Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

The Gleek Clique, we gleek on your food and ain't buy replacements

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Captain Splendid posted:

The violin family has a contoured waist so you can bow without hitting anything.

The upright bass is not part of the violin family, it's actually a bass viol.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

This one's a twofer, imo.

Thanks to working retail during the holidays, I have to hear an incredibly repetitive Pandora mix of Xmas songs for 8 hours a day. One song that drives me particularly nuts is "Little Saint Nick" by the Beach Boys.

Having heard this song over 100 times in the last few weeks, I finally paid attention to the lyrics, and this repeated line made me snap:

"Christmas comes this time each year"

Wow did you just figure that out?! That the holiday that falls on a specific day every loving year, it comes this time each year? That's amazing, you geniuses!

It is perhaps the stupidest lyric I have ever heard. So the Beach Boys figured out how calendars work, and I figured out reason #352 why I can't stand them.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

JacquelineDempsey posted:

That's such a weird line. I was gonna chalk it up to lazy rhyming, but then I went back to listen again and it's just an interjection, it doesn't even rhyme with anything. It's even lazier, just hitting the right number of syllables!

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

RFC2324 posted:

Lmao you are right.

My reading comprehension fails again

People are so bad at geography my brain just jumped to it

oh lol i thought you were doing a bit

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Sometimes a song just needs words to fill space :shrug:

I guess it would've been better if they'd just said "yeah" a bunch

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Captain Hygiene posted:

That's such a weird line. I was gonna chalk it up to lazy rhyming, but then I went back to listen again and it's just an interjection, it doesn't even rhyme with anything. It's even lazier, just hitting the right number of syllables!

Brian Wilson is an absolute genius with harmony and he had an incredible talent for how to use each member's voice to compliment each other, but he's always been a lousy lyricist and Mike Love is a complete hack all around. There's some really incredible Beach Boys stuff out there but don't bother looking for inspiration in the lyrics.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Wow did you just figure that out?! That the holiday that falls on a specific day every loving year, it comes this time each year? That's amazing, you geniuses!

It's also sung it with the most downtrodden, lazy-eyed, drunken intonation right at the start of the song.

This has been a running joke with my girlfriend for years now. Hey! Did you know? It's at this time... Christmas comes each year. *EACH* year. This year? You betcha. EACH year.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

The intro to good vibrations is incredible music. It’s the same poo poo that every rock band in the 80s did where they have like a minute of musical genius and then it just full transitions into the blandest crap possible. van halen syndrome.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Carol Kaye is responsible for the best part of Good Vibrations.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
They were so loving high its a miracle they wrote anything at all.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Baron von Eevl posted:

The upright bass is not part of the violin family, it's actually a bass viol.

Right? What weirdo would tune in fourths?

Barnum Brown Shoes
Jan 29, 2013

impossiboobs posted:

FO-yurr is American English and fo-YAY is how it's pronounced in Canada. Similar to how "niche" in America is nitch and in Canada is neesh. Canada tends to lean further into French pronunciation for obvious reasons.

I grew up near the Canadian border. I figured out that I pronounce 'sorry' like a Canadian when I moved downstate. Lots of other stuff too probably. I blame Mr Dressup (RIP my brother).

Barnum Brown Shoes
Jan 29, 2013

EasilyConfused posted:

For some reason I sometimes pronounce it nitch and sometimes pronounce it neesh.

No idea why I do that, don't think there are any other words that I pronounce differently at different times.

Me too, probably code switching

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
nitch as a noun, neesh as an adjective

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

This one's a twofer, imo.

Thanks to working retail during the holidays, I have to hear an incredibly repetitive Pandora mix of Xmas songs for 8 hours a day. One song that drives me particularly nuts is "Little Saint Nick" by the Beach Boys.

Having heard this song over 100 times in the last few weeks, I finally paid attention to the lyrics, and this repeated line made me snap:

It is perhaps the stupidest lyric I have ever heard. So the Beach Boys figured out how calendars work, and I figured out reason #352 why I can't stand them.
Well... to be fair, Easter isn't the same day each year.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
You have to pronounce it “nitch” so that you can make one particular bad joke.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

InediblePenguin posted:

nitch as a noun, neesh as an adjective

Nitch in the streets, neesh in the sheets

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
Saying someone should "touch grass" means they need to go outside/get off the internet. I thought it was telling someone to die/kys and was surprised how often the mods here let people say it to each other. I think I might have conflated it with "pushing daisies".

vvv Yeah something like that!

run on sentience has a new favorite as of 01:50 on Dec 20, 2022

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
touch grass... from underneath :evilbuddy:

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

George Romero and John Romero aren't even loving related

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

It took me way too long to figure out that John Carmack is not related to Adrian Carmack, another founder of id Software.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Dip Viscous posted:

It took me way too long to figure out that John Carmack is not related to Adrian Carmack, another founder of id Software.

What

I

My world has shattered

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
I also thought they were related.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

And John Carmack and John Romero aren't related either.

I mean, there's no reason for them to be, I just wanted to participate.

I swear I remember reading an interview ~20 years ago with someone from iD, and a comment about how John and Adrian aren't related, and then the interviewer asked if John and John were related, and the answer was something "Aren't people usually related by their last names? 🙄"

rollick
Mar 20, 2009
just realising I don't actually know if RZA and GZA from the Wu-Tang Clan are related

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

rollick posted:

just realising I don't actually know if RZA and GZA from the Wu-Tang Clan are related

they are both in the same clan, so obviously.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

rollick posted:

They're cousins, as was ODB.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Henchman of Santa posted:

They're cousins, as was ODB.

Yeah, but you'll never guess what I heard about his parents.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Here's a really minor one but the lyrics in The Pogues' Fairytale Of New York aren't "Got on a lucky one, came in at ten-to-one" but "Came in eighteen-to-one"

That even luckier!

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Killing Joke are British

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Here's a really minor one but the lyrics in The Pogues' Fairytale Of New York aren't "Got on a lucky one, came in at ten-to-one" but "Came in eighteen-to-one"

That even luckier!

One of my favorite songs of all time.

I can’t believe people use that song as a feel-good Christmas song lol

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Captain Splendid posted:

Killing Joke are British

Extremely British.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Captain Splendid posted:

Killing Joke are British

Also some of the fans haven’t figured out there isn’t a connection to the comics. A friend saw them live a few years ago and there were multiple guys in Joker makeup.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Shifty Nipples posted:

"Cah rib ian" is the cruise line and "care ah be in" is the place

If "care ah be in" is good enough for Billy Ocean and Bob Marley, then it's good enough for me.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Every step of American healthcare is setup and designed to be miserable. From finding a provider to getting treatment, and that's assuming you even have insurance and can afford it

caspergers
Oct 1, 2021

Twenty Four posted:

A kid telling his friends at school about their uncle that worked at Nintendo, way back like 80 years ago. No one believes his story, despite how much he insists it's true.

I recently learned that the company Nintendo (yes that Nintendo) has been around since the late 1800's making playing cards for a really long time until eventually going into video games in the 1970's and early 80's. Initially I called bullshit, but apparently it's true, from multiple sources! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo

Not really a spoiler or much of a joke I guess, just really surprising to me. :aaaaa:

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

It's extra hard to believe because that photo of Nintendo HQ from 1889 looks like it was taken in 1970.

Koi-Koi is super fun btw.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

this looks like the 1970s to you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

I learned that earlier this year and went to see if there were any older video game studios. it turns out that the oldest one by some metrics is the US Army (fixed 1776)