Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I know it's in fashion to assume the worst about Blizzard but there's literally no good that could come from a pay-to-win cash shop in Diablo 4, and there's no way they don't know it, especially after the Diablo 3 fiasco. Diablo Immortal is not a precedent because it's a mobile game and literally all mobile games have that poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It's more concerning that Blizzard has had a lot more to say about all the ways you can spend money in D4 rather than anything resembling the endgame class skills and itemization. There was a closed beta that came and went to absolutely zero hype, this from the most famous ARPG series in the world.

Brian Worms
May 29, 2007

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Nah, the update is free for all editions. The DLC is not free tho.

I've seen this stated multiple places but i've got a witcher 3 complete edition ps4 disc in my ps5 and it still just gives me 23.99 and 29.99 options for upgrading. WTF, sony/cdpr?

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I think Diablo 4 will be bad, especially if it just copies most of its mechanics from Diablo 3 (which I find shallow and unrewarding for long-term play) instead of trying something new, I just don't think it'll be because of pay-to-win mechanics. Trying to get players to spend money on cosmetics is par for the course for live service games though and basically the sole justification for them to even exist. That's the entire business model behind Path of Exile after all, and people are mostly okay with that.

Volte fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Dec 24, 2022

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Volte posted:

I think Diablo 4 will be bad, especially if it just copies most of its mechanics from Diablo 3 (which I find shallow and unrewarding for long-term play) instead of trying something new, I just don't think it'll be because of pay-to-win mechanics. Trying to get players to spend money on cosmetics is par for the course for live service games though and basically the sole justification for them to even exist. That's the entire business model behind Path of Exile after all, and people are mostly okay with that.

PoE costs $0 and DIV will presumably cost $60+

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Volte posted:

They already said it won't have a pay-to-win cash shop.

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

And you believe them?

The cash shop in DI made than more money than several country’s GDPs. They are NOT going to ignore that.

The saddest thing about all this is Gameloft did it first with their Dungeon Hunter series on iOS. For those who don’t know, Dungeon Hunter 1-3 were awesome Diablo clones for iPhone. They were also premium games, 4.99 no IAP. Then they went free to play with Dungeon Hunter 4 and 5 and added in terrible monetary practices. And now no one plays Dungeon Hunter anymore and there will never be a Dungeon Hunter 6.

So Blizzard is copying Gameloft who originally copied Blizzard. And it’s all going to poo poo.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The developers are also having a massive crunch right now to make the launch date: Link.

The Gamespot preview I read a few weeks ago did sound a little promising as it felt as good as Diablo III but had a skill tree to allow for more specialization and build variety without an overt reliance on gear sets like you did in III but after reading the article I just link I lost interest in the game almost completely. It's now a "wait and see for the first expansion and a sale" kind of deal. When the people working on it aren't at all enthusiastic about what you're making, outside of the whole crunch problem, it really doesn't inspire much confidence.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Don't worry, Blizzard was so shook by trying anything new with D3 that Diablo 4 will be completely devoid of ideas, desaturated of color, and made into the blandest retread of D2 since Torchlight.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Sammus posted:

And you believe them?

The cash shop in DI made than more money than several country’s GDPs. They are NOT going to ignore that.

The saddest thing about all this is Gameloft did it first with their Dungeon Hunter series on iOS. For those who don’t know, Dungeon Hunter 1-3 were awesome Diablo clones for iPhone. They were also premium games, 4.99 no IAP. Then they went free to play with Dungeon Hunter 4 and 5 and added in terrible monetary practices. And now no one plays Dungeon Hunter anymore and there will never be a Dungeon Hunter 6.

So Blizzard is copying Gameloft who originally copied Blizzard. And it’s all going to poo poo.
Diablo Immortal and those other games are all mobile games, a market with a completely different set of economics than the full-priced desktop gaming market. If Blizzard is stupid enough to try to shoehorn it in, then there will almost assuredly be a Diablo 3-style relaunch with all that stuff stripped out after a few months or a year, because the player pushback will be ferocious and Blizzard desperately needs a win right now.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
All I need from diablo 4 is to replicate the same awesome couch co-op experience that you get from diablo 3 except I'm bored to tears of looking at diablo 3 so maybe make it look a little different/nicer or whatever thx

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Don’t give money to Activision-Blizzard

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Escobarbarian posted:

:yeah:

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Diablo 4 having battle passes already got me to not buy it

gently caress a battle pass

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

fridge corn posted:

All I need from diablo 4 is to replicate the same awesome couch co-op experience that you get from diablo 3 except I'm bored to tears of looking at diablo 3 so maybe make it look a little different/nicer or whatever thx

Same. D2R not having couch co-op was the reason I didn’t buy that game.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Escobarbarian posted:

As a general rule I agree but diablo 3 was by far the best game that fridgelina and I could play together so I am looking forward to a diablo 4 that could deliver a similar experience for us. Pending reviews and a deeply discounted price, of course

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Just finished the Callisto Protocol. Man what a lovely game. Wish I could get that time back. The combat was drab and awful and clunky, which made the way the game just dropped tons of enemies on you out of nowhere in the last 1/3 nearly unbearable. The “dodge” mechanic is so lazy and it cannot handle more than one enemy in play at once. There’s enemies at once and it’s a complete mess. The story was nearly nonexistent as well. They really wasted the opportunity for those actors (esp that actress from The Boys). Definitely worst game of 2022. Although plague tale requiem might be #1 in that just because it’s like 5x as long.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

fridge corn posted:

Same. I honestly don't care about any battle pass or whatever as I won't spend a dime more than the base game. Or least I like to think I won't. Hell, if Diablo Immortal came to Switch I'd probably be playing that, as I heard it's a somewhat decent Diablo game microtransactions aside.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Sammus posted:

And you believe them?

Diablo 3 was totally playable on console without touching the real money auction house though. Wasn't the RMAH not even in the console release?

I hope 4 is also playable without spending money for poo poo (beyond the base game).

Also, I got gift cards for Christmas so I picked up Elden Ring in the sale :) I bounced off of Bloodborne after just a couple hours when I played it years ago and Souls combat has really not seemed like my kind of thing at all, but Elden Ring has been mentioned in game of the year and even best games of all time conversations, so I want to at least give it a shot.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

This reminded me to grab Diablo 2 now that it’s $13 on sale. I just got a $10 rebate card in the mail too. The idea of playing a straight port of D2 with fancier graphics sounds like the coolest thing and I’ve been itching to jump into it since it dropped. Diablo rules :getin:

Merry Christmas Eve PS goons!

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Kilometers Davis posted:

This reminded me to grab Diablo 2 now that it’s $13 on sale. I just got a $10 rebate card in the mail too. The idea of playing a straight port of D2 with fancier graphics sounds like the coolest thing and I’ve been itching to jump into it since it dropped. Diablo rules :getin:

Merry Christmas Eve PS goons!

Merry Christmas Eve! Hope everyone has a great holiday!

https://youtu.be/-ENB0iWgqoM

ArmTheHomeless
Jan 10, 2003

Saw Vampire the Masquerade: Swansong in the store. Anyone ever play it? I played the tabletop rpg a million years ago and was curious if it's worth playing.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

fridge corn posted:

As a general rule I agree but diablo 3 was by far the best game that fridgelina and I could play together so I am looking forward to a diablo 4 that could deliver a similar experience for us. Pending reviews and a deeply discounted price, of course

As a general rule I agree**

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I don't play Blizzard games except for the ones they release

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHcD5nRdwDk

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Still four hours to go

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

Rageaholic posted:

Diablo 3 was totally playable on console without touching the real money auction house though. Wasn't the RMAH not even in the console release?

I hope 4 is also playable without spending money for poo poo (beyond the base game).

Also, I got gift cards for Christmas so I picked up Elden Ring in the sale :) I bounced off of Bloodborne after just a couple hours when I played it years ago and Souls combat has really not seemed like my kind of thing at all, but Elden Ring has been mentioned in game of the year and even best games of all time conversations, so I want to at least give it a shot.
D3 was playable without touching the RMAH, but not well. I never went in the red but the drop rate was so abysmal progression was heavily aided by selling a few things and using your profits towards things that can actually help you.

The first major patch after they ditched Jay "gently caress That Loser" Wilson solved pretty much every major problem the game had (IMO). I believe the console releases followed. For many who got in early, it was too late by that point and it's honestly a shame that it was always tarnished by that brief moment in its history.

I bounce off the souls-likes too, but I've been getting the same vibe to try Elden Ring, but I have a hard time buying games >$40 so it might be some time.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I don't miss the RMAH but I do miss playing Diablo to pay my heating bills in the winter.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
i took a week off work when diablo 3 launched and played like 60 hours and had a brilliant time

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

JollyBoyJohn posted:

i took a week off work when diablo 3 launched and played like 60 hours and had a brilliant time

When Persona 5 came out I planned on skipping class to play it and went to bed early so I could wake up at midnight when it unlocked. I played like two hours and then went back to bed and went to class the next morning.

That's not even a statement about the quality of the game, btw, I was just extremely depressed.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I remember going to GameStop at midnight to get my copy of Max Payne 3 but most of the people that were there were for Diablo 3 because I believe the original PC launch was the same night as MP3's original console launch. I didn't play Diablo 3 until it launched on PS3 but I loved that version.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Spring and summer 2012 was spent playing like 1000 hours of Diablo 3 and I never did manage to find an item worth using (i.e. better than the cheapest garbage on the gold AH). God bless PoE for never bowing to the pressure of people demanding an automated trading market.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

I recently posted something about the disc version of Witcher 3 not upgrading to the PS5 version and some goon told me I was wrong. I was, so if anyone else is dumb and having problems with it...

If you go to your installed disc version and click on the "view product" or whatever, it will go to the store page and want money for it, but on the store page if you click the three dots and select "Witcher 3", it will go to a different page and suddenly it's free to upgrade.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Jelly posted:

I recently posted something about the disc version of Witcher 3 not upgrading to the PS5 version and some goon told me I was wrong. I was, so if anyone else is dumb and having problems with it...

If you go to your installed disc version and click on the "view product" or whatever, it will go to the store page and want money for it, but on the store page if you click the three dots and select "Witcher 3", it will go to a different page and suddenly it's free to upgrade.

You're not dumb, it's just not very clearly implemented.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Volte posted:

Spring and summer 2012 was spent playing like 1000 hours of Diablo 3 and I never did manage to find an item worth using (i.e. better than the cheapest garbage on the gold AH). God bless PoE for never bowing to the pressure of people demanding an automated trading market.
But POE has a trading market? The only money I ever spent on that game was a bank tab that would allow direct access to it.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

You're not dumb, it's just not very clearly implemented.

Thank you, enjoy your Christmas kind person.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Jelly posted:

But POE has a trading market? The only money I ever spent on that game was a bank tab that would allow direct access to it.
It’s not automated though, which is why it works so well without blowing up the value of items. That, and the fact that PoE doesn’t have gold so currency inflation has a limited impact. The D3 auction house meta was to run bots that automatically queried high value items and instantly snapped up the ones that were listed below average and relisted them for a profit. PoE is pretty resilient against anomalies like that since if you list something and get 40 messages in 5 seconds you can be pretty sure that you underpriced it.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Rageaholic posted:

I remember going to GameStop at midnight to get my copy of Max Payne 3 but most of the people that were there were for Diablo 3 because I believe the original PC launch was the same night as MP3's original console launch. I didn't play Diablo 3 until it launched on PS3 but I loved that version.

You were buying the right threequel that night. Max Payne 3 is loving awesome. One of the most underrated releases of that gen.

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

If I want to run back through Cyberpunk and become the ultimate brain melting hacker gal, what hardware and perks should I be grabbing first?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

ArmTheHomeless posted:

Saw Vampire the Masquerade: Swansong in the store. Anyone ever play it? I played the tabletop rpg a million years ago and was curious if it's worth playing.
bounced off it inside an hour because it was so slowwwww and hand-holdy. it's a generic Telltale walk-and-story game and if you're kinda in the Vampire rpg lore but not a psycho who can name each bloodline I can see how you might like it but I am a 20y vet of playing the rpg and I couldn't stand it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

ArmTheHomeless posted:

It’s a real mixed bag. I liked it, but I have pretty high tolerance for bullshit if there are some good payoffs. Some of the stuff they do with the Malkavian character is a fun take on the clan, and the ending is appropriately dramatic, but to get there you have to deal with some really clunky mechanics, poor graphics and pretty wooden performances from some of the characters. I’d recommend it on a very deep sale if you’re curious, but not at full price unless you live and breathe VtM.