Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Just finished it. My initial reaction is that Andor is the best Star Wars. No qualifiers. Full stop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty
I just binged Andor over a few days and thought it was pretty fantastic as well. I'm not a Star Wars guy (haven't even seen all the pre-disney movies) so most of the references flew over my head, I just enjoyed it as dystopian sf.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
It's definitely the best-written one. But the pure adventure of ANH and the spooky mysticism of ESB keep them both miles ahead of it to me. But it's certainly in the running for top 3, though that gets iffier if we can count individual arcs of Clone Wars.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Dec 23, 2022

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Other Star Wars are fun. I like them. Nice fantasy adventures, and I'm a sucker for world building, even if it's simplistic, so the way they all connect is fun to me. The original trilogy, the Last Jedi, the prequel trilogy, parts of the Clone Wars cartoon, the Mandalorian, all of it good stuff to me though obviously of varying quality.

But Andor is something else entirely. For once I'm not just appreciating a Star Wars for what it is, instead I am being pandered to directly with a masterfully executed stab right at my interest in media. It's really good.

I'd definitely say Andor is the best Star Wars myself.

Though I will add the qualifier that not everyone is looking for the same kind of story, so I understand other opinions. Especially considering the original trilogy is a simple iconic adventure story most people experienced in their youth. That's a powerful kind of story and is obviously gonna be special to folks.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Arc Hammer posted:

"The Empire is a disease that thrives in darkness. It is never more alive than when we sleep!"

I finished my rewatch last night. I realized that Maarva is responsible for Cassian being able to make it back into town. Earlier they mention how she's been acting defiant against the Empire by marching around town and that she'd cleaned up the secret entrance to the drainage tunnel beneath Rix Road so that the Rebellion could sweep into town and push the Empire out. And that's just what Cassian does.

There's a really good progression with Maarva where she seems somewhat like a silly old lady playing rebel, other characters are sighing about it to different degrees, partly because they want to stay out of trouble. But it turns out that she's a rebel and so can you and every little contribution helps (ties neatly into Nemik's thesis).

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

That’s a a great point and it goes neatly into Luke’s attitude at the start of ANH.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

If I had ten divisions of that guy, our troubles here would be over very quickly

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Same energy

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

ruddiger posted:

Same energy

I missed that he gets shoved into Brasso's path by his band mates lol

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Here's a comprehensive list of my problems with the show:

* It felt like they let the holorecording of Maarva go on a little too long once it became clear what the tone of it was. But to be fair, maybe this early in the Rebellion the Empire was a little more willing to tolerate bad-mouthing.

* The AK-47s. Come on, man. Yeah, yeah, b-b-but Han's blaster! No. Using an obscure WW1 pistol is not the same as using the most produced and arguably most recognizable firearm ever produced. It's been used on a national flag FFS. I found it as jarring and immersion breaking as it would've been to see Andor wearing a pair of off-the-shelf Air Jordan IVs.

That's it. That's all I got.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

Just finished it. My initial reaction is that Andor is the best Star Wars. No qualifiers. Full stop.

Same, A New Hope will always be my absolute personal favorite Star Wars thing and I love Mando season 1 but Andor is for real the best Star Wars.

Here's a comprehensive list of my problems with the show:

* It felt like they let the holorecording of Maarva go on a little too long once it became clear what the tone of it was. But to be fair, maybe this early in the Rebellion the Empire was a little more willing to tolerate bad-mouthing.

* The AK-47s. Come on, man. Yeah, yeah, b-b-but Han's blaster! No. Using an obscure WW1 pistol is not the same as using the most produced and arguably most recognizable firearm ever produced. It's been used on a national flag FFS. I found it as jarring and immersion breaking as it would've been to see Andor wearing a pair of off-the-shelf Air Jordan IVs.

Haha I noticed that too, like at least dress them up a little bit?

I didn't mind the holorecording going on because it plays into Andor and Luther saying how unbelievably arrogant working for a regime like the empire makes people and how they can barely even imagine someone pulling stuff like this.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Neo Rasa posted:

Haha I noticed that too, like at least dress them up a little bit?

They are a little bit. The front half with the handguard, magazine, barrel and front sight are very recognizably AK and jumped out to basically everyone who knows guns from the moment the first trailer dropped. The back half of them is something else. It has the folding stock of an MP40 (Also used before in Star Wars, Krennec's gun in Rogue One was very clearly based on one), and the back end of the receiver is kinda MP40-based but also has a tubular part on top that vaguely reminds me of some other old SMG but I can't specifically place.

That said, really didn't bother me at all. It not at all unusual for Star Wars, as there were already barely modified versions of the MG34 and very distinctive Lewis Gun going back to A New Hope, a ton of the stuff in Rogue One was very easy to tell what they were inspired by or based on (Those two from A New Hope showed up again, along with stuff clearly inspired by or based on the Luger and AR15), and that continued into Mandalorian and the other shows (Fennec's sniper rifle is very clearly based on a Dragunov SVD).

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

StashAugustine posted:

I missed that he gets shoved into Brasso's path by his band mates lol

And that's a pretty violent blow, we don't usually see blunt-force attacks in Star Wars, much less a brick straight to the dome.

I'm trying to think of other times we've seen that kind of thing between humanoids and coming up empty. The Ewoks dropping rocks on Stormtroopers isn't nearly so violent and is even a bit cartoonish.

sad question
May 30, 2020

To be fair ewoks then probably ate those stormtroopers

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

It seems weird to me to even compare Andor to any other Star War because they're completely different genres and not attempting to do any of the same things.

Like comparing Dog Day Afternoon and Flash Gordon.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I figured that Maarva's speech only went on as long as it did because of the tension between the garrison and the ISB. Meero was insistent on taking Andor alive and deliberately handicapped the preparations for the funeral to make it a more enticing trap. The prefect was itching for an excuse to crack down on Ferrix and he'd finally had enough of the ISB's meddling when the speech had gone on too long.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Dec 24, 2022

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

fartknocker posted:

They are a little bit. The front half with the handguard, magazine, barrel and front sight are very recognizably AK and jumped out to basically everyone who knows guns from the moment the first trailer dropped. The back half of them is something else. It has the folding stock of an MP40 (Also used before in Star Wars, Krennec's gun in Rogue One was very clearly based on one), and the back end of the receiver is kinda MP40-based but also has a tubular part on top that vaguely reminds me of some other old SMG but I can't specifically place.

That said, really didn't bother me at all. It not at all unusual for Star Wars, as there were already barely modified versions of the MG34 and very distinctive Lewis Gun going back to A New Hope, a ton of the stuff in Rogue One was very easy to tell what they were inspired by or based on (Those two from A New Hope showed up again, along with stuff clearly inspired by or based on the Luger and AR15), and that continued into Mandalorian and the other shows (Fennec's sniper rifle is very clearly based on a Dragunov SVD).

The back end kinda reminded me of an M76, the same gun they used to hijack Pelham 123.

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

fartknocker posted:

The stock is a standard AK underfolder, not taken from anything else. I think that style was the Soviet Union’s first folding stock for the AK, making it an AKS. Not renowned for its comfort or stability. All the rest are of the back end mods are freebies. The back end looks inspired by a VZ58.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

The AK-47s. Come on, man. Yeah, yeah, b-b-but Han's blaster! No. Using an obscure WW1 pistol is not the same as using the most produced and arguably most recognizable firearm ever produced. It's been used on a national flag FFS. I found it as jarring and immersion breaking as it would've been to see Andor wearing a pair of off-the-shelf Air Jordan IVs.
It's actually used on several flags specifically as a symbol of resistance, often adapted from pre-existing rebellion flags before becoming the national flag.

We're watching a group of rebels in a valley using weapons they've taken from an invading empire to enact a plan of resistance in Star Wars. The fact they look like AK47+WW1 gun is incredibly thematically on point and a good design choice because the visual association is just that strong.

The fact they've got space sheep/goats instead of something more exotic is also not coincidence.

Chronojam fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Dec 24, 2022

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Halfway through Andor and it's just drat good sci fi/ military strike. My brain can't help but think of Force 10 from Navarrone with the dam setup.

Also, I'm totally shipping Time Grappler with the Armorer just by their affinity for beskar and beskar related accessories.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Andor was pretty much everything I'd want out of a Blake's Seven reboot, sans withering dialogue

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Andor was pretty much everything I'd want out of a Blake's Seven reboot, sans withering dialogue

Paul Darrow as Luthen :vince:

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Jerusalem posted:

Paul Darrow as Luthen :vince:

"Remember, Cassian, you always feel safe... with me" :smug:

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Too fuckin' right. The barrier to entry was so low.

This is not an expensive conversion, it's an off-the-shelf made-in-America kit:

Add some laser sights and gearwhombles and a weird looking comp or suppressor and you've got yourself a perfectly good futuregun that somewhat implies a Kalashnikov without so much clash. I think the most essential feature to keep is probably the classic bananamag. American AR mags are boxier, more in line with the Imperial aesthetic.

Best part is particular stock loving folds on a hinge, so Saw wouldn't even have to stand differently.

Kesper North fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Dec 25, 2022

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Tbf the iconic Rebel A280 is either an M16 or a STG44 depending on how the prop department felt about it, though neither has a magazine

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Wrong thread

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

most star wars guns are pretty recognizably real guns its just the ak furniture is a bit too iconic so even people who dont know better can point it out

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Honestly it's probably the magazine that's the mistake, most other star wars guns have no or small mags

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

StashAugustine posted:

Honestly it's probably the magazine that's the mistake, most other star wars guns have no or small mags

Yeah I think with either a straight mag or no may at all, it would've been better for most people. I dummy mind it as is, but I do understand the criticism.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Give it two magazines, each canted 45 degrees. Now you have twice as much power to rebel!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Kino: I can't swim!

(Kino laughs at his predicament. Andor is carried off the edge before he can think of a solution. Kino rips his shirt off and a majestic pair of wings unfurl from his back)

Kino: But I can fly!

Imperial prison master watching on monitor: They fly now!?

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Andor: It has to be you, Kino. You have to be the one to tell them. You have to be the one to make them go for snoke — sorry, I meant go for broke.

Kino: ‘Snoke’, eh? Heh, I like the sound of that…

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Chronojam posted:

The fact they've got space sheep/goats instead of something more exotic is also not coincidence.

Those are literally just hebridean sheep, I heard a few people saying they glued extra horns to some normal sheep but no that's what they look like

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Wow, haha. That's crazy. Okay. So, the prop department should've spent a little more time on the AKs and the Sheep. Otherwise, 10/10. Perfection.

StashAugustine posted:

Tbf the iconic Rebel A280 is either an M16 or a STG44 depending on how the prop department felt about it, though neither has a magazine

Wow, also crazy. However, I never noticed that until I just googled it and looked at the pictures. So that is a good job by the prop department.

Bulky Bartokomous fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Dec 25, 2022

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

I hope season 2 features regular bullets and no lasers.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Breadallelogram posted:

I hope season 2 features regular bullets and no lasers.

This but for a straight adaptation of Shatterpoint

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Chronojam posted:

It's actually used on several flags specifically as a symbol of resistance, often adapted from pre-existing rebellion flags before becoming the national flag.

We're watching a group of rebels in a valley using weapons they've taken from an invading empire to enact a plan of resistance in Star Wars. The fact they look like AK47+WW1 gun is incredibly thematically on point and a good design choice because the visual association is just that strong.

Those aren't even space goat iirc just a type of goat with those types of horns

E; fb

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

the fact that four-horned sheep are foreign enough to pass off as being alien is an indictment of the typical Andor audience!!

learn about sheep, you idiots, you morons!!! :argh:

in seriousness, did you know that the forum has its very own thread about four-horned sheep? instant jellyfish keeps and breeds Jacobs sheep, and they (along with some different goats and sheep) will be lambing again around March/April.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3886000

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Four horned sheep are further proof that sheep are very fumb animals because they decided to evolve curly horns that can actually kill themselves if they grow too large.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Arc Hammer posted:

Four horned sheep are further proof that sheep are very fumb animals because they decided to evolve curly horns that can actually kill themselves if they grow too large.

There are dumb design decisions for lots of animals. Using the same pipe for breathing and eating? Classic God!