Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!

davidspackage posted:

But I also rrreally want Zak to slip up and call her "Nan"

Impossible! Mary Worth would never show a scene in the boudoir!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

:china:

Get Fuzzy 12/24/02

Brenda Starr 1/29/50

Smokey Stover 12/16/51

Everyday Movies 12/5/35

"What a shame for a dog like that to have to live in the city."

Selachian fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Dec 25, 2022

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Green Intern posted:

God I hate Pondus.

Same. The art is repulsive and many of the "jokes" suck poo poo.

e:

Vargo posted:

Wallace the Brave

Wallace the Brave, on the other hand, is the best. drat close to the Cul-de-sac level.

On that topic, someone should start posting Cul-de-sac from the start.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Dec 25, 2022

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

merry crimbo comics enjoyers

im grateful for goons to gawk with

Pancho Jueves
Aug 20, 2007

BEST FRIENDS!!

EasyEW posted:

The Funky Winkerbean Farewell Tour

(Son of Stuck Funky contributes a key to this collection of fools.)

Is that two Muslim women in this church?

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Doomykins posted:

why don't herbivores in hellworld carry guns

Only the rabbit terrorist group does.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!

Mister Beeg posted:

Coming back to post one more set of "Arnold" strips for Christmas.

Still working on restoring the strip for the eventual book (and boy do they need restoration). Have a good 'un!

Thanks for sharing your comics with us this year!!

Heathcliff feat. Garbage Ape!!!!!!

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard with.......either a coloring error or a reveal that Mrs. Claus is an elf

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (January 21, 2001)

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

No Safe Havens on Sundays!

Merry Christmas!

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Green Intern posted:

Only the rabbit terrorist group does.
Specifically they use carrot-ammo crossbows.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

These two are absolutely fantastic. Looking forward to the book!

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

Doomykins posted:

why don't herbivores in hellworld carry guns

No defending yourself allowed except in Tom and Jerry-esque ways.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
It's A Sketchy Life for December 23, 1926! An extra extra installment to get the Yuletide material out of the way while it's still relatively relevant.

Bruce Bairnsfather:

Carl Anderson:

MB Walker:

Don Herold:

And with my best wishes of the season still ringing in your ears, we now return you to Hell, which is already in progress. (Art Young)

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Good Listener posted:

No defending yourself allowed except in Tom and Jerry-esque ways.
This isn't a joke, also. A carnivore tried to take Kevin to court once for defending himself.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Hostile V posted:

Specifically they use carrot-ammo crossbows.
No they're guns. Tubes and all. They still shoot wooden stakes painted to look like carrots, though.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

This isn't a joke, also. A carnivore tried to take Kevin to court once for defending himself.
:hmmyes: Literally illegal to defend yourself except with your Species Has Characteristic natural abilities.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

EasyEW posted:

And with my best wishes of the season still ringing in your ears, we now return you to Hell, which is already in progress. (Art Young)

Just so you know, Art Young's Inferno made its way to some Christmas stocking this year, thanks to your posts!

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
The Antique Dealer’s Tale

Cthulhu and Girl

Ajara

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
is that good

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popcom

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Demons of Baseball

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
It's like she's self-aware about the fact that she has no agency and functions only as a prize for male characters in this story.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tTHn2tHhcI

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise: Take-Over

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

So, now that Brenda Starr is starting a new story, and we'll have a new thread soon, I've been giving some thought to changing up the comics I post. I've now posted the first ten years (good Lord) of Brenda's 71-year run, and it seems to have settled into a bit of a rut. It rarely draws much comment unless something especially 1950s happens, so I don't know if the thread readership has much interest in seeing more.

(I'm still keeping Smokey Stover and Everyday Movies. I like 'em.)

Possible Brenda replacements I'm considering:

- Pogo. I remember treasureplane used to post it when they were active here, but I don't think it's been seen in these threads for a while otherwise.

- Invisible Scarlet O'Neil. One of the first super-powered women in comics. Is it actually any good? I have no idea.

- Superman. Obscure character you may possibly be familiar with.

- Archie. America's favorite teenager (aside from Harold Teen).

Any thoughts welcomed.

Selachian fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Dec 26, 2022

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
i was just thinking of asking if someone would post Pogo again, so it's either that or Scarlet O'Neil if it turns out it's not like, poo poo

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I'm still enjoying Brenda Starr, but I get it. I'm good with whatever, those are all good choices. Pogo's been posted a couple times but I haven't been able to get into it. Maybe this time. Though Scarlet O'Neil sounds like it could be fun, and Superman and Archie are both excellent ideas as well.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Happy Boxing Day!

F Minus

Mark Trail in "No Ethical Consumption"

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Flash Gordon

Mara Llave

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (January 22, 2001)

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Selachian posted:

So, now that Brenda Starr is starting a new story, and we'll have a new thread soon, I've been giving some thought to changing up the comics I post. I've now posted the first ten years (good Lord) of Brenda's 71-year run, and it seems to have settled into a bit of a rut. It rarely draws much comment unless something especially 1950s happens, so I don't know if the thread readership has much interest in seeing more.

I actually really like Brenda Starr, thanks to its constant blend of absurd nonsense almost none of which has anything to do with reporting. It even gets in a real dawww moment every once in awhile like the penniless couple who gets Brenda's wedding dress as a Christmas miracle. That being noted I can understand your irritation with it since I swear this Lance Hunter / Mystery Man love triangle thing has been going on longer than the actual Lance Hunter romance storyline did at this point.

As per your replacement comics, someone tried to post Superman once before too, but gave up on it, I'm pretty sure. Pogo is important, but inscrutable. Archie is...Archie. Based on your sample, Scarlet O 'Neil kind of looks like Brenda Starr, except instead of being terrible at reporting, she's terrible at being invisible. So, I'm not super enthusiastic about your suggested replacements. But I'll read them anyway, because I like your comics, and I like you, and you should like yourself and post what you like.

While I have your attention, a friendly reminder that I am withdrawing my request for non-Imgur sourced links for the new year's thread because I've inconvenienced you all long enough. I'm going to continue using the sketchy source myself, though, since I like the way that it presents my links to me. If my posts at the moment seems inconveniently long, worry not, I'm going to try to limit myself to six pages per update in the future since all this translating is getting excessive for me too and also if I want this comic to end exactly a year from now that's the kind of pace I should be setting.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Selachian posted:

(I'm still keeping Smokey Stover and Everyday Movies. I like 'em.)

Another vote for Invisible Scarlet O'Neil. since I've never heard of it and it might be interesting, but either way thanks for posting Brenda, because it has been cool to see , even if it wasn't always good.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

mycatscrimes posted:

It's like she's self-aware about the fact that she has no agency and functions only as a prize for male characters in this story.

however, "save me with your foul baseball sorcery" is probably the best thing to ask of a husband

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
Atleast tell your mom about him cheating on you before but I have a feeling that wouldn't convince here either tbh.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Good Listener posted:

Atleast tell your mom about him cheating on you before but I have a feeling that wouldn't convince here either tbh.

She would actively delete the sentence "Copper cheated on me" from her memory and pretend she never heard it.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!

Some Guy TT posted:

While I have your attention, a friendly reminder that I am withdrawing my request for non-Imgur sourced links for the new year's thread

sounds good buddy, let us know if its needed again

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Selachian posted:

Any thoughts welcomed.
Scarlet O'Neil seems interesting, and it's always interesting to see Archie in its native era but it's always, well, Archie.

2018 Spiderman

1980 comics

Locher Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Legends in the Heights

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

Yeah, we all realized that the animal woman you've been with was one of the adventures a while back. Stop pretending it's gonna be a big shock reveal-

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I think Archie could be fun.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Bongo Bill posted:

I think Archie could be fun.

Same.

I should find something worth posting for the new year instead of just lurking and occasionally commenting about how loving horrible of a person Lynn Johnston is. I mentioned Doonesbury a while ago but I could probably find something else.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

Iris walks in. Sees Zak and Nan naked in front of the fireplace.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Some Guy TT posted:

Demons Of Baseball

This is some Junji Ito-esque human cruelty and madness. The art really beats it out too.

Edit: I would love to see some of the invisible lady adventures, or early Superman comics.

Green Intern fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Dec 26, 2022

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Selachian posted:

Any thoughts welcomed.

I'm down for whatever seems the most interesting to you! Thanks for offering to post something new. :)

Some Guy TT posted:

While I have your attention, a friendly reminder that I am withdrawing my request for non-Imgur sourced links for the new year's thread because I've inconvenienced you all long enough. I'm going to continue using the sketchy source myself, though, since I like the way that it presents my links to me.

To be clear: does this mean you no longer need the extra links, or do you mean you feel bad about asking people to do it? Since I only post the one comic it's not really an inconvenience for me, so I'm happy to keep doing it if you want.

Vintage Valiant (Dec. 12, 1954)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I cannot *wait* for Wilbur to crash Iris and Zak's wedding and make a move on Nan