Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
The lack of fog oh wow. So many games, good ones even, that you couldn't see more than a hundred yards. Actual factual fog of war

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Who made the original templated for Doom WAD readme text files? The one shown here: https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Doom_file_template

I've seen it going back to the very start of Doom editing but I'm curious where it came from because it caught on very fast.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes
I suspect it's a variant of a BBS file template, if it came from anywhere.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
From what I can figure out, it was created by a guy called Steve Bareman. He wrote the documentation for DEU, the first popular map editor, and the template was included with DEU in a file called "WAD_AUTH.TXT".

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

That is jawdropping. Unreal needed a grunty PC at release, throwing it backwards 4 years onto a loving console is beyond impressive.

edit: I never saw a Saturn IRL, but the thing released halfway between the SNES and N64. Jesus.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
The Saturn worked with quadrilaterals, not triangles. That's super impressive to see.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Saturn does what Playstation't

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

Mordja posted:

I'm waiting for the full release of Wrath but it's literally a Quake Engine game so

It's a fair question because (unless you're running Ironwail or vkQuake) it's easy enough to make a map that performs poorly in a Quake 1/2/3 engine on modern hardware. Wrath is using the DarkPlaces engine, so certainly a better situation than say with GLQuake, but not a real screamer.

All that said, I haven't heard any complaints about Wrath even though it does lean toward giant maps. I guess to say anything more would depend on the specifics of the potato in question.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmI03eokvwc
23 minutes of a dude playing that incredible Saturn Unreal homebrew demo.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Played some Blood mods recently. I just finished Fleshed Out, and I largely liked it. Most of the maps are of frankly exceptional visual quality, with some extremely impressive Build engine work. I particularly liked the weird, fleshy vehicle-monsters that show up now and then. Mostly pretty playable too though progression can be a little obscure now and then, particularly when you have to shoot or blow up something that doesn't immediately read as something to shoot/explode. That aside, lots of neat map tricks, some wild set pieces, and fun fights makes this one a solid recommendation.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
DOOM source ports: So Luxtorpeda (the thing that lets you use native source ports on the Steam Deck) supports Chocolate Doom, Doom Retro, and Russian International Doom, in addition to more advanced ports like GZDoom, Doomsday, etc.

Notably absent though is support for Crispy Doom, even though it does support Crispy Heretic and Hexen for those respective games.

Is there a consensus that Doom Retro supersedes Crispy Doom entirely or something?

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Is there a consensus that Doom Retro supersedes Crispy Doom entirely or something?

Definitely not, they aren't even remotely comparable ports (Crispy being Chocolate-with-QOL-updates, Doom Retro being some weird effects mod but as a source port for some reason). This is likely just some weird mistake or bias by the maintainer individually.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Is it kinda strange that someone, who decided to get replay compatability with modern amenities, decided to go from the ground/chocolate up instead of starting at he top with gzdoom and all its stuff and just trying to enforce replay fidelity? Is like, gzdoom totally hopeless in that regard?

Serephina fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Dec 25, 2022

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Brad Harding's motives have never been entirely clear to me. His idea of Doom Retro is (or at least was) apparently "what I imagined Doom looked like" as some rather strange self-imposed mandela effect, but deliberately built off Chocolate Doom (1.7 to be exact). Nothing really stopped GZDoom from doing what he wanted, even on a source level (and especially now with zscript and shaders), while the benefit of using vanilla Doom was jettisoned immediately as the port isn't demo or network compatible (and in fact I think both are disabled?) and mod compatibility tends to be flaky out of the gate until he hardcodes compatibility changes.

He certainly has a vision, not that it's clear what it is. My personal criticism is his port doesn't really fit in or provide any functional purpose even compared to Doom Legacy making it a tricky port to recommend because there's no hook, but at least he's at least enjoying what he's doing and actually has the work to prove it, and hey maybe not every port has to have some kind of revolutionary feature and can just be for the fun of it. And all this opposed to kb1 who was always talking about this super port he was developing for 7 years and never had anything to show for it.

Rocket Pan fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Dec 25, 2022

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

A groovy holiday and a bottle of jack to you all, baby. I don't even drink much but it sounds coooool. Rip em a new one... in the new year...

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Heavy Metal posted:

A groovy holiday and a bottle of jack to you all, baby. I don't even drink much but it sounds coooool. Rip em a new one... in the new year...

https://twitter.com/Ecdycis/status/1606863430786613248

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

That rules!

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I used to have a ps3 copy of duke4ever too. I never had a ps3.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Sometimes lovely games molt and become a worse game

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
What's up with all the leaks this year?
https://twitter.com/VinciusMedeiro6/status/1606822427492814848

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Apparently Rayman 4 too.

Weird Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011

FIRE FIRE FIRE hehehehe!

Each one being individually wrapped is what really makes this present :discourse:

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I wonder if the Prey prototype has the KMFDM soundtrack or whether it even got far enough for that to be made?

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

TOOT BOOT posted:

I wonder if the Prey prototype has the KMFDM soundtrack or whether it even got far enough for that to be made?
It has no audio at all.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

catlord posted:

Apparently Rayman 4 too.

whoa

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
So I've turned off the weapons sway and camera knockback in Dusk and I've upped the FoV but damned if the game doesn't still make me motion sick. Anyone had any problem with this and luck addressing it? It's a damned shame; it's pretty much exactly what I was looking for gameplay wise, love the atmosphere and graphics and it runs well on my comp. Weapons got a good feel to them, shotguns feel a little weak but hey two of them. But the sense of speed it has is REAL and in this case works against it or more accurately against me. I've got one hour left I think before steam won't let me refund it so it's decision time. Probably gonna have to play with a timer until I make a call. I understand why Steam does it but really it just feels lovely considering I've spent about a third of the "playtime" thus far dicking around with options trying to make it doable.

For the record this is not a common thing with FPS games with me. CSS, Black Mesa and now Dusk are the only things off the top of my head that have ever triggered this poo poo.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

I got a little queasy when I first played Dusk, but it went away after I lowered the FoV to 90 (default is 110 IIRC).

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

lol

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Played 500 Milliliters of /vr/ for Blood. Fun levels, even the gimmick maps were neat (the minigolf one is impressive). The midis were of just a certain quality that they made me think of Doom mods, and they did some fun stuff with palette effects like frozen zombies.

Started Trauma Therapy but holy poo poo is that one rough. I think I'm supposed to be pitchforking zombies more.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
A couple early builds of a sidescroller Duke from 1996 leaked
https://twitter.com/VinciusMedeiro6/status/1607187382335324162

Along with an older version of doom 64. It seems mostly complete though

Someone made a bunch of gifs comparing the differences of the maps to the final version
https://imgur.com/a/hFpUy5o

Meanwhile there's a few early hl1 assets flying around on discord but of course you can't really track that stuff down unless you're part of the secret discord club.
Hl1 was supposed to have actual 3d flies, imagine that. Flies and roaches in 1998

HolyKrap fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Dec 26, 2022

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Finally played a little bit of the Duke Nukem Forever first slice. Absolute Twilight Zone feeling of finally, after all these years, playing this poo poo for myself. It's pretty cool, but still rough. Level pacing is all over the place and enemy damage dealt to the player hasn't been tweaked so it's super easy to die, although I guess that's keeping with Duke 3D where you're made out of cardboard.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Yeah I was surprised how fragile you were in DN3D. Also how stingy they were with ammo, considering the genre. I understand the import of having SOME ammo economy, but jeez

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I feel like all of the Build shooters justified their mean levels of incoming damage by including the doctor's bags/portable medkits/whatever so you could heal yourself at will. But I never really liked that approach and I still haven't gotten into any of the retro shooters with inventory fuckery.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Do you scroll through the inventory or use hotkeys? Because you really gotta use hotkeys.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
I'm trying to figure out how you're running out of ammo in Duke 3D. Are you pistol starting each level?

If not you gotta make sure you're using your entire arsenal, not just 1-4, and saving the rest for bosses.

Shrinker is a one shot kill on the Fatboys, One click of the devastator will blow up an octobrain. One or two pipe bombs or RPGs. will take care of most other enemies very quickly. Hell you can even shrink the battlelords in every level past the the one where he's introduced.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

SCheeseman posted:

Do you scroll through the inventory or use hotkeys? Because you really gotta use hotkeys.

Neither, because I would just resist it as much as possible for the duration of the couple of levels to one episode span I've played any of them, but otherwise I would resort to scrolling yeah.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

John Murdoch posted:

Neither, because I would just resist it as much as possible for the duration of the couple of levels to one episode span I've played any of them, but otherwise I would resort to scrolling yeah.

Just him the button if you need to heal. dude.

Also use the holoduke if you want to pretend you're playing co-op with a buddy

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

HolyKrap posted:

A couple early builds of a sidescroller Duke from 1996 leaked
https://twitter.com/VinciusMedeiro6/status/1607187382335324162

I originally thought the DNF leaker was Fred from Interceptor / 3D Realms.

I am now convinced the leaker is Scott Miller of Apogee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
GZDoom: Is there a "canonical" mod or TC or something that I should use to test GZDoom instead of vanilla IWADs? Like Arcane Dimensions for Quake? I mean, I know there's hundreds on them but is there any handful that are particularly representative?

My issue with GZDoom is that when I start it up it looks "wrong" right off the bat--the vanilla DOOM assets are all texture filtered and have an uncanny nature to them. I can go turn off all the options to make it actually look vanilla but I should just play Chocolate Doom at that point. So I'm looking for a particularly representative way to get into what GZDoom has really become.

Or is the issue really just that texture filtering is enabled by default?