Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
Man I’m too old to do long 3 hour long distance bus rides. The rest rest stops are super nice and all, but ugh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Booked my ticket for the summer. Doing Kansai and Chugoku like Tottori. No itinerary yet but i'm really excited that I finally pulled the trigger. First time in Japan!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

gay for gacha posted:

Booked my ticket for the summer. Doing Kansai and Chugoku like Tottori. No itinerary yet but i'm really excited that I finally pulled the trigger. First time in Japan!

:unsmigghh:

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
If it's your first time you might be surprised at how awful the weather is during the summer lol If you've ever wanted to be drenched in sweat after a brisk 5 minute walk then you've come to the right place.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

Where’s the best place to see Christmas lights in Tokyo? Looking for a place to go this evening. Staying in Shinjuku…

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Roppongi would be my guess.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Ginza?

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Zettace posted:

If it's your first time you might be surprised at how awful the weather is during the summer lol If you've ever wanted to be drenched in sweat after a brisk 5 minute walk then you've come to the right place.

It's totally my first time. I never thought about the heat as an issue until this thread and then I started looking it up. My wife struggles in the heat+humidity, and I imagine seeing the sand dunes in tottori will make things even hotter. I'll see what I can figure out in the next few weeks and maybe post an itinerary. I could also scrap chugoku all together, and maybe head north to Aomori or Sapporo and gently caress around and find out.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

The only thing I'm married to is Kansai I guess. Maybe it's just best to stay in Kansai the entire duration and deal with the heat. I really want to go here .

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Also what do you mean by summer? June usually isn't that bad. July and August are being wedged in Satan's taint.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Some of it is what you're used to as well, if you're coming from Atlanta or Bangkok or something you won't even notice it.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Grand Fromage posted:

Also what do you mean by summer? June usually isn't that bad. July and August are being wedged in Satan's taint.

July

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Did that once, never again

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

RIP.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Come with me to Fuji Rock (end of July). It's in the mountains so it's warm during the day under the sun and nice if you're in the shade, and cool in the evening/night (50s-60s). I try to get a group together every year and have had ~30 people the last few years.

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
July is also busy busy season, so a lot more visitors. Yeah the heat and weak air conditioning suck but tourists from nearby tropical countries are fine. You also get way more festivals and things going on during the summer. Stores and sights also stay longer and people linger around a lot more.

In winter, everyone just goes “hrrr”

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012

gay for gacha posted:

Land in Osaka, spend 4 nights, then spend 3 nights in Kyoto. Then activate your sub-regional JR west pass. I would not do the full 7 day JR west pass unless you are traveling on your own or used to hobo back packing trips. You are also at the mercy of back-country limited train time table.

Since you like old historical japan, I would recommend the 5 day Okayama train pass

https://www.westjr.co.jp/global/en/ticket/pass/kansai_wide/

It’s only 10k for 5 days and you get Shinkansen trains plus takamatsu. Go to straight to Okayama and kurashiki in the morning, then go to takamatsu in the afternoon/
to eat some udon and get kickass souvenirs.

Stay in takamatsu and then take a ferry to to the art islands. The art island naoshima is nice because it’s a modern interpretation of old Japanese architecture. It used to be quite a kitschy but hipster place, im not sure if it’s the same anymore.

And if you can, rent a car in Okayama and drive deep into the countryside to explore old japan, but this might be too much for first timers

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I’ve actually been considering making Takamatsu the second base of operations between Osaka and Onomichi on our trip. Take a couple days to rest, then check out Unpenji, Konpira, and the Art Islands. Then when we get bored we travel over to Onomichi for funsies!

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
High speed rail means nothing if I can’t travel past 250km/h and take a big poo poo as the train tilts sideways.

Then finish off with a nice bum wash.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
Booked my ticket in July for 2 weeks in Japan.

Looking at Tokyo, Osaka, Kyoto and maybe Okinawa. Any recommendations for areas to stay? and how to get around to sightsee/see attractions? I am going with a family (6 year old, 3 year old, and 3 adults)

Tokyo I guess Shibuya and Subway. For Okinawa, most likely a resort, not looking to take a boat somewhere else as I have two kids.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

lol internet. posted:

Booked my ticket in July for 2 weeks in Japan.

Looking at Tokyo, Osaka, Kyoto and maybe Okinawa. Any recommendations for areas to stay? and how to get around to sightsee/see attractions? I am going with a family (6 year old, 3 year old, and 3 adults)

Tokyo I guess Shibuya and Subway. For Okinawa, most likely a resort, not looking to take a boat somewhere else as I have two kids.

For Tokyo, Shibuya actually isn’t best in my estimation for hotels - Shinjuku is better if you’re looking at the bigger 4*+ international (Hilton, etc) and domestic chains, other districts are good too.

Getting everyone a Pasmo or Suica card to take trains would work for Tokyo, Osaka and Kyoto, as those IC payment cards are interoperable nationally. Getting between Tokyo and Osaka/Kyoto is easiest by bullet train, as even if it takes longer, you’re right into the center of the city.

Okinawa is trickier. It’s definitely a flight from Tokyo or Osaka; the question is if you just want a resort, there might be smaller islands available direct (especially from Tokyo Haneda airport) versus going to Naha (the main city) and flying from there. Also be aware that Okinawa is setup much more for cars - might want to get an international permit and rent a van if you stay on the big island, otherwise you’re looking at taxis or a car service.

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
Get SIM cards - well if you got a lot kids and devices, and you guys always stick together , maybe get a Wi-Fi egg. Get Okayama 5 day pass.

I would skip Okinawa this time, not enough time in 2 weeks.

For a family friendlier, cheaper stay I would skip Tokyo (I know, what a surprise for me) and stick with Kansai. 5 day Okayama pass, 10k yen

Land in Osaka and get your feet wet for a few days. See the aquarium, universal studios or some more family friendly stuff, then go to Kyoto for 2 days.

Afterwards, Go straight to Okayama and Kurashiki. Take a boat to the art islands and enjoy the summer breeze and seafood. Take a boat to takamatsu and eat the udon. Take a train back to Osaka.

Stay in some ryokan in Okayama or Shikoku for a night. Oh and rent a Van.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

May be the first time I've seen someone recommend Okayama over Tokyo. Or anything really.

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
I think that Tokyo is greater than everything else in Japan, even Kyoto; but there’s a huge associated cost. The place is just a giant money sink for nice stuff being a mega city. You are basically buying convenience. And for a family of 3 adults 3 kids, nicer things get expensive real fast.

Going to Tokyo and Osaka in 1 trip is like going to New York and then to Chicago for someone who’s never been to the US. Sensoji is nice to walk around, but the souvenirs in asakusa are trash. Most of the Japanese food there is pretty bad but newbie tourists will lap that poo poo up. Whereas kurashiki offers nicer walking streets with better food and the Buddhist temple + semi private cemetery oozes charming ambience. Asakusa actually stocks lots of calligraphy supplies and have specialty shops but I don’t think most tourists care about that stuff.

Even the ryokans in nearby hakone are generally more expensive and kind of meh because foreign tourists are less picky and they Tokyo is such a busy big city, everyone wants the chance to get the gently caress out.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Wonton posted:

I think that Tokyo is greater than everything else in Japan, even Kyoto; but there’s a huge associated cost. The place is just a giant money sink for nice stuff being a mega city. You are basically buying convenience. And for a family of 3 adults 3 kids, nicer things get expensive real fast.

Yen’s still about 130:$1, man, Tokyo is not that much more expensive, especially when you start doing tourist stuff.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

tokyo is the greatest city on earth

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

I also think all tourists should avoid Tokyo.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Only cool dudes like me know that the best place in Japan is actually Saga no I will not share the details get off my turf

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Every time I go to Tokyo I like it less but I kinda want to live there more. Too big. Too busy. I really prefer Osaka.

I get why first timers would want to see Tokyo. It has that mystique. But it's also exhausting. Hiroshima might be my favorite city I've visited so far. Very chill atmosphere there.

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

Only cool dudes like me know that the best place in Japan is actually Saga no I will not share the details get off my turf

Here ya go, 10 min walk from saga station. Being the inaka, white rice is all you can eat and it’s top 5 I ever had in Japan, comparable to newly polished rice.

http://kira.saga-ja.jp/en/

I’ll probably go to the ginza branch for lunch

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Bought tickets for 3/25~4/8. :unsmigghh:

Kumano etc. whatever we know what that is. Takamatsu is gonna be our home base after that I think. There’s enough to do in the area to occupy us for the rest of the trip.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
You'll be there for the penis festival if you wander up to...I want to say Kawasaki. I know it's south of Tokyo around Yokohama. I mean, if you are in the area and PENIS FESTIVAL!

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Everyone who visits Japan should visit Tokyo their first time, and everyone who lives in Japan for any longer period should live in Tokyo for one year at least. After that I'd say it's fine to go or stay but it's something that should be experienced in life at least one time.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I don’t really want to go to a penis themed festival with my dad. :gonk:

Speaking of, the Kumano Kodo (yes he is still trying to cram that square peg into that round hole) is apparently far too popular for that time range. I’ve been fighting its (incredibly poo poo) website all night trying to find accommodations during the time we’re there and all the pretzel twisting and schedule shifting and double-rear end booking has come to naught. There’s no availability that works for us. Ugh.

I gotta be real, I’m already predisposed to heavily disliking this Kumano Kodo thing just for the rear end pain it’s been so far.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Wonton posted:

the ginza branch
Get out

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

AHH F/UGH posted:

Everyone who visits Japan should visit Tokyo their first time, and everyone who lives in Japan for any longer period should live in Tokyo for one year at least.

This is the truest thing that’s been posted here in a while. Tokyo is great, many other places are also great, but they reflect off one another.

https://youtu.be/UGo9W_-2kJk

Saga, or as others when I lived in Kyushu liked to call it, what we drive through to get to Fukuoka :smugdog:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

wow anime!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Pollyanna posted:

Bought tickets for 3/25~4/8. :unsmigghh:

Kumano etc. whatever we know what that is. Takamatsu is gonna be our home base after that I think. There’s enough to do in the area to occupy us for the rest of the trip.

The flight and trip is canceled! Because there simply isn’t any availability for the Kumano Kodo at those times and dad is extremely inflexible on how he wants to do this. It’s a whole thing and holy poo poo do I hate myself right now I wish I was someone else.

:suicide:

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Condolences

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
Man that sucks.

Just go on the trip without him and have lots of fun. Heck he should be the one planning everything if he wants to be so controlling over his travel plans.

Send him lots of post cards along the way