Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Buffalupdate: lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
My friend from Cheektowaga told me they're not responding to emergency calls anymore

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

a_gelatinous_cube posted:

I got stuck in a blizzard last year driving through Pennsylvania on a two-lane road through the mountains and was stuck behind an SUV that was just pulling 360s every few hundred feet or so like it was trying to no scope in cod and driving just barely fast enough for me to have enough momentum to not get stuck on the uphill sections for about 45 minutes straight, and it was the most terrifying drive of my life. Eventually it 360ed into the opposite lane and I was able to pass it, but I had no idea what the driver was doing because my tiny rear end honda fit was able to navigate just fine.
what does pulling 360s mean

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

It's a more fun story if he's just an incompetent boob with a nature fetish

I mean... he was. He went out there without maps and got stuck when the spring thaw made the rivers intense (which any outdoorsman familiar with mountains should know). If he'd brought the map he would have realized that he stopped short of the crossing by only about half a mile when he briefly tried to find a better crossing).

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

CODChimera posted:

what does pulling 360s mean

It's like pulling 420 but 60 degrees less

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Forseti posted:

I mean... he was. He went out there without maps and got stuck when the spring thaw made the rivers intense (which any outdoorsman familiar with mountains should know). If he'd brought the map he would have realized that he stopped short of the crossing by only about half a mile when he briefly tried to find a better crossing).

Many such cases!

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

https://twitter.com/jammonravager/status/1606579301557882881?s=46&t=SmCEW5hJ8xmLEyE3FotxNw

this thread keeps going and going (much like cars do on icy hills)

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!
Power went out last night and the house is cold as balls. Believe I'll stay in bed today.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Oglethorpe posted:

my thread title made it :kiddo:
it made me laugh so i reported your post for thread title :3:

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

SirPablo posted:

https://twitter.com/kenstradamus/status/1606347995703906304

Haphazardly tying this to GW is a pretty big stretch. The biggest impetus of the BOMB CYCLONE was a really cold surface high (with very high pressure) that moved out of Alaska. This has happened before, will happen again. Get your busses ready.

I think this glosses over the strength of cold air advection from the Arctic.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

holy crap

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

Statistically average buffalo weather

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

is Jeff out there or does he only do hurricanes?

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
If Hell were real the center would be Buffalo

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

Maybe I should give up on seeing Antarctica one day and just settle for Buffalo :hmmyes:
https://twitter.com/bclemms/status/1606670635119288321
https://twitter.com/jeffstone500/status/1606669896947048448

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Platystemon posted:

Many such cases!

:eyepop:

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

A story from same news source:

quote:

Wanted: Anyone with a snowmobile who can assist the stranded

The City of Lackawanna put out a request this morning for volunteers with snowmobiles to assist helping people stranded by the blizzard.

"This need is immediate," the city said in a Facebook post.

And the call was answered.

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

https://twitter.com/alexbrasky/status/1606483619450683392

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

no weck?

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

https://twitter.com/BuffaloSnowKing/status/1606653369891930115

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

I think this glosses over the strength of cold air advection from the Arctic.

That big red blob above the Arctic circle - anytime you get a huge high like that at that latitude, it's gonna send a bunch of cold air south. This event is certainly impressive that such a huge thermal gradient formed and fed this monster low.

Buffalo should not exist.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
AEP asking all Ohioans to cut back on power today

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

I watched the movie buffalo 66 a bit back because of that song from earlier in the year and I kind of got the impression it was always basically like this there

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Seeing two buffalo fans and a folding table in a video thumbnail had me way more hyped than what actually happened

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Spaced God posted:

Seeing two buffalo fans and a folding table in a video thumbnail had me way more hyped than what actually happened

It's a series of videos. In the second one the gently caress on the table, then obviously in the third the wife puts the husband through it.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Buffalo is like the anti-Phoenix

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Can confirm. We've gone from -6oC to +5oC and heavy rain during the last 24 hours and the roads have gone from a driveable (with care) snow over packed ice surface to ball bearings lubricated in greased snot. Let the local flooding begin! :woop:

At least the hummingbird feeders aren't frozen this morning. The Anna's Hummingbirds still look a little puffy though.

Willa Rogers posted:

A story from same news source:

Does this mean I need to quit making fun of my neighbours who own snowmobiles and have to spend time and money to haul them somewhere with snow? They might actually be useful in the near future? Good thing they're so lightly used.

jfk was Buffalo that bad before? Does it need to be added to the Phoenix list of cities that shouldn't exist.

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice

Spaced God posted:

Yeah, someone should be piledriving though that table.

Anyway, greetings from beautiful San Diego where I am eating a breakfast burrito poolside at the hotel. The sky is blue, the sun is warm, the palm trees are waving in the light ocean breeze, and every 5 minutes a navy jet screams by right over head. Truly God's own country.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

SirPablo posted:

Imagine getting stranded in downtown buffalo

difficult to do because ive never been and never intend on going

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

500excf type r posted:

The root cellar was across the street, about 20 yards from the front door, at the base of the fields that were used for farming. The fields are now woods and owned by other people and the root cellar is a destroyed mound of dirt and rocks.

i have a root cellar 6ft from my back door, inside a shed that is like 100 years old. i fantasize about dismantling the shed for all the good old wood its made out of, and putting some decking out there over the cellar, which i'd turn into a 2story greenhouse :allears:

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

buffalo seems like a fine lower cost of living place to live, except for the blizzard hurricanes

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

best thing that goes with a burg is frostbite

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

Also they're in buffalo and not eating a loving garbage plate what absolute fake fans

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
wtf

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
After 30 hours the power came back on and all is well again. I idled the bus for 12 hours or so and used about a quarter tank of fuel to power the stove. Not sure what I would have done without it, really lucky. Definitely need one of those 12v conversions for this stove and make a deep cycle setup for it to be more prepared for the future.

i am harry posted:

i have a root cellar 6ft from my back door, inside a shed that is like 100 years old. i fantasize about dismantling the shed for all the good old wood its made out of, and putting some decking out there over the cellar, which i'd turn into a 2story greenhouse :allears:

This sounds cool as hell

Diamonds On MY Fish
Dec 10, 2008

I WAS BORN THIS WAY

It probably uses IP geolocation for location data, and geolocation databases are notoriously very bad. Places always think I'm 100+ miles south of where I am.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
bills are playing in chicago today so whoever posted it travelled there first

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

They're playing at solider field in Chicago, so it could just be someone there for the game who was sent that video from buffalo?

Efb like the bears

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

https://twitter.com/Tsuj10/status/1606690715714699264