Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.
It's like driving. By default it's the car behinds fault.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
It only bothers me if the ogyn player walks through me and stops directly in front of my gun as I was shooting a few dozen gunners and the ult drops from not keeping up the killstreak, that's always a annoyance in multiplayer shooters where teammates don't block movement but do block bullets and sometimes you don't even realize you are doing it.

Alternatively, play psyker or flamethrower zealot and learn to love the ogyn meatshields.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

dogstile posted:

Anyone can push a burster, ogryns just the only one who can do it safely in pubs because nobody can shoot through him.

*pats plasma gun* Nobody, you say?

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

deep dish peat moss posted:

I like playing Ogryn but I absolutely hate playing with Ogryn on my team. If they're not bodyblocking my shots and LoS constantly they're knocking down everything I'm aiming at, making me miss plasmagun shots, scattering hordes I have under control, etc.

Everything that they're good at is also something that's as annoying as possible to have on your side as one of their teammates. Like, they have a lot of powerful CC options (knockdown with the charge, punches, etc) except this game is all about funneling everything into meatgrinder chokepoints, and CC options only make that harder to do by scattering enemies, making them approach in uneven/unexpected rhythms, etc.

They disrupt the rhythm and pacing of enemies (and LoS) too often to be a good fit for this game :argh:

e: There are good Ogryn too but they are entirely forgettable because a Good Ogryn is one that never enters my FoV to do something remarkably dumb :colbert:

I mean, yeah I'm familiar with the idea of pushing a poxburster. But if I'm dead set on gunning one down, imo give me the benefit of the doubt that I know what I'm doing and have the juice to kill it. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. If the Ogryn's wrong, we both blow up.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

deep dish peat moss posted:

I like playing Ogryn but I absolutely hate playing with Ogryn on my team. If they're not bodyblocking my shots and LoS constantly they're knocking down everything I'm aiming at, making me miss plasmagun shots, scattering hordes I have under control, etc.

I agree with the general sentiment, although I don’t feel quite as strongly about it. My big pet peeve are the Ogryn who use the Grenade Gauntlet as anything other than a precision tool to delete dangerous individual targets. Scattering hordes and tossing still-living poxwalkers behind us is actively harmful. Killing random groaners that are standing in our path wastes ammo and throws out big explosion and smoke graphics that make it difficult to see shooters and other priority targets beyond. People only need to spend a couple minutes in the training room to realize the concussive blast only does 10 damage.

Also annoying are shield Ogryn who decide to plant with their special when it’s not warranted... and 98% of the time it’s not warranted. It can be a handy tool, but it’s typically very specialized to when you’re caught out of position, there’s literally no cover and you’re just trying to buy some time for a charge or something. If there are melee enemies at a choke then just contribute damage with fast swings or stagger elites with heavies.

And of course everyone’s bane is the frontline Ogryn with no spatial awareness. Look guys, you don’t need to have top-tier team tracking to avoid this, just be consistent and considerate with your positioning. Always hug the right side of a hallway for example, and try to get behind a group of enemies so they remain valid targets. Your ranged teammates can adapt, but not if it’s constant guesswork as to where your wide rear end is going to show up next.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I have a pretty good chainsword on my Zealot I've been wanting to try as an alternate to the meta and with the bleed on crit/toughness resist on bleed feats, it's been a fun thing to try. I wouldn't take it into diff 4 without significantly better rolls, but since chainsword gets finesse as one of its stats, I've just been mashing left-click on mobs to surprisingly good effect and only needing to do heavies on really, really thick waves.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Just tried to login and check the store in honor of Santa and couldn't load into the hub. Alt-f4'd out.

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009

Thanks Santa

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Jesus, managed to pull off a diff 4 train run, hi intensity, full scrip despite the near-endless hordes and a near-wipe at the end. Did this through the magical power of the zealot crusher, and literally stunlocking entire hordes of both trash and elites just by spamming the charged attack until things were dead or my teammates cleaned up. The near-wipe was fuckin' stupid; I cozied up into a corner where assholes couldn't shoot me and literally spammed my way to all my teammates' respawns, and after that we stacked into the train and let everyone come to us because staying outside was basically Omaha Beach. Merry Christmas.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Is there a downside to mapping crouch and dodge to the same button? I like the slidely dodge.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Magitek posted:

I People only need to spend a couple minutes in the training room to realize the concussive blast only does 10 damage.

Here’s your problem.

Your average pub never goes back in there beyond the mandatory tutorial.

The game is actively terrible at communicating what weapons do and it’s likely they think they’re killing all those guys with the AoE toss. It doesn’t make them any less wrong, but expecting pubs to test weapons in the training room isn’t a realistic expectation.

I mean it would be nice if they did, but they’re not going to.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
If someone doesn't realise that they can hit a group 10 times, not kill anyone, then not realising that its not really a big damaging weapon, i'm not sure you can help them

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

I do kind of question why damage values can't be visible outside of the testing chamber.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

dogstile posted:

If someone doesn't realise that they can hit a group 10 times, not kill anyone, then not realising that its not really a big damaging weapon, i'm not sure you can help them

Unless you're solo there's very little feedback on whether you or your teammates are killing things when it comes to skills that aren't super obvious (i.e. single target kills). Again, the fact that they took away the post-game scoreboard from VT2 means you don't even get to look and go "holy poo poo I only killed 100 enemies? WTF."

I just launched a grenade into a bunch of zombies, and they all rag-dolled and flew everywhere! Must be dead!

It's not an insane assumption if you're a fairly casual player.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

I've never been concerned about the scoreboard in V2, I understand why they cut it, I do feel teammates are a bit more co-operative and stick together in DT than VT. Having said that, that may be because of the many other mechanical changes - free heal on revive, cohesion, ammo coming in portions rather than all at once, teamwide consumables rather than individual, and so forth. I'm curious if a scoreboard would really bring back the kill chasing mentality.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

skaianDestiny posted:

If nothing else I'm glad Fatshark gave us a butch woman character creator.

This might be the first multiplayer game where the men are prettier than the women. This is not a criticism, although it does result in 90% of female player characters having the same face (you know the one).

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

Kith posted:

game needs a lot of things from to be DRG

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
Just managed to get On Overwatch without trying. Being on a good team and learning when to block and push goes a long way. If you're trying for the penance, you CAN get hit in melee, as long as it doesn't damage your health.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I love how a lot of these Ogryn complaints seem to boil down to “ get out of the way so the vet can do everything “.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I mean, the ogyn is more than welcome to try and take down 40 gunners all hiding behind different bits of cover himself.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I mean, the ogyn is more than welcome to try and take down 40 gunners all hiding behind different bits of cover himself.

Sounds more fun than standing aside while the vet does everything with their stupidly overpowered infinite 50% damage boost + X-ray vision + weak spot damage bonus + 75% ranged damage reduction fast recharging I-win button.

The more I play the more I realize how nuts the balancing is in this game.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I love how a lot of these Ogryn complaints seem to boil down to “ get out of the way so the vet can do everything “.

Yeah pretty much. poo poo happens and I am twice the size of you so there may be times where what you perceive as me blocking your way is actually me trying to survive or get into position for another threat you don't see yet. You definitely have to consider where your teammates are as Ogryn to try and stay out of the way but I can't always be aware of where my teammates sightlines are or who you are intending on shooting at any given time, especially when there's a horde bearing down on the team. Like just move a foot over and keep shooting or pick a different target.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Don't kill my brain burst targets, don't stand between me and the enemy, waaah waaaah waaah sorry I can't hear you, too busy having fun

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
Ogryns can do whatever they want as long as they keep me alive and carry my bags for me onto the dropship when we're done.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
Lmao me playing Zealot absolutely loving my Ogryn pals.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Only vets complain about ogryns which is fine because they need the game artificially more difficult to make it fair. gently caress em.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Been using this on my zealot

It melts Bulwarks, you hit the shield a few times and they get max bleed stacks for 160 a tick, a bit of light spam will open their guard up too.

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

If the vet can't shoot through the Ogryn he can pick up a voidstaff or stop whining.

I cannot reiterate how much this game needs to let you pick your class & loadout during the ready screen or load-in screen so you aren't the lone vet trying to shoot enemies through the armpits of 3 Ogryns or the lone purgatus staff psyker in a team with 3 flamethrower priests.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
It's nearly impossible to make friends with people in this game. As in, you can't send invites at the end of a mission, or party up, or do anything to connect with people you had a good time with. I guess I can search for their username on Steam, but come on...

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Typical Pubbie posted:

It's nearly impossible to make friends with people in this game. As in, you can't send invites at the end of a mission, or party up, or do anything to connect with people you had a good time with. I guess I can search for their username on Steam, but come on...

Go into social and the recent tab. You can send friend requests from there.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

S.J. posted:

Go into social and the recent tab. You can send friend requests from there.

Most players never show up there for me. If I'm lucky they'll be in the same Mourningstar instance as I am after the mission.

Typical Pubbie fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Dec 25, 2022

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
It's always hilarious to start a mission and find that there's already another 2 or 3 Ogryns, fatboy squadron is a lot of fun. Makes me want to buy some bullgryns to build and paint. Too bad I don't play imperial guard

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

The Atomic Man-Boy posted:

If the vet can't shoot through the Ogryn he can pick up a voidstaff or stop whining.

I cannot reiterate how much this game needs to let you pick your class & loadout during the ready screen or load-in screen so you aren't the lone vet trying to shoot enemies through the armpits of 3 Ogryns or the lone purgatus staff psyker in a team with 3 flamethrower priests.

Yeah. You actually can change gear on the ready screen, but I usually quick-join and only see that screen briefly if ever. I think it would be better if you could swap gear while still in drop-off area. Not sure how to handle it for joining mid-round though.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

They're hiding behind cover because I'm suppressing them all :smug:

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

A lot of the so-and-so is in my way stuff boils down to a group of people moving around the map in a giant stack. Like there are going to be times where only two people can effectively engage - if you're in a corridor or doorway for instance, two people are going to get left out if you're all determined to stay in the bottleneck. And the reason why that bottleneck is preferable is because the same ogryn that's standing in your way is also keeping melee dudes from reaching you. I realize pubs are poo poo and I'm sure there are plenty of players who had no idea they're standing in your line of sight, but I also think if you want good sightlines, you need a different vector, you can't really expect to do it from behind the ogryn, no matter how considerate they are.

EDIT: Also the ogryn gets a lot of poo poo for this but I've noticed a lot of psykers running around back and forth in front of me trying to get lightning on everybody and it's just as annoying and the solution is the same.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

S.J. posted:

They're hiding behind cover because I'm suppressing them all :smug:

Hope they fix dreg shooters being unsupressable soon. I imagine itll help with the enemy ranged being so deadly

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

drat Dirty Ape posted:

My zealot would also like to be able to shoot at a special occasionally.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

dogstile posted:

My zealot would also like to be able to shoot at a special occasionally.

nothing better than whipping out your revolver and having an ogryn block your view with his dump truck rear end. Revolver shoots through so i usually just blind fire.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Dandywalken posted:

Hope they fix dreg shooters being unsupressable soon. I imagine itll help with the enemy ranged being so deadly

Working as intended, actually

quote:

Got confirmation from devs that this all seems to be working correctly. Thank you for your report either way, the behaviour of these enemies can still be tweaked based on performance data and feedback if there seems to be a need for it.

I love how there's no reasoning or thought process given as to why it's intended that the untrained, unarmored troops are less vulnerable to supression, just that it is, but feel free to keep complaining and we might change it!

https://forums.fatsharkgames.com/t/suppression-not-working-correctly-in-some-all-cases-such-as-dregs-w-video-evidence/60201

Fishstick fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Dec 25, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carew
Jun 22, 2006

Fishstick posted:

Working as intended, actually

I love how there's no reasoning or thought process given as to why it's intended that the untrained, unarmored troops are less vulnerable to supression, just that it is, but feel free to keep complaining and we might change it!

https://forums.fatsharkgames.com/t/suppression-not-working-correctly-in-some-all-cases-such-as-dregs-w-video-evidence/60201

why is this game like this