Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Looper posted:

congrats on getting a new not lovely job fridge corn

Thanks! :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
I am a big lurker and terrible at expressing myself deeply but I played some fun games this year and thought I'd contribute to the positive vibes :)

Honorable Mentions:
FFXIV: Endwalker: My social outlet for the year, and a universal constant that I play for bare minimum an hour every day. Can't in good conscience not mention it.
Scarlet Nexus: The game that narrowly got knocked off the top ten. I really enjoyed this game and want to go back someday to play the other route.
Ruined King: A League of Legends Story: I will never play League. HOWEVER. Put a League spin off in front me and I'll love it, as evidence by having played this and enjoyed it a good deal.
Gundam Evolution: WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO GUNTANK
Star Ocean: The Divine Force: A shoutout to one of my favorite JRPG series coming back from the grave with a decent game. Some heavy flaws and not the prettiest to look at, but god dammit I love Star Ocean.
Grandia: Nostalgia pure and simple. I wanted to play a "classic" RPG early in the year and I did just that. It still lives up to the fun adventure that gets serious vibe, complete with stilted voice acting.

10: MH Rise: Sunbreak [Switch]
It's Monster Hunter. What more needs to be said? I played it a bunch with my buddies and I'd be remiss to leave it off of my top ten even if it is at the bottom. One of the games I played the most this year, even if perhaps a bit less than vanilla Rise overall.

9: Strangers of Paradise: FF Origins [PS5]
I went to kill Chaos, I killed Chaos, I had fun doing it. While the DLC has left me a bit cool on it after the fact, I had a TON of fun at launch. Looking forward to finally revisiting it properly once all the DLC is out and I climb my way tooth and nail to close the chapter on CHAOS.

8: Cyberpunk 2077 [PC]
Fun fact: I bought Cyberpunk 2077 at launch, played it for roughly two hours, watched Jackie walk into a locker and phase through reality and put it down to play something else and never got back to it. This year however, the Edgerunner hype lit a fire under me like so many others and I gave it another go. All joking aside, I regret letting it sit for so long. I don't know how bad it truly was at launch but I had SUCH a good time going through it. Now I'm eagerly looking forward to the DLC next year to do an entire second run with a different build.

7: Super Robot Wars 30 [PC]
Gridman and Van are overpowered and carried me through the entire game nearly by themselves.

Tempting to just leave it at that, but SRW30 was such a fun ride of robot nostalgia and learning new series that it managed to sneak into my top ten for the year purely due to how much time I sank into it. If it wasn't such a huuuuge timesink I'd probably be playing it again on a way harder difficulty.

6: Omori [PC]
One of the best equally cute and emotional games I played this year. Another tearjerker at times. I don't want to say too much about it cause I knew precious little about the game myself going in and felt that made it that much better. But if you think a indie RPG with a unique and fun turn based battle system interests you and you haven't played it yet, give it a whirl!

5: Guardians of the Galaxy [PS5]
An unexpected "got me to cry" game. Guardians was just a visual treat with absolutely fantastic and funny yet also very sincere writing. There's not much to say about the combat, as overall it's not incredible but it does the job well enough. But god drat was it fun to watch in action and not to mention it great soundtrack. I still think about the fake Star Lord band they made and how awesome the songs were. In fact I ended up going to listen to the full set of songs they did while typing this up soon as I mentioned it.

4: Lost Judgement [PS5]
I love Yagami. I like him more than Kiryu, I like him more than Ichiban. I played this at the VERY start of the year and it maintained a spot here because Yagami owns and I hope everyone who enjoys Yakuza also finds time for Judgement and Lost Judgement at some point. From dance club to boxing to actually doing the job of solving cases, Lost Judgement was a great experience. If you wanna have a real laugh time try using nothing but boxing for a while and watch everyone crumple.

3: Xenoblade Chronicles 3 [Switch]
Another mark on the "this made me cry" tier of video games. Just a wonderful RPG from start to finish that was perhaps comically easy to break wide open near the end game compared to some others I've played in recent years. I pray everyday whatever sorcery the team over at Monolith does to make games look so good on the Switch will be inherited by other teams. Long hair gang.

2: God of War: Ragnarok [PS5]
The game also made me cry, which always earns a spot on my favorites for a year. The older I get the more I appreciate father and son or any family dynamic games, even without having a kid myself it just feels like it hits harder. And Ragnarok hit me haaard at times. Just so amazingly well acted and the combat continued to be fun from start to finish. This game is on fire, and it won't pass.

1: Elden Ring [PS5]
What can I say that hasn't been said already? Not much. I played it on PS5 at launch, had an amazing time binging it for like a week straight and am hotly anticipating the day it gets marked down hard on Steam so I can buy it again and do big dumb randomizer mod stuff. Excellent game, tons of fun, eagerly await whatever bonkers DLC it gets.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Reading why people like the games they like is what makes this thread great to me. Lists would be fine, but they don’t tell me anything about you other than that you like these ten games. Actually getting into the details and seeing what people loved about the games they played this year is where all the joy comes from. I read every single one of these lists and I have never regretted it.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Rarity posted:

People wouldn't care about this thread anywhere near as much if it was just a bunch of lists.

thank god the people who would only be posting lists are now posting "i put this game at number 1 because i liked it". meanwhile the greatest introverted minds in games are languishing

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Rarity, do you want some very simple similarity stats for lists this year? Just so people see whose lists they were must close too, some measure of who had the most distinct list, etc?

I’m happy to put something simple together if so.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

CottonWolf posted:

Rarity, do you want some very simple similarity stats for lists this year? Just so people see whose lists they were must close too, some measure of who had the most distinct list, etc?

Yes do this but please put it in an ordered chart form with like an affinity % between consecutive posters rather than a graph that I will stare at for another 20 minutes and not understand!!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

CottonWolf posted:

I already have a system for working out who's list is closest to the final results and who was most deviated from it but beyond that any stats fun people want to add is very welcome!

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

oddium posted:

having to write about your games is really stupid

actually it's a really good idea and i like reading people's posts

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Yes do this but please put it in an ordered chart form with like an affinity % between consecutive posters rather than a graph that I will stare at for another 20 minutes and not understand!!

Please

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I already know I'm the only one who has my GOTY even on my list

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

exquisite tea posted:

I’m just going to make a square figure, with every poster combination having a block and that block being coloured blue to red depending on how similar their lists were. It won’t be hugely fancy, but you’ll be able to find your row and compare how close you were to every other person.

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Dec 25, 2022

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Waffleman_ posted:

I already know I'm the only one who has my GOTY even on my list

Untrue

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Oh no, my uniqueness!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

If Sonic 2006 can make a GOTY list, then anything can.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

CottonWolf posted:

I’m just going to make a square figure, with every poster combination having a block and that block being coloured blue to red depending on how similar their lists were. It won’t be hugely fancy, but you’ll be able to find your row and compare how close you were to every other person.

PM me if you want the vote data in a csv with all of the game names standardized

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Microcline posted:

PM me if you want the vote data in a csv with all of the game names standardized

I was going to get Rarity’s excel spreadsheet, convert to csv myself and then read it into R, but that might be easier. I’ll send you a PM closer to the end date, thanks.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
What if everybody said there’s nothing left to say about Elden Ring and then nobody actually said anything about Elden Ring

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
That's exactly why I made sure I had plenty to say about elden ring

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i have plenty to say about most of the games on my list

i'm still having ranking activity though in these final days of the year... a new entry in the top 10 emerged...

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Don't for one minute worry that people have run out of things to say about Elden Ring. The last post in this thread is probably going to be a whole paragraph about the Siofra Well descent.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i dont say much because i always think lists are best when you don't overthink them and go based off pure gut feeling

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 30 hours!

Rarity posted:

People wouldn't care about this thread anywhere near as much if it was just a bunch of lists.

i dont think the people who enjoy writing a lot about games would suddenly stop, actually

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
if you can't write two sentences, not only do you not deserve to vote but you arguably do not deserve to live

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 30 hours!
i pref er to be inclusive rather than excludeo r make people do things they dont want to. let the listers be free to live their lives and still participate in the way they wish.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

simple as

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Feels Villeneuve posted:

if you can't write two sentences, not only do you not deserve to vote but you arguably do not deserve to live

Reported for telling me to die

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
No meme pictures this year, too busy with life. So instead have a sims 4 photo of my Cortex character taken using the screenshot function.

HMs are games that started out on the list but wound up off it because a lot of stuff was released this year:
HM) Tactics Ogre: Reborn
Great game, would've scored higher if it didn't commit the classic Horizon/AI blunder of "release the same week as a much bigger franchise." As it is I didn't get too far before a later game took over my life.
HM) Kirby: The Forgotten Land
I can't overstate how strong this year was. I started this list with Carby at #3, and then I remembered games that I played that I was like "oh wait, that game!"
HM) Pokemon Scarlet
If this game ran better it'd have easily been my #4. Like, holy poo poo. I love the story, I love the cast, and the Ruin theme is my favorite pokemon song since Magikarp Festival.

10) Triangle Strategy
I really liked this game, and was a huge fan of it when it came out. Suffered from "releasing early in the year" syndrome.

9) LIVE A LIVE
One of my favorite games of all time, remade. I loved it, and I felt a lot of stuff on it was improvements over the original. Definitely check this one out.

8) Project Diva: Future Tone
So Square announced a new Theatrhythm, and I decided that I absolutely needed it, but it also gave me the rhythm bug, so I bought this game, and have blazed through it. I'm still not good at it but I have fun.

7) Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origins

6) Pokemon Legends Arceus
PLA is Pokemon Scarlet, but they traded out scope for run quality and I do think the smaller scope game that runs better is a better game. Also there's a sidequest about Spheal and it's adorable.

5) Little Noah Scion of Paradise
Got this on a whim, spent 8 hours playing it the same day. Would be one of my most played games if not for my top 4.

4) Xenoblade Chronicles 3
Fun game. I really like the cast, and the job system is fun. Probably my 2nd most played game this year, tho that's mostly because my playtime for my top 2 are split between them.

3) Fire Emblem Warriors: Three Hopes
Edelgard did nothing wrong (in this game).

2) Downfall: A Slay the Spire Expansion
Is this a loophole for me to list Slay the Spire twice? Absolutely, but with the Endwalker rule I consider this fair game, gently caress you.

1) Slay The Spire
I genuinely have played more Slay the Spire than any video game ever. It is a game I can pick up and play and put it down and feel perfectly content with the time I have spent.

Senerio fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Dec 31, 2022

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Stux posted:

i pref er to be inclusive rather than excludeo r make people do things they dont want to. let the listers be free to live their lives and still participate in the way they wish.

Who cares

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Reporting this mofo for this one sentence post

owned

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Kull the Conqueror posted:

What if everybody said there’s nothing left to say about Elden Ring and then nobody actually said anything about Elden Ring

such votes shouldn't count, so i can cry that it wouldn't make a difference in the results

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Great OP as always Rarity and excited for your countdown. Thanks to those that have contributed so far, definitely have added some games to my wish list.

DMCrimson posted:

21. The Life and Suffering of Sir Brante (4/5):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEUcOyUM8KI
This is what I always wanted in a visual novel, something that feels like a choose-your-own-adventure story that tracks RPG-like character stats. You make entirely text-based decisions and guide your character through life’s rough trials. The writing style is immaculate, nailing the emotional tone with terse efficiency. A tightly-constructed paragraph in this game would be ten tedious minutes in Muv-Luv or Umineko, and nowhere as affecting.

The plot is hard to sit through as it extracts more misery from Sir Brante in repetitive fashion. You can keep someone from throwing a baby in front of a moving car but that baby is now a serial killer wizard and he enslaved your family, you shithead, you dick. Now restart the entire chapter by participating in medieval COINTELPRO slightly differently. It’s hard to keep emotionally involved when all results are obviously going to be miserable.

Thrilled to find someone else who played this gem!

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Sir Brante was surprisingly good. I suspect there were lots of ways it could go, but I was happy with my first ending and never went back to it, perhaps I should.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Feels Villeneuve posted:

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
C'mon people, less clowning on illiterate people and more lists. If you post a list without comments, i'll just make them up in my head when I read it.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I think if you include cool bespoke screenshots/graphics that kinda makes up for not writing anything. Picture speaks a thousand words and so on.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Godlike posters know to include both.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I played a lot of games this year but I ended up mixed on most of them, so I'm only including the ones here that I genuinely enjoyed a lot. In vague order from last to first:

8. Total War: Warhammer III - I've played 300 hours of it this year so it must be doing something right. I was less down on the campaign than a lot of players seem to be but I can't deny how much life the mods and Immortal Empires added to the game. It also did genuinely improve in a bunch of areas over the second game which helps it alot. In the end it's still a Total War game, with the same highs and lows that you can expect. It's the best RTS series on the market for a reason.

7. The Caligula Effect 2 - This game is mostly here because the combat system rocks and is really addictive. It basically takes the kind of combat seen in the modern FF games that's a mix of real-time and turn-based combat and adds the twist where you can preview the next 10-30 seconds to see what the enemy is going to do and have your party counter, block or avoid their attacks and then check the new sequence of events. Perfectly timing your party's moves to completely dominate a tough combat is really satisfying. It has the usual JRPG problems where the dungeons are long and involve you fighting the same things over and over and with about half your party members being kind of bland or annoying but it does have some stand-outs such as one character struggling with their gender identity in an interesting way. If you're into JRPG's I recommend this. You don't need to have played the first game (I didn't), although this game is a direct sequel it's not hard to catch up.

6. The Age of Decadence - I bought this years ago and played through the first town as a thief before putting it down. This year I watched a review of it that talked about how much fun it is to do a completely non-violent run, purely using speech skills, and that really appealed so I gave it another go, using a guide when necessary. And yeah, it's a really interesting world and it was really fun to just wander around this game relying on nothing but your wits and silver tongue. If you like the old isometric games this is solid and a non-combat run feels really rewarding to play as you aren't distracted from soaking in the world and lore.

5. Virtues Last Reward - Another game that I started ages ago and I'm only now getting around to finishing. I don't think it's as original and interesting as the first game, especially since it's kind of just rehashing a lot of stuff that we already know from that game but the core mechanic of exploring the various routes is very well done and a lot of the characters are pretty stellar. Working out how and why everything plays out is a very rewarding experience, and the ending is a very cool culmination of both games. I'm not a huge fan of puzzles so I kind of just skipped them all though, lol.

4. Marvels Midnight Suns - Another game where it's mostly here because of the combat system. You have a team of Marvel superheroes and get to control 3 of them in combat where their attacks are based around cards that you draw each turn, with you being able to customise each character's decks. It's a very slick system that really hits the right spots of encouraging you to maximise efficiency and game the system. The story ranges from kind of ok to frustrating but a lot of the side activities of just hanging out with the various heroes and bonding with them were great. Also, I was surprised at how much I ended up liking the player character, which is unusual for a PC where you pick the dialogue. The Hunter is just such a dork, it's great.

3. Elden Ring - Elden Ring is good, shocker. I'm a big lore nerd, so getting to run around this new world and piece together the details was a real treat, they really outdid themselves in this aspect even compared to their previously high standards. The improvements to the combat system felt great even if they pushed some of the bosses difficulty into unfun territory. More importantly, there were a bunch of cool outfits and armor to find: The most worthwhile aspect of any From game.

2. Paradise Killer - I actually got really into detective mysteries this year and so, having already gone through the best mystery game of all time Umineko, I really wanted to find a game that could scratch the itch for it. Paradise Killer is the only one that really managed to (I'm still going through Pentiment). I think the slightly basic nature of the game actually works to its credit. All you can do is run around the island checking for clues and talk to the characters. It just lets you as a player put things together at your own pace as if you were a real detective, which a lot of these games don't let you do. If someone claims something, you can often just check to see if it lines up with the evidence and what the other characters have said, eventually arriving at the truth. Also, the setting is gloriously bizarre and hosed up, and the characters are as well. It's a really great time.

1. Death Stranding - I enjoyed delivering parcels the most out of this game. I almost felt bad because every time I engaged with the combat it always surprised me by how many options you have and how well done it was but I mostly just ran away or immediately dropkicked everything because I didn't want to risk my precious, precious cargo. Eventually I just built a massive zipline network so I could deliver everything in perfect condition and laugh at the stupid bandits and ghosts impotently shaking their fists at me. The storyline is completely bonkers of course, which was naturally also a highlight but I thought the themes were genuinely touching and the soundtrack was astounding. I really enjoyed the community aspect of helping other players, it's basically a positive version of the Dark Souls invasion system.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Dec 27, 2022

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I gamed a lot less this year than last so itends to be biased toward big recent titles more than usual, sorry.

There were two common themes that cropped up a lot in these games: cringe and mastery. A lot of games made go "augh o god" and shrivel up, and a lot of games made me feel like I was improving and learning all the time as a player, even if I never quite mastered them I did at least develop some amount of mastery of them. So I've given all the games a score on those metrics with an explanation for each. Those scores do not have any linear relationship to the game's place in the rankings.

10. Against the Storm

I like survival city builders like Frostpunk and Banished. The trouble is that most are too easy and that you spend most of the game outside of the “survival” period and in the “running up the score” period. Not so in Against the Storm! Building a city tends to be a fast affair in ATS – the game isn’t framing this as building new cities but building temproary resource extraction camps in order to marshal supplies to the ACTUAL city and survive horrifying megahurricanes. The running up the score period of a round of ATS is typically like 2 minutes, most of the game is in scrappy survival and unlike nearly every other one of these I played I felt a lot of pressure to sometimes just sacrifice people or objectives in the name of survival. Neat! Still EXTREMELY EA, so they could gently caress it all up but well that’s always a risk.

Cringe 1. Honestly not much here, there’s some fantasy stuff that’s a little ehh but honestly it mostly feels good. It’s a very incomplete game though so they could gently caress it up.

Mastery 5. There’s a lot going on here. I felt like this demanded a lot more from me as a city builder than almost any other I’ve played, and its forced me to use a lot of techniques that other games have but were not necessary. Feels good.

9. Neon White

I honestly loved the writing in Neon White. It’s just so thoroughly itself. The gamefeel is, as many have mentioned, phenomenal. I’m terrible at speedrunning but this at least gave me a brief taste of what it could be like.

Cringe 6. Hell yeah its cringe. That’s what makes it good.

Mastery 6. I hardly need to explain to anybody who’s even looked at Neon White what a rush it can be to figure out a new shortcut or even just master a jump you know you CAN do but haven’t pulled off.

8. Dwarf Fortress

Its Dwarf Fortress.

Cringe 3. Explaining this game to other people makes you sound like a raving lunatic. I still manage to, on average, make it sound compelling. But it is ultimately an insane endeavor, and spending so much time carving out bedroom plots and such is not like...its harder to brag about or make interesting than doing Apex poo poo.

Mastery 3. You’d think after like 20 years I’d have learned something. Not really. I’m still flailing about and have to check the wiki for how food works.

7. Apex Legends

In case you are wondering: Grizzly literally hit 1 shot the entire game, a Kraber shot that took out the last opponent

In October I got COVID and this made me stop doing my 2nd favorite hobby, running, so I watched a lot of vtubers and they played a lot of Apex. If you had asked me any time before then if I was interested in Apex I’d say no, I tend to find competitive multiplayer awful for me and I tilt out very easily. Well COVID seems to have given me some sort of brain damage where I’m not tilting as much, I’m just having a good time learning a new game.

Cringe 4. I mean listen to Catalyst, or Revenant, or Loba, or Fuse, or Caustic, or...I mean point is a lot of the characters in this say cringey things. And I have to give this at least a point of cringe for the personal angle of “I got into this from watching vtubers.” Also I mean its like goofy bloodsport c’mon

Mastery 8. The main thing I get out of Apex is a feeling of improvement, not dissimilar to exercise or learning a language. There’s so much to learn and learning it feels rewarding. I am a pretty bad player but I come away from most matches feeling more enlightened, and that’s great.

6. Celdia's Complete Patch v2 for Final Fantasy Tactics

I love FFT, a lot. Turns out that the actual designers were frankly kind of cowards and built a ton of really cool mechanics that just...were not actually useable in base FFT. Recent goon Celdia made a mod for it that does not change any of the story but completely overhauls every class and battle. You end up with insane poo poo like “casting slow on your own units” and “resurrecting with 0 HP” and “change equipment is a godpower” kind of nonsense, it’s fantastic. If you don’t want to play the game or figure out how to mod FFT on an emulator, RosalieA has a fantastic ongoing LP of it: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3881054

Cringe 2. I mean, I’m still kind of not over a game I played at 10 years old, and also not everything in the basic game’s writing is the best, mostly in so far as it drags at points. I actually love FFT’s outer story a lot – people miss this but the real story of FFT is not about a teenage noble rebelling against the church, but about a crank trying to rehabilitate his family name through some Qanon poo poo. Or it might be legit history! It’s very ambiguous if its insane or not. Seems insane, but there’s enough context missing that maybe demons and wizards are real, I don’t know. I think the OG translation remains brilliant but that isn't the same as flawless (I like a lot of the flaws to be clear, that's what reading history is like).

Mastery 7. There’s so much going on here. Celdia made a loving killer improvement on FFT’s gameplay. If like me you’ve been enchanted by FFT as a game since you were a kid, you owe it to yourself to play CCP.

5. Age of Empires 4

Age of Empires I was a critical moment in my own gaming, because before then I didn’t play games, I watched my brothers play games. AOE was what really got me to play games, RTS is really my core genre. I wasn’t expecting a lot from AOE4, it didn’t get like tons of great reviews. I feel like that was a bit of an injustice, AOE4 is almost certainly my favorite AOE, drawing more from AOM than from AOE2 or 3. It hits a really sweet spot between “macro is all that matters” and “just plain annoying amounts of micro (AOE2’s problem IMO). I don’t think its visual design is as strong as AOE1, but its game feel is fantastic and I honestly think their way of designing unit counters has hit a level of quality and excitement AOE never had and only ever RON approached. It plays closer to my rose-colored childhood memories of AOE1 & 2 than how those games actually play when I went back to them as an adult.

Cringe 4. 4. Frankly I am quite harsh on the “historical societies have eternal, mechanical souls that always iterate out through their actions regardless of environment or events.” I know that’s like the industry standard and its not generally regarded as a problem, but it offends my historian sensibilities a thousand times worse than any given factual inaccuracy could. Also I feel like the way China is implemented is weird, like is the implication that the Siege of Xiangyang or Battle of Lake Poyang or the degradation of the Late Ming because of building projects? I know I'm an old man yelling at clouds but at this point you signed up for my cloud opinions newsletter so you get what you pay for.

Mastery 6. Like I said the unit balance in this is finally complex enough to matter in an interesting way – most base builder RTS you just specialize in a special unit and then try to exploit it to the hilt. While this happens in certain balance environments (when I played the issue was HRE men at arms), it’s very openly considered a problem instead of just an intractable part of the game. Every nation has reason to build every unit, there are no real balance orphans, which is an incredible accomplishment and feels really FUN to go through a game doing a lot of ballet around unit selection.

4. Opus Magnum

It's Opus Magnum.

Cringe 0. I guess I’ve managed to make people cringe by my low-cost solution to making gold from lead that takes 3000 cycles, but mostly its just enchanting and pure. Not for the faint of heart: https://i.imgur.com/pzDY1tz.mp4

Mastery 10. This is the only game on the planet that actually makes me feel smart (OK arguably spacechem and exapunks but I’m much worse at those). Perhaps the only activity on the entire planet that has made me feel like I’m ACTUALLY solving a problem with my brain rather than creating new ones.

Get In The Car Loser

I’ve been a big fan of Christine Love since Digital, and GITCL continues to deliver. It’s both an incredibly funny political allegory, a haunting story about personal growth, and a great meditation on relating our histories to our actions.

Cringe 6. Sam rules and she cannot loving stop making herself the butt of the joke, and I personally loved the ways in which Sam could repeatedly not figure out the line between “self-deprecating joke that your friends are in on” and “self-deprecating joke that just make your friends annoyed/worried.” Big loving mood there Sam.

Mastery 5. I really liked learning the various systems and how they interacted. Unfortunately the DLC items were really outsize contributors to the depth, without them a lot of the combos are a bit stale. It got really cool and exhilarating as I got better at and I’m REALLY excited for future DLC.

2. Pentiment

My only interaction with Josh Sawyer was him recommending me studies of Flemish manuscripts for improving my calligraphy. That is how insanely laser focused this game is on my interests. I don’t even know what to do with this information.

Cringe 2. I get so delighted just by watching the ink settling effect that I sometimes struggle to pay attention to what’s happening in game. I do wonder how people who aren’t versed in the area felt about it, like as soon as I saw the opening date I felt anxious. How much is that a Eurocentric bias? Am I being an rear end in a top hat just by being invested in that? IDK

Mastery 2. I haven’t actually gotten very far in it and as mentioned I’m very distracted by the surface trappings.

1. Perfect Tides

Meredith Gran wrote a game that is on par with her work on OP. Her coming into game writing feels profoundly unfair. I can hardly add to all the millions of words said about this other than that I actually found Mara very hard to relate to, but I also found something incredibly haunting and beautiful about her ability to convert ambiguity into rage. It's almost impossible to express how good some of the moments in this game are, just an absolute masterpiece of elegance, not surprising given the artist but individual lines, faces, two frame animations that convey more than some entire games can. Lots of mundane moments just loving PIERCED through with incredible meditations, and the game never really loses sight of the fact that Mara is, above all else, a teenager, so just incredible thoughts that are so jejune...just incredible. I don't think I can write a summary of this that is going to be shorter or easier than just playing the game. The release trailer by itself is one of my favorite movies of the year. https://vimeo.com/668990282

Cringe 10. You thought Neon White was cringe? Buddy. Perfect Tides regularly made me want to die. Mara’s behavior on Sukkot was so cringe that I involuntarily gasped like 10 times.

Mastery 0. I do not understand point and click adventures, I did not learn a loving thing playing this.

e. Short form:

10. Against the Storm
9. Neon White
8. Dwarf Fortress
7. Apex Legends
6. Celdia's Complete Patch v2
5. Age of Empires IV
4. Opus Magnum
3. Get In The Car Loser
2. Pentiment
1. Perfect Tides

Tulip fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Dec 26, 2022

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

Tulip posted:

6. Celdia's Complete Patch v2

This sounds amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

FlowerRhythmREMIX posted:

This sounds amazing.

It's so loving good and she's making a 3rd. It was also great reading RosalieA's LP because she and I had such different perspectives on a lot of it (for one, I thought the Butler was incredible, and she thought it was just a bad Homemaker, and she had trouble using Tactician while I had trouble holding back from using it all the time; at the same time, we both agreed that Green Mage was incredible while the people on the FFHactics forum thought Green Mage was a boring tax to pay to get to Red Mage).