Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Look at me! Look at me! I'm the goon who hates anything popular! I'm so edgy! I'm so cool! Look at me, I'm better than you because I hate the thing most people enjoy! Look at me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Kragger99 posted:

Look at me! Look at me! I'm the goon who hates anything popular! I'm so edgy! I'm so cool! Look at me, I'm better than you because I hate the thing most people enjoy! Look at me!

Bad post op

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Kragger99 posted:

drat jack trades you look different today

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
youre all goons

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

egs is only drm free in the sense that they didnt bother creating a native option for devs to use, they can still package whatever external drm they want with the games. its like saying steam is drm free because some games on the platform dont implement any checkls and can be played without steam running.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

If you think the first god of war is plodding don't play the second one. The pacing is a disaster in that game.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

there's a difference in that steamworks APIs require steam to be running, but the equivalent EOS APIs don't require EGS to be running since EOS is designed to work across storefronts

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

repiv posted:

there's a difference in that steamworks APIs require steam to be running, but the equivalent EOS APIs don't require EGS to be running since EOS is designed to work across storefronts
This is what I meant, I didn't mean the games didn't use third party DRM, I just meant they didn't necessarily require the store to be running but seems like there are exceptions.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Kragger99 posted:

"The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Video Games > Steam Megathread: Look at me! Look at me! I'm the goon who hates anything popular! I'm so edgy! I'm so cool! Look at me, I'm better than you because I hate the thing most people enjoy! Look at me!"

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

Objective Action posted:

:bubblewoop: Merry Christmas goons. It's that time again to dump some random steam keys on you all! This time with some actual good games hiding in there! :bubblewoop:

Dishonor?d B5033-I66DI-?33MY

Thanks! Grabbed this one.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Lmao they changed their minds about free Death Stranding apparently

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Kojima Major NPC: I am the real Norman Reedus your double secret brother from the Super Baby Method and the Large Hadron Collider let me go back in time to become Mitochondrial Adam. I love kaiju movies and craft beer.
Me: This is very bad. Maybe in a good way?

Kojima Minor NPC: Greetings, I am Bugs Chungus. I am the world's foremost expert on beetles. This is a male Elephant Beetle, the world's heaviest insect. I will now describe the life cycle of this beetle and how I believe beetles are the true dominant species on Earth for two hours.
Me: This is the greatest thing of all time. Give me three hours you son of a bitch.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Either they ran out already or more likely they’re trying to fix it and pulled the free price tags temporarily to do so

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

repiv posted:

it's the directors cut :monocle: i assumed they would give away the base game and try to upsell the directors cut upgrade

It's a trick, it takes you to the directors cut which is 40% off, the base game which is supposed to be free is completely unavailable.

This is some pretty dirty pool on epic's part, who are normally straight up generous with their giveaways

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Dec 25, 2022

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

Lmao they changed their minds about free Death Stranding apparently

I got it twice. lol

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's buggy and overloaded. just wait a couple hours.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

F.D. Signifier posted:

It's a trick, it takes you to the directors cut which is 40% off, the base game which is supposed to be free is completely unavailable.

This is some pretty dirty pool on epic's par, who are normally straight up generous with their giveaways

i got the directors cut for free, it showing up as paid again is probably a glitch from the servers melting down

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

If you even sort of like Kojima stuff, flaws and all, I’d really recommend death stranding. It’s weird and dumb and I loved 90% of it outside of Mama’s entire story.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I played a bit of it on gamepass. I'm just worried that it's going to be like MGSV for me, where I really enjoy the standard gameplay but end up hating all the set pieces and magical poo poo that happens. If MGSV was nothing but just loving around in the 80s and shooting dudes, I'd probably still be playing it, but I kept running into stupid set pieces and boss fights that weren't fun.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

the frontpage now links to the base edition of the game, which is free, instead of the directors cut, which is now 40% off

did they initially give away the directors cut by accident lol

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

thanks objective action for crown trick, a game i was just about to pay monye for!

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

god of war 18 may has well have been an interactive movie, its storytelling was better handled than actual gameplay, some really well directed cutscenes and boring everything else. a slog until you get the original chains and even then combat never feels all that satisfying. major lack of enemy variety and bosses get reused. the pathing of the levels was just kind of irritating because of having to be designed for the over the shoulder camera so it's a lot of basic-rear end narrow lanes and small caves outside of the combat areas. also the loving riddles lol. real kindergartner-level joke book stuff. the boat trip waaayyy too long. what else what else *thumbs through index cards* the crawling through dark caves, happened a lot, honestly idk if the one-single-shot thing ultimately was worth it when having cut transitions could have cut down on some of the tedium

this is just pulling from memory though, i played it back in february, but god of snore, imo, is what i'm thinking in my opinion

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Dec 25, 2022

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

F.D. Signifier posted:

The server is just having a meltdown. Refresh a few times and it should change over.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Cojawfee posted:

I played a bit of it on gamepass. I'm just worried that it's going to be like MGSV for me, where I really enjoy the standard gameplay but end up hating all the set pieces and magical poo poo that happens. If MGSV was nothing but just loving around in the 80s and shooting dudes, I'd probably still be playing it, but I kept running into stupid set pieces and boss fights that weren't fun.

I literally just skipped all the cutscenes to get to the road buildin' part of the game and had a blast with it for a while. I didn't end up finishing it because I ran into a game breaking bug which corrupted my save because I looked at some farm equipment once and didn't want to go back and lose a bunch of progress grabbing an earlier save. I did also hate the boss fights though. I really just wanted a sandbox mode that let me do the connecting stuff and not so much the story and boss fight stuff.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i really like the "one-shot" thing in first person games especially when you have lovingly crafted first person scenes of operating switches/buttons/computers

Ajax 99
Jul 14, 2006
Kibbles 'n bits? I think not!
Buglord

Objective Action posted:

Stea?th Inc 2 I?WCN-DIV2Q-RQIMH

Got this one, thank you!

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Kragger99 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rc4CPnf5KYk

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
I only got it by adding to cart first and then checking out.
That cart finally came in handy.
Doesnt show in my library but says I own it if I try and claim again.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Sensenmann posted:

I got it twice. lol

The second one is two add-ons. Same thing happened to me.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I'm pretty salty about missing the Director's Cut.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Kragger99 posted:

there's nothing wrong with being basic but you're lashing out. merry christmas

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

Dementropy posted:

The second one is two add-ons. Same thing happened to me.

Yeah, just noticed this as well.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

repiv posted:

the frontpage now links to the base edition of the game, which is free, instead of the directors cut, which is now 40% off

did they initially give away the directors cut by accident lol

Looks like. And I was just an hour too late to get it. Whelp :smith:

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

I'm pretty salty about missing the Director's Cut.

I know how you feel, but at least now we can try the original game for free to decide if we're interested in the director's cut.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I don’t even hate GOW 2018, in face I think it’s fine. It just never gets better than fine

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

repiv posted:

it's the directors cut :monocle: i assumed they would give away the base game and try to upsell the directors cut upgrade

Came here to complain about it showing Unavailable for me :argh: but as I was looking at the page it changed over to Get Game. Now I'm getting a bunch of network errors, probably from their servers getting slammed. Don't these loving gamers have anything better to do on xmas morning??? Oh... oh no... it's me I'm the monster :ohdear:

e:
Christ finally got it to go through:

In other news, I had a pretty good time with GoW '18. All the complaints about the pacing and repetitive combat/enemies and endless masked loading screens are valid, but the story/characters were pretty great and there was some fun to be had if you got deep enough into the combat system.

Ragnarok is more of the same, but not quite as good. It feels like somewhat less than the sum of its parts. Still a pretty easy rec if you liked '18 though.

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Dec 25, 2022

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

loving lmao @ them accidentally giving away Director's Cut. That store is a loving joke.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Cojawfee posted:

You will have issues with DS but a lot of your complaint is very front and back loaded. What most people like (hauling boxes, building roads) is not too badly uninterrupted.

It crams a lot of the really bad stuff into the last few chapters.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Jack Trades posted:

loving lmao @ them accidentally giving away Director's Cut. That store is a loving joke.

I was even sitting here on this PC at exactly 10:00, I just didn't think to check the store until noon :smithicide:

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
I actually liked the story, it just has Kojima's terrible pacing and Kojima's typical overexplaining. But I guess you have to just accept that if you want to have Kojima's awesome ideas. And the gameplay is great, building a zipline network in the mountains was just sublime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
learning about all the wordplay and entendres in death stranding's lines that got totally lost in translation still has me steamed (especially in fragile's dialogue), but then i don't know how many exist in the ENG version that wouldn't have mapped as well to the JP version

the man's too punny