Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Medullah posted:

Does Windows RDP use an internet connection for local LAN connections?

No.

Medullah posted:

It's connected to a TV that's turned off. Though I just noticed the internet speed has DRAMATICALLY dropped today, so I need to look into that.

If windows was booted with disconnected display and you rdp into it, it runs on the Basic Windows Display driver. You can check with dxdiag.

CatHorse fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Dec 10, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Medullah posted:

It's connected to a TV that's turned off.
Try turning the TV on, boot up the machine and then remote into it. If that fixes the responsiveness issues, then probably a HDMI dummy plug will fix your problem.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Raygereio posted:

Try turning the TV on, boot up the machine and then remote into it. If that fixes the responsiveness issues, then probably a HDMI dummy plug will fix your problem.

Yeah I've already got one of those as recommended in the thread a few pages back for a different isssue.

I'm going to work on the internet speed, I know RDP should be local but there's definitely an issue with the connection that must have started recently.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
I'm quite surprised about people's comments on RDP. I use it almost every workday and I find it perfectly usable. This is over a 100Mbit/s low-latency internet connection, but it's still not nearly as good as LAN. Actually it's a whole chain, first two SSH-tunnels so I can connect RDP to a virtual Windows 10, then another RDP to a virtual Windows Server and from there a new RDP connection to another Windows Server before I reach the end of the line. Even that third RDP works fine.

Around the turn of the millennia I regularly used RDP over GPRS connections at 50-200 kbit/s, and even that was good enough for using Thunderbird

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Saukkis posted:

I'm quite surprised about people's comments on RDP. I use it almost every workday and I find it perfectly usable. This is over a 100Mbit/s low-latency internet connection, but it's still not nearly as good as LAN. Actually it's a whole chain, first two SSH-tunnels so I can connect RDP to a virtual Windows 10, then another RDP to a virtual Windows Server and from there a new RDP connection to another Windows Server before I reach the end of the line. Even that third RDP works fine.

Around the turn of the millennia I regularly used RDP over GPRS connections at 50-200 kbit/s, and even that was good enough for using Thunderbird

Yeah I've been using it on multiple computers for years, it's only recently that I've had problems with it. I used to use Teamviewer but I liked how RDP just "worked" on the LAN

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
As far as I've ever seen, a turned off device will still count as "plugged in" for HDMI. And when booting Windows, if it sees that HDMI port #2 on the GPU is still plugged in to something, it will make the assumption that the previous monitor is still there. And so it will activate with the same display settings as were in use the last time, not a basic driver.

DisplayPort OTOH is much more annoying about needing things turned on.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Klyith posted:

As far as I've ever seen, a turned off device will still count as "plugged in" for HDMI. And when booting Windows, if it sees that HDMI port #2 on the GPU is still plugged in to something, it will make the assumption that the previous monitor is still there. And so it will activate with the same display settings as were in use the last time, not a basic driver.

DisplayPort OTOH is much more annoying about needing things turned on.

Yeah if you look back through my posts you can see the battle I've had with the display on my arcade cabinet. Plugged into the HDMI port on a 43" TV and when I turned the TV off and then back on, zero display. I got a DisplayPort dummy dongle and now it works 90% of the time but still happens occasionally.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

I use RDP on my LAN quite a bit. Both wired and wireless perform pretty close to native for me (actually RDP is faster than the KVM console on one of my Windows VM instances).

But I also don't do anything intensive graphically on either of them. Just LightBurn and K40Whisperer on the WiFi host.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Next subject -

My brother in law passed away from cancer a month or so ago, and my sister wants to get everything off it, but unfortunately doesn't know the pin. I know in my Geek Squad days (up to Windows 7) removing a password in a PE or Linux environment was nice and easy, but I've heard Windows 10 made it not as easy to do. I used to use UBCD to do it, but looks like that's a bit out of date. Is it no longer really an option?

Worst case scenario I should be able to still get the pictures and files with a Linux disc but was hoping I could just get rid of it password so she could look through it.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Medullah posted:

Next subject -

My brother in law passed away from cancer a month or so ago, and my sister wants to get everything off it, but unfortunately doesn't know the pin. I know in my Geek Squad days (up to Windows 7) removing a password in a PE or Linux environment was nice and easy, but I've heard Windows 10 made it not as easy to do. I used to use UBCD to do it, but looks like that's a bit out of date. Is it no longer really an option?

Worst case scenario I should be able to still get the pictures and files with a Linux disc but was hoping I could just get rid of it password so she could look through it.

This is still possible if it's a local account & the drive is not protected by bitlocker. Hiren BootCD

If it's a MS account you can reset the password or pin remotely if you have a chain of access for password resets. (IE, the MS account password reset goes to his main email account, which your sister can access. Or add a step and her email account is the recovery address for his main account.)

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Klyith posted:

This is still possible if it's a local account & the drive is not protected by bitlocker. Hiren BootCD

If it's a MS account you can reset the password or pin remotely if you have a chain of access for password resets. (IE, the MS account password reset goes to his main email account, which your sister can access. Or add a step and her email account is the recovery address for his main account.)

D'oh Hirens is what I was using after UBCD went under, whoops. Yeah I figured if it was a Microsoft account or Bitlocker then it would be a lost cause. I'll be grabbing it from my sister and giving it a shot, thanks!

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

"It is not moral, it is not acceptable, and it is not sustainable that the top one-tenth of 1 percent now owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent"

Yam Slacker

mcbexx posted:

For duplicate images, I used Visipics once and it did its job well enough, despite the dated UI.

This is really handy, thanks!

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal
How do I remove this duplicate instance of this drive I just added to my PC? It's already listed under This PC, I don't want this duplicate drop down. (Windows 10)

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Wonder if its enabled as hot swappable? Check your BIOS

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Medullah posted:

D'oh Hirens is what I was using after UBCD went under, whoops. Yeah I figured if it was a Microsoft account or Bitlocker then it would be a lost cause. I'll be grabbing it from my sister and giving it a shot, thanks!

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...13-212362da6b2f

quote:

If you need access to the account, seek legal guidance

Microsoft must first be formally served with a valid subpoena or court order to consider whether it is able to lawfully release a deceased or incapacitated user’s information regarding a personal email account (this includes email accounts with addresses that end in Outlook.com, Live.com, Hotmail.com, and MSN.com), OneDrive storage, or any other aspect of their Microsoft account. Microsoft will only respond to non-criminal subpoenas and court orders served on Microsoft’s registered agent in the requesting party’s state or region and is unable to respond to faxed or emailed requests for such matters.

Any decision to provide the contents of a personal email or cloud storage account will be made only after careful review and consideration of applicable laws. Please understand that Microsoft may be unable to provide the account content, and sending a request or providing a subpoena or court order does not guarantee that we will be able to assist you.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Wifi Toilet posted:

How do I remove this duplicate instance of this drive I just added to my PC?

You should check out Winaero Tweaker, it might be able to solve this, I know it has a lot of options to remove stupid bullshit.

https://winaero.com/winaero-tweaker/

/shill

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Sup, I did something dumb, I ticked a box...

How to undo box check?....

So in msconfig when you change a setting, lets say to boot into "Safe Mode" and hit apply/OK, a little popup will pop up (duh) saying "you need to restart your computer for change to take effect. want to reboot now"? or something similar, there is also a little checkbox there that says "don't ask me again", well I clicked that little checkbox by mistake and actually like it to ask for reboots...

So how can I reset this msconfig's little checkbox that asked me for reboots? Ideally I'd just want to get the reboot prompt back and not "factory reset" the whole thing with services/tasks/whatever else getting reset along with doing so...

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Im_Special posted:

How to undo box check?....

So in msconfig when you change a setting, lets say to boot into "Safe Mode" and hit apply/OK, a little popup will pop up (duh) saying "you need to restart your computer for change to take effect. want to reboot now"? or something similar, there is also a little checkbox there that says "don't ask me again", well I clicked that little checkbox by mistake and actually like it to ask for reboots...

So how can I reset this msconfig's little checkbox that asked me for reboots? Ideally I'd just want to get the reboot prompt back and not "factory reset" the whole thing with services/tasks/whatever else getting reset along with doing so...

I found this so probably look in one of these registry keys for the suspect:
Steps mentioned below will clear the registry settings made within MSConfig which returns the settings to factory defaults:

a. Click on Start, in the search bar type ‘regedit’ and press enter.

b. Browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\MSConfig\state. Delete all sub-keys found within this folder.

c. Browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\MSConfig\services. Delete all sub-keys found within this folder.

d. Browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\MSConfig\startupfolder. Delete all sub-keys found within this folder.

e. Browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\MSConfig\startupreg. Delete all sub-keys found within this folder.

f. Reboot the computer and check with the issue.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Oof, I'm guessing "state"?...

This is the little box I'm talking about btw, thanks random youtube video!

^^ This is also all I got in mine, and way to scared to delete something called "bootini".

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Don't delete boot.ini!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

:ccp:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Boo tini

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I don't have an equalizer tab in the sound settings. I think this is down to the Realtek driver for my Gigabyte motherboard.

There's a separate Realtek Audio Console app that does have an equalizer but that seems to only apply to digital output (I have old speakers).

Any way around this?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

When you click "Speakers" in that application, does the equalizer not appear or does it appear but not take effect?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Unfortunately there's no equalizer in that section.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
I've always had the opposite problem where
"Don't ask me again" on msconfig never applied.

I think they finally fixed that with windows 11 though, or maybe it was just weird computer stuff.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Rinkles posted:

I don't have an equalizer tab in the sound settings. I think this is down to the Realtek driver for my Gigabyte motherboard.

There's a separate Realtek Audio Console app that does have an equalizer but that seems to only apply to digital output (I have old speakers).

Any way around this?

One thing you can try is switching away from the Gigabyte-branded version of the driver and onto whatever generic realtek driver for the sound chip is. That probably doesn't help the EQ situation, but isn't a bad idea anyways since the mobo branded drivers get slower updates (and the oems stop updating them after a few years).

Your best bet is a software EQ like Equalizer APO.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008
There is also this thing: https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/realtek-dch-modded-audio-driver-for-windows-10-11-including-realtek-usb-audio-devices.250915/

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Ynglaur posted:

Don't delete boot.ini!
Don't tell me what to do!

Im_Special posted:

/Eureka_Moment
Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\MsConfig
"NoRebootUI"=dword:00000000
"NoRebootUI"=dword:00000001
0 for enable, 1 for disbale.

HaHa, not obtuse enough Microsoft!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
did the last windows 10 update cause a blue-screen loop for anyone else

luckily the auto-repair rolled it back and that fixed the issue

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Rinkles posted:

Any way around this?

You can use a third-party equalizer. Equalizer APO with the "Peace" GUI is the go-to.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/equalizerapo/
https://sourceforge.net/projects/peace-equalizer-apo-extension/

You can install it for any sound device, just make sure you restart your computer after installation for it to take affect. You also have to redo this after certain windows updates which can be a pain.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly
TBH you don't even need the peace GUI, the configuration editor that Equalizer APO ships with is easy to use enough.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

You can use a third-party equalizer. Equalizer APO with the "Peace" GUI is the go-to.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/equalizerapo/
https://sourceforge.net/projects/peace-equalizer-apo-extension/

You can install it for any sound device, just make sure you restart your computer after installation for it to take affect. You also have to redo this after certain windows updates which can be a pain.

I do this, but I slap
https://sourceforge.net/p/hesuvi/wiki/Help/
On top of it for virtualized 7.1 surround sound on my high dollar, non gamer headphones so I don't have to pay the gamer tax on subpar gamer headphones.

PM me for help if needed and I'll try, but it just works for me natively, some headphones you have to make a virtual device and do a passthrough hack for it.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
I’ve installed Windows 11 home without activating but the guy selling keys on SA mart is selling pro and home for the same price - and I might as well go for pro (bitlocker is cool).

But do I need to reinstall windows entirely? The Microsoft website says you need an *activated* windows home installation to upgrade to pro.

Is there an easier way?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Sri.Theo posted:

But do I need to reinstall windows entirely? The Microsoft website says you need an *activated* windows home installation to upgrade to pro.

Is there an easier way?

I think all you need to do is punch the key into your current one in Settings. That worked in 10, maybe it doesn't in 11? Try it anyways, nothing bad will happen even if it doesn't work.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I have never had to reinstall to use one of that guy's keys. I have had to reboot to get them to take, at most

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I have ONE older program that looks like poo poo on a high DPI display with scaling. Google keeps pointing to a compatibility option that does not actually exist for me, and the DPI settings that DO exist either do nothing OR make the window completely hosed and unusable. How do I force this one executable to not be scaled, without disabling scaling on the entire display?

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
does anyone have any clues on how i can install whatsapp on my PC? hypothetically i could install it through the Windows Store but every single step of this process doesn't work. I can't click "install" on WhatsApp in the Windows Store. When I manually download it and install the package it hangs on "Installing required frameworks." Trying to do any of the recommended fixes such as "running WSReset" simply does nothing. WSReset is supposed to open a dosbox that does its thing for 10 seconds, then closes itself. instead mine opens up and its empty. 

what a loving hunk of junk. i wouldve just given up except that my gf has said it would be much nicer if we could talk over whatsapp instead of the instagram website so: here i a loving am. trying to do Windows Store poo poo, like a printer-carrying chump

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Is there any sort of good alternate front-end for discord? I have like 30 servers, but really only focus on a couple of channels per server, so I'd like something where I can just see the status of those channels, instead of whole servers (and not have to mute all the other channels on the server).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Toshimo posted:

Is there any sort of good alternate front-end for discord? I have like 30 servers, but really only focus on a couple of channels per server, so I'd like something where I can just see the status of those channels, instead of whole servers (and not have to mute all the other channels on the server).

you still have to mute the other channels but that's what the inbox is for https://support.discord.com/hc/en-us/articles/360045027712-Inbox-FAQ