Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy

learnincurve posted:

Congratulations, Twitter is now illegal under UK law and has to go on a black list or pay 40% of it’s yearly revenue in fines

Couple pages back but I'm curious what specific law is being broken here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

pablo gbscobar posted:

Couple pages back but I'm curious what specific law is being broken here?

GDPR which is like COPPA but much broader in scope and more strictly enforced.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

space uncle posted:

Elon was always a bad guy based on accounts of his family, his upbringing, his management styles at PayPal, SpaceX, Tesla.

yes paypal is/was evil though he sold that company and invested in telsa and founded spaceX.

I have a buddy from high school who was a trucker, goes to trump rallies, hates trans people, smokes meth, loving hates C.A.R.B. and loathes green energy. He also likes to qoute this line from the simpsons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2HX5wsQVEA

But get this, he took a ride in a telsa and the experience won him over.

Also he went from hating Elon to I m pretty sure he would blow him now, for owning the libs.

I remember the first spaceX launch and there was a thread in GBS about it.

But back to telsa. Credit where credit due Tesla was able to "crash the mode" and do what the big 3 refused to do.

Eh I m ranting so I ll stop but maybe the best way to put my thoughts are this if elon and kanye bought valve would you guys delete your steam accounts?

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Oh wow someone you admit is a complete piece of poo poo likes a car

I guess that means it's super good and not really dumb

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Paracausal posted:

I have explicitly remember the Thai cave rescue being the point I personally soured on the guy. Not only did he try to bring down a legitimate hero, he then sued him for daring to try and clear his name.
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/jul/15/elon-musk-british-diver-thai-cave-rescue-pedo-twitter

I like to think it made things worse for musk because he won the case, it made him look like a lovely and petty goliath who defeated a David (who also happened to be a hero)

Also lmao I just checked and found out the diver's lawyer was Lin Wood. Who several years later joined Sydney Powell in being an insane conspiracy theorist on the trump election loss

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Elon is an rear end in a top hat idiot and has always been an rear end in a top hat idiot. Hope that helps clear up any confusion for anyone mounting a weird semi-coherent defense of him.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Bottom Liner posted:

GDPR which is like COPPA but much broader in scope and more strictly enforced.

I don't think gdpr can be applied to websites not offering harm prevention links alongside articles about those subjects.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.

Ups_rail posted:

there is no ethical consumption under capitalisms.

Also if you care about climate change and the enviroment telsa is the company that made the cars, buildt the charging network, showed that the model works, and now the ICE engine companies are playing catch up because they never took EV seriously.

Serious is elon a bad guy? was he always a bad guy? or is the fact he bought a unprofitable social media company, in scam that totally blew up in his face, the reason people are like "no no telsa cars are bad"

Elon's morality existed before he did the twitter thing and will exist after.

I never got on twitter, but its been a while now, why dont every one leave since its so bad

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Ups_rail posted:

this line is about taking the heat off poor people who have to buy cheap things to survive, not people who buy luxury cars!

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Roblo posted:

The fucker can't even bullshit his way through those calls. He knows *so little* that he's got absolutely nothing when he's called out. Just "errr ummm" it's absolutely loving pathetic.

Colossal loser energy.

I'm gonna take your word that this is how it went since it was too embarrassing to even listen to

Ok

PinheadSlim posted:

Oh wow someone you admit is a complete piece of poo poo likes a car

I guess that means it's super good and not really dumb

You got it!

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Infinitum posted:

How's that?

Basically there was a small product liability team but they started getting so much work and interest in dealing with protecting against Tesla the firm has had to create a whole new department to deal with demand.

E: interest is from insurers terrified by the auto driving systems but my understanding is a lot of it is actually just them falling apart on the road and causing accidents.

a pipe smoking dog fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Dec 24, 2022

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Elon is an rear end in a top hat idiot and has always been an rear end in a top hat idiot. Hope that helps clear up any confusion for anyone mounting a weird semi-coherent defense of him.

Hey man, sorry
Let me make a effort to be short clear and concise.

1) Elon musk is bad man. Thunderf00t and common sense sceptic have hours of videos explaining Elons Lies.

1.5) Elon musk ≠ telsa. pointing out the "good" telsa has done in the EV space (which is really the work of the people elon hired) is not defending him.

2.) applying morality to consumption ether of goods or media doesnt work because all consumption is immoral.

3) When making a purchase decision, should the morality of the people involved with the product be a factor?

example I will not buy jewelry because of blood diamonds. it isnt moral. So me not buying my wife jewerly was not me being cheap it was me being moral!

Telling someone not to buy a car outside of the merits of the car and their use case, but on the merits of the companies CEO/Jack rear end seems weird. Unless you wanna go down the road of moral frameworks and consumption, which again just leads to all consumption is bad.

As for my tweaker friend. I m honestly impressed anything got him to move to a more greenway of thinking. But I can see how my point gets lost.

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

Ups_rail posted:

Also if you care about climate change and the enviroment telsa is the company that made the cars, buildt the charging network, showed that the model works, and now the ICE engine companies are playing catch up because they never took EV seriously.

Nissan beat them to mass market and Tesla wasn't profitable until 2020, but ok.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

We were using fully electric milk floats in the uk in the 80s. Dont claim tesla beat them to market.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
so blood diamonds are immoral but purposefully enriching an lying, transphobic piece is poo poo isn't? Where is the line there exactly? If there's no ethical consumption under capitalism then how can buying diamonds be bad either?

Also teslas suck rear end and are designed for and marketed to rich cunts.

e: oh wait it looks like you're saying that blood diamonds aren't bad either? God drat dude you've got some issues

Play fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Dec 24, 2022

Caedus
Sep 11, 2007

It's good to have a sense of scale.

A couple of youtube channels I follow recently got hacked, and in both cases their content was deleted and replaced with Elon Musk talks about bitcoin. I think it might even been the same scam content uploaded on both channels. The channel and icon were both changed to something like "TESLA [$TSLA]" or something like that.

Elon Musk has fully transformed into the man who's face you put on scams and cons and I think he deserves that.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
I hope there's enough footage of him talking out there so someone can make an AI like the Tom Kenny/Spongebob one.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Ups_rail posted:

As for my tweaker friend. I m honestly impressed anything got him to move to a more greenway of thinking. But I can see how my point gets lost.

"friend"

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Croccers posted:

I hope there's enough footage of him talking out there so someone can make an AI like the Tom Kenny/Spongebob one.

you only need 300 sentences.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Ups_rail posted:

Hey man, sorry

1) Elon musk is bad man. Thunderf00t and common sense sceptic have hours of videos explaining Elons Lies.

1.5) Elon musk ≠ telsa. pointing out the "good" telsa has done in the EV space (which is really the work of the people elon hired) is not defending him.

2.) applying morality to consumption ether of goods or media doesnt work because all consumption is immoral.

3) When making a purchase decision, should the morality of the people involved with the product be a factor?

example I will not buy jewelry because of blood diamonds. it isnt moral. So me not buying my wife jewerly was not me being cheap it was me being moral!

Telling someone not to buy a car outside of the merits of the car and their use case, but on the merits of the companies CEO/Jack rear end seems weird. Unless you wanna go down the road of moral frameworks and consumption, which again just leads to all consumption is bad.

That was neither clear nor concise. At this point the best I can figure is that you own a Tesla and have feelings about that.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

Caedus posted:

A couple of youtube channels I follow recently got hacked, and in both cases their content was deleted and replaced with Elon Musk talks about bitcoin. I think it might even been the same scam content uploaded on both channels. The channel and icon were both changed to something like "TESLA [$TSLA]" or something like that.

Elon Musk has fully transformed into the man who's face you put on scams and cons and I think he deserves that.

Some of those are interesting, because they deepfake Musk into shilling their own coin/scam.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022
teslas aren't good. if you want an ev like a model s but better get a polestar. if you want a utility ev, f150. the only current niche modern teslas have is the supercharger network access, that's it. if you don't have a regular long distance path that would need that, no reason to get one in tyetc202*

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001
Look at these assassination coordinates:

https://www.flightradar24.com/R3DN053/2ea2ef9b

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
If you care about the environment you aren't buying ten tons of lithium with a three year lifespan for your daily four hour commute

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Ups_rail posted:

Serious is elon a bad guy? was he always a bad guy? or is the fact he bought a unprofitable social media company, in scam that totally blew up in his face, the reason people are like "no no telsa cars are bad"

Elon's morality existed before he did the twitter thing and will exist after.

I never got on twitter, but its been a while now, why dont every one leave since its so bad

ay yo why you post so bad man

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

ben shapino posted:

ay yo why you post so bad man

Concerning.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Ups_rail posted:

Thunderf00t
You mean he finally got bored of Anita Sarkeesian and lowest-common-denominator Creationists and found someone else to make videos about?

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Ups_rail posted:

Hey man, sorry

take shots of your Tesla's quarter panel gaps with a ruler next to em

ppl are jumping on you for defending the phylactery of Elon - that is both pretty silly but also totally reasonable imo. plus teslas just aren't good today. they're not BAD, they're way better than most ice cars, but they've got awful build quality and their driving software murks ppl

look up Tesla burns on i-405 on Google and hit "show me the rest" at the bottom. look up Tesla kills child hit show me the rest, etc.

they've got it SEO'd out but they gently caress up a LOT for 3m xars ever built and often catastrophically

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

steinrokkan posted:

If you care about the environment you aren't buying ten tons of lithium with a three year lifespan for your daily four hour commute

afaik the reason the battery lifespan dropped in lotta EVs was to improve recycleability and make cheaper batteries since people don't keep cars long when they've got nice car money (must b nice, nice car...)

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

FirstnameLastname posted:

afaik the reason the battery lifespan dropped in lotta EVs was to improve recycleability and make cheaper batteries since people don't keep cars long when they've got nice car money (must b nice, nice car...)

You're probably thinking of low cobalt batteries. Either way EV batteries last a lot longer than 3 years, modern ones have a lifespan of around 200,000-300,000 miles, and not a lot of people keep ICE cars around for that long either.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

CaptainSarcastic posted:

That was neither clear nor concise. At this point the best I can figure is that you own a Tesla and have feelings about that.

I do not own a tesla or tesla stock. I drive a 2009 tacoma. That's had a sweet life and a toyota diesel engine I swapped in from a fj from New Zealand.

Again tesla and their charging network won alot of people over. Would Ford and rivian be doing thier thing without tesla?

As for feelings about tesla how is the ceo of the company is bad therefore the car is bad logical?

Or the people who buy tesla s are people I don't like there for the car is bad.

Now the build and finish quality is bad and it's robot brain is based on Mr magoo and might run you over or suicide you. Now that's a critizim.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Ups_rail posted:

Hey you fuckin' buffoon, the point of that phrase is not "hey go nuts, your decisions don't matter." Ethical decisions can in fact be better or worse in a relative sense; while it'd be better to be able to buy a car that exploited no one's labor, it's still a good thing when you choose not to buy things from the guy who rubs elbows with out-and-vocal nazis.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Ups_rail posted:

I do not own a tesla or tesla stock. I drive a 2009 tacoma. That's had a sweet life and a toyota diesel engine I swapped in from a fj from New Zealand.

Again tesla and their charging network won alot of people over. Would Ford and rivian be doing thier thing without tesla?

As for feelings about tesla how is the ceo of the company is bad therefore the car is bad logical?

Or the people who buy tesla s are people I don't like there for the car is bad.

Now the build and finish quality is bad and it's robot brain is based on Mr magoo and might run you over or suicide you. Now that's a critizim.

Also, epic printer scene in Office Space

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Ups_rail posted:

Lmao

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

The Alabama Constitution in 1861 had a line that reads "Slave labor is cool and good actually, there is no ethical consumption under capitalism anyway."

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Ups_rail posted:

https://twitter.com/dril/status/473265809079693312?t=MP8slexH4wxAiJL4NirRbg&s=19

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Buce posted:

is this a cry for help, Elmon? I mean, more than usual.

the main thing I got from reading this is learning that 988 exists now as a nationwide suicide hotline, and its other fundamental difference from the long standing Suicide Prevention Hotline at 1-800-273-8255 is that 988 can and will send the loving cops to break your door down and baker act you if they don't like what you have to say

this feature should have just pointed at the old National Suicide Prevention Hotline anyway, and we don't need another 3 digit incantation to summon demons with AR-15s to the site of someone's emotional crisis

Ups_rail posted:

it's immoral for someone to kick a person in the shins over their dumb internet opinion, and it's also immoral for someone to kick that person to death.

would you say these two acts of immorality have an obviously equivilent morality value of "zero, immoral" or would you concede that there exist shades of gray?

And yet you participate in society, etc etc

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Dec 24, 2022

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

I might be wrong, but based on everything I've read and heard from Tesla owners (two live across the street from me) about the cars they just seem like incredibly inconsistent vehicles. Maybe you get one that's reliable for 200k miles, or maybe you get one that's okay but the automatic wipers (why?) gently caress up as often as not, or maybe you get one where the battery blows up while you're driving 80 mph in the middle of Interstate highway traffic. Who knows?!?!?

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Crazy Ted posted:

I might be wrong, but based on everything I've read and heard from Tesla owners (two live across the street from me) about the cars they just seem like incredibly inconsistent vehicles. Maybe you get one that's reliable for 200k miles, or maybe you get the one where the automatic wipers (why?) gently caress up as often as not, or maybe you get one where the battery blows up while you're driving 80 mph in the middle of Interstate highway traffic. Who knows?!?!?

Ah, so applying lootbox principles to automotive sales?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

[consumes air] sigh time to face the guillotine