Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Not a defence of Bladdybub and his weaponised :airquote: antisemitism :airquote:, selective racism [denial] and all the eyerolling rest ad loving extreme nauseam, but that's clearly an ironic self-deprecating joke, marvelling to himself and joshing with a showbiz chum at how crap he is. It's not the bubble popping. He already knows.

We don't kick Vicky for the bike-riding thing. Point is, we also don't kick penguins for their inability to fly, cos they're good at what they are supposed to do.

Bluddyburp isn't good at what he's supposed to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Mulltti-legged catte taxxe

franco
Jan 3, 2003

Mugsbaloney posted:

Angostura is fine, it adds a nice dimension to an old fashioned, don't know what else you'd do with it though. Probably don't shot it.

And essential for a Manhattan!

Skulker
Jan 27, 2021

Duuuuuude!

Only Kindness posted:

Bladdybub

Bluddyburp

What is this?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Skulker posted:

What is this?

A stroke

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Only Kindness posted:

Not a defence of Bladdybub and his weaponised :airquote: antisemitism :airquote:, selective racism [denial] and all the eyerolling rest ad loving extreme nauseam, but that's clearly an ironic self-deprecating joke, marvelling to himself and joshing with a showbiz chum at how crap he is. It's not the bubble popping. He already knows.

We don't kick Vicky for the bike-riding thing. Point is, we also don't kick penguins for their inability to fly, cos they're good at what they are supposed to do.

Bluddyburp isn't good at what he's supposed to do.

Let's not just make fun of someone's non-Anglo name, eh?

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

If you needed more reasons to hate this talentless hack of a country

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
As bad as baddiel is in most contexts he was genuinely entertaining on taskmaster in the same way its fun watching a westling heel get bodyslammed. The task were he was asked to write a song was amazing, he proudly boasted about his chart topping footy song then hashed out some poo poo in ten minutes that saw him take last place.

His team tasks with Jo Brand were top tier too, a great double act of 'doesn't understand' and 'doesn't give a poo poo'.

Incidentally corren mitchel had similar heel energy imo, i can't ride a bike either tbf but her smarmy poo poo wordplay getting the reception it deserved was funny as hell.

The only reason i'm looking forward to the next series despite the lineup is that you get to see these people outside of their usual carefully created contexts. And sometimes that means you see a poo poo revealed to be a lot less clever than they present themselves and sometimes its like when that guy from the Chase also revealed themselves to be like actually really funny and charming at being crap when the gameshow format i'd seen him in previously made him out to be a tiresome poo poo.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016

Skulker posted:

What is this?

Early on in his career, Baddiel did a routine where he lamented that no-one could get his name right, calling him things like Bladdybub and Bluddyburp.

Just keeping up a grand comedy tradition on non-comedy webzone somethingohgodimtooold.com.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016

HopperUK posted:

Let's not just make fun of someone's non-Anglo name, eh?

Only Kindness posted:

Early on in his career, Baddiel did a routine where he lamented that no-one could get his name right, calling him things like Bladdybub and Bluddyburp.

I'm fine with it, thanks.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Diet Crack posted:

Between that grifter and the Trussell Trust, only around 10% of that money actually goes to foodbanks.

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMFWcMRXa/

E: I loving knew the embed wouldn't work properly. If you get a welsh guy going "whoo" you've got the right video.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Dec 24, 2022

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Only Kindness posted:

Just keeping up a grand comedy tradition on non-comedy webzone somethingohgodimtooold.com.
I think your error was assuming anyone here would willingly expose themselves to Baddiel's standup routines.

I've had people have trouble with my surname even though it's literally a common noun and a type of bean* before but i really struggle to see how anyone would mispronounce 'diel' as 'bub' or 'burp'. Did he change his name or is the joke just poo poo?

*yes i've doxed myself my surname is 'upthebackside' ofc.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
I suspect Mr Baddiel was exaggerating the situation for comic effect, thirty years ago.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I've heard a few people pronounce it like "Baddy Ell," but I remember that sketch (:corsair:) and yeah, the convoluted wrong versions don't sound like a mistake any normal human would make.

franco
Jan 3, 2003
We should refer to Baddiel by his genuine middle name "Lionel" as I have a feeling it would really annoy him.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
https://twitter.com/RosieisaHolt/status/1606034107879903234

Satire. She's not an MP but with tips like this she should be in the Cabinet.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Between that grifter and the Trussell Trust, only around 10% of that money actually goes to foodbanks.

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMFWcMRXa/

E: I loving knew the embed wouldn't work properly. If you get a welsh guy going "whoo" you've got the right video.

I was curious about what he said in the Tiktok about the Trussel Trust so I popped open their legally required annual report and skipped the usual arse-fluffing pages to get to the financials

Looks like they're not exactly struggling for money?

Although they were 'only' with £10mn spare for 2020.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Last year of working with charities has convinced me that the moment you find out the charity has a "financial officer" that's it, walk the gently caress away. That's your shark jumping moment right there.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I already regret mentioning the cursed man's name :(

On a different note, I found a box full of old videogame manuals in my parents' attic (mostly PC and NES)— is there a specific collector's site or anything I should use to give them to somebody who'll value them? Somebody on the Discord already mentioned checking if they're on the internet archive which I'll do first.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

learnincurve posted:

Last year of working with charities has convinced me that the moment you find out the charity has a "financial officer" that's it, walk the gently caress away. That's your shark jumping moment right there.

Eh, my aunt asked me to check out a charity she donates to in Australia and their financial reports looked a lot less suspicious - income roughly matched expenditure and they didn't have loving stock investments like Trussell apparently does.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

TACD posted:

On a different note, I found a box full of old videogame manuals in my parents' attic (mostly PC and NES)— is there a specific collector's site or anything I should use to give them to somebody who'll value them? Somebody on the Discord already mentioned checking if they're on the internet archive which I'll do first.

Could be, boxes of games from the 80s can go for a lock of quid each. Instruction manuals are rarer so may be worth a few quid. Havent a clue where to start though sorry.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

learnincurve posted:

Depends what the job includes. I'm financial officer for the charity I work for reconciling bank accounts, reconciling international donations, authorising payouts to our partner projects (which is what the charity was set up for), doing gift aid claims, checking paperwork for gift aid is in order in case HMRC send the stormtroopers in, doing the spreadsheets etc. (It's about 10hr per week of my time. Rem of my hours is admin). I'm paid pro rata of FTE £24k.
We have a qualified accountant for the formal reporting to charities commission but she is a trustee and is paid zero.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I don't think I mentioned this but my disabled son got robbed by the charity "FairPlay" this year and I'm just going to flat out post what they did because gently caress them.

The social services framework is unicorn dust for charities doing day groups, charities on the list have to be inspected, follow strict guidelines including "be affordable for all". It is the list of all the groups a local council will pay for on a purchase order (contract) no questions asked, no paperwork, you call the social worker and they do all the work and handle all the money.

With the purchase order, which is what most people with a learning disability who live with family members have, how it works is a social worker goes to a local area panel asking for X hours at £ and they say yes. You have to pay 1/3 or £148 whichever is less out of your disability benefits per month, social services cover the rest.

Direct payment is where the person is given a personal budget which is always handled by someone else, it cannot be a family member you live with. There are companies who will look after your finances but will charge you a fee to do it. If the person is using a personal budget for day groups the 1/3 or £148 is deducted. Direct payment is a scam, you are allowed to claim £500 a year in gifts from social services for the person running your account. So if you use a company not only do you have to pay a fee to them they get a £500 bonus - for something that, for the vast majority of people, could have been done by the county council for free on a purchase order.

I get this letter on the Saturday. Note the companies willing to do a talk.

On the Monday morning I have to warn them that he is going to talk about going to a different group because we won't be switching to a personal budget. I go to pick him off and there is this posh twat calling himself a "chief financial officer" waiting for me. He was looking out the window and came steaming out, they wouldn't get my son until he had spoken to me. He then spend 10 mins bullying me, now I'm a hardass in real life and this was a solid wall of harassment even for me. He simply wouldn't take no for an answer and kept on pushing these companies at me. My lad saw me out the window and pushed his way out. Last time we went near the place.

Next day I find new group and call social worker who is apologetic, agreed with me and said he was talking poo poo when he said I was the only one who would have problem with switching, especially since the group no longer had any oversight or budget cap. She says it's 2 weeks notice but she will try and get them down to a week. Oh no. The contract they have with social services means they need 4 weeks notice. So now I have to pay £148 and the £90 in fees to the new group because you can only have one active purchase order at a time.

These people are a scam. The building is given to them by social services, they are staffed by volunteers and yet they charge £1-10 a day in extras on top of the £64 per day they get from the service user. Then there is charity walks, national lottery grants and on and on. Where the gently caress is all that money going to? Because there is no way £64 was spent on my lad.

Do not use FairPlay or anyone connected to it. Cunts.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Workers over 50 encouraged to end early retirement

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-64083802

quote:

The government is considering plans to coax retired middle-aged workers back into jobs to boost the economy.

Older people who have given up work could be offered what is being dubbed a "midlife MoT" to entice them back into employment, the Times reports.

The paper says the MoT would assess finances and opportunities for work.

It follows a recent House of Lords committee finding that a wave of early retirement following the pandemic has caused a huge labour shortage.

The report by the influential economic affairs committee examined the jump in economic inactivity - the number of people not in work or looking for work - and rising vacancies since 2020.

Economic inactivity has increased by 565,000 people since the start of the pandemic, according to the analysis.

The report highlighted retirement, increased sickness, changes to migration and the UK's aging population all contributed to the current tightness in the labour market.

Dear boomers please get back in the labour market to force wages down please :(

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

happyhippy posted:

Could be, boxes of games from the 80s can go for a lock of quid each. Instruction manuals are rarer so may be worth a few quid. Havent a clue where to start though sorry.
Oh I phrased that poorly, oops. I want to give them away rather than stick them in the recycling, but I'd rather give them to somebody who really wants them instead of a generic charity shop.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Seems like the wrong solution to the wrong problem to me.

The government, pictured earlier today, wondering why no-one's in work, young people don't want to work for poo poo wages, and people don't want to start families:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Microplastics posted:

If my old job offers me £700 per week after tax i shall indeed return... for 3-5 years then retire again. :razzy:

Now im taking a Nytol and zoning out for the next 14hrs.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I am currently doing papercraft which i am bad at and it is hindered by the fact that I do not have a guillotine.

E: either the paper variety or the revolutionary variety, the latter would provide emotional support.

I also don't have a press but that at least has been replaced with a book and a sewing machine.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Dec 24, 2022

thrashingteeth
Dec 22, 2019

depressive hedonia
always tired
taco tuesday
I hope you guys enjoy this unhinged tinfoil hat moment from the Weetman this Christmas Eve.

https://twitter.com/francesweetman/status/1606638759373549568

I'm sorry.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

All else aside... how does the party switch work?

Like, 90% of labour would still need to want to vote for that, and the SNP can vote for it regardless of whether they are SNP or LAB.

Does she think that switching to labour magically moves their seats into england???

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Francis Weetman
@francesweetman

:thunk: Is she doing a "thing" here?

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Don't post Weetman please.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Only Kindness posted:

Francis Weetman
@francesweetman

:thunk: Is she doing a "thing" here?

Yes, she's pretending to identify as male because she's a loving TERF.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Diet Crack posted:

Eh, I'm convinced this kinda stuff is fixed. Even if something like gently caress the Tories was more popular, an exec with the final call on things would just push the button for "feel good pleb win" to push out whatever they felt was politically appropriate for the number 1.

I mean, who's gonna verify the numbers aren't made up.

Speaking of potentialities fixed. Watching these Christmas episodes of Bargain hunt (and that both teams actually won) have just made me realise how they're edited.

The contestants, the auctioneer, the actual products being auctioned, the audience and the online bidding system never seem to be shown in the same shot together.

They could (and maybe are) just makong it up as they go along.

There's not even a post catchup with the bidder who bought any of the tat they're trying to flog.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

OwlFancier posted:

Does she think...

As has been thoroughly established, emphatically no.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Microplastics posted:

My hope is that this forces retirees back into work where they suddenly encounter material conditions and realise hang on, things are poo poo now, and then we get Jaeluni to radicalise them.

Because if someone retired and has even a five minute gap on their CV, they're sure as poo poo not stepping back into their cushy management role; they're coming in at ground floor and getting screamed at by some wanker with a management degree and no people skills because their burger-per-minute rate isn't as high as the AI says it should be.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I suspect that will be blamed on kids these days.

Or just more likely as ever, people who think like that will not have their letters published in the papers or invited to talk at length on TV, because there must always be A Balanced View so even if 90% of the country were living a poo poo life they would find some bellend who is doing absolutely fine to make sure we don't give the impression there is an actual right answer.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Dec 24, 2022

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/GregHands/status/1606580838342176769

It could be worth UP TO £200,000 PER YEAR! :toot:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Could be worth less than an entire medium sized asda.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
1.25 Prime Ministers.