Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Scholtz posted:

I had a friend who liked to say they were a biathlete for attention but they definitely deliberately spent more time at the slopes than looking down scopes.

I thought biathlon was XC skiing why would you need slopes??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

the shooter was 73 :wth:

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

Scholtz posted:

I had a friend who liked to say they were a biathlete for attention but they definitely deliberately spent more time at the slopes than looking down scopes.

lol

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

goochtit posted:

the shooter was 73 :wth:
https://apnews.com/article/canada-ontario-toronto-59ea1ff7791846b01f16adc5b3b36458

quote:

York Regional Police Chief Jim MacSween speaks to the media during a press conference in Aurora, Ontario, on Monday Dec, 19, 2022. Canadian authorities say the man who killed five people and wounded a sixth at a condominium building near Toronto before an officer killed him was a 73-year-old resident, Francesco Velli. (Arlyn McAdorey/The Canadian Press via AP)
1 of 15
York Regional Police Chief Jim MacSween speaks to the media during a press conference in Aurora, Ontario, on Monday Dec, 19, 2022. Canadian authorities say the man who killed five people and wounded a sixth at a condominium building near Toronto before an officer killed him was a 73-year-old resident, Francesco Velli. (Arlyn McAdorey/The Canadian Press via AP)

TORONTO (AP) — Canadian police identified the man who shot and killed five people and wounded another at a suburban Toronto condominium as a 73-year-old resident of the building and said three of the five people he killed were on the condo board.

During a news conference Monday, Chief James MacSween of the York Regional Police identified the suspect in Sunday night’s attack in Vaughan, Ontario, as Francesco Velli. He said Velli fatally shot three men and two women and wounded a 66-year-old woman, who is hospitalized.

“Three victims were members of the condominium board,” he said.

Police said officers were called to an active shooting at the building at around 7:20 p.m. Sunday, and that an officer fatally shot Velli inside the building, which is where Velli and the victims lived.

Veilli had a long-running dispute with the condo board and thought the building’s electrical room was making him sick, and that board members and the building’s developer were to blame, court documents show.

MacSween said police are still investigating the motive for the attack, which occurred at three separate units in the building.

Special Investigation Unit spokesperson Kristy Denette said police found the victims on different floors. She said Velli had a semiautomatic handgun and that investigators don’t believe he exchanged fire with the officer who killed him.

On Sunday and days leading up to the attack, Velli posted rambling videos on Facebook in which he talked about a legal dispute he had with the condo board.

In the videos, he claimed to have health problems caused by the building’s electrical room. The posts include recordings of phone conversations he had with lawyers involved in his case. In one video he posted Sunday, the lawyer for the building noted that the condo corporation had asked him to sell his unit and move out.

“This tragedy is driving me insane. I’m ill anyways,” he said.

The lawyer noted there was an online court hearing in his case scheduled for Monday and that he needed to go to the condo management office, where the manager would help him log in.

Velli claimed during the call that he was not prepared to present his case during the hearing. He also asked what the board wanted from him, to which the lawyer said it needed him to stop harassing and shouting at people, and to pay the condo corporation’s legal fees. She noted that the case had dragged on for years.

“Can I die in peace? (It’s been) seven years of torture,” Velli said.

In one video, he said: “They want me dead. You can take this body but never this soul. .. I am ready to die.”

Velli filed a lawsuit against six directors and officers of the board in 2020 alleging that they “committed acts of crime and criminality from 2010 onwards.”

He also accused them of deliberately causing him five years of “torment” and “torture” related to issues he had with the electrical room below his unit, court documents show. Justice Joseph Di Luca tossed the lawsuit this summer, calling it “frivolous” and “vexatious.”

According to court documents, the board sought a restraining order in 2018 against Velli for his “allegedly threatening, abusive, intimidating and harassing behavior” toward the board, property management, workers and residents.

Resident John Santoro said Monday that he knew Velli had a firearms acquisitions certificate but that he didn’t know if Velli actually owned a gun. He said he also knew about Velli’s issues with the condo board.

“I know the history and I know the man. I know the board of directors. I know this has been brewing for a long time. And I’ve commented to my wife several times that this is going to end very badly,” Santoro said.

Mass shootings are rare in Canada, and Toronto has long prided itself as being one of the world’s safest big cities. Vaughan is just north of Toronto.

Canadians are nervous about anything that might indicate they are moving closer to the gun violence situation in the U.S., where mass shootings are common.

“Everybody is horrified,” Vaughan Mayor Steven Del Duca said. “To wake up to this news this morning or see it last night, we are in absolute shock. ... This is something I never thought I would see here.”

don't know whats up with the electrical room but i'm not feeling a HoA going back to the underworld is a bad thing inherently

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Vomik posted:

I thought biathlon was XC skiing why would you need slopes??

They're the boobs

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

bi athlete

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

Maya Fey posted:

bi athlete

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4
finally someone else uses my template ffs

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

IMO you're a biathlete even if you only ever ski vs shoot or vice versa, you don't have to prove anything to anyone

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

my preferred fake sport is shirling tyvm

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

The Voice of Labor posted:

lmfao

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

Armadillo Tank posted:

https://apnews.com/article/canada-ontario-toronto-59ea1ff7791846b01f16adc5b3b36458

don't know whats up with the electrical room but i'm not feeling a HoA going back to the underworld is a bad thing inherently

the conspirituality wellness movement had a big miff about adding more radio waves/EMF with smart meters

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

this was fake?! :crossarms:

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

cumshitter alt spotted

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Oh my god Chuck McGill was the shooter:

quote:

Among other things in the suit, Villi alleged that the defendants had committed “ ‘Acts of Crime and Criminality’ from 2010 onwards” and that the electrical room below his unit was improperly constructed and electromagnetic waves had caused him pain and suffering over several years. Villi believed the board was acting on behalf of the “powerful developer” who built the condo complex.

He alleged the defendants were “deliberately causing harm, stress physically, mentally, financially, confusion inability to rest and sleep for over 5 years, torment, torture that cannot be explain (sic) in words.”

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Unless posted:

the conspirituality wellness movement had a big miff about adding more radio waves/EMF with smart meters

A reliable local news source is reporting that an inspector was called in and found issues which went unremediated: https://toronto.citynews.ca/2022/12/19/documents-detail-vaughan-shooters-conflict-with-condo-board/

so the dude had a genuine gripe and was likely actually living in a personal hell. hosed up.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

quote:

In Sept. 2018, he invited a city inspector to inspect the noise, heat and possible electromagnetic waves coming from the electrical room.

The inspector reported that he felt vibrations on the floor of Villi’s unit because of the electrical room below it, tingly sensations due to electromagnetic waves and a tightness in his chest, possibly due to the fumes coming from the room. The inspector also reportedly checked the electrical room and suggested there may be insufficient ventilation.

In June 2019, Villi hired a commercial environmental assessment company to conduct an evening noise survey in his apartment to find out how much noise was being generated by the exhaust fan in the electrical room.

The assessment found that the fans came on several times an hour for about four minutes at a time, 24 hours a day. The noise levels noticeably increased in the entire apartment and created an annoyance that needed to be addressed and controlled.

Further, the assessment cited design plans for the electrical room that Villi obtained, which showed that a suspended ceiling was to be installed in the room to dampen the noise, but it was never done.

The report concluded that the lack of a suspended ceiling led to the ongoing noise problems and would greatly help in controlling it. It also suggested caulking holes in the ceiling drywall of the electrical room to block noise leakage points.

It appears none of the suggestions were acted upon.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
verdict: justified. wtg canada

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

A Time to Kill, but canadian

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Vim Fuego posted:

verdict: justified. wtg canada

If I told a bunch of my fellow Americans that a 73 year old went on a shooting rampage in Ontario and killed 5 people they would be rightly horrified.

But if I told them that the people he killed were his apartments HOA board well, they would still be horrified but deep down inside they would understand to some degree.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Charliegrs posted:

If I told a bunch of my fellow Americans that a 73 year old went on a shooting rampage in Ontario and killed 5 people they would be rightly horrified.

But if I told them that the people he killed were his apartments HOA board well, they would still be horrified but deep down inside they would understand to some degree.
a hyper-majority of petitboogs have at least one long-simmering beef with some or all of their HOA board. a The Purge in the US would be an immediate HOA Final Solution of boomer-on-boomer violence

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Turns out folks don't really care for people who act like landlords and threaten to take your house over the length of the grass outside.

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

Arivia posted:

A reliable local news source is reporting that an inspector was called in and found issues which went unremediated: https://toronto.citynews.ca/2022/12/19/documents-detail-vaughan-shooters-conflict-with-condo-board/

so the dude had a genuine gripe and was likely actually living in a personal hell. hosed up.

i certainly have no love, or dealings, for HOAs in my life

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

skooma512 posted:

Turns out folks don't really care for people who act like landlords and threaten to take your house over the length of the grass outside.

OTOH folks desperately want to gently caress over their neighbours for using the wrong shade of grey

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Some old dude gunned down a bunch of people in central Paris, police investigating it as racially motivated since it was outside a Kurdish cultural center and the suspect had previously attacked refugee housing.

Edit: Two previous cases of racially motivated attempted murder by this shithead, was recently released from prison. Three dead in the shooting, now police are teargassing protesters.

SplitSoul has issued a correction as of 18:10 on Dec 23, 2022

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

SplitSoul posted:

Some old dude gunned down a bunch of people in central Paris, police investigating it as racially motivated since it was outside a Kurdish cultural center and the suspect had previously attacked refugee housing.

Edit: Two previous cases of racially motivated attempted murder by this shithead, was recently released from prison. Three dead in the shooting, now police are teargassing protesters.

sacre bleu

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

https://twitter.com/LouisPisano/status/1606662092236414976

Merry Christmas mass shootings thread :wave:

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
if country had 3.8x higher homicide rate, this not happen

maybe if we actually rioted after every mass shooting in the US, something might improve

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

drat. War on cars is "le real" as they say

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

Nous sommes a Paris et nous lancons des voitures a les cochons aujourdhui

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

TenementFunster posted:

if country had 3.8x higher homicide rate, this not happen

maybe if we actually rioted after every mass shooting in the US, something might improve

If the mass shooting was at a board meeting for some investment corp like Blackstone or Goldman-Sachs, then yeah.

Otherwise the government would just send in more cops.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1611499493488300034

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/01/06/us/newport-news-school-shooting-virginia.html

It keeps happening and it keeps getting weirder and weirder.

Scholtz has issued a correction as of 04:00 on Jan 7, 2023

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

wrong thread?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Wolfy posted:

wrong thread?

no I’m pretty sure the school shootings thread is the right thread to discuss a school shooting

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Please don't tell me we have different threads for when there's one direct victim of gun violence in a public place and one for when there are multiple direct victims; I'm depressed enough already.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

there's no dedicated thread for first graders smoking their teachers

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Poor kid. Must have a lot of poo poo going very wrong before this.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

there's no dedicated thread for first graders smoking their teachers

not with that attitude

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the parent is gonna get owned for leaving a gun out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Virginia has no minimum age of criminal responsibility, so that child could go to jail for attempted murder.