Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Oh wow I’ve only just seen the weather across most of the US, thought the minus numbers were bad and then I changed to celsius :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
Yea, it's really cold and windy. And colder than usual for probably ~60% of the US population. I'm in Central New York, and it's a little chilly for us, but the volume of snow and wind are what makes it less great.

My work laptop has been off for a full week now. It's very nice.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm on Day 12 of covid today so that's supposed to mean I'm all good, but apparently these lingering symptoms can last for literally months which I am not please about

Hope you feel better soon IE

I lost my taste for 6 weeks. I don't envy what you're going with.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm on Day 12 of covid today so that's supposed to mean I'm all good, but apparently these lingering symptoms can last for literally months which I am not please about

Thank you. It's not my first time with COVID and it definitely took me a bit to recover the first time.

Thanks Ants posted:

Oh wow I’ve only just seen the weather across most of the US, thought the minus numbers were bad and then I changed to celsius :stare:

Yeah... it went from like 1c to -31c in less than a day. And the wind chill was pretty bad in places. All while people were traveling for the holidays. RIP.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Had to cancel a spa trip because it was too icy to go

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Losing sense of smell and taste was the worst part of covid for me. I didn't realize how much I enjoy smelling food until it was gone.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Sepist posted:

Losing sense of smell and taste was the worst part of covid for me. I didn't realize how much I enjoy smelling food until it was gone.

I thought it was cool until I realized my butt still had taste buds so yeah, don't eat really hot food just cause you can.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I always get some amusement out of it when you guys lower 48 get weather that would be pretty normal here but lots of you are in places that don't have the infrastructure to withstand this weather long term, so please stay safe goons

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

tokin opposition posted:

Had to cancel a spa trip because it was too icy to go

We all have our trials and tribulations.

The Fool posted:

I always get some amusement out of it when you guys lower 48 get weather that would be pretty normal here but lots of you are in places that don't have the infrastructure to withstand this weather long term, so please stay safe goons

Look, some of us are originally from Florida. Today was my first time using a snow blower.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Internet Explorer posted:

Look, some of us are originally from Florida. Today was my first time using a snow blower.

mods?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

My internet has been out for 12 hours. I don’t envy the techs having to fix this. 3000+ folks are out. Also got an email from my gas company to everyone asking to lower our stats to 60f.

GreenNight fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Dec 24, 2022

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It’s -4F in Pittsburgh right now with -21 windchills. It might get as low as -7F with -40 windchills.

So far, we’ve broken our last record low temp (-3F) with -5F.

I had to open up my closets that are on exterior walls because condensation was forming on the exterior walls.

We barely got any snow (maybe like 1.5 inches) but the constant blowing and extra cold temps that are limiting the effect of deicing agents means a lot of the roads are still pretty bad. I holed up today, but i need to drive out to my parents early evening tomorrow. By then it should be a balmy 8F.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Jesus, sounds like a rough week. Hope the pipes get resolved without too much issue and hope you are feeling better. :(

COVID is still kicking our asses. But we at least had the energy to get the new snowblower out and clean up some of this snow. I think yesterday got to something like -30.

Did you put this through politepost?

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

CLAM DOWN posted:

I had OG Covid in 2020 and my sense of smell & taste has never come back fully

On the plus side I have a bonus to fart resistance so I mean I kinda won in the end really

dont florida shame lest ye bring the wrath of Florida man upon ye

tehinternet fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Dec 24, 2022

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I'm in Buffalo and the wind is causing closed interior doors to creak. I can only imagine the entire wall is flexing and it's kind of freaking me out.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

The gang's all here.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
It was -40 with the wind chill here yesterday, I have never experienced the kind of cold that brought. I drove to the store (3 miles) and as someone who recently drove through a literal blizzard in the Rockies with the same vehicle it was loving intense. We only got 4 inches but the roads are freezing immediately. Stay safe goons

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

CLAM DOWN posted:

You get a prescription for Paxlovid yet? It'll give you a better chance of beating those symptoms, both short and long term.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

The gang's all here.

That's the stuff.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Potato Salad posted:

You get a prescription for Paxlovid yet? It'll give you a better chance of beating those symptoms, both short and long term.

You can only start taking that within 5 days of testing positive or it's useless

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Potato Salad posted:

You have to get it within 5 days of symptoms. I've heard that it's super easy to get, pharmacists can prescribe it, etc., but I've tried a bunch of places and they l want a doctor to prescribe and all are saying it's only for high risk people. I think they started to run out so are making it harder to get again. YMMV, etc.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

It's easier to get these days if you know where to go.

https://hidrb.com/care/primary-care/covid-19

You can lie about when you first got symptoms. Whether you're one day in or twelve, pushing the pause button on viral replication is a boon. Well-read GPs, mine included, are slowly catching on to its utility as a way to defeat a persistent infection weeks or months after having COVID, too.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Dec 24, 2022

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

That's good to know, thanks for sharing.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I got that drug from drb with no issues. But paxlovid really hosed me up bad. Room was spinning at a high rate of velocity for 24 hours after 3 doses. Never again.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Yeah my SIL had side effects from Paxlovid as well. Ymmv, proceed with caution

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I just had the taste of licking a 9v battery in my mouth the whole time. Weirdest side effect ever.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Potato Salad posted:

Only hospitalized, 65+, clinically vulnerable, or Indigenous people can get Paxlovid here. So nope :( I'm feeling a lot better overall though, it sure did suck for like a week.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Imagine this fuckhead in your dc just unplugging poo poo

E: even better.

https://twitter.com/c7five/status/1...ingawful.com%2F

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Christmas Eve and Elon’s just disconnecting poo poo for the hell of it.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Better that than trying to be with his kids.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

GreenNight posted:

Better that than trying to be with his kids.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Also my stupid internet is still down. 30 hours. Yes I see dudes in a tent trying to fix the busted fiber, why do you ask? I’m sure they’re having a blast working in -8F on Xmas eve.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

My internet is back but I shut off my water cause of my neighbors poo poo. Will try it on Monday. Dogs are enjoying staying with my parents anyway and playing with their dogs. My sister brought her dogs so it’s 6 dogs in a house.

My dad is not happy

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

CLAM DOWN posted:

Only hospitalized, 65+, clinically vulnerable, or Indigenous people can get Paxlovid here. So nope :( I'm feeling a lot better overall though, it sure did suck for like a week.

I forgot you're out in BC, my apologies.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
My favorite part of this season is shutting off my work phone and laptop and getting low level sauced for 4 straight days. In-laws are here and won't leave my kid alone. I'm gonna take a couple edibles and a nap after dinner.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

We all have our trials and tribulations.

I got a new one this year that is battery powered. No more smelling like gas fumes after clearing the driveway. Much quieter too.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

My new one is battery powered, too. Pretty neat! :hfive:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I always shovel the driveway, I need the cardio. It's more fun than mowing a lawn anyways because I actually gain benefit from having a clear driveway.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
My (electric) snowblower died a couple days ago. I'd been been thinking of getting a new one, but was hoping to make it through one more season. Then I tried to shovel some of this poo poo and I said "gently caress this" and cleared my driveway and drove to Menards and bought the one I'd had my eye on (also electric). Big upgrade.

Oh yeah this is the IT thread. We were closed Friday and at like 6 am my annoying coworker sends me a Slack message with some esoteric git command asking if it's the right way and I'm like I don't know dude, just open a pull request and I'll merge it, you don't need to make it so complicated/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

xzzy posted:

I always shovel the driveway, I need the cardio. It's more fun than mowing a lawn anyways because I actually gain benefit from having a clear driveway.

not saying this is the case for you but shoveling snow is a huge factor in increased risk for heart attack