want it a bit bigger than the current 1m overhang, but it looks good on the gable end I think.

E: yeah there, extended one further on the side with the eaves, added regular bracing ribs, looks much bulkier and fits the heavy profile of the building. Shadow from the eaves helps break up the transition.

If the roof looks wrong genuinely my first suggestion is just make it bigger. You can mechanically get away with the bare minimum roof, but for looks you should overbuild it.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Dec 23, 2022

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Best use I've found for mixed materials is a stone plinth with wood on top.

Also I'm on team Complicated Roofs. Even if all you have is some vertical beams and a roof, it'll look great if you do the roof right.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Well I already don't like the new spawn-anywhere events as they don't follow the previous rules. Earlier today a bat swarm spawned basically on top of our hog farm. Not near or around, but dead-center thinking back now.

Then a few minutes ago the ground rumbled, which wouldn't be an issue if the trolls spawned outside of the camp walls like usual. Nope, one was just off of center to the camp boundaries and the other was by the shore. Quick to kill, but not quick enough since a medium amount of building damage happened while just walking to the tall blue poo poo stacks.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
I had a wolf hunt happen just as I began assaulting a fuling village. It turned into a Benny hill scene with wolves getting rocked left and right by fulings while I desperately dodged/parried and headed into a swamp to the relative safety of a big dead tree to climb.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Dumb question but you know those big stone circles made of 6 giant stones? Are they actually circles, or are they oval? Because I'm kind of going nuts trying to build a circular structure on the inside that's equidistant from each of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Argue posted:

Dumb question but you know those big stone circles made of 6 giant stones? Are they actually circles, or are they oval? Because I'm kind of going nuts trying to build a circular structure on the inside that's equidistant from each of them.

The fact that they have 5 (not 6) stones and building uses 8 directions makes it pretty difficult to figure out a center, and I think you're right that they're not perfectly arranged.