Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Dirty jobs would have been 100x more enlightening and effective if they would have put the average salary of the job in question on the screen

They had elevator/escalator mechanics on the show this or last year. That’s a $100K++ job if you’re union. To the extent that we can’t get mechanics to move ‘up’ into superintendent roles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

morothar posted:

They had elevator/escalator mechanics on the show this or last year. That’s a $100K++ job if you’re union. To the extent that we can’t get mechanics to move ‘up’ into superintendent roles.

Being an elevator mechanic SHOULD pay that much - it's a dangerous and highly skilled job. Many other trades are the same way. That doesn't make them white collar or anything. Rather, if someone thinks "golly 100k is a lot for a blue collar worker" then that someone should reconsider how much a blue collar worker "ought" to make.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

cursedshitbox posted:

I too quit watching Clarkson after he punched the cook.

Not that it really matters but it was a producer not a cook.

Whoever above said blue collar vs white collar is feeding into bullshit class definitions is right. Another one that irritates me is the line between "worker" and "management", and how firm a line is often drawn between the two. I'm expected to believe that I dunno, a team leader with about 5 more responsibilities than a team member and no real decision making power at all is just as management/ruling class as the billionaire who owns the company? That's dumb as poo poo too.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
And that's why "blue collar" and "white collar" are useless terms that only serve to reinforce the idea that anybody working a "blue collar" job should be poor, and also drives conflict between poorly-paid white collar workers and well-paid blue collar workers, so they're busy fighting each other instead of uniting against the ruling class. Which, y'know, is the intention. But it's bad.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

morothar posted:

the show is still around?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Being an elevator mechanic SHOULD pay that much - it's a dangerous and highly skilled job. Many other trades are the same way. That doesn't make them white collar or anything. Rather, if someone thinks "golly 100k is a lot for a blue collar worker" then that someone should reconsider how much a blue collar worker "ought" to make.

This also feeds into the idea of which jobs are “worthwhile” and deserving of respect or quality of life and which aren’t. The idea that if your job was truly valuable and worth respecting it would naturally pay more.

It’s one of the many things feeding/fed by the absolute venom that so many “normie” conservatives have toward service sector jobs and educators and people who do social work or government/public sector work. And- surprise surprise- a lot of that historically breaks down along gender lines.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Large Testicles posted:

the show is still around?

Just looked on IMDB and it ended its 8th season in 2012, started season 9 in 2021 and season 10 started 2 weeks ago.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

LloydDobler posted:

Just looked on IMDB and it ended its 8th season in 2012, started season 9 in 2021 and season 10 started 2 weeks ago.

ok that makes sense, i hadn't even seen reruns of it in like 5 years

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Yeah, no. A billionaire is ruling class no matter what. There is no amount of "work" one person can do that is worth a billion dollars, much less 200 billion. That is stolen value from other workers. Only way to do it.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
local school board officials are the true globalists

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

morothar posted:

What does it pay non-union? And how hard is it to get one of those union jobs?

If they were to put up salaries in the show, they'd gladly list list it as $100k++ then neglect to tell you how difficult it is to get to that point and cry how no one wants to work anymore. And not a whisper of a union.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Salami Surgeon posted:

What does it pay non-union? And how hard is it to get one of those union jobs?

If they were to put up salaries in the show, they'd gladly list list it as $100k++ then neglect to tell you how difficult it is to get to that point and cry how no one wants to work anymore. And not a whisper of a union.

The International Union of Elevator Constructors is extremely good at getting good deals for their members, which is why union elevator mechanic pay is extremely good, with extra cost of living bonuses for expensive urban areas like NYC and San Francisco. However, part of the strategy is scarcity of mechanics and apprentices - most of the locals only open up for recruitment for about a week a year, and with very few slots to fill. Non-union mechanics average about 60% of union pay grade, less for those engaged in private home elevators and mobility equipment like stairlifts.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Non-union mechanics average about 60% of union pay grade, less for those engaged in private home elevators and mobility equipment like stairlifts.

Elon’s elevator mechanic probably isn’t union

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Ok Comboomer posted:

Elon’s elevator mechanic probably isn’t union

They are at some of his facilities, for sure. This is because the large national companies that do most of the service (Otis, Thyssenkrupp, Kone, Schindler, Mitsubishi) are all signatory to the IUEC.

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

Mr. Wiggles posted:

They are at some of his facilities, for sure. This is because the large national companies that do most of the service (Otis, Thyssenkrupp, Kone, Schindler, Mitsubishi) are all signatory to the IUEC.

Important to note that mobility equipment and home lifts aren’t subject to the same code & testing requirements. There’s a huge difference between a proper elevator/escalator and those.

Regarding the $100K++, it’s also worth noting that’s only part of the compensation. An IUEC tech costs an average of $125-150 per hour depending on location. So the cost is actually well >$200K due to the excellent benefits.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I know a guy who runs an elevator and escalator repair business. He was saying the great thing is that almost all the work is overtime since it’s done after hours to minimize disruption and regardless of the economy, regular maintenance of elevators and escalators has to be done in order to keep them licensed.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Mr. Apollo posted:

I know a guy who runs an elevator and escalator repair business. He was saying the great thing is that almost all the work is overtime since it’s done after hours to minimize disruption and regardless of the economy, regular maintenance of elevators and escalators has to be done in order to keep them licensed.

It is a really difficult union to get into, though. I have a nephew that tried, and it was a time consuming grind.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Do you mean that these unions actually make it hard to join them or that there are other obstacles like employer fuckery that makes it so?

Llewellyn
Jul 26, 2010

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

It's very much like using the deadname of a transgender person and I personally think just as offensive,

Lol

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Do you mean that these unions actually make it hard to join them or that there are other obstacles like employer fuckery that makes it so?

Both. In the case of elevators, it's also that it's an incredibly regulated industry in most jurisdictions, with heavy duty training requirements for technicians (this is good by the way). And the IUEC just happens to run the only nationally recognized training and apprenticeship program (this is also good). Really it's a tale of a union successfully raising the standard of living for it's members and at the same time ensuring public safety with equipment that's necessary for modern life. Precisely the opposite of what chuds are typically interested in.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Nidhg00670000 posted:

The unions have a high barrier to entry. Once you're in, it's a sweet gig because of all the above mentioned perks, but it's a tough seat to get.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

meatpimp posted:

The unions have a high barrier to entry.

But just... why? A higher unionization rate means a better position to bargain means better wages and benefits?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
While I'm sure it's a relatively safe job elevator shafts still give me the heebie jeebies.

A few years back a repairman got crushed by an elevator car and they only found him when his phone gave an alarm after two hours of inactivity. Guy has 20+ years experience with no incidents, elevator was close to 90 years old and 'compliant when installed'.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

Nidhg00670000 posted:

But just... why? A higher unionization rate means a better position to bargain means better wages and benefits?

They have a monopoly on supply of labor. If they increased the number of licensed members, they would be splitting the same work among more people and everyone would make less.

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

Mr. Apollo posted:

The majority of contracts in the US are all-in, so service and wear & tear items are included in one contract. Service work happens during the day unless the customer explicitly asks for something else, and is willing to pay for it. After hours work is typically a callback (breakdown with or without entrapment), less often a repair or service.

How solid the business is depends on the league you’re playing in. As a large OEM, you’d do the entire life cycle across construction/new installation, service, repair, and modernization. The total is absolutely subject to business cycle impacts, though much less so than e.g. automotive or construction.

If you’re a small mom & pop shop that focuses on service, yeah, that’s super stable due to maintenance and testing requirements.

dissss posted:

While I'm sure it's a relatively safe job elevator shafts still give me the heebie jeebies.

A few years back a repairman got crushed by an elevator car and they only found him when his phone gave an alarm after two hours of inactivity. Guy has 20+ years experience with no incidents, elevator was close to 90 years old and 'compliant when installed'.

Every single mechanic accident I’ve seen, heard of, and/or investigated was due to the mechanic not following the prescribed process. Most often it’s the better, more experienced guys, as they get sloppy/cocky. More so as you work on old equipment, as it’s often missing critical redundant safety systems. So skipping a step may bite you in the arse that much harder.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

morothar posted:

Every single mechanic accident I’ve seen, heard of, and/or investigated was due to the mechanic not following the prescribed process. Most often it’s the better, more experienced guys, as they get sloppy/cocky. More so as you work on old equipment, as it’s often missing critical redundant safety systems. So skipping a step may bite you in the arse that much harder.

the Demon Core, but an escalator

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Oh don't gently caress with escalators. That's 99% of the accidents right there.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
escalators: sometimes they become stairs and sometimes they become people grinders

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

Joking aside, escalators are basically semi-tame meat grinders. Don’t let children anywhere near one unsupervised, and check if they have skirt brushes, all comb teeth etc. We always have litigation ongoing, because an escalator randomly decides to maul a child’s foot.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:
Has the savagegeese crew been discussed? I go through phases of liking their stuff but I hope they’re not chuds or chud-adjacent.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

Has the savagegeese crew been discussed? I go through phases of liking their stuff but I hope they’re not chuds or chud-adjacent.

They platformed a Climatetown video a few months ago, I doubt they’re chuds

The Patagonia is definitely a channel in-joke, but I’d be shocked if it’s like a “lol libs” thing

Llewellyn
Jul 26, 2010
Mostly grumpy old man complaints about safety and emissions regulations making cars too dang complicated and heavy. All opinions emanate out of their love of the Honda s2000.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

Ok Comboomer posted:

The Patagonia is definitely a channel in-joke, but I’d be shocked if it’s like a “lol libs” thing

Didn’t know about that channel but those videos look fun. And precisely why I’m no fun at parties.

Llewellyn posted:

Mostly grumpy old man complaints about safety and emissions regulations making cars too dang complicated and heavy. All opinions emanate out of their love of the Honda s2000.

I can live with that. It was very interesting to see Jason Cammisa’s super lukewarm take on the S2000 recently. Also interesting that he believes the NC3 club is the best small cheap fun car when it’s the heaviest Miata.

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

Any thoughts on ViceGripGarage? The backdrop seems chuddy as all hell, but dude’s doing a great job at not offering a political view beyond “USA great” from the videos I’ve seen.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

morothar posted:

Any thoughts on ViceGripGarage? The backdrop seems chuddy as all hell, but dude’s doing a great job at not offering a political view beyond “USA great” from the videos I’ve seen.

A Trump loving rear end in a top hat from what I know

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Ok Comboomer posted:

Is Patagonia right wing adjacent?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Is Patagonia right wing adjacent?

No, quite the opposite. I mean, it’s not cheap and it’s rightly associated with affluence, but there probably isn’t a more “lib” brand out there aside from like Ben & Jerry’s.

They were in the news a few weeks back because the founder put all of his shares into a trust (controlled by his family) ostensibly dedicated to fighting climate change.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

Which Adam Conover thoroughly debunked. https://youtu.be/0Cu6EbELZ6I

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

morothar posted:

Seems very much stereotypical North Dakotan, which means he appears very unassuming, nice even, but makes it a very fine point to "not talk politics" (except for fervent nationalism and worship of veterans and police and hanging out with people with Trump poo poo plastered everywhere.)

The whole thing is wrapped up in cisheteronormative patriarchal pandering that makes it really transparent. It's really unfortunatel because he's fairly entertaining (because he reminds me of every domestic car geek I ever knew.)

Source: me--someone that spent their first 27 years in and around Fargo before moving to Chicago because it ain't safe being my queer rear end back home. (And of course Derek moved to somewhere somehow more conservative than ND.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

Which Adam Conover thoroughly debunked. https://youtu.be/0Cu6EbELZ6I

I mean, Ok Comboomer is right--that is an extremely lib move. In the sense that libs are slightly-less-conservative elitist capitalists, not leftists.