Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Devils Affricate posted:

Getting softlocked in Super Metroid has got to be like the video game equivalent of getting your head stuck in the banister

Help me step-chozo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Waltzing Along posted:

I'd never played a metroid until dread and I was very confused why people were raving about it so much. If it wasn't Nintendo/metroid I think it wouldn't have ever gotten any notice at all.

Play Zero Mission. You might not get what makes it special on one playthrough, but it's one of the only games that was designed with sequence breaking in mind. You can go off the recommended path and get upgrades way before you're supposed to, making you more powerful and saving you a ton of backtracking.

While Super Metroid lets you use wall jumping and infinite bomb jumps, most of the other games only let you sequence break with glitches. Zero Mission has no glitches, at least not anything useful for speedrunning. Every path was put there by the developer thinking several steps ahead, carefully considering exactly which items you could have at each location so you couldn't get softlocked, which is the real reason most games try to avoid sequence breaking.

It's not even my favourite one lol. It just pulled off the Metroid genre of puzzle box world the best. I just wish they had put in the other two bosses and areas from Super Metroid instead of the Zero Suit Samus segment. Besides, I think that design is just embarrassing and should never have been made.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Just lmao if in tyool 2022 you're still playing a handheld game console that doesn't feature a physical crank

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Waltzing Along posted:

I'll spoil in case you don't want to know:

nail can be upgraded 3 times
nail has 3 special moves that can be learned
there are 3 main offensive spells, each of which can be upgraded once

Please give us updates as you play through the game.

there are four nail upgrades, and you forgot to mention that there are also several charms that provide radically new ways to attack (e.g. dreamshield), and obviously also charms that modify nail and spell attacks

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Dwarf Fortress doesn't let you commit regicide! This rear end in a top hat just waltzes in and thinks I'll build him some fancy quarters?? :mad:

Hmm... perhaps I can throw him into a pit... or trap him in a room and fill it with water.

itry fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Dec 24, 2022

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

itry posted:

Dwarf Fortress doesn't let you commit regicide! This rear end in a top hat just waltzes in and thinks I'll build him some fancy quarters?? :mad:

Hmm... perhaps I can throw him into a pit.

Hopefully it’s a very high quality pit

Once, I made a person flusher and it drained into the underground caverns

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
whats the difference between a fort and a fortress is the fortress female

want a dwarf fartress about trying to escape from a short, farting dominatrix

itry
Aug 23, 2019

jokes posted:

Hopefully it’s a very high quality pit

Once, I made a person flusher and it drained into the underground caverns

:hmmyes: a royal one

Tell me more about this... royal flusher.

Private Cumshoe posted:

whats the difference between a fort and a fortress is the fortress female

want a dwarf fartress about trying to escape from a short, farting dominatrix

That'd be a fortesse

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Metroid Dread is the only game I've purchased on my partner's switch.

And that's okay.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

itry posted:

Hmm... perhaps I can throw him into a pit... or trap him in a room and fill it with water.

have u tried filling his bedroom with masterwork engraved silver spike traps, they really drive property values up

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

galagazombie posted:

I wasn’t even aware that you could soft lock super Metroid without like, purposely doing so.

i had somehow gotten to one of the later areas without getting a power up i was supposed to have, but i can't remember the specifics of where and what now

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

this is truly amazing

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Crosscountry canada is a great game. Always speed, always pick up hitchhikers, always turn your wipers on for no reason

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

DrPossum posted:

this is truly amazing

:hai:
cross country canada is the original open world game. with more land than 50 Daggerfalls it is also one of the worlds largest game worlds

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

site posted:

i had somehow gotten to one of the later areas without getting a power up i was supposed to have, but i can't remember the specifics of where and what now

If you're talking about the place I think you're talking about, you can only get there out of sequence by doing a rather difficult multi bomb jump that ends with bombing through a destructible roof tile that you're normally supposed to come through from the other direction. Basically, it's significantly harder to get into the pseudo softlock then it is too get out of it. You'd have to be pretty dedicated to doing something that is not only clearly unintended, but also actually quite hard to pull off, hence the head-in-banister analogy.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Devils Affricate posted:

Just lmao if in tyool 2022 you're still playing a handheld game console that doesn't feature a physical crank

they hosed up not calling it the "CRANK-IT!"

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Rutibex posted:

:hai:
cross country canada is the original open world game. with more land than 50 Daggerfalls it is also one of the worlds largest game worlds

Yes when compared to real world it's almost the size of China

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Hollow knight should have had like 4 more weapons, like a spear, a fast shorter weapon, a big hammer and i dunno something else. That basic sword is boring by end.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Dr eggman is Italian

A farting mink
Nov 6, 2022

by Pragmatica

kntfkr posted:

I'm gonna put Chrono Trigger on my anal og pocket and play it today. :smugdog:

I agree, the best thing to do with that game is to stick it up your arse.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Caesar Saladin posted:

Hollow knight should have had like 4 more weapons, like a spear, a fast shorter weapon, a big hammer and i dunno something else. That basic sword is boring by end.

So Hades, basically

I can't really argue, Hades was awesome. I'm okay with hollow knight only having a sword though

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Give John McHollow Knight a gun. A Bloodborne gun.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
The non lethal run in metal gear solid was much more interesting before they gave out the blue guns which were just outright better than the red ones.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Panzeh posted:

The non lethal run in metal gear solid was much more interesting before they gave out the blue guns which were just outright better than the red ones.

Shame you couldn’t actually do a non-lethal run in MGS1. There’s some setpieces that require you to kill people to progress. A low kill count is needed for the Big Boss rank so the game does reward you for it.

Other than Twin Snakes, Portable Ops and MGS4, all the other games do something to make the game more than just tranq headshots. In 2 you have to find a terminal in each area to enable your radar, 3 made suppressors wear out and had no laser sight, Peace Walker added helmets and V made the dart follow a trajectory so they’re a bit harder to aim. You can also get a huge score bonus called No Traces if you never fire a gun.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

MGS2 is the best one. The protagonist switch is so awesome and funny and its the kind of thing that makes me love Kojima.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Caesar Saladin posted:

MGS2 is the best one. The protagonist switch is so awesome and funny and its the kind of thing that makes me love Kojima.

If not for MGS2 going totally off the rails I probably never would have played the series or remembered it as anything more than "oh yeah that stealth game", but I remember the ending being so absolutely batshit insane and unprecedented at the time that my brother who was playing it came and found me and said "get in here, you have to watch this". And I showed up right around when Snake breaks the 4th wall and points at his bandana and says "Infinite ammo." and I (knowing vaguely that the unlockable Bandana in MGS1 gave infinite ammo) busted out laughing. I think that's the first time I'd ever seen a videogame be self-referential like that (I didn't grow up playing any of the old point&click adventure games that did that a lot).

mudskipp
Jan 1, 2018

stop making sense
The dog tag bit at the end made me jump up off my bed

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN

mudskipp posted:

The dog tag bit at the end made me jump up off my bed

peed my pants everytime ...AND YOU shows up in the credits

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Here's a controversial opinion;

I hope you all have a merry Christmas.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet

Waltzing Along posted:

I'd never played a metroid until dread and I was very confused why people were raving about it so much. If it wasn't Nintendo/metroid I think it wouldn't have ever gotten any notice at all.

The Prime games are the best ones although maybe they are dated in a different way by modern standards. At the time though they were hot poo poo

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Metroid Prime is one of the best games ever made. Shame the sequels are just kind of okay

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

precision posted:

Metroid Prime is one of the best games ever made. Shame the sequels are just kind of okay

Couldn't agree more, the light/dark world thing was so dumb

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

precision posted:

:yeah:

I especially hated MP3's janky wii-mote light-gun-style controls. MP1's controls were a fair bit idiosyncratic, but they were designed sensibly for the GC controller and the game was designed around them in such a way that once you get used to them, everything flows really well IMO.

MP2 was okay but, idk, just not as compelling in terms of environments and abilities. There's something about MP1 that makes me want to go back to it over and over again, whereas MP2 I played once and was done.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

ilmucche posted:

Crosscountry canada is a great game. Always speed, always pick up hitchhikers, always turn your wipers on for no reason

You forgot to put the chains on the tires! You doomed us all!

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

itry posted:

:hmmyes: a royal one

Tell me more about this... royal flusher.

This was 10+ years ago, but basically you put the royal rear end in a top hat in the room (the toilet) and pull a lever. The lever opens a bunch of floodgates all around the toilet (toilet don't work without a lot of water) and the royal rear end in a top hat gets swept away with the water into an open hole in the middle of the room. The hole leads to underground caverns where he'll hopefully be quickly torn apart by ghouls or spiders or whatever.

Once flushed, someone else comes and pulls a different lever which closes all those floodgates, unlocks the door and lets the basin fill back up.

There are easier ways to kill a guy but I think being literally flushed away in a big ol' toilet to your doom is appropriate for rich assholes. It's praxis.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

I returned it at launch because it didnt have a million planets and huge animals, it had 3 planets with randomized RGB colors and several animal parts that were slapped together. This has not really been fixed. It still is not like those original trailers. There is plenty of crafting and multiplayer, but the wild exploration and crazy animals still arent there. You are better off with Subnautica if that is what you want.

When's the last time you saw the trailer or seen the game? The game is pretty much like the trailer now but with more stuff and even crazier creatures? The trailer is just someone slowly walking through a landscape towards their ship with some animals around, which is 100% what you can do in the game. The trailer didn't have any exploration and watching it again just now the trailer is missing lots of stuff that's in the game now and isn't lacking anything shown.

Not a great trailer, maybe y'all meant something else, because this original trailer doesn't seem to promise all that much lol and what it does is there.

A farting mink
Nov 6, 2022

by Pragmatica
If you grew up with mouse and keyboard Metroid Prime was unplayable garbage.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

jokes posted:

This was 10+ years ago, but basically you put the royal rear end in a top hat in the room (the toilet) and pull a lever. The lever opens a bunch of floodgates all around the toilet (toilet don't work without a lot of water) and the royal rear end in a top hat gets swept away with the water into an open hole in the middle of the room. The hole leads to underground caverns where he'll hopefully be quickly torn apart by ghouls or spiders or whatever.

Once flushed, someone else comes and pulls a different lever which closes all those floodgates, unlocks the door and lets the basin fill back up.

There are easier ways to kill a guy but I think being literally flushed away in a big ol' toilet to your doom is appropriate for rich assholes. It's praxis.

And I thought building a minecart track spanning multiple floors (that ended up not working for w/e reason) was a lot of work.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

A farting mink posted:

If you grew up with mouse and keyboard Metroid Prime was unplayable garbage.

good news

PrimeHack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
I was a Sega kid so played Super Metroid after Castlevania:SOTN and thought it was pretty good and liked Metroid Prime on release. I loved Metroid Fusion. I want to play Dread on my partners Switch, but will not pay over £17.99 for it, and since its a Nintendo title, I guess that won't happen ever.