Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

drrockso20 posted:

Which is just them doing a bad knockoff job of Gurren Lagann's ending

If I had a nickel for every half-assed ripoff of Nia's death in TTGL in YA western animation in the 2010s,, I'd have at least two nickels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

DoctorWhat posted:

If I had a nickel for every half-assed ripoff of Nia's death in TTGL in YA western animation in the 2010s,, I'd have at least two nickels.

What was the other show that did it besides Voltron?

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

amigolupus posted:

- Aang has a fanclub of randos who are appropriating Air Nomad culture, which he is rightfully pissed about. The comic ends with him accepting this and teaching them which just...feels so off.

Thats a fun idea! just given he s the last airbender and all.

Korra wasnt as good, it was uneven. But I will give them credit for trying something new.

I really think the staying power of avatar was Zuko's story arch, along with Aang's.

plus the final fights everything built up to

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRkI15fIJ1w

even in that fight zuko didnt pull some magic out of his rear end, he had help from a water bender.

Vs Korra just getting Vatu back

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Larryb posted:

What was the other show that did it besides Voltron?

Samurai Jack.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

DoctorWhat posted:

And they don't even do us the favor of properly knocking off the Anti-Spiral fight first

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Voltron didn't know how to do mech fights. I think I went over it in this or an adjacent thread, but it's paradoxically not toyetic enough to tell a good story. After the first season's vague gestures towards unlocking the weapons, character development and battle prowess are never associated with one another.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

drrockso20 posted:

And they don't even do us the favor of properly knocking off the Anti-Spiral fight first

I still say that they should have had the final fight of SJ end with Jack traveling back through time alone, slaying past Aku, then turning around and flinging his sword back through the time portal for Ashi to also finish him off in the future

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

DoctorWhat posted:

Voltron didn't know how to do mech fights. I think I went over it in this or an adjacent thread, but it's paradoxically not toyetic enough to tell a good story. After the first season's vague gestures towards unlocking the weapons, character development and battle prowess are never associated with one another.

The toys were pretty good, though. At least the lions. I got them because I'd never gotten 'big' Voltron lions before and they're fun enough.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Fivemarks posted:

Didn't the recent Voltron show go "Action? Giant RObot Fights? Nah gently caress that, more shipping" about midway into season 1?

nah iirc new voltron wasn't really That romantic (besides shiro being gay with his dead ex fiancee who got like 3 lines in 2 flashbacks and alluras relationship stuff); it was more Really Intense fans

new voltrons just kind of a show that doesn't really like having a robot or like, developing its characters, so instead they just introduce more and more Stuff to make up for it somehow

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

also all of keiths pairs are terrible because keith is about as interesting as wet toast and everyone deserves better than the boring rear end guy who got like 4 character arcs :colbert:

anyways remember pidges dad who probably should have died yet is inexplicably ok???

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Booky posted:

also all of keiths pairs are terrible because keith is about as interesting as wet toast and everyone deserves better than the boring rear end guy who got like 4 character arcs :colbert:

anyways remember pidges dad who probably should have died yet is inexplicably ok???

They save Pidge's brother halfway through the show and then he just kind of stops mattering to the plot too.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

nine-gear crow posted:

They save Pidge's brother halfway through the show and then he just kind of stops mattering to the plot too.

the Fake Death was actually pretty good, too bad its a fakeout and then pidge is pointless afterwards 😔

its a super robot anime, Where is the Dead parental figure!!!

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

nine-gear crow posted:

Having only seen the first season of Korra, I support Korra and Asami getting together, because 1) they're both great characters and pairing them up is a smart idea, and 2) Korra and Mako had all the romantic chemistry of wet fish and Mako, as much as I adore him, is a massive dork and is out of Korra and Asami's league, so the fact that both of the women he had romantic interests in over the course of the show wound up together without him is loving hilarious.

I dunno. I feel a bit suspicious of the whole "Guy is SO BAD with relationships that he turns two women gay" subtext, which seems like it kinda takes away some agency from Korra and Asami decisions. I might also just be biased because of all the loving creepy Korrasami people i've had to deal with.

Booky posted:

the Fake Death was actually pretty good, too bad its a fakeout and then pidge is pointless afterwards 😔

its a super robot anime, Where is the Dead parental figure!!!

More like, where are the super robots.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

DoctorWhat posted:

Sidebar: what's a western show that does mech fights well? Transformers Beast Wars? (Never seen it, but always meant to check it out because of its cult status).

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Open Source Idiom posted:

Sidebar: what's a western show that does mech fights well? Transformers Beast Wars? (Never seen it, but always meant to check it out because of its cult status).

Interesting question. Beast Wars is really good and they do a lot with their CGI but it is also SUPER primitive so it may not impress much.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I'd say Megas XLR but that's more of a comedy

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

It doesn't need to be mech fights, specifically, just fights where new powers and weapons are connected to character arcs and inform and reflect personalities. AtlA is good at this, and so is Rise of the TMNT, Monkie Kid, and even Steven Universe's action episodes. Bad examples are Owl House and Voltron.

Beast Wars is a good show with some okay action but the writing, character animation, and cinematography are what really made it stand out back in the day. Transformers Earthspark has some great fights but they're sentient robots (like in Beast Wars) so IDK if I'd call them mechs.

A mech series is about a human being taking on an idealized form to perform violence without being protected from the emotional consequences of that violence. (Magical girl and transforming hero stories are also about this). When the form the violence takes doesn't reflect that emotional vulnerability, the fights become meaningless.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
Dinobot was proto-Zuko

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Sym-Bionic Titan, Megas XLR. After that I think you'd have to dig deeper to maybe Dexter's Lab? It's not a very common theme in western animation. And for whatever reason, most of the successful cartoons in more recent days have been more fantasy than sci-fi.

Rebels had a fun AT-TE AT-AT fight.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mazerunner posted:

Dinobot was proto-Zuko

I'm not sure what's better, Dinobot quoting Shakespeare or Megatron quoting Revelation.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Megatron doesn't quote Revelations, he quotes the misquote of Revelations from Pulp Fiction.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Technically he quotes Revelation 22:13 and then swings into Tarantino cribbing from Chiba the Bodyguard.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Sidebar: what's a western show that does mech fights well?
I think for Western animation you just say "does mecha".

At least that way you can qualify ExoSquad and Battletech.

Maybe Big Guy and Rusty, too.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Does season 2 of The Big O count as western?

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Fivemarks posted:

I dunno. I feel a bit suspicious of the whole "Guy is SO BAD with relationships that he turns two women gay" subtext, which seems like it kinda takes away some agency from Korra and Asami decisions. I might also just be biased because of all the loving creepy Korrasami people i've had to deal with.

wtf korrasamis cool and thats a weird af way to frame korra and asami dating vs them just, deciding the others cool after whatever stuff happened in s1 i forgot

DoctorWhat posted:

Does season 2 of The Big O count as western?

yes

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Ups_rail posted:

Thats a fun idea! just given he s the last airbender and all.

True, the whole thing presented an interesting conundrum because without any more practitioners, Aang's culture would just fade into history. I guess my problem with it was with the execution. It'd be fine if the group had asked Aang's permission first if they could be taught how to become Air Nomads. But in the comic itself, they start out as Aang's fanclub who decorated their club like it's one of the Air Temples and asked for Aang to show off some moves, which he's fine with. Later on, they show up wishing to help Aang resolve a political conflict and say they're practicing being Air Nomads, all while wearing Air Nomad garb and tattoos, and Aang is (justifiably) upset at them for tattooing themselves because it's something that's earned in his culture. He only really relents when he sees his club stepping in to stop the fight between the Fire Nation soldiers and Earth Nation group.

So it's less that Aang came up with the idea first of wanting to teach his culture to those who aren't born as Air Nomads to preserve his culture, and more that he's forced to accept his club had good intentions when they appropriated his culture, is how I saw it.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Honestly, I think the weirdest part of that is that they're a "fanclub", like you would have for a TV show, and they were all kids and adolescents. Realistically, there should be a lot of adults who had been doing whatever their thing was for like ~50 years, ever since the graves went cold. I liked what one of the videogames did when it showed some non-bender villages that lived at the base of some of the mountains where air nomads lived.

I think the comics had some really interesting themes. The Promise is about how despite the war being over and the Fire Nation pulling out of occupied territory, the people who had been living there for 100 years (maybe longer if they were in the colony that Roku shut down) were embedded, and trying to remove them all would do more harm than good. You can't just do an ethnic cleansing, Roku.

Other comics addressed things like internationalism, the coming industrialization, and the avatar getting back into the business of solving problems with spirits. I felt like Legend of Korra never really got very deep or real with its themes. Republic City was a really interesting idea, but the first season was too busy for it and it basically disappeared for the later seasons. The way that Legend of Korra had so little time for looking at the world around it really felt like it was highlighting how small the world was, which I worry will be the biggest problem with all the attempts to make new series or extended universe material. People complain about how earlier seasons of the original show were so episodic, but they did so much work to try making the world seem bigger than just 4 nations.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Booky posted:

vs them just, deciding the others cool after whatever stuff happened in s1 i forgot
Basically trauma-bonding as Asami's the one to care for Korra after she gets hosed up and is in rehab.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

FilthyImp posted:

Basically trauma-bonding as Asami's the one to care for Korra after she gets hosed up and is in rehab.

Yes, this is how I saw it. Asami saw her through the loving worst of it and they formed a strong bond that led to love.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Oh yeah another think about korra.

I forget the term for it. but theirs the gymnastic like spin kick thing (thats done irl) the korra people looked at that and hence that weird bender sport.

Vs Avatar where they had that cool martial arts advisor. Each bending type had its own style.

Korra dropped the bending sport and left republic city and that where the story got more interesting.

like people said korra was really un even, but I feel bad lovely on it, because they honestly tried new stuff.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Ups_rail posted:

like people said korra was really un even, but I feel bad lovely on it, because they honestly tried new stuff.

Yeah. I think it's really commendable that they pushed the limits of what they could do in an American children's cartoon, but perhaps unwise because a lot of Korra is still too stupid/simplistic to be taken seriously by adults but too boring for kids. I kinda wish it was more successful but at the same time understand why it wasn't.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also they somehow managed to get away with on-screen torture and murder in a kids show when ATLA wasn’t even allowed to tell us that Jet was dead

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
By virtue of aging up Korra to, like, 17, it was aiming for the YTV/Young Justice set.

Which, kind of makes sense?

"Hey kids, you enjoyed Aang! Now that you're 14 or whatever you can watch KORRA THE KICKASS SPORTBENDER'

You have to imagine the show runners thought they could push some of the things they couldn't in ATLA with the older cast. But it's ultimately a Nick show, so of course you'll get the pared-down commentary leading to folks going "Did you even THINK of what your OWS-adjacent rhetoric implied YOU IDIOTS!"

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Dec 25, 2022

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

FilthyImp posted:

By virtue of aging up Korra to, like, 17, it was aiming for the YTV/Young Justice set.

Which, kind of makes sense?

"Hey kids, you enjoyed Aang! Now that you're 14 or whatever you can watch KORRA THE KICKASS SPORTBENDER'

You have to imagine the show runners thought they could push some of the things they couldn't in ATLA with the older cast. But it's ultimately a Nick show, so of course you'll get the pared-down commentary leading to folks going "Did you even THINK of what your OWS-adjacent rhetoric implied YOU IDIOTS!"

Also by the end wasn’t Korra airing almost exclusively online anyway?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Nah, worse: Nick kept yanking their chain between premiering online and on TV midseason for S3 and 4

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

SlothfulCobra posted:

Other comics addressed things like internationalism, the coming industrialization, and the avatar getting back into the business of solving problems with spirits. I felt like Legend of Korra never really got very deep or real with its themes. Republic City was a really interesting idea, but the first season was too busy for it and it basically disappeared for the later seasons. The way that Legend of Korra had so little time for looking at the world around it really felt like it was highlighting how small the world was, which I worry will be the biggest problem with all the attempts to make new series or extended universe material. People complain about how earlier seasons of the original show were so episodic, but they did so much work to try making the world seem bigger than just 4 nations.

The whole 'benders control everything and normies are tired of it' was also an interesting road they sort of just ignored after season one. And they did waste a lot of time on sportsbending. And people with a better recollection to it say that mostly what the show pushed was wan centrism which is not the same as balance.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
was about to mention the schedule effing, also Nick is famously anti anycartoon that isnt Spongebob or Fairyodd Parents

Also I'm still of the opinion that they should just do the jrpg/zelda/castlevania thing of shoving more and more past technically prequel stuff into the inf divisions between Year Wan and Year Aang minus 4 avatars(5? we technically saw the one other Fire Avatar make those volcanoes erupt)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Does Nick still technically own the Avatar license for that matter? Because I’d assume if a new series is actually coming in a few years then somewhere like Netflix would probably be the best place for it

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

PhazonLink posted:

was about to mention the schedule effing, also Nick is famously anti anycartoon that isnt Spongebob or Fairyodd Parents

Also I'm still of the opinion that they should just do the jrpg/zelda/castlevania thing of shoving more and more past technically prequel stuff into the inf divisions between Year Wan and Year Aang minus 4 avatars(5? we technically saw the one other Fire Avatar make those volcanoes erupt)

Nickelodeon and loving with Avatar's scheduling goes back all the way to literally the first season of the show back in 2005.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Larryb posted:

Does Nick still technically own the Avatar license for that matter? Because I’d assume if a new series is actually coming in a few years then somewhere like Netflix would probably be the best place for it

I'm sure they do, corporations rarely let IP rights lapse if there's even a cent to be made. But yeah I'm sure that if this theoretical sequel got made it'd be streaming (most likely on Paramount+ but maybe on Netflix)