Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012

Mercury_Storm posted:

I got the original version and have no idea why I'd play this instead of the Director's cut. Uninstalled Epic Games store again lol

what if you will want to play tomorrow's mystery game tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

AfricanBootyShine posted:

It's more that I'd have to buy the DLC on EGS, and I (a) don't want to give them money and (b) don't have any faith it'll still exist as a platform in 10 years, when I finally get around to playing it.

Is there a reason for (a)?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Well if you did get the Director's Cut earlier it installs and runs fine for now so, hey, free game :v:

astral
Apr 26, 2004

flatluigi posted:

there's a good chance sa won't exist in ten years and yet you're still posting

Rude.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

oh i meant it more as some sort of planetary apocalypse that takes out the internet more than it being the fault of anyone currently keeping the site alive

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

AfricanBootyShine posted:

It's more that I'd have to buy the DLC on EGS, and I (a) don't want to give them money and

Len posted:

Is there a reason for (a)?

I personally found Tim Sweeny's attitude when the Epic Store first started and his tactics during the Apple trial so distasteful that I actively refuse to spend money there. I've even considered extending that to Unreal Engine games on Steam because some of my purchase money there is still going towards furthering his agenda.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Does anyone remember which version of Control was given out for free on EGS months and months ago? I assumed it was the Ultimate Edition but now I look at it in my library and I actually started playing it (monstrous, I know) and it doesn't say it's that version, and EGS is such a pile a poo poo I can't even tell if I already own that version or even the base game by looking at the store.

If it's the base version, is buying the Season Pass equivalent to having the Ultimate, or does Ultimate add something else that the base game + season pass doesn't have? I don't trust EGS not to gently caress up and sell me something I don't need/already own.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Fuzz posted:

Does anyone remember which version of Control was given out for free on EGS months and months ago? I assumed it was the Ultimate Edition but now I look at it in my library and I actually started playing it (monstrous, I know) and it doesn't say it's that version, and EGS is such a pile a poo poo I can't even tell if I already own that version or even the base game by looking at the store.

If it's the base version, is buying the Season Pass equivalent to having the Ultimate, or does Ultimate add something else that the base game + season pass doesn't have? I don't trust EGS not to gently caress up and sell me something I don't need/already own.

I'm pretty sure it's just the basic, and season pass gets you everything, but I also think season pass is just stuff you don't access until you get later in the game, so you can play for a bit before worrying about if you want the season pass.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

That one was just the regular version, but the Steam version from Humble Choice in March 2021 and the free GoG version from Amazon Prime around November 2021 both seem to have been the Ultimate edition (even though the Humble one was advertised as Standard).

edit: Steam version from Humble revealed to be hugely misleadingly the Standard edition; you can even see the Standard Edition depot for the Ultimate Edition game :psyduck::
https://steamdb.info/app/870780/depots/

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

GOG does what Epican't.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

flatluigi posted:

oh i meant it more as some sort of planetary apocalypse that takes out the internet more than it being the fault of anyone currently keeping the site alive

But enough about Death Stranding...

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Fuzz posted:

looks like epic gave out base control while GOG gave ultimate edition at a separate point.
some time before march since that's when I imported everything into playnite

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I’ve bought a few things from Epic, and have somewhat regretted doing so after missing the Steam features. For instance, Steam Input can transform how I play I game (or whether I play it all) because of how I can use it to alleviate RSI pains. You can add some EGS games to Steam without issue, but not the ones I wanted (e.g., Wonderlands). There are still hacky ways of using Steam Input, but it’s less than ideal or not fully functional (e.g., by using a custom desktop controller config).

There’s not even an fps overlay or screenshot function. You can use other programs, but everything being standard with Steam is so convenient.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Dec 26, 2022

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

looks like epic gave out base control while GOG gave ultimate edition at a separate point.
some time before march since that's when I imported everything into playnite

This is accurate. I only realized it after I gave away my GOG code.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
poo poo I forgot I had it on GoG!

I'm several hours in, wonder if I can just copy over the save files and it'll Just Work...

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Rinkles posted:

I’ve bought a few things from Epic, and have somewhat regretted doing so after missing the Steam features. For instance, Steam Input can transform how I play I game (or whether I play it all) because of how I can use it to alleviate RSI pains. You can add some EGS games to Steam without issue, but not the ones I wanted (e.g., Wonderlands). There are still hacky ways of using Steam Input, but it’s less than ideal or not fully functional (e.g., by using a custom desktop controller config).

There’s not even an fps overlay or screenshot function. You can use other programs, but everything being standard with Steam is so convenient.

You can just add the epic launcher itself to steam, that's how I use steam input and I haven't had a problem yet

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Fuzz posted:

poo poo I forgot I had it on GoG!

I'm several hours in, wonder if I can just copy over the save files and it'll Just Work...

see this is why you should use something like playnite or gog galaxy to organize all your (free) games on 10 million different platforms and see them all in one place

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Manky posted:

You can just add the epic launcher itself to steam, that's how I use steam input and I haven't had a problem yet

that doesn't let you have per game profiles, right? (there actually is a way around this, but it requires shutting down egs every time you leave a game (inconvenient given how slow the launcher is, and a problem for big picture) and there are edge case issues remaining).

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Rinkles posted:

that doesn't let you have per game profiles, right? (there actually is a way around this, but it requires shutting down egs every time you leave a game (inconvenient given how slow the launcher is, and a problem for big picture) and there are edge case issues remaining).

It wouldn't be automatic and I hardly ever use BPM so I'm not familiar with its eccentricities, but I would think you could still have as many controller profiles as you want and be able to switch between them with the steam overlay. I get where you're coming from now though, even if I'm right it's not a perfect solution.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

while GOG gave ultimate edition at a separate point.
If by GOG you mean Amazon. And by gave you mean it was part of paid subscription. Then yes.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

astral posted:

That one was just the regular version, but the Steam version from Humble Choice in March 2021 and the free GoG version from Amazon Prime around November 2021 both seem to have been the Ultimate edition (even though the Humble one was advertised as Standard).

The Humble one was the standard edition. The game was never sold as anything but the ultimate edition on Steam (or anywhere else on PC before that Humble monthly), so activating a Humble key will still say it's ultimate edition because it's baked into the name of the game. They had to slap a disclaimer on the redeem page and of course Humble oh-so-conveniently had its own discrete DLC bundle ready to go alongside it.

But a ton of people either didn't see the disclaimer or got the key as a gift, see that it says ultimate edition on Steam, and only seem to cotton on when people start talking about the DLC areas they never saw in their "ultimate" edition.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Dec 26, 2022

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

F.I.S.T. is up on EGS, apparently the teaser is for Severed Steel

i still have DS Directors Cut in my library so it seems they're just eating the loss on that

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

repiv posted:

F.I.S.T. is up on EGS, apparently the teaser is for Severed Steel

i still have DS Directors Cut in my library so it seems they're just eating the loss on that

I have two copies somehow

Sorry?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

the second library entry is for the artbook

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
fist looks pretty neat. i'm gonna play it.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

John Murdoch posted:

The Humble one was the standard edition. The game was never sold as anything but the ultimate edition on Steam (or anywhere else on PC before that Humble monthly), so activating a Humble key will still say it's ultimate edition because it's baked into the name of the game. They had to slap a disclaimer on the redeem page and of course Humble oh-so-conveniently had its own discrete DLC bundle ready to go alongside it.

But a ton of people either didn't see the disclaimer or got the key as a gift, see that it says ultimate edition on Steam, and only seem to cotton on when people start talking about the DLC areas they never saw in their "ultimate" edition.

Wow, I didn't remember any of that; how terrible. You can even see the alternate depots for Steam's "Control Ultimate Edition" at:
https://steamdb.info/app/870780/depots/

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
F.I.S.T. from today's epic freebies is pretty neat

It seems to have more story focus than I'd expect from a metroidvania but maybe that's just the intro. Now I'm airdashing around, throwing baddies into other baddies, and beating an old racooon kung fu master's combo trials to convince him to teach me new moves so i can grow powerful enough to steal The Drill from the cops. (I don't know what the drill is.)

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
New GOG Giveaway: One of the bad Worms games

One more giveaway from them on the 30th...

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

F.I.S.T. from today's epic freebies is pretty neat

It seems to have more story focus than I'd expect from a metroidvania but maybe that's just the intro. Now I'm airdashing around, throwing baddies into other baddies, and beating an old racooon kung fu master's combo trials to convince him to teach me new moves so i can grow powerful enough to steal The Drill from the cops. (I don't know what the drill is.)

I watched the video on the store page and if I had to guess... it's a literal drill, mate. Like you see on the front of this thing:

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Severed Steel is today's Epic giveaway game: https://store.epicgames.com/en-US/p/severed-steel

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

nitsuga posted:

Severed Steel is today's Epic giveaway game: https://store.epicgames.com/en-US/p/severed-steel

This game is a blast to play and still gets updates with new content. Worth the money on any day imo.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

worms revolution gold on gog

https://www.gog.com/

e: whoops, missed it a few posts above

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

nitsuga posted:

Don’t forget to claim the free art book for you to never read/ look at.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
This is up now. Dishonored 2's a GOG key, the SNK stuff is through Amazon's client as always.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

I am never going to play Dishonored 2 NNEK66923EFA623165

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

cenotaph posted:

I am never going to play Dishonored 2
Thanks

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i already own it, so here you go NNEK3BF160A5DEA169

AndyAML
Jul 24, 2006

HEY BASS WHY MUST I FIGHT YOU WE ARE NOT ENEMIES

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i already own it, so here you go NNEK3BF160A5DEA169
Grabbed this one, thank you!

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

I already own it as well, someone take this NNEKFAE49F37006DD8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

END CHEMTRAILS NOW
Apr 16, 2005

Pillbug

Social Animal posted:

I already own it as well, someone take this
I got this one, thanks! I really liked Dishonored, so I'm looking forward to trying this.