Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Bad Munki posted:

Dangit my fortress just will not finish failing.

Peaked around 200 dwarves, and after a series of literally half a dozen fire launching forgotten beasts, I eventually hit a low of 5. The problem is, at some point I unpastured all the grizzly bears as a last ditch effort. A LOT of them. And it worked, the fort survived!

But now I keep getting unending waves of cave dwellers, and even more fire launching forgotten beasts. They immediately run into the fort and shred most of the survivors. My remaining dwarves are too sad and injured to do anything, but they also won’t die on their own. Top shelf booze and microwave dinners stocked up for them to survive for a century.

So the fort is paralyzed. And if it just failed, that’d be fine, I could move on and start anew. But like I said, I unpastured all the bears. So my great hall now has a hundred grizzly bears in it, and any invader or beast only manages to smash a few dwarves before splashing on the new residents. The bears reproduce faster than they die.

Abandoning is never an option, so we might just have to convert this thing to Bear Fortress with a few dorf pets.

You might already know this, but you can manually succumb to a siege from the esc menu if you really want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

There’s no siege, the bears dealt with that.

I’m thinking I’ll just unpause and let nature take its course, one way or another. Either the fortress will fall, or eventually a few migrants will survive and the dwarves will get back on track. Don’t need to worry about most industries for many years, so I can just speed run this thing to whatever its fate ultimately is.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
Is there a way to increase my list of actions and objects available in the "create a new image" menu? I've really been enjoying making some custom room decorations for my dwarves according to their preferences, but there's only so many combinations of "dwarf rejoicing at miserable elf". Also, is there any way to create custom art forms or books about specific topics?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I'm moderately curious if the outcome is "pleasant misting waterfall" or "dwarves perpetually concussed by water"

I was setting up a mist ring setup and didn't realize why "put statues under the holes" was something people did until my log started lighting up with "cancelled clean: dangerous terrain"

I'm excited to see, when I briefly turned it on earlier there didn't seem to be any problems other than the lowest level flooding a bit too fast for my liking.
If it turns out to be a problem, I figure I'll just invert it for next time, with a hole for the waterfall in the middle, and iron bars or fortifications around it.

Edit: Turned it on again, doesn't seem to be any problems. The water falls down on top of the pillars at the top, so it spreads out and ensures that there'll never be any 7/7 water falling down.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Dec 24, 2022

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

Bad Munki posted:

Dangit my fortress just will not finish failing.

Peaked around 200 dwarves, and after a series of literally half a dozen fire launching forgotten beasts, I eventually hit a low of 5. The problem is, at some point I unpastured all the grizzly bears as a last ditch effort. A LOT of them. And it worked, the fort survived!

But now I keep getting unending waves of cave dwellers, and even more fire launching forgotten beasts. They immediately run into the fort and shred most of the survivors. My remaining dwarves are too sad and injured to do anything, but they also won’t die on their own. Top shelf booze and microwave dinners stocked up for them to survive for a century.

So the fort is paralyzed. And if it just failed, that’d be fine, I could move on and start anew. But like I said, I unpastured all the bears. So my great hall now has a hundred grizzly bears in it, and any invader or beast only manages to smash a few dwarves before splashing on the new residents. The bears reproduce faster than they die.

Abandoning is never an option, so we might just have to convert this thing to Bear Fortress with a few dorf pets.

that's amazing

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

I've got a real piece of poo poo dwarven child that's on a constant tantrum spiral, disassembling my workshops constantly, and is responsible for instigating several massive fist fights on the central staircase. One of which turned into an all out tornado brawl between 30 members of the fort. I had to double the size of my hospital. The little poo poo has earned a few rounds in my caged goblin octagon. Hope you're wrestling skills are up to the task because he's still wearing armor.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

wilderthanmild posted:

So if you embark on an area that's roughly half terrifying reanimator biome and half normal untamed wilds, does stuff only reanimate on the terrifying side? Seems like the nasty snow is only landing there.

Yes, same thing with aquafers, there will be a border between biomes where it transitions.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
I tried to set up a wagon only entrance and got bypassed. I was probably too optimistic starting trusting that it'd work 100 z-levels down, but before I start trial and erroring it 1 level at a time, has anyone had any success with this on the steam version?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I normally don't care about Steam Points profile/emoticons but I bought all the Dwarf Fortress stuff.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe

Dr. Fraiser Chain posted:

I've got a real piece of poo poo dwarven child that's on a constant tantrum spiral, disassembling my workshops constantly, and is responsible for instigating several massive fist fights on the central staircase. One of which turned into an all out tornado brawl between 30 members of the fort. I had to double the size of my hospital. The little poo poo has earned a few rounds in my caged goblin octagon. Hope you're wrestling skills are up to the task because he's still wearing armor.

I feel like lovely children are way more common in this release than they used to be, is that a bug or do kids just suck now? Bad enough they only become adults at 18 now...

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I really wish there was a way to assign wheelbarrows to other non-stockpile hauling jobs. Sometimes when a dwarf is off installing some furniture somewhere it takes them SO long to haul the item slowly that they're practically ready to tantrum or starve when they reach their destination. Same with dumping stone. It would be so nice to have general use wheelbarrows that can be used for any heavy job. Or even have a fortress wide policy to ALWAYS use a wheelbarrow if the weight of an item is over X.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

An easy way to do that is to set up interim stockpiles near your dump or where you want to build the furniture (assuming you can move furniture with wheelbarrows - I didn't know that was a thing).

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Gnoman posted:

An easy way to do that is to set up interim stockpiles near your dump or where you want to build the furniture (assuming you can move furniture with wheelbarrows - I didn't know that was a thing).

Pro option is build a mine cart route to the construction site to fill up the materials piles.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

woke kaczynski posted:

I feel like lovely children are way more common in this release than they used to be, is that a bug or do kids just suck now? Bad enough they only become adults at 18 now...

I think being carried into battle as babies by their parents is making them into psychopaths since they experience a ton of negative thoughts without much to balance it out in their infancy. Maybe the new release tweaked the way experiences effect dwarf personalities :shrug:

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

woke kaczynski posted:

The Moon Monster posted:

I think being carried into battle as babies by their parents is making them into psychopaths since they experience a ton of negative thoughts without much to balance it out in their infancy. Maybe the new release tweaked the way experiences effect dwarf personalities :shrug:
v0.50 added chores for tots, including hauling refuse and corpses - both of which are very negative mood modifiers. Turn those off (or all hauling jobs, if you want), and ensure your dorf tots have toys.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Oh, did I mention the Great Hall of Bears is perpetually filled with smoke from the fires set by the beasts?

That’s right. It’s the Smokey Bear hall.

e: more migrants, back up to 13.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

The Moon Monster posted:

You might already know this, but you can manually succumb to a siege from the esc menu if you really want.

Surrender is not an option.

e:

quote:

The Forgotten Beast Gulshebnagnod has come! An enormous hairy mite. It has two short horns and fidgets. Its dark green hair is very curly. Beware its poisonous bite!

e:

quote:

Stray Grizzly Bear (Tame)
Nohusspotheob Gulshebnagnob’s corpse

Population: 10

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Dec 24, 2022

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

I really wish there was a way to assign wheelbarrows to other non-stockpile hauling jobs. Sometimes when a dwarf is off installing some furniture somewhere it takes them SO long to haul the item slowly that they're practically ready to tantrum or starve when they reach their destination. Same with dumping stone. It would be so nice to have general use wheelbarrows that can be used for any heavy job. Or even have a fortress wide policy to ALWAYS use a wheelbarrow if the weight of an item is over X.

Even worse is when off-duty militia forget to take their armor off (I do make sure to assign it this way) and they're hauling a lead cage or something in full plate, with their armor wearing skill still at "dabbling" or "novice."

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I'm down to -60 on this ocean embark, still not found any caverns yet. I've even tried digging out every 5 levels or so in case I dug through, but nothing.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Had three dwarves including a child enter a strange mood and go mad, berserk, and berserk causing chaos and ultimately the death of a fortress. In the first year.

these little psychopaths

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I think the rodent folk have finally broken the great bear wall. It appears they brought a necromancer, or one was about, because now there a bunch of purple dwarf and bear corpses running amok, causing havoc and death. Fighting fire with fire, they turned out bears against us.

quote:

Withered

Your settlement has crumbled to its end.

RIP Speartip

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Bad Munki posted:

I think the rodent folk have finally broken the great bear wall. It appears they brought a necromancer, or one was about, because now there a bunch of purple dwarf and bear corpses running amok, causing havoc and death. Fighting fire with fire, they turned out bears against us.

RIP Speartip

F

Pop into Legends and see if you discover anything cool!

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

So I found some caverns in the end... past -100 depth, and completely devoid of any life besides cave spiders.

Is this normal? Is it because I embarked on the coast?

Edit:

Yeah this is definitely a bit iffy. There was a thin layer between this empty cavern and the next, and the next has every sort of underground tree type from the top 3 caverns. Feels like they've been generated on top of each other.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Dec 25, 2022

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Were you on an Island type? Islands apparently often go down like 80 levels before hitting the caverns. Regions it tends to be more like -10 or -15, depending. You can usually expect not to hit them in the first few, anyway.

Secret Agent Cow
Dec 29, 2010

:dukedog:
Has anyone had an issue when infiltrators (with the message they come to steal an artifact) show up your military starts murdering most of your of visitors and merchants? I would be fine with the seasonal bloodletting if it didn’t kill trading merchants and visiting nobles. I keep ending up with like 8 noble inheritances in my fort every time an infiltrator shows up, which now all need appointments under a raised bridge.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Broken Cog posted:

I'm down to -60 on this ocean embark, still not found any caverns yet. I've even tried digging out every 5 levels or so in case I dug through, but nothing.

I hit it 6 levels down on my current ocean. Loam, a level of claystone, caverns + downward ramp. Kind of awkward for building up

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
I've started scrolling down all the way to the lowest z-level on new embarks, and if it's lower than like -60 I start looking for a different embark.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Nessus posted:

Were you on an Island type? Islands apparently often go down like 80 levels before hitting the caverns. Regions it tends to be more like -10 or -15, depending. You can usually expect not to hit them in the first few, anyway.

Nah, just a normal coast in a good biome. Though I am also barely getting any visitors, even though there are elven and human settlements close by, so something is definitely up with this embark.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Broken Cog posted:

Nah, just a normal coast in a good biome. Though I am also barely getting any visitors, even though there are elven and human settlements close by, so something is definitely up with this embark.
Yeah I mean if you were using detailed/advanced generation. I'm not sure what the default does since I haven't used it since Obama was President

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Nessus posted:

Yeah I mean if you were using detailed/advanced generation. I'm not sure what the default does since I haven't used it since Obama was President
Nah, default world generation parameters. I haven't tried fiddling with them yet.

Think I'm just gonna dig for some fun stuff, and push this fort to an early end. Bit of a shame though, as I put a lot of work into digging an artificial waterfall.

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love
Ok I’m new and dumb. I have a shitload of creepy crawler corpses in my food storage. I have a shitload of dogs and cats and the cats are pretty much immediately killing the creepy crawlers. How do I clear out their carcasses?

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Broken Cog posted:

So I found some caverns in the end... past -100 depth, and completely devoid of any life besides cave spiders.

Is this normal? Is it because I embarked on the coast?

Edit:

Yeah this is definitely a bit iffy. There was a thin layer between this empty cavern and the next, and the next has every sort of underground tree type from the top 3 caverns. Feels like they've been generated on top of each other.

My previous fort had a second cavern layer just like this one - completely empty (no trees or anything). The first and third layers were just fine, though. It was not coastal at all, no.

My current fort hit the first cavern layer early down, which was actually slightly bad for my planning (in a fun way) but then I found the third cavern on like literally -110 which is worse than ever. Luckily this map had both lignite and coal (and some trees) so I don't need magma forges but, like, drat.

Is there some kind of advanced world parameter for how deep worlds go? I think I'd rather stuff was more compact than spread out over 150 z-layers unfortunately.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Out of curiosity, do people prefer to generate older or younger worlds?
I usually just do 100 years, but I've heard people say that in younger worlds you're more likely to find megabeasts, while in older worlds you'll have more advanced civilizations, and usually more undead and vampires around.

Are the differences noticeable?

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs

Broken Cog posted:

I usually just do 100 years, but I've heard people say that in younger worlds you're more likely to find megabeasts, while in older worlds you'll have more advanced civilizations, and usually more undead and vampires around.

I noticed that in my 50 year old world the caravans pretty much never had any literature because not a lot had been written, copied and distributed in such a short amount of time.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I do younger worlds so that the good embark spots aren't taken :argh:

I'm kinda burned out on the actual game though. I'm having more fun with the world generator currently. Here's a new one. Two screenshots of the minimap, both from the same embark.

Maybe I should try a fort in a 400+ year old world and see how it goes. All of my forts are very uneventful, even in savage evil biomes.

e: This one feels like such a quintessential Dwarf Mountainside Fortress embark that I am compelled to build here.

e2: And look at this perfect thing :allears:

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Dec 25, 2022

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

My cavern layer started at 6 z's above sea level. :U And my embark is fairly flat, with just a 1-z soil hill to carve out an entrance.

It's actually kind of a problem -- my third cavern layer starts at -12, and the second cavern is filled with water, so it all counts as damp stone whenever I dig down. Wouldn't be a problem to smooth it all off, but I have to re-order the dig every time 'cause they freak out. I wish there was a setting for "ignore damp stone" or something

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

El Spamo posted:

For a while I had a fortress that was absolutely swimming in tetrahedrite. I made EVERYTHING out of billon.
Too bad it's only middlingly valuable. Do y'all smelt it into billon for convenience or get the copper/silver mix and use the copper for cheap stuff (bins/barrels/doors) and silver for nice things?

e: Also, what do you do with the hordes of humans/elves/goblins that want to live long-term in your fort? I swear once I get a nice tavern going I'm inundated with petitions to stay from every yahoo that wanders in.

I generally let goblins and elves stay and tell humans to take a hike. Immigrant bards/soldiers/sages/monster hunters/etc will file a second petition to get proper citizenship after a couple of years of living in your fort. Once this happens, you can assign them into labor pools and militia units. Elves and goblins make good citizens if you don't mind occasionally having to make special clothes and armor for them; this becomes less burdensome the more elves and goblins you have.

Humans are okay but they are short-lived and the really old ones aren't very useful. One of the things I've noticed is that human monster hunters are often extremely old people who have clearly just come to the fortress to die.

I generally refuse visitor petitions if they're dwarves because I'd rather get dwarves in migrant waves instead tbh

Clocks posted:

My previous fort had a second cavern layer just like this one - completely empty (no trees or anything). The first and third layers were just fine, though. It was not coastal at all, no.

My current fort hit the first cavern layer early down, which was actually slightly bad for my planning (in a fun way) but then I found the third cavern on like literally -110 which is worse than ever. Luckily this map had both lignite and coal (and some trees) so I don't need magma forges but, like, drat.

Is there some kind of advanced world parameter for how deep worlds go? I think I'd rather stuff was more compact than spread out over 150 z-layers unfortunately.

There's a bunch of different settings that impact this but from what I understand all the basic worldgen worlds will generate very deep. DFWiki suggests this is because the worlds are generating as islands rather than regions, which apparently have many more z-levels for some reason. In general, I don't have this problem in advanced worldgen created worlds and I don't alter any settings specific to elevation/depth. I also don't use any of the "Island" presets fwiw.

In my current world, I started out at around Elevation 46; Hell is at about Elevation -1. Most embarks are around a 40-50 z-level depth in any advanced worldgen setting "Region" preset, same goes for the default "New" preset in advanced worldgen when you create a new set of settings.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Broken Cog posted:

I have two worlds gen'd up to 420 and 666; the 420 one has a good mix of races, but I get ghoul visitors all the time. The 666 one was a smaller world (127x127 region) and there's hardly anyone in it except elves and towers. There were only two dwarven civilizations.

Is there a knob for turning down frequency for necromancy? I don't think I want to be rid of it entirely, but half of the worlds I make end up looking like Dark Souls

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

deep dish peat moss posted:

I do younger worlds so that the good embark spots aren't taken :argh:

Yeah, older worlds tend to have more problems -- either one race or another has taken everything over and killed off everyone else, or all the good spots are taken, or there's some other annoying issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah, older worlds tend to have more problems -- either one race or another has taken everything over and killed off everyone else, or all the good spots are taken, or there's some other annoying issue.
Sounds like it's time to create a fedayeen sietch and clear out some space for your next embarks!