Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

UP AND ADAM posted:

He was funny on Doug loves Movies (remember that show?)

He's a funny, very charismatic guy. He was just easier to appreciate before he went full maniac.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

DangerDummy! posted:

He's a funny, very charismatic guy. He was just easier to appreciate before he went full maniac.

Oh yeah I really liked an ep with him & Pete Holmes where they were so disruptive Doug couldn’t get to the game. It’s like being able to enjoy Blues Brothers as it was made before John Landis did the Very Bad Thing.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

He was great on Silicon Valley. Entirely possible to be funny and a piece of poo poo.

I was going to say like Adam, but from the occasional times I've dipped in to see what's going on in this nightmare world Adam seems to have also stopped being funny when he became trash.

When Pigs Cry
Oct 23, 2012
Buglord
Yeah, I listened to a partial episode when this thread was resurrected and don't even remember an attempt at a joke. He did start the show with like five minutes of pontificating on an episode of Leave it to Beaver, though.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Does Adam still tour with this pervert?

https://twitter.com/JasonSCampbell/status/1580224724122370048

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

That's, uhhhhh...

God drat.

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

Uh

I think he is saying… that the objection to sibling incest is strictly a religious one and that secular objections are only based on the birth defects risks which for some reason he thinks aren’t a big deal. Therefore all you godless people must approve of brother sister loving right?

It’s “checkmate, atheists” stated in the grossest possible way.

It’s the the same weird poo poo where religious fanatics low key admit that were it not for their *deeply held beliefs* and fear of eternal punishment there would be nothing stopping them from murdering people constantly.

:chloe:

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
As Penn Jillette says on this topic, “I have raped and murdered everyone I want to.”

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
This dude also is a big fan of the fellow who thinks that high fiving children is immoral because high fives should be done between peers, and children are never peers to adults

Also explaining things to children is bad because it undermines your authority

Dennis Prager is literally “the world was better in the 1950s” made flesh

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

I’m pretty sure I high fived my kid the moment she was born

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
the ultimate issues hour

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

When Pigs Cry posted:

Yeah, I listened to a partial episode when this thread was resurrected and don't even remember an attempt at a joke. He did start the show with like five minutes of pontificating on an episode of Leave it to Beaver, though.

That's way more original content than the last time I tuned in. He had an interesting guest on Reasonable Doubt, but he started in with Gavin Newsom "big to small, small to big".

JFC GET OVER IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

I'm getting bored of old art bell eps at work, so im thinking about going back through loveline for the first time in a like a decade lol. probably going to start with DAG eps, but id love other recs

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

WEH posted:

I'm getting bored of old art bell eps at work, so im thinking about going back through loveline for the first time in a like a decade lol. probably going to start with DAG eps, but id love other recs

Man I used to love Art Bell but my tolerance for conspiracy theories has dropped pretty severely with the rise of Qanon and all that

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

WEH posted:

I think around 2002-2005 is the greatest stretch of the show, but Adam does start checking out as he approaches the end of his run. Be prepared to hear lots of truly terrible and outdated advice.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Found this playlist of episodes where Adam had horrific gas: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLF616_d_frr8WwNddDu7MTvTWwzbq79xo

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Medullah posted:

Man I used to love Art Bell but my tolerance for conspiracy theories has dropped pretty severely with the rise of Qanon and all that

I’m so glad Dale Gribble’s focus was on wacky aliens and broad prepper stuff like hoarding Mountain Dew, so he isn’t problematic on rewatches

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

I love Art Bell, but I am very glad he checked out when he did. He was already a Trump lover during his Midnight in the Desert run. I honestly think it would break my heart to hear him during the last few years.

bartok
May 10, 2006

DangerDummy! posted:

I love Art Bell, but I am very glad he checked out when he did. He was already a Trump lover during his Midnight in the Desert run. I honestly think it would break my heart to hear him during the last few years.

How bad is Coast to Coast AM with that poo poo now? I miss when conspiracy theories were fun.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

As a dweeb with a phone loaded with old art bell coast to coast episodes, I will testify they have replaced listening to old loveline for me. And I would say they are more fun to listen to in 2022-3 because,
Same level of batshit callers
american small town aesthetics
1990s vibes very far removed from the twisted metal reality of today
Sarcastic, understated, dry wit of host, I would say much better at riffing on callers then Adam Carolla
Less verbal leering on teenagers
Ghosts

But it still scratches the same itch and I do still listen to old loveline. Although yeah the creepiness of the hosts and knowing how they end up in 2022 is a bit rough. Tbh I'm kind of in awe of the often brazenly terrible advice given by grown rear end adults to teens and literally the millions of kids who were listening at the time. America.

On topic, i also found myself in in a strange loop of playing aoe2 and listening to the youtube full episodes of the Adam Carolla show this year and it sucked. Just a continuous string of terrible political hot takes. I wonder what it'd be like to go on one of this cruises and be a super fan.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
The loveline advice is way over the place. I remember it being mostly sound "you are who you are", "your boundaries are your boundaries", and "get that checked out by a Dr." stuff, but going back to some of the really old stuff before the show became popular leads to some :stare: advice on situations that sound like child endangerment. I think alot of stemmed from them not having kids themselves, but maybe I'm an old fart now.

Never listened to coast to coast AM. Where do they have the archives, and any recommendations on episodes?

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

bartok posted:

How bad is Coast to Coast AM with that poo poo now? I miss when conspiracy theories were fun.

lol like I listen to George Snoorey

Honestly though, I might try to get through a couple episodes at some point, because you've got me curious about that now.

Lampsacus posted:

As a dweeb with a phone loaded with old art bell coast to coast episodes

:hfive:

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Never listened to coast to coast AM. Where do they have the archives, and any recommendations on episodes?

Just search Art Bell on Podcast Addict, it's a pretty deep well of crazy poo poo.

His famous episodes are stuff like Al Bielek and the Philadelphia Experiment, all the HAARP stuff (which I personally find very dull, but ymmv). Madman Marcum built his own time machine; those episodes are a lot of fun. Look into the Mel's Hole saga, about a man in the PNW with a bottomless pit on his property who runs afoul of the US government.

Some people like Father Malachi Martin (myself included), and it'll be your jam if you like exorcism stuff. Major Ed Dames is your guy if like a nut predicting the end of the world every 3 months.

I personally can't abide listening to southerners tell stupid ghost stories badly, but his Ghost to Ghost episodes on Halloween are very popular. Just find 10/31 on any given year if that's your thing.

I love EVP episodes with Brendan Cooke and Barbara McBeath. I don't know why, but those are just about my favorite episodes.

One specific episode you should listen to, and probably his most notorious episode ever, was 9/11/97. It was an open line episode with one line in particular set aside for past or present (or future???) employees of Area 51. It's a fun episode overall, but the last half hour goes completely insane. It made every hair on my body stand up the first time I heard it. It's great theater, if nothing else, and one of my favorite (episodes? editions? broadcasts?) in radio history.

I would describe Art himself, but I'd be writing for a couple of hours on that, and it's loving Christmas, so no. He really is one of the best radio broadcasters of all time, in my opinion.

e: if you're a lefty, be forewarned that his political leanings can get a little, uhh... Dicey? He's not Rush or Alex Jones by any means, but his views are definitely a pretty antiquated.

DangerDummy! fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Dec 25, 2022

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

bartok posted:

George Noory gargles balls. Never listen to anything after Art left.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

I have never really listened to the Noory version but my dad does - from what I’ve heard, my impression is that he basically just lets people ramble on about whatever they want with 0 pushback.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

holefoods posted:

I have never really listened to the Noory version but my dad does - from what I’ve heard, my impression is that he basically just lets people ramble on about whatever they want with 0 pushback.

Yeah. He does not have any of Art's broadcasting chops so he's boring to listen to, he doesn't bring the skepticism that Art did (Art would let you talk about whatever, but never really seemed to be buying it--Noory at least acts as if he believes literally anything you tell him), and he's obsessed with everything being angels.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

I do recall chuckling when they tried making a soundboard of canned Dr. Drew responses to answer callers and it worked surprisingly well as his advice was so non-specific they didn’t catch on. Then they tried making an Adam soundboard and it didn’t work as his angry generic responses jumped around too much and just confused the callers.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
You're overweight

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I do recall chuckling when they tried making a soundboard of canned Dr. Drew responses to answer callers and it worked surprisingly well as his advice was so non-specific they didn’t catch on. Then they tried making an Adam soundboard and it didn’t work as his angry generic responses jumped around too much and just confused the callers.

Are you a Mormon?

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
You're a lesbian

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

Are you a Mormon?

No, I'm not a mormon.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

When I was 19 I ate six boiled peyote buttons and stayed up all night but felt no effect

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

ninjoatse.cx posted:

You're a lesbian

Drew, please.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
You gotta get out there and get your bitch spunk drunk

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo
i was bored so i had anal sex

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

holefoods posted:

When I was 19 I ate six boiled peyote buttons and stayed up all night but felt no effect

It’s called intimacy.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah. He does not have any of Art's broadcasting chops so he's boring to listen to, he doesn't bring the skepticism that Art did (Art would let you talk about whatever, but never really seemed to be buying it--Noory at least acts as if he believes literally anything you tell him), and he's obsessed with everything being angels.

Yeah pretty much. He doesn’t seem as interested in politics as Bell thankfully in these times, and has banned some or the scummier guests, but he basically spends the whole show in “wow, must be true” mode all night while the caller or guest monologue. Like he could be gaming in the other window unless it’s about angels.

I check in for Ghost to Ghost and like maybe if I am driving and need a podcast break but that is about it.

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

Adam has sacked Gina and Bald Bryan and is planning on leaving California

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Brown Paper Bag posted:

Adam has sacked Gina and Bald Bryan and is planning on leaving California

I can see him moving to Florida and becoming a Desantis supporter.

I listen to the Film Vault, Bryan's other podcast, and it's frustrating how he was still working for Adam and wouldn't say anything bad about him. Hopefully that changes and he opens up a bit about how insane he's become

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Can't see him going anywhere other than Florida, that's the end of the line for his journey.

Maaaaaaaaybe Nevada or Texas.