Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It can depend on your location. My Target has been working through the same small stack for like 8 months and has nothing other than Gundam Breaker stuff now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Remember the basics of CQC, Snake!

Waffleman_ posted:

It can depend on your location. My Target has been working through the same small stack for like 8 months and has nothing other than Gundam Breaker stuff now.

Mine normally has a bunch of Strike Freedom, Heavyarms, and Blazing Gundam, but I did snag an inverted red frame Astray a couple weeks ago!

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

Just finished my 4th model. Another HG. This poo poo is like crack. Doing the MG my girl got me for Christmas next.

Please excuse the awful lines. I think I'll redo the lines and spray it with the topcoat gloss I picked up.

Edit: I'm going to start including the name of the set so I can keep track of this poo poo by searching for old posts.

#4 - AMX-003 GAZA C - Axis Mass Productive Transformable Mobile Suit - 0141907

IG-88 fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Dec 24, 2022

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
so... this means Zeeks are pro Palestine, right?

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

War and Pieces posted:

so... this means Zeeks are pro Palestine, right?

Just seems like a bunch of earthenoids to me.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

GreenBuckanneer posted:

If you guys get gundams for Xmas you're required to post them. Them's the rules.
I gifted the entry grade rx-78 to my little nephew so we'll see how that will work out :kiddo:

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

IG-88 posted:

#4 - AMX-003 GAZA C - Axis Mass Productive Transformable Mobile Suit - 0141907

What a fun kit!

Bought mine accidentally when the Witch from Mercury kits were first rolling out at my local hobby store.

“Purple and curvy, must be the grunt suit to go with the Beguir-Beu, better lock this order in before they run out!”

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Finally managed to secure a RG Sazabi for under £100. My plan is to get some cheap HGs to practise my panelling, decals and topcoats on before I so much as crack the box. Are there any decent HG suits that meet those requirements? The Leo is like £15 so probably one of those. (Sell me on your favourite HGs).

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Any and all of the Origin gunpla kits are filthy with panel lining opportunities.

occluded
Oct 31, 2012

Sandals: Become the means to create A JUST SOCIETY

Fun Shoe

Holy poo poo my partner is the best. Have held off on the Eva kits because I wanted to get one of the non-standard ones at some point, I.e. this one!

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

Pierson posted:

Finally managed to secure a RG Sazabi for under £100. My plan is to get some cheap HGs to practise my panelling, decals and topcoats on before I so much as crack the box. Are there any decent HG suits that meet those requirements? The Leo is like £15 so probably one of those. (Sell me on your favourite HGs).

Just got MG Sazabi for $100, but I have a feeling he's so big I'm going to need a new Detolf!

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

As someone with both the RG and the MG ver ka Sazabis they're a lot bigger than you would think which is saying something.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Sazabig

free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

*~:coffeepal:~*
I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

*~:h:~*

Pierson posted:

I'm fairly new but personally it seems like most recent kits aren't lacking for practice opportunities there. The only HG I've built so far I wouldn't recommend for that would be the HGUC Z'Gok - a fairly old one I think, and just too many big round shapes for good panel lining practice, although it's a very fun build, typically cheap, and might be easy for topcoats.

I enjoyed the IBO Sigrun a lot, it's basically just purple but has a nice variety of shapes to try panel lining on. The IBO Hugo also seems to be... unpopular, so you might be able to get it cheap; it's kinda cool IMO, has more 'standard' colors to work with and nice flat surfaces. One tragically large sticker in a central location, unfortunately, but eh.

I also liked the Wodom Pod a lot, big broad shapes and lots of space in the design, but still can't figure out what to do with the big black 'cap' part personally. Might be an interesting challenge! I'm gonna do my first decals on that one myself, see how it goes. (Especially because immediately after building it I was like "I totally want to build another one of these...")

I'd also like to hear any further suggestions, especially about more... 'normal' kits, for lack of a better word. Origin ones sound great so far...

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Speaking of really big, red suits, my wife presented me with a RE/100 Nightingale today! She remembered me mentioning it when I got the Hi Nu ver.Ka for my birthday early this year and found one somewhere.

I also got a Graze, some scribing stuff, bits for my pin vise, some mini files, and a little paint shaker/mixer thing so I don't have to sit and shake up paints for half my life.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sazabigzam

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

I haven’t watched any Witch from Mercury but it’s what the hobby shop employee sold my wife when she went in and asked for a Gundam for me. I’m going to use it as an excuse to finally get some paint pens since it looks like there’s a lot of details missing from the unpainted pieces.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010
Witch from Mercury is neat and I'm much more interested in the Aerial than I was before I watched it

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Built my Reincar. Pretty nice build! After messing around with posing it the joints finally started being easier to adjust but now the torso > pelvis connector easily gets lose. How do you reinforce a joint that loosens up too quickly? add a bit of tape or something?

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Mindblast posted:

Built my Reincar. Pretty nice build! After messing around with posing it the joints finally started being easier to adjust but now the torso > pelvis connector easily gets lose. How do you reinforce a joint that loosens up too quickly? add a bit of tape or something?

Some people use a bit of paint, I like to use clear nail polish

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

just got my RG RX-93 and Zeong

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

I'm still waiting on the Zeong with effects parts from BBTS, will.i ever get it?

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Out of 30+ preorders I placed with BBTS at this time last year, I've had three of them filled. So, probably not.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I found a store near my job that sells a lot of anime merch. They have a small supply of gunpla kits so I bit the bullet and bought one today with my Christmas money with some help from people on discord. I bought the EG RX-78-2 Full Weapons kit. It was a lot of fun putting it together! My biggest problem was putting the legs on the waist. I don't know if it's just kinda jank or if I was doing something wrong but I found it hard to get the legs on without causing the back plate on the waist to pop off. I did eventually get it on fine though. I'm saving the rest of the weapons for tomorrow (even though they're incredibly simple, I just need to get to bed for work) but I at least gave it its beam rifle and shield.

The store had two more EG kits, the snow colored RX-78-2 and the Strike Rouge in the round boxes with the corn snacks, so after I get paid I'll probably pick those two up on Friday. Then I'll move onto the HG stuff.

But I look forward to having yet another hobby to take all my money.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

War and Pieces posted:

I'm still waiting on the Zeong with effects parts from BBTS, will.i ever get it?

Did your phone get real excited thinking that you were talking about will.i.am?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Still have to put stickers on the side and back but I'm pretty satisfied

Queadlunn
Dec 10, 2005

Yak Deculture!
Fallen Rib

Got a big bag of stuff from local hobby shops to entertain family with, going to visit for a few days. I tried to get some for all skill levels, should be fun to do with everyone! I think I'll claim the Hi-Nu for myself so it doesn't get chuckled through the window in frustration.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I started the RG God Gundam today. I finished both of the 2x parts and the right leg.

Goddamn this kit is a lot of work, but drat if the engineering isn't beautiful. If it holds up to posing, my RG Rx-78-2 is going in the trash, because gently caress that piece of shite.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I think I have a problem.

The round ones came with snacks.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

You're okay, just finish those before you get more.:kheldragar:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Get more, got it.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Midjack posted:

You're okay, just finish those before you get more.:kheldragar:

I have a sixth one coming in the mail soon.

But after that I have to wait at least two weeks before I can buy more. I mean, I gotta eat.

...or do I...?

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

Queadlunn posted:

Got a big bag of stuff from local hobby shops to entertain family with, going to visit for a few days. I tried to get some for all skill levels, should be fun to do with everyone! I think I'll claim the Hi-Nu for myself so it doesn't get chuckled through the window in frustration.

qubeley :swoon: that was one of my first kits, and it's still my favorite. it's just such a rad design.

the hi-nu is a lotta fun, i hope you enjoy it!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I have not gotten any gunpla yet (I'm still waiting on my stepbrothers' gifts) but my dad did get me a nice knife and cutting mat.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

getting my gundam markers tommorow anything i should know?

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Stairmaster posted:

getting my gundam markers tommorow anything i should know?

shake. A lot. if you think you're done, shake it some more. Give the paint time to get to the tip. It takes a good amount of writing before the ~good~ dyes reach the tip. You can also make a puddle in a bottle cap, or on wax paper, and use the paint with brushes.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
On the topic of markers do you have any advice for the sumi-ire panelling ones? My understanding is I want to dab every so often, let capillary action handle the rest, and then clean off the extra with rubbing alcohol-soaked cotton. Do I have that about right?

My own haul for xmas has been a HG Barbatos Lupus Rex, HG Sinanju Stein and RG Sinanju, as well as a bunch of craft stuff. Got a pre-order in for a HG Turn-A, RG Mk.II and MG Nu Ver. Ka. Just having the Nu in the house is gonna encourage me to get better, it looks like an incredible kit.

Pierson fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Dec 30, 2022

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I use a rubber eraser myself, but yeah, basically.

Become addicted to when you get a really good dab and it just goes aaaaaaall the way.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Pierson posted:

On the topic of markers do you have any advice for the sumi-ire panelling ones? My understanding is I want to dab every so often, let capillary action handle the rest, and then clean off the extra with rubbing alcohol-soaked cotton. Do I have that about right?

My own haul for xmas has been a HG Barbatos Lupus Rex, HG Sinanju Stein and RG Sinanju, as well as a bunch of craft stuff. Got a pre-order in for a HG Turn-A, RG Mk.II and MG Nu Ver. Ka. Just having the Nu in the house is gonna encourage me to get better, it looks like an incredible kit.

The pour type markers are "dab in seams, let cure..." They're alcahol based... I find soaked, or even damp swabs to agressive for removing the excess. I typically just rub hard with a cotton swab, or even my finger. Do the lining before decals. .. I screwed up on my RG Nu by not getting that order right. The RG Mk II is.. a challenge. (I decaled mine while at the airport, and on a plane a few weeks ago... ) You'll need to tell us about the RG sinanju. I have it next to my chair in the living room waiting to be built. And I have the gloss injection coming from P-Bandai.. so I may just wait for that.

"Why on an airplane?" Well..... Waiting at airports is dull. And the tools for this hobby are TSA acceptable. Seemed like a good thing to do. I setup my phone with some videos, broke out the manual and started decaling my RG Mk II. Being a rude nerd, I had my bags both on the bench, and a nice lady came up and asked if she could use the outlet I was near. Obviously I obliged.. offered my fancy power brick, etc... After a bit, she asked about what I was working on. She said she used to make models when she was a kid, and her son might be interested. I showed her an unassembled RG exia, and we talked about where to get them. I believe her son is getting some gunpla for christmas.

... and I finished RG MK II on the flight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

This Strike Gundam is a giant step in difficulty from the RX-78-2. Lots of small parts. It's difficult for my sausage fingers to deal with them.

Also the Gundam Seed flavored corn snacks taste extremely like corn.

On another note I realized I didn't post any pictures of my very first build here so I will post a couple. My greatest flaw in life is that I am incredibly uncreative, and as such I'm bad at poses.

Plus I'm limited in that I don't have the action base or whatever it's called.

It doesn't help that the javelin seems just a tiny bit too long to do the throw pose properly.