Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Midnight Voyager posted:

I don't know how to explain to you the idea that people being annoying can make you annoyed at the thing they are being annoying about. It's really simple psychology. I'd love to not be annoyed by it, because I was interested in playing it!

Yeah I tried really hard to get my friends to play Undertale when I first booted it up, cause I knew that the kind of people they find insufferable will stick themselves to it and they'd never play it, even though its a wonderful project with a lot of heart. They didn't, and they never will now

Luckily I was interested in DE when it was all about how fascinating it will be to have the world primarily described to you through a dialogue with your skills and was able to get people on that train before the game's goofy, political and goofy political stuff got popular. It's an astounding game that makes a lot of very interesting gameplay choices that I think every RPG that comes after it will be leaving truly amazing material on the table if they ignore what it did, but I can totally understand someone being like "loving oh my god stop showing me the communist thought in the thought cabinet"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Midnight Voyager posted:

I'm not an idiot, man, I'm sure those jokes could potentially be funny. I was interested in Disco Elysium, I just didn't have money to purchase it... until people developed in me a Pavlovian response to images of how the conversations look! I know it's not rational, but now literally just seeing a conversation from that game irritates me mildly. This isn't from twitter, it's people in a Discord server I hang out with. It ended up with a specific channel for the game because people wouldn't quit pasting screenshots.

I don't know how to explain to you the idea that people being annoying can make you annoyed at the thing they are being annoying about. It's really simple psychology. I'd love to not be annoyed by it, because I was interested playing it!?"

I too develop the pavlovian response to be mad about something because people are enjoying it A lot and talking others about it because I am also a terminal grump.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

I found some of brutalfoods' mall review videos, as well as his roadtrip video, and this has reawakened my desire for more videos like that.

Apropos the first, does anyone know of a good creator who does mall reviews?
And apropos the second, does anyone have some good roadtrip videos in the style of brutalfoods' video?

https://www.youtube.com/@RetailArchaeology

This dude is alright, though I don't follow him super closely.

PiratePrentice
Oct 29, 2022

by Hand Knit

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I too develop the pavlovian response to be mad about something because people are enjoying it A lot and talking others about it because I am also a terminal grump.

Yeah it's always just seemed like a different form of hating things because they're popular but justifying it in a sightly different way.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Things can develop embarrassing fans that drive context-less jokes into the ground and spoil all the interesting things in the most badly-explained ways. We are posting on the SA forums right now ffs.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

tolkien ruled

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

The way the terminally online ultracringe talk about Disco Elysium never stopped me from playing it. Talking about it online, sure, but I still played the hell out of it.

Edit: didn't mean to quote that lol

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

DeafNote posted:

Maybe showing some Undertale fanworks will cure that.
yes let's do that

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost
Remember when Hbomberguy condemmed fandoms in his Undertale video?

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
It wasn't even the cringe for me. It seems like some pieces of media cause people to not understand that other people don't also get it without having experienced it. It's wild that Grondoth's "the world primarily described to you through a dialogue with your skills" is the clearest explanation I've gotten from anyone talking about the game. It's much more interesting to hear people talk about how it worked for them than to see a screenshot, not get it, and have the other person just say "come on why haven't you played the game yet?"

It's just an awful sell! It clearly doesn't sell well in out of context screenshots. And if I don't enjoy what I'm seeing, why would I play the game? I've played many games that people have gushed at me over. It's not that it's popular, it's that people are just The Worst about selling it.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Midnight Voyager posted:

It wasn't even the cringe for me. It seems like some pieces of media cause people to not understand that other people don't also get it without having experienced it. It's wild that Grondoth's "the world primarily described to you through a dialogue with your skills" is the clearest explanation I've gotten from anyone talking about the game. It's much more interesting to hear people talk about how it worked for them than to see a screenshot, not get it, and have the other person just say "come on why haven't you played the game yet?"

It's just an awful sell! It clearly doesn't sell well in out of context screenshots.

If people were posting a lot of screenshots between each other in a discord it wasn't trying to sell you the concept of the game they were just sharing something they were enjoying amongst each other.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

If people were posting a lot of screenshots between each other in a discord it wasn't trying to sell you the concept of the game they were just sharing something they were enjoying amongst each other.

What is it when one person posts screenshots, the only responses are "I don't understand," and the other person then just says to play the game? And then they do it again.

There wasn't any "between each other" or "amongst each other".

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Best way I can describe Disco Elysium is it's a game about failure and how you can derive joy, triumph, pathos and anger from it. Since it's a RPG you often get to choose which emotions you get from that failure and how it defines you. That's the strongest thing about it. Yeah, it's funny posting contextless screenshots of certain scenes to show you glimpses of something people found hilarious about it but it's a game that can be somewhat hard to describe as to why it's so compelling without spoiling anything or having a visual aid to back up your claim. It's a game about communism and how essential it is to existence but you don't have to be a communist to enjoy it.

(You totally should be a communist, tho)

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Midnight Voyager posted:

It's just an awful sell! It clearly doesn't sell well in out of context screenshots. And if I don't enjoy what I'm seeing, why would I play the game? I've played many games that people have gushed at me over. It's not that it's popular, it's that people are just The Worst about selling it.

If you want a short description: it's a third person isometric detective mystery RPG. You can't really gently caress up, even on missed dice rolls, but your stats and the associated skills you raise will alter dialog prompts and open up different solutions to problems as different skills interject to suggest things to you.

The different stats are basically 4 different detective archetypes: big-brain-crime-solving-computer cop (like Sherlock Holmes), emotionally-intelligent-weirdo cop (like Agent Dale Cooper), muscle-noir cop (like Sam Vimes or X 1930s/40s detective of your choice), and stylish cop (idk the Miami Vice guys I guess.) It's just fun watching the game play out in different ways depending on what skills you focus on.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

It's like all those crpgs people recommend for their writing but without the massive caveat of bad combat you want to avoid as much as possible

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Motto posted:

It's like all those crpgs people recommend for their writing but without the massive caveat of bad combat you want to avoid as much as possible

this was always great with Alpha Protocol. half the time i saw people recommend it with: it's a great game, just make sure you use the character build that trivializes the awful combat as much as possible!

(i really liked Alpha Protocol)

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

it's the only crpg I've found to be better written then Planescape Torment.

I do love the irony of a game hated for becoming the personality of online communists inspiring conversation about how good the game is. :angel:

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I got annoyed at how hard people shilled The Witcher 3 and Hollow Knight , but those both turned out to be great games. I'm sure DE will also be good when I get around to it.

In general people don't really get annoying about mediocre things. If people are obsessed with something there's probably something there.

mycot fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Dec 25, 2022

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
Yeah my elevator pitch for Disco Elysium is basically "what if Planescape Torment didn't have combat and was set in post-communist Europe, starring a cop who got so wasted he caused his own amnesia."

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Disco Elysium is really good and imo it should be played irrespective of weird internet nerds who talk about it too much.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Sydin posted:

Disco Elysium is really good and imo it should be played irrespective of weird internet nerds who talk about it too much.

yeah, same with the toby fox games etc. i get the whole "the fans are annoying" bit but having the ability to ignore that and just play it for yourself is a nice sense to develop

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Nuns with Guns posted:

You can't really gently caress up, even on missed dice rolls
The first thing I did in game was fail a dice roll and die to a ceiling fan.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Ghostlight posted:

You hosed up by setting your health at 1, not the die roll itself.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Ghostlight posted:

lmao

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Nuns with Guns posted:

You hosed up by setting your health at 1, not the die roll itself.
Sounds like a real gently caress up to me.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

Midnight Voyager posted:

i dont really get why people are jumping up your rear end for this. there are series i wont watch or games i wont play bc the entire thing has been revealed to me in gifsets and clips and screenshots so any novelty has been prematurely sucked out of it. or because trying to find discussions about them that arent infantile or repetitive or boring will prove to be near impossible.

a VERY trusted friend bought DE for me and if all i had to go on were the smarmy communism quotes (which are almost entirely divorced from context) picked by tasteless morons i would also be hesitant to jump into it.

like i dont think its a weird concept to paint fandom with a broad brush based on personal experience lol. how many ppl wanted to strangle the rick and morty evangelists on their heyday

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Feels Villeneuve posted:

yeah, same with the toby fox games etc. i get the whole "the fans are annoying" bit but having the ability to ignore that and just play it for yourself is a nice sense to develop

I think it's really ironic that the event that's supposed to cap off an experience of steadily increasing misery that the game is basically screaming at you the whole time about how you shouldn't be doing it is now probably one of the most recognizable parts of Undertale thanks to fan creations. It's an interesting game because it demands you to engage with it on a metatextual level, but the thing that it's asking you to never do is the thing the fans have popularized the most. Murdering your way through all the fun monsters until the world is empty and lifeless, killing all the likable characters as they show off their most admirable traits, and then having to confront the funny pun skeleton who does everything he can to stop you is very much not supposed to be what you do. But the Sans fight is probably one of the most recognizable events in the game now that like billions of people have watched animations of it.

Famethrowa posted:

I do love the irony of a game hated for becoming the personality of online communists inspiring conversation about how good the game is. :angel:

It's a very good game. It becoming the personality of a whole sect of Too Online people is a tragic fate that it doesn't deserve to suffer.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Ghostlight posted:

Sounds like a real gently caress up to me.

I meant like "you can't gently caress up trying something, even on a failed dice roll." But okay, no, I was not accounting for a case where you set your red attribute at 1 or your purple attribute at 1 and therefore only have 1 physical/mental health. Honestly though, I think the fan is meant to be a demonstration in the first 5 minutes of the game of what committing to an accidental gimmick run like that will entail. It's a funny death and you can either reload and keep going or back out quick and re-build your character.

There is also another way to actually-gently caress-up in a very edge case I wasn't going to get into because I was trying not to spend too many words explaing the game to someone who said people being weird about the game put them off in the past: I almost soft-locked myself on the second night because I spent too much money on books and board games and was bit short on funds to pay for the room. I was able to sell an antique gun for funds, but if it gets to be too late in the night that the pawn shop closes, then you better have an earlier save because there's no other way to get out of that.

tl;dr: Disco Elysium discriminates against you for being a loving nerd with no money management skills.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Delphisage posted:

Remember when Hbomberguy condemmed fandoms in his Undertale video?

Sometimes Hbomberguy is wrong.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

Twincityhacker posted:

Sometimes Hbomberguy is wrong.

Does that also count for when he said people hate on Tim Buckley for Freudian reasons?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Delphisage posted:

Does that also count for when he said people hate on Tim Buckley for Freudian reasons?

Since that sounds immensely stupid, my guess would be yes

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Youtubers aren't allowed to say stupid wrong things. that's illegal

whatevenis
Jan 1, 2021
I'm sorry, can someone just ban me, it's clear I have a problem of coming into this thread and sulking at it. I'll leave all of you alone. Merry Christmas.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

lol

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

whatevenis posted:

I'm sorry, can someone just ban me, it's clear I have a problem of coming into this thread and sulking at it. I'll leave all of you alone. Merry Christmas.

holy moly, I thought you were joking and looked at your posts, gently caress this is making me sad

Merry Christmas my friend, and try to stay away from this thread for a while

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

whatevenis posted:

settle down lol just chill

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

:( merry christmas sulky goon

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Midnight Voyager posted:

I'm not an idiot, man, I'm sure those jokes could potentially be funny. I was interested in Disco Elysium, I just didn't have money to purchase it... until people developed in me a Pavlovian response to images of how the conversations look! I know it's not rational, but now literally just seeing a conversation from that game irritates me mildly. This isn't from twitter, it's people in a Discord server I hang out with. It ended up with a specific channel for the game because people wouldn't quit pasting screenshots.

I don't know how to explain to you the idea that people being annoying can make you annoyed at the thing they are being annoying about. It's really simple psychology. I'd love to not be annoyed by it, because I was interested in playing it!

Come to think of it, I think you could have a conversation about how the internet just makes it really easy to be annoying about media. You can drown someone in gifs taken from a movie in the time it takes them to go to the bathroom. You can share a screenshot of a funny thing you just saw in game, and it takes so little time that your brain doesn't go "Hey, do they have the slightest chance of understanding this?"

Sounds like you are weak. Try being strong and powerful instead. That’s what I do and I have not had this problem.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
This thread is much better than hearing my dad talk about how he doesn't believe in climate change and my aunt being homophobic. MUCH better!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Midnight Voyager posted:

This thread is much better than hearing my dad talk about how he doesn't believe in climate change and my aunt being homophobic. MUCH better!

I don't believe you