Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Nah use something like vanta black so it looks otherworldly and freaky. So black it goes beyond blackface and veers into "something is obviously wrong with these guys." Almost warptouched absorbing all light.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
this sort of thing is not predicated on good faith on any side. just pretend they don't exist and go with the celestial lions imo

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Again 'No, no, it's not doing Blackface. It's doing a Superblack........face.'

You can change it up for scaled skin, or a different colour as others have suggested but in TYOOL 2022 no mainstream white actor is getting made-up in anything that's remotely Black, Vanta or otherwise.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Just cast black actors guys holy poo poo :psyduck:

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Cavill actually plays Dante, who's on loan from the Blood Angels in a marine exchange program.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

FPyat posted:

Was The Lost and Damned totally forgettable or did you avoid reading it?

I, noted contrarian opinion haver, thought it was :krad: and definitely worth reading, for the opening describing the initial landings if nothing else. Although I will fight any Katsuhiro-haters.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
I'm exceedingly fond of Guy Haley so I have high expectations for it.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
Just make the show about a bunch of Deathwatch then you can have full representation.

Then show what the Imperium is about by going around stomping on Eldar babies.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
exactly. spess mehrines will inevitably be deathwatch, normal peeps will almost certainly be an inquisitorial retinue

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Telsa Cola posted:

Just cast black actors guys holy poo poo :psyduck:

Well obviously that's the only way to do Salamanders . But the question was, could you do the canonical look with an ethnically diverse cast, to which the answer is no.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Ignore the canon then.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Fine by me.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Demiurge4 posted:

Cavill actually plays Dante, who's on loan from the Blood Angels in a marine exchange program.

Poor Little Dante

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

I thought there was some weird thing with the gene seed where salamanders had actually black (not merely heavy on melanin) skin tone and red eyes. Which now that I type it sounds dangerously close to some horrifically racist Rastafarian type commentary but I meant actual Photoshop palette black/red combo.

I feel like that would be enough to make it clear this is not simple black face but I also agree the more sensible approach is just cast appropriate ethnicity actors. I don't know what the politics of making any of them darker in skin tone might be it lightening up any blood angel actors.

ed balls balls man
Apr 17, 2006
I enjoyed Lost and the Damned. I can't remember that much of it though. Wasn't there an alpha legion operative or two? Did that go anywhere? Think they popped in another but again can't remember details.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
The look of the Salamanders are one of those things that works in the books but I doubt it will translate very well to a visual medium. It would probably be easier to make them regular black guys that only recruit from Nocture. Just make everyone one Nocture black because of the sun's radiation or whatever.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Hire black actors and make them do even blacker face. Brilliant!

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
as mentioned, thats literal minstrelsy and will have your entrails spread through the dirt for great casus belli

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

bob dobbs is dead posted:

as mentioned, thats literal minstrelsy and will have your entrails spread through the dirt for great casus belli

Casus Belli is a warlord titan right?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

bob dobbs is dead posted:

Just gotta make it so racially insensitive that it causes a racism overflow and resets back to 0 racism. It's foolproof!

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Demiurge4 posted:

Cavill plays Dante and judgement cuts a bloodthirster in half

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Noblesse Obliged posted:

Casus Belli is a warlord titan right?

imperator

https://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Cassus_Belli

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Chemtrailologist posted:

The look of the Salamanders are one of those things that works in the books but I doubt it will translate very well to a visual medium. It would probably be easier to make them regular black guys that only recruit from Nocture. Just make everyone one Nocture black because of the sun's radiation or whatever.

This literally is already the case. Salamanders only recruit from Nocturne, in a major part due to the whole family/human/cultural attachment and everyone on Nocturne is already hella dark because of radiation. It's the combination of the geneseed flaw and the recruiting of the already dark population that makes them extra dark.

And it's not a 100% now everyone is super dark. They just get darker then they were when they were human.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Dec 23, 2022

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
I'm going to paint my space mans in different skin colours, they're all in slightly different amounts of shade

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

That's it y'all, I'm going to w white face a salamander squad and paint some black blood angels and see which causes who to lose their poo poo.

Also considering the custodes are hand crafted genetic creations I think it goes a long way to confirming the Emperor as an incel weirdo because there's no really plausible reason they're all dudes.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

MrNemo posted:

That's it y'all, I'm going to w white face a salamander squad and paint some black blood angels and see which causes who to lose their poo poo.

Also considering the custodes are hand crafted genetic creations I think it goes a long way to confirming the Emperor as an incel weirdo because there's no really plausible reason they're all dudes.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Men will literally build a galatic imperium instead of coming out of the closet

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
The only thing Custodes build are sculpted abs and firm buttocks.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

This but with the son and his muscle squad from Righteous Gemstones

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007
I vote for ignoring the space marine skin color stuff and making every chapter multi-racial because dealing with skin color and contemporary racism will be a disaster no matter what is done.

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional
edit: whoops

orphean fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Dec 24, 2022

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional

D-Pad posted:

This but with the son and his muscle squad from Righteous Gemstones

"Emperor, I need a word with you about your muscle boys..."

"They're muscle MEN, Malcador!"

Edit:

lonelylikezoidberg posted:

I vote for ignoring the space marine skin color stuff and making every chapter multi-racial because dealing with skin color and contemporary racism will be a disaster no matter what is done.

Does these mean we can have Denzel Washington play Guillimen just to really twist the ArchWarhammer screws?

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Casting a black actor as Gaunt could be amazing.

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007
gently caress yeah. Denzel Washington is Guillimane, Jackie Chan is Rogal Dorn, John Leguzamo is Russ.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

lonelylikezoidberg posted:

gently caress yeah. Denzel Washington is Guillimane, Jackie Chan is Rogal Dorn, John Leguzamo is Russ.

I just want Matthew McConaughey to play Sanguinius so the black rage just manifests as the marines hearing "alright alright alright" over and over again

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

MrNemo posted:

black blood Angels with blonde hair and eyebrows would be a sick look

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Makes sense too. Baal is a radioactive hellhole and mostly desert. It’s just Sanguinius who’s the pale white dude.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Casting Cavill as Horus, shooting the first 3 books of the Heresy and going from there would be a nice opening. Give him Commodus from Gladiator as inspiration for the downward spiral would be pretty nice. Those 3 books are suitably epic and would introduce Cavill with a bang. If I was in that space, I'd be incredibly tempted to double-dip on all the work black library has been engaged in and use all of the Horus Heresy books and internal notes as inspiration for a multi-season GoT-esque telling of the Horus Heresy. It's very in reference for their writers and lore team and some of the biggest black library names (Abnett) have a background working with movies. God knows theres enough material to make it as fluffy as they want.

You could also use him to anchor wherever the 40K lore is going. Maybe he's Valdor in Pandemonium or Roboute in the Indomitus Crusade. I'm sure they could arrange the next hottest model to appear along side him.

I think an American Horror Story style anthology series would be really interesting as well and might provide data to help them make a good decision about where to go next.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
So I got the blood angels codex for Christmas and I was wanting to dive into their lore more, are there any good novels/audiobooks out there for them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Elblanco posted:

So I got the blood angels codex for Christmas and I was wanting to dive into their lore more, are there any good novels/audiobooks out there for them?

Dante, Devastation of Baal, Darkness In The Blood

Guy Haley's trilogy is really cool honestly, and a good read that walks you through the transformative events of the new era of 40k from their perspective.