Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
My local milsurp (here in Denmark) has SKK, it's delicious and gives a nice buzz!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

SpellingError posted:

As you mentioned the chocolate - the chocolate the Wehrmacht soldiers received with their usual rations was complete meth-free - though it contained quita a bit of coffeine. It was called Scho-Ka-Kola and came in round tins/packaging. My granddad was quite the sweet tooth, and he didn't smoke. So of course he traded all his cigarettes for his comrades' chocolate rations. Which he then kept in his gas mask canister, because it was water-tight.

Scho-Ka-Kola was also called "Fliegerschokolade", because it first appeared in the rations of the newly-created Luftwaffe in the thirties.

The term "Panzerschokolade" is what usually creates the confusion about meth chokolate. However, it refers to the normal Pervitin pills (also called Göring-Pillen, Stuka-Pillen and a plethora of other terms). Like in: "Look at those crazy Panzer guys, they swallow their Pervitin pills like we eat chocolate."

Yeah, sorry, that was meant as a joke. I've had Scho-Ko-Kola, and it might as well have been meth for me given the amount of caffeine in it. I know they really got the hard stuff in pill form.

SpellingError
May 7, 2014

Cessna posted:

Yeah, sorry, that was meant as a joke. I've had Scho-Ko-Kola, and it might as well have been meth for me given the amount of caffeine in it. I know they really got the hard stuff in pill form.

No worries. I'm not a native english speaker, so I'm sometimes a bit slow on the uptake when it comes to jokes :D

To get back to historical miniatures, here's a few Romans I did about ten years ago. Boy, these guys sure have gathered some dust...

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Is it gauche to have a Bolt Action army themed/exactly from Easy Company/Band of Brothers? Like "Here is the platoon commander, Lt. Winters".

And if that isn't gauche, would it be if I made them with the new 40k Imperial Guard Cadian models?

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I mean it is a little bit cringe, but on the other hand they’re your toys; call them whatever makes you happy

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Is it gauche to have a Bolt Action army themed/exactly from Easy Company/Band of Brothers? Like "Here is the platoon commander, Lt. Winters".

And if that isn't gauche, would it be if I made them with the new 40k Imperial Guard Cadian models?

Given how many hundred Brits who are fielding Sharpe & co in their Napoleonic armies, you’re safe. :P

I think warlord has done at least some of the BoB characters?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Do you but it's kinda weird to roll up to a historical game with 40k models

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010

IncredibleIgloo posted:

The only cringe thing would to do some historical SS unit or something like that I think

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I'm a list making pervert that created a TO&E for my brigade group-sized collection of WW2 minis. Both Kampfgruppe MAGA and 420rd Bde/69st Armd Div have unit histories that wouldn't be out of place in the GIP idiots thread :v:

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Cessna posted:

As a result, don't get hung up on trying to find the exact shade for anything, generally getting in the range - "dark green" or whatever - is good.

Ok, so where does the image of gray Germans come from? Or is dark green a late war thing?

Ofc, if the spirit moves you to start posting pictures illustrating the evolution of uniform colors and kit...

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Do you but it's kinda weird to roll up to a historical game with 40k models

Oh, I don't think I will end up playing with another human, so no worry there.

I don't like SS models either. Plan is to have a krieg/German army and a cadian/us army.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Guest2553 posted:

I'm a list making pervert that created a TO&E for my brigade group-sized collection of WW2 minis. Both Kampfgruppe MAGA and 420rd Bde/69st Armd Div have unit histories that wouldn't be out of place in the GIP idiots thread :v:

:justpost:

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

JcDent posted:

Ok, so where does the image of gray Germans come from? Or is dark green a late war thing?

Ofc, if the spirit moves you to start posting pictures illustrating the evolution of uniform colors and kit...

Afaik a lot of movies, especially hollywood ones from the 60’s and 70’s when war movies were big, went for a more ”stone grey” shade of uniforms and that’s what stuck in people’s minds.

That said there were items that could be more ”stone grey”, such as trousers. When bored by all that field grey after x amount of platoons, a German player can mix it up by painting the trousers in actual grey. Yay?

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Dec 24, 2022

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I’m planning to paint my Flames of War German infantry as Luftwaffe field units because then they get to have blue trousers!

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

JcDent posted:

My guess is it's a confusion with the fact panzers were grey, and movies and pulp comics wanting to simplify their palettes for easier recognisability.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

JcDent posted:

black and white photos and movie reels

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

JcDent posted:

Ok, so where does the image of gray Germans come from?

I think, and this is total speculation, that there are a few big influences.

- Black and white photos. The vast majority of photos of German soldiers in WWII are b/w, which leads to a subconscious idea that they were a shade of grey. Also war movies, etc.

- Hogan's Heroes on TV. The Germans in this wore blue-grey uniforms:

Which, again, leaves the idea of "German uniforms are grey."

It's correct - these Germans DID wear blue-grey, but they're German Air Force (Luftwaffe), not army.

Also, color film fades and looks washed out. I bet if you corrected the colors in this in Photoshop you'd get German uniforms that are noticeably more "feldgrau green."

JcDent posted:

Or is dark green a late war thing?

In very, very, VERY, VERY tl;dr terms they started the war with "feldgrau" tunics (feldbluse) and "steingrau" trousers, with dark green felted wool trim and insignia backing, bright insignia, decals on the helmets, and high boots:

As the war went on everything got simplified. Trousers and insignia backing were made from the same wool as the tunic/feldbluse. Insignia became grey or was dropped. High boots were replaced with low boots. The regular army started wearing camouflage smocks - not everyone, but more and more. The color of the wool became much less uniform and often more dull and brownish as ersatz (substitute) fibers were incorporated.

That's a very, very, very brief summary of what could fill a book. (And doesn't even tough things like the Luftwaffe or SS, "Tropical" North Africa stuff, etc. Also consider that there were ALWAYS exceptions as they wore things as long as possible, recycled uniforms and gear, etc.

spectralent posted:

My guess is it's a confusion with the fact panzers were grey, and movies and pulp comics wanting to simplify their palettes for easier recognisability.

Panzers absolutely WERE grey, but only for the first half of the war. In 1943 they switched to a mustard-yellow color (usually with green and brown camouflage, or combinations thereof) but "grey panzer" was so embedded in people's minds that you get things in movies like the infamously bad Battle of the Bulge, which used American M-47 tanks painted grey to represent panzers in late 1944:

Personally I like the trend from a few years ago where people would lean into the fact that their tabletop armies are based on pop-culture movies, using models like this:

So maybe a grey M-47 "King Tiger" works.

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I don't like SS models either. Plan is to have a krieg/German army and a cadian/us army.

There IS a good use for SS models, Warsaw Uprising Polish Home Army:

In 1944 they rose up and started killing nazis. They liberated a nearby concentration camp that was using slave labor to make camouflage uniforms and took the camouflage for themselves. Add a white/red band to tell them from SS assholes.

Cessna fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Dec 24, 2022

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Cessna posted:

Personally I like the trend from a few years ago where people would lean into the fact that their tabletop armies are based on pop-culture movies, using models like this:

my secret dream has always been to paint some WW1 forces in black and white - for historical accuracy, of course

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Cessna posted:

Also, color film fades and looks washed out. I bet if you corrected the colors in this in Photoshop you'd get German uniforms that are noticeably more "feldgrau green."

Uhm...

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Is that Indiana Jones?

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Cessna is being clever; that's clearly a screencapture from Dad's Army.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

grassy gnoll posted:

Cessna is being clever; that's clearly a screencapture from Dad's Army.

Come on, that's clearly Hogan's Heroes.

Endman
May 18, 2010

I fell down the rabbit hole of what colour tanks were on the southern sector of the eastern front in 1942 a while ago. There’s a lot of “explanations” being bandied around, none of which have any actual evidence behind them beyond websites linking backwards and forwards to each other, most of which have their genesis in forum nerd arguments, but there were an awful lot of yellow-brown (desert colour) tanks in army group south.

It’s just one of those things you have to make your peace with never actually having the document in front of you that tells you why. :v:

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

:thejoke:

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Endman posted:

I fell down the rabbit hole of what colour tanks were on the southern sector of the eastern front in 1942 a while ago. There’s a lot of “explanations” being bandied around, none of which have any actual evidence behind them beyond websites linking backwards and forwards to each other, most of which have their genesis in forum nerd arguments, but there were an awful lot of yellow-brown (desert colour) tanks in army group south.

It’s just one of those things you have to make your peace with never actually having the document in front of you that tells you why. :v:

There was a similar thing a few years ago when someone dug up the orders that told the German army to paint their stuff in a camouflage scheme in 1939-1940 consisting of grey with brown over that. This went against the then commonly accepted idea that all of their stuff was painted plain grey. They were, in fact, plain grey for Barbarossa in 1941, but in Poland? Maybe some of it had brown camouflage.

Flames of War, for example, painted all of their vehicles for the early war Blitzkrieg book in that scheme, like so:

And, yeah, sure, it was an order and it's entirely possible that some vehicles and guns were painted like that. But some internet folks started getting really dogmatic about it. It was an ORDER, therefore ALL German stuff was painted like that.

But - no. Orders were never carried out 100%. And there are color photos - not colorized, but expensive color photos of the victory parade in Warsaw in 1939 - that show stuff in plain grey:

I won't claim to have definitive answers here, but I think it's safe to say that colors are never as exact as modelers of gamers want them to be.

Endman
May 18, 2010

On a tangential note, I’ve been scrounging around on eBay for early war Flames of War models and I managed to score some Zis-30s which is fun.

Behold the phenomenal power of putting the anti-tank gun on top of the tractor used to pull it:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I wanted to make sure your diligent work was noticed.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Cessna's splendid in depth posts on the miseries and inefficiencies of German uniforms are routinely some of the most fascinating posts in the milhist thread and are always worth a read.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Honestly, I’ve mostly come to the conclusion that as long as you are internally consistent, doesn’t matter at all-there are some crazy people among model railway groups, who think that you should use the exact same pigment as the Proto type-totally ignoring things like colour scale, UV effects in extant samples that are 100+ years old, etc.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 15 days!
Not 100% strictly historical, but I got a copy of The Silver Bayonet (a skirmish game that combines gothic-style horror with the Napoleonic era) for Christmas, and now I'm currently on the hunt for Napoleonic British infantry STLs for it :v:

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Not 100% strictly historical, but I got a copy of The Silver Bayonet (a skirmish game that combines gothic-style horror with the Napoleonic era) for Christmas, and now I'm currently on the hunt for Napoleonic British infantry STLs for it :v:

The tricky thing about minis for silver bayonet is most minis and stls is they mostly come in large packs and in matching poses, which isn't really what you need. Honestly I just recommend the official north star minis. They have lots of character and paint up real nice. For 25 bucks you can a whole warband.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 15 days!

Class Warcraft posted:

The tricky thing about minis for silver bayonet is most minis and stls is they mostly come in large packs and in matching poses, which isn't really what you need. Honestly I just recommend the official north star minis. They have lots of character and paint up real nice. For 25 bucks you can a whole warband.

I do like some of the NS mini sets to be sure, though I also did find some STLs for the British 95th Rifles (aka Sharpe's Rifles) that I am seriously tempted by, as well as some for one of the members of the Confederation of the Rhine (Kingdom of Württemberg, to be specific) that I was thinking I could play using the rules for Austria's characters and equipment.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I do like some of the NS mini sets to be sure, though I also did find some STLs for the British 95th Rifles (aka Sharpe's Rifles) that I am seriously tempted by, as well as some for one of the members of the Confederation of the Rhine (Kingdom of Württemberg, to be specific) that I was thinking I could play using the rules for Austria's characters and equipment.

Yeah, Piano Wargames make awesome models, I highly recommend them. Oh, you might also want to check out Wargames Atlantic's monthly digital pack. It's a mix of all their ranges, but they're putting out some cool historical stuff. This month for Napoleonics you get Camp Followers - next month is a French mob with guillotine and also Spanish Guerillas.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
I picked up the Black Seas starter over the holidays, does anyone have a hack to use the turn angle tool on a ship with a base? Like is Yellow 45 degrees, Red 20 degrees or something?

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Is there any DBN-sized wargame I can play which is slightly less spergy than DBN? While I'm painting up my 20mm Wehrmacht I thought it might be good to get a game in with my 3mm nappies, but I don't think my usual opponent is going to be up for it at all!

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
When it comes to fuggin Napoleonics DBN is pretty light on the sperg but it takes it's cues from DBA which requires a drat translation manual.

I would suggest One Hour Wargames, it has a horse and musket variant that I homebrewed to add some light c&c and streamlined damage resolution. Here's a link to my google doc version, if that's considered :filez: have a mod yell at me.

There's also Rebels & Patriots, which bills itself as a 'large skirmish' game but if you just track the wounds like Blucher does on a card thing you can use big bases of large formations. Here's a shot of my 6mm stuff using some home-made casualty markers for this method of playing. Basically tick off casualties as wounds, yellow is 1/2 strength and the icons on the right are for Disordered and Broken statuses.

It works surprisingly well.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Painting up some medieval livestock for Saga objectives, looking for some feedback on coloring

Some people have pointed out the pigs should probably be more brown, not sure if there's anything else I should change

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

StashAugustine posted:

Painting up some medieval livestock for Saga objectives, looking for some feedback on coloring

Some people have pointed out the pigs should probably be more brown, not sure if there's anything else I should change

Yeah afaik viking era pigs would be rather small, brown mostly, hairier and just generally resembling their boar ancestors more than modern pigs.

Again very afaik, but a lot of preserved older sheep breeds have quite mixed colours, so not all white but maybe grey-brown shades and white markings.

”Viking sheep had coloured wool. There were shades of brown from very dark to pale fawn colour; there were also dark to light grey and some white. The longer, coarse fibres were usually darker than the softer underwool, so that when these two fibre types were separated from each other, they made different coloured yarns. The Vikings used this natural colouring to make designs in their fabric, with dark or light stripes or checks. ”
https://www.followthevikings.com/discover/daily-life/sheep-and-wool

In a moment of weakness, I volunteered to paint up some Medean persians for a six player Saga battle this Spring. Persian invaders vs Greek states. Anyone have experience of speed painting Persians? At the moment I’m thinking of using one or two three-colour palettes (like purple, yellow and white) and mix and match the same colours on different clothing, and then add some patterns if I have time in the end.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Springfield Fatts posted:

When it comes to fuggin Napoleonics DBN is pretty light on the sperg but it takes it's cues from DBA which requires a drat translation manual.

I would suggest One Hour Wargames, it has a horse and musket variant that I homebrewed to add some light c&c and streamlined damage resolution. Here's a link to my google doc version, if that's considered :filez: have a mod yell at me.

There's also Rebels & Patriots, which bills itself as a 'large skirmish' game but if you just track the wounds like Blucher does on a card thing you can use big bases of large formations. Here's a shot of my 6mm stuff using some home-made casualty markers for this method of playing. Basically tick off casualties as wounds, yellow is 1/2 strength and the icons on the right are for Disordered and Broken statuses.

It works surprisingly well.

I get a 401 on that link, is it ok?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Nah I'm dumb and forgot to enable it as publicly viewable. Should work now.