Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

That's Chacron's thing. Shows up at random in races, goes to sleep, wins the race by a mile, refuses to elaborate, leaves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Pants Donkey posted:

Donkey Kong 64 is better than the majority of 3D Sonics :colbert:

Donkey Kong 64 isn't even better than the majority of 3D Donkey Kongs

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Pants Donkey posted:

Agreed but only because most 3D Sonics are terrible.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Pants Donkey posted:

no

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Relyssa posted:

Agreed but only because most 3D Sonics are terrible.

I will not hear Sonic 3D Blast slandered in this way.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Twerk from Home posted:

I will not hear Sonic 3D Blast slandered in this way.

I said most, not all.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

womb with a view posted:

A secret research project for immortality in space, anime AIDS NIDS, Eggman's grandpa being executed by firing squad, Sonic leaping through the sun roof of the president's car, a giant lizard with life support systems welded onto it trying to crash a colony into Earth, said lizard being a prototype for a hedgehog, and said hedgehog being on a quest for revenge because of either implanted or misunderstood memories of a girl getting shot by a government agency called GUN: good.

The Black Arms and heterochromia general: bad.

I don't make the rules

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Happy Christmas Sonic thread.

My gift to you is the free soap shoes DLC for Frontiers. Sign up to the newsletter on this page and they email you a code in a few days. If you wait until the offer is up the only way to get them is mods.

https://frontiers.sonicthehedgehog.com/

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
did we ever get a look at where team dark actually lives? one appreciates the finer things, one’s always off brooding and one classifies as a light truck, so it must be eclectic

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

did we ever get a look at where team dark actually lives? one appreciates the finer things, one’s always off brooding and one classifies as a light truck, so it must be eclectic

If Sonic Battle is anything to go by Rouge at least apparently owns and lives in her own nightclub

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Dec 24, 2022

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

Larryb posted:

If Sonic Battle is anything to go by Rouge at least apparently owns and lives in her own nightclub

Which Shadow often crashes at (at least, before getting his memory back in his own game)

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I like to think Omega lives in an abandoned junkyard he’s taken over

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Shadow lives on Rouge's couch, Omega lives in her garage.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
https://twitter.com/hollywoodhandle/status/1606392633873637404

James Cameron, high off of his own power, has chosen to gently caress with the wrong opponent. I weep for his inevitable demise.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I haven't seen the new Avatar so I can't really comment on whether it is a substantial improvement over the first one.

But the original Avatar is so aggressively unmemorable with absolutely nothing interesting to say, and even if I wasn't a Sonic megafan I would absolutely take the third Sonic movie over that. Being ballistically stupid is at least interesting in some way.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
The original Avatar cannot be beaten for stupidity. It’s the only film I’ve walked out of twice, first with my friends, then with my parents after thinking “I must be misremembering it, it must not be that horrible, they can’t have called it ‘unobtainium’”.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Imagine caring about it being called "unobtanium". Avatar is a mediocre movie but that's the worst kind of nerd nitpick.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I mean it's a little insulting to the audience to actually call it Unobtanium. You can't spend the five minutes to come up with a real name for it in the screenplay stage?

But yes, there are far, far worse problems with that movie.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
there’s a whole lot of tweens who would chew off someone’s limb to see Shadow but I don’t know how much demo overlap there is with Avatar

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Avatar was a groundbreaking movie for the tech being used in it's creation. But the plot was rote tripe white savior nonsense. The tech is now old hat and there's nothing new on display and the plot is "Hey guys did you know that Whaling is bad and the indigenous people are sad about it but don't worry the white savior and his family can stop it."

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

"Unobtainium" is an actual term used in the real world for extremely valuable and scarce substances, but it does give the air of (placeholder, come up with proper name later)

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Kurieg posted:

Avatar was a groundbreaking movie for the tech being used in it's creation. But the plot was rote tripe white savior nonsense. The tech is now old hat and there's nothing new on display and the plot is "Hey guys did you know that Whaling is bad and the indigenous people are sad about it but don't worry the white savior and his family can stop it."
It’s even worse than usual as the white man literally turns into one of the native people and is better at it than them.

I have to imagine the sequel dropped that plot element altogether.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Avatar gave us the people who have been poorly photoshopping themselves as naavi for over ten years so it’s impossible to say if it’s truly bad

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Avatar gave us the people who have been poorly photoshopping themselves as naavi for over ten years so it’s impossible to say if it’s truly bad

The sad bastard bootleg version of making your own Sonic OCs. Disgusting.

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

:33< i KNOW, i was speaking metafurrikitty :33

I know I won't enjoy seeing these, but I still want to.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

DoctorWhat posted:

Imagine caring about it being called "unobtanium". Avatar is a mediocre movie but that's the worst kind of nerd nitpick.

It's that every single thing in the movie is operating on that level of stupidity, played completely straight, from the names of objects to the dances with wolves plot elements to the timing of shots. Attempting to watch it was like participating in autolobotomy. The target demographic for that film must get oxygen masks with their popcorn, because otherwise they'd forget to breathe.

vvv the unobtainium thing was an especially obvious example, I wasn't planning on filling the Sonic the Hedgehog thread with a discussion of the many problems with James Cameron's Avatar; there's plenty of ink spilt on how terrible that film is elsewhere.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Dec 25, 2022

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Then maybe people could talk about the bad shot timing and other stuff instead of brainlessly spamming UNOBTANIUM LOL like they've outsmarted the movie through one trivial observation.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Does your family own an unobtanium mine or something? Jesus.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Avatar has the most Functional plot and writing ever, unobtainium is just an extension of that. I don't think that would be an inherently bad thing if it wasn't also really racist. Someone pointed out that none of the Navi are played by Natives and I couldn't tell it that would make things better or worse.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

CAnt believe they just cast actors in blue face like that. J*mes C*meron showing his whole rear end..

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

arsenicCatnip posted:

I know I won't enjoy seeing these, but I still want to.

Be careful what you wish for, because you

just

MIGHT

GET IT

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Those pics just remind me that I do not like looking at Naavi.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Sweet Mama Robotnik; I'd rather see Sonic kiss a thousand planks of wood wearing wigs than see that ever again

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Electric Phantasm posted:

Those pics just remind me that I do not like looking at Naavi.

it's not a good design! it just isn't!

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Vinylshadow posted:

Sweet Mama Robotnik; I'd rather see Sonic kiss a thousand planks of wood wearing wigs than see that ever again

I see you

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

:33< i KNOW, i was speaking metafurrikitty :33

Be careful what you wish for, because you

just
*blue guy*
MIGHT
*blue guy*
GET IT
*blue guy*

I was expecting something more uncanny tbh, like the guy who turned himself into a goofy

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Frontiers is weird. It's jank, but the moment to moment gameplay is fun enough for me to engage with, yet frustrating enough to make me scream whenever a random spring sets off a Goldberg Device with me as a marble, flung halfway across the map. I'm like halfway done with mapping the second island, but so far it's a very mixed bag. A competent game with good ideas but it's all just so disjointed.

But then you get to a cyberspace level and they're mostly good except Sonic has this awkward heaviness to him (might be something with the PC controls tho), where it seems he needs a lot of recovery after every move, meaning I can't flow through the level as effectively and ... I dunno, I still like it, despite it being all over the place.
The framerate dropping to 30 for cutscenes makes me cry, especially when they have a bit more action than "Sonic and Friend stand talking." I really like the talking too! The Side Stories are very enjoyable and it's good to see Sonic interacting with his friends a lot more! ...what I don't like are the repeating animations for memory pieces/cogs/keys/loving everything playing every time. I know I can skip them but they're still annoying.

A land of contrasts. The levels are pretty! And we got night and day cycle, making dark areas light up with the arrows and lasers and Sonic's attacks, that's great! But also you get no way of affecting the time so you have to wait to complete that one night mission you keep on skipping because you're by it at daytime.

But it all still works. Keeps me glued to the screen for a long time! Amazing game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Kikas posted:

Frontiers is weird. It's jank, but the moment to moment gameplay is fun enough for me to engage with, yet frustrating enough to make me scream whenever a random spring sets off a Goldberg Device with me as a marble, flung halfway across the map. I'm like halfway done with mapping the second island

oh, you aren't going to like the third island at all