Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

ascii genitals posted:

Speaking of Penzey's vanilla I was playing around at work yesterday and analyzed Penzey's double vanilla against some vanilla extract I made. I stuck a bunch of sliced beans into everclear that I diluted down to 50% ethanol. It has been sitting in a dark cabinet for a year and I shake it every month or so.

The Penzey's stuff definitely has some extra volatile (smell/taste contributing) compounds but the amount of vanillin is pretty similar between homemade and the good poo poo.
:five:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Pope Corky the IX posted:

At the time, no. Tried to bring it up a few years later and he denied it ever happened. And then he asked her out a month after she and I separated.

Okay, and did she say yes?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
As far as I know she turned him down. This was around the time I went no contact with my family.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Yeah, that’s fair.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Vinny Possum posted:

I need to fix what I caused from “divorce prank”

Acid Bath for the sister. I feel terrible that this poor woman thinks this is her fault.

Obviously the solution here is for the husband to tell the family she did kill herself, then reveal the prank at the funeral

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Vinny Possum posted:

Acid Bath for the sister. I feel terrible that this poor woman thinks this is her fault.

'My husband cut both my legs off as a prank and now he's angry I don't do as much housework, how do I stop being such an rear end in a top hat'

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
AITA for wanting to bring my cat back into my house after wife's late stillbirth?

quote:

My wife and I were expecting a child in October. We are in our early 30's and have been trying for a child for some time - due to character limits I won't get into details, but it has been difficult.

In February, we discovered that she was pregnant! Obviously, we were over the moon with joy. We began to prepare - we did everything you could possibly do to get ready. We planned a baby shower and sent out invitations, we prepared a beautiful room with a custom-made crib by my father in law (who is a very talented woodworker), and we were extremely thorough in baby-proofing our home.

During the baby-proofing, my wife started to suggest that we "get rid of" my cat, Bubba, who is 12 years old and I've had since he was a kitten. I got him in college, I adopted him and each of my two sisters adopted another kitten from the same litter. Bubba is extremely affectionate to me - so sweet and cuddly. He tolerates my wife, but is not affectionate towards her. To strangers, he is not nice. He has never bitten or scratched anyone, but he does a lot of hissing and yowling at people he is unfamiliar with. My wife was afraid that he'd scare the baby, he wouldn't be welcoming to a newborn, or that he'd hurt her. I argued gently, but eventually acquiesced. In her 28th week of pregnancy, we sent him to live with my parents.

He was not happy there. My parents said he cried all day and walked around meowing 24 hours a day, looking for me.

Tragically, my wife and I lost our child just weeks before she was due. We still don't have a lot of answers, and it's painful to get into.

We mourned. We were inconsolable for weeks. I still cannot think about it without feeling complete agony and loss. After a month, we returned to some level of normalcy - as normal as things could be, anyway. We've started to explore adoption.

Last week, I told my wife I was going to pick up Bubba to bring him back home.

She exploded. She said that under no circumstances would she allow him back in our house, and that I had agreed to have him live with my parents. I missed him. He's been my best friend for years, he's been my loyal companion my entire adult life. She told me that I could pretty much choose between her or Bubba. I told her that obviously I would choose her, it's not even a question, but that I didn't understand her reasoning and I felt she was being cruel. She'd lived with Bubba for 10 years, and there had never been any problem. The adoption process can take eight to twelve months on average, and I'd like to spend that time having Bubba around.

We haven't spoken about it since. This is the first fight we've had. Am I being unreasonable/the rear end in a top hat in wanting my cat back?

I don't understand the "cat might be mean to baby" poo poo. It depends on the cat!

One of my high school friends called me some years ago, all pissed, because she had decided to take her cat to the pound; she was pregnant with twins and knew the cat would hate babies around. Maybe she was right, but the cat was a old black ball of fluff, and the pound lady who received him had told her straight up he would be put down, because black cats have a hard time getting adopted even as kittens, and this one was old, had some health issues, and was clearly stressed out/angry. "I knew it was possible but I didn't need to hear it!"

AITA for telling my parents they still don’t have a biological grandchild?

quote:

I have 3 adopted children, and my parents have so far been good grandparents to them. They’ve never mentioned to me or my husband, or to the kids, anything about having a problem that I adopted instead of having biological children.

My brother and his wife have a 3 month old son, who was conceived with a sperm donor. I know this because my brother’s wife talked about it with me, but my parents were not aware. They treated my nephew the same as they treated my kids when they were babies, so I’ve never been concerned that my kids would be seen as lesser because they’re adopted while my nephew was supposedly their biological grandchild.

Which is why I was so surprised and confused that my parents have been talking about how excited they are to have their first Christmas with their biological grandchild, and that they did a big expensive holiday photoshoot with my brother, his wife, and his son, something they’ve never done with my kids (they were the ones who suggested it to my brother, it’s not like it’s just because he asked and I didn’t).

The weirdest part was that they casually mentioned some of the things they bought for my nephew for Christmas, as far as I can tell they’re spending more on him than they are for my three kids combined, and it’s far more than what they spent even when my oldest was a baby. In fact, when my kids were little they used to say there was no point buying expensive things for babies for Christmases or birthdays because they wouldn’t remember it, and they’d rather spend the money when they’re a little older.

So my nephew is suddenly being favored over my kids, at the same time my parents are starting to emphasize the fact that, as far as they know, my nephew is their biological grandchild. I pointed this out to them and said it bothers me, they denied treating them differently, they said I was being weird about money (I truly don’t care about the money, I care about the difference in treatment and that my kids might notice how little they’re getting from my parents compared to their cousin).

And now for the part I’m starting to feel awful about : I told them the truth about my nephew. My parents are furious at my brother for not telling them and thanked me for telling the truth. They keep saying he tricked them and gave them false hope about having a biological grandchild, which I guess answers the question on whether biology actually mattered to them. My husband says I did the right thing because it removed all the lies and secrets, and if they didn’t care it wouldn’t matter but if they did care they deserved to know. My brother says it wasn’t my secret to tell and I jeopardized his son’s relationship with our parents.

Cowslips Warren fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Dec 24, 2022

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Foo Diddley posted:

AITA for calling the cop on my MIL after she "hid" the xmas presents I bought for my sons?

i'm just hiding your PS5 at the pawn shop, that's all

I'm just confused on how the cops cared at all, if the husband gave his mum all the stuff? Or maybe the mother has the keys to the locked room in the back, which is explicit consent to access its contents? I'm really ignorant on this stuff and I can't even find answers to how it works in my own local laws.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for wanting to bring my cat back into my house after wife's late stillbirth?

I don't understand the "cat might be mean to baby" poo poo. It depends on the cat!

The cat thing is probably an overbearing first time mother.

But toxoplasmosis may contribute to miscarriages, OP's wife is probably looking for external causes for what happened and needs therapy.

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!

Pope Corky the IX posted:

As far as I know she turned him down. This was around the time I went no contact with my family.

I would pay 80 dollars for a book on your hosed up family life. I mean this in the nicest way possible and I want to give you a hug the more I think about half the poo poo you've told us.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Serephina posted:

I'm just confused on how the cops cared at all, if the husband gave his mum all the stuff? Or maybe the mother has the keys to the locked room in the back, which is explicit consent to access its contents? I'm really ignorant on this stuff and I can't even find answers to how it works in my own local laws.

generally you can't take things that don't belong to you

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Serephina posted:

Maybe they have separate finances and the OP proved they were things she bought with the receipts.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Cops love to arrest people

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

The cops in my area wouldn't even show up for something like that.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Serephina posted:

OP posted:

Im sorry that cops where I live doesn't act like the cops in your city. Where I live, if items are reported stolen, and I have the evidence that I bought them with my own money, and then the cops arrive to a place, and they find the exact same items, the person hiding the items is caught red handed. I'm sorry that cops where you live look at an obvious case of theft and say "Well, not our job, we gotta move on" And no, I still don't know where the console is, that is what the cops are trying to find out.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
If there is a hint of melanin in the mom suddenly the cops will do *some* work, arguably. Sometimes cops do poo poo if there’s a personal investment of loving an Other over.

Or gently caress, maybe just actually doing some work for once. Could be a rookie.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Happy holidays Reddit still goes the extra mile in being dogshit. Potential-ish CSAM warning

I saw this in r/relationships and ew, ugh, it was bad as the title suggests so I reported it

Why do people hate on me [34M] when I mention that I want my first girlfriend to be a teenage virgin?

And guess what!!!!!!!

Like even if it’s in jest with the username, good god, Reddit, maybe loving try

teen witch fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Dec 24, 2022

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Maybe they don't live in America, guys

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I still don't get it; the husband agreed to it / gave it to his mum. Maybe it's like Batterypowered7 said and separate finances etc, but how was it not the first words out of MIL's mouth when the cops pulled up, much less at any point during the whole rigamarole? She's a witch, but she had permission.

Sorry maybe I'm overthinking it.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
AITA for making my daughter go to her stepmoms xmas?

quote:

I (56M) am getting married to my lovely gf (54F) next year. My previous wife died 2 yrs ago in Jan 2021 from health issues. We had a daughter 23f. My daughter and late wife were incredibly close and it hit my daughter very hard. Me and my late wife knew it was going to happen soon so i have had time to grieve and when she actually died i wasn’t as affected by it. My late wife asked that i don’t stay alone forever and find someone, so i did.

I began dating my current fiancé a few months after my late wife passed. My daughter has always had an issue w us being together. At first I understood, but now I am just fed up. She asked when I first began dating her to never try to force a relationship between the two and i agreed hoping she’d come around but it’s been a year and a half and there is still no progress. My fiancé is extremely upset about this and has been messaging her trying to build a relationship but to no avail. My daughter and i got into a big fight about it and i have cut her off financially (she has a job so she’s not helpless) until she will sit and talk w my fiancé. I told my daughter that she’s either going to be a bridesmaid for my fiancé in the wedding or she isn’t invited at all.

Onto today, my daughter called me crying and begging to not come to xmas today. it’s my fiancé’s family’s xmas and they will ALL be there. Everyone i need her to meet before the wedding. My fiancé had messaged my daughter last week about it and asked her to come and told her she’d be meeting her future step siblings. My daughter, no surprise, was less than thrilled. I told her she has to come no matter what. She said that she doesn’t feel comfortable driving in the snowy conditions and i told her she’ll be fine and to leave a little early. She hung up on me and hasn’t texted or said she was leaving and the xmas begins in an hour. I don’t feel good about her being upset before coming but it’s been long enough. she needs to meet these ppl before i marry my fiancé. So, AITA?

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Married people can still commit crimes against each other. Yeah, most cops won’t give a poo poo and will just say it’s a civil matter, but that’s because they don’t want to do their job, not because they’re right.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

teen witch posted:

Happy holidays Reddit still goes the extra mile in being dogshit. Potential-ish CSAM warning

I saw this in r/relationships and ew, ugh, it was bad as the title suggests so I reported it

Why do people hate on me [34M] when I mention that I want my first girlfriend to be a teenage virgin?

And guess what!!!!!!!

Like even if it’s in jest with the username, good god, Reddit, maybe loving try

the mods erased the post, so there's that at least

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Serephina posted:

I still don't get it; the husband agreed to it / gave it to his mum. Maybe it's like Batterypowered7 said and separate finances etc, but how was it not the first words out of MIL's mouth when the cops pulled up, much less at any point during the whole rigamarole? She's a witch, but she had permission.

Sorry maybe I'm overthinking it.

She could have said "OP's husband gave these things to me!" & that could be construed as permission, but that's more a defense to the allegation that she took them illegally rather than ironclad excuse. Given the call came from the original purchaser who had the receipts and the missing high dollar item, I'm not surprised the cops arrested her (per the story, of course).

If it goes all the way to prosecution, permission from a spouse could be an effective defense to theft charges, depending on that jurisdiction's assumptions about community property & how the couple has treated separate purchases before.

Such Fun
May 6, 2013

By making the ps5 disappear, grandma either failed to play her hand, or went for the chaos dunk.
Not getting rid of the ps5 would have given granny the chance to make OP look like a deranged and jealous woman and herself like the victim.
Instead, grandma chose jail. But OP’s marriage is pretty much ruined.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Piell posted:

AITA for making my daughter go to her stepmoms xmas?

"i agreed to never force a relationship between the two, which is why i'm withholding my support until my daughter has a relationship with my gf"

i really hope this guy's daughter never speaks to him again

Stonehouse Beach
Feb 8, 2019

teen witch posted:

So long, fuel bowser

"Peach! You can't fill up the clown car, what will the koopas think!!"

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Already deleted. Shame, because I was looking forward to the dunking in the comments.

nashona
May 8, 2014

Though she be but little, she is fierce

Love the current title but this feels like a strong contender

quote:

I grew up in a fairly reserved country where licking your siblings face especially past the 20s is not normal.

I like the implication that it is perfectly normal to lick your siblings faces before your 20s.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Vinny Possum posted:

She's not exactly telling on herself, but if the sheer idea that her husband would leave her has her screaming for the family gun to kill herself, the first step is that she needs to start seeing a therapist. Step 2 is to go down to Home Depot, head to the garden section, and buy a cinder block to whip at her terrible family.

Such Fun
May 6, 2013

I furiously hate pranks, and that lady has my sympathy - she definitely needs therapy.
But the histrionic theatricality of asking somebody else for a gun to shoot yourself on the spot is darkly humorous to me. Like a scene from Mommy Dearest.
“TINA! BRING. ME. THE. AXE. GUN.”

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Cowslips Warren posted:

Maybe she was right, but the cat was a old black ball of fluff, and the pound lady who received him had told her straight up he would be put down, because black cats have a hard time getting adopted even as kittens

Wait is this a thing? I'm not a fan of cats but this seems pretty hosed :psyduck:

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

the holy poopacy posted:

Wait is this a thing? I'm not a fan of cats but this seems pretty hosed :psyduck:

In the US I believe black cats are considered unlucky.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Also I believe it is a problem that black cats photograph badly, because the individual detail is lost, so black kitties that need adopting get skipped over in favor of more camera-friendly cats.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I don't get it, every time I've mentioned black cats to anyone who likes cats, we all agree they're the best.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
There are a lot of dumb people in the US

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

haveblue posted:

There are a lot of dumb people in the US

Black cats are much rarer than dumb people. Plan accordingly

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Pookah posted:

Also I believe it is a problem that black cats photograph badly, because the individual detail is lost, so black kitties that need adopting get skipped over in favor of more camera-friendly cats.

But that way you get the wonderful fluffy void with a pair of eyes.

It's a bit of a confirmation bias. Shelters think black cats get adopted less so data points that contradict that get dismissed as outliers. Poking around I found a study(https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7597961/#:~:text=Entirely%20or%20primarily%20black%20cats,than%20cats%20of%20other%20colors.) which suggest the correlation is weak at best, but one thing I do notice is that they have a lot MORE black cats in their data. Whether those are common in general or more likely to be up for adoption for other reasons, that means more black cats will fail to be adopted even if the proportion is the same.

edit: I thought I found multiple studies, but the "second" one looped back to the one I linked once I followed the trail to an actual paper.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

We recently adopted a little black fuzzball and although she can be a holy terror at times in terms of getting into stuff she's not supposed to, I wouldn't trade her for a million bucks. :catte:

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

My (29F) boyfriend (29M) pretended to be a big shot business guy in front of my coworkers

quote:

A few days ago, I took my boyfriend with me to an office Christmas party. We have been together for a year and a half and living together for close to 6 months and this was the first time he met most of my coworkers.

He works in finance in a position where he makes crucial decisions while I have a more humble job. But I have graduated from a more well-known university and he often makes jokes about how he is the dumb one of the relationship.

At the party, a few times while I was talking with friends, he excused himself saying he got important phone calls and went out of the room or to corners of the rooftop where I could still see him, to talk on the phone. One time, he even came back to the table while he was ending the phone call, and said things like, “Please let him know that I don’t approve this, no, I don’t find this deal investable,” etc. I felt uncomfortable when he did that, because it seemed like he was showing off, but I acted cool.

So today, I did something I shouldn’t have and snooped through his phone while he was in another room. I checked his recent call history to see who called him then (not because he would refuse to answer if I asked him directly, but I had a hunch that he wouldn’t be truthful). Turns out he didn’t receive or made any phone calls the whole time we were at the party and he just pretended he did.

I don’t know what to make of this. Did he maybe do this because he felt insecure about me and my coworkers talking about work, or because he wanted to show them he had a more important (?) job and the fake calls were just what he had to do to show this? I am really confused.

I still love him so very much obviously, but I’d like to know if I should do something to make him more secure or anything. And I don’t plan on confronting him about this or embarrass him in any way.

TL;DR my boyfriend faked phone calls about work in my office’s party and I don’t know what to make of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicdream
Oct 4, 2017

shaking my money maker to fund my crippling glamour addiction.
Unless I find another cat that claims me first, I've told husband that the next cat we're getting is a tiny black house panther. Black kitties are great.