Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Halle-loving-luyah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oberstwo
Aug 19, 2022

I told every Midwesterner that their broncos team was trash if theyd open their eyes for 2 seconds

Broncos fans quick question: why are you so stupid and delusional

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

kiimo posted:

lmao @CBS every year

Lol @ The Broncos beating the Chiefs

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

SalTheBard posted:

Lol @ The Broncos beating the Chiefs

In quantum mechanics, anything is possible, if vanishingly unlikely.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
I like this guy and I can only imagine the pain:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DB6vDjyTlbA

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

Oberstwo posted:

I told every Midwesterner that their broncos team was trash if theyd open their eyes for 2 seconds

Literal lack of oxygen

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
delusional like thinking colorado is the midwest

yay chargers

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing

Pontius Pilate posted:

delusional like thinking colorado is the midwest

yay chargers

Until you get to Denver, it's still Nebraska.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

acidx posted:

There's nothing but cows and prairie dogs until you get to Denver.

epic bacon
Sep 19, 2022

kiimo posted:

lmao @CBS every year

predicting the Broncos would be the 7th seed is weird, and even weirder to say the 7th seed would then win the Super Bowl

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

acidx posted:

Denver residents fighting about being known as the "midwest" as if we don't know that Denver is still basically Nebraskansas until you hit the Eisenhower Tunnel.

Maybe Idaho Springs has an argument but being able to see the end of the midwest doesn't put you any higher up the hill. If you're staring at the mountains from the airport and thinking man this isn't the midwest at all, turn around and look east

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Oberstwo posted:

sir it's best to go down with the ship even if you can see the iceberg from miles and miles away

solarjetman
Jan 27, 2001

Fun Shoe

epic bacon posted:

predicting the Broncos would be the 7th seed is weird, and even weirder to say the 7th seed would then win the Super Bowl

6th or 7th seed is about where I thought they'd be pre-season. But the idea that they'd win 3 road playoff games, when they haven't even kept it close in a road playoff game since '97, is nuts.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Yeah, I wasn't very hyped about Hackett or Russ, but my expectations were fringe playoff team. 8-9 wins and maybe stumble into 10-7. I thought Russ would at least be mediocre, and that it would be tough to be a worse coach than Fangio.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
Is Russ bad or is the team around Russ bad? It seems like the story for the last few years has always been "With a QB the Broncos will be the poo poo."

Looking at his 2021 numbers, he missed 2 games but threw for 3,113 yards, 25 TDs and 6 Ints. Those numbers (at least to me) don't seem awful. The biggest difference I see between his numbers from 2021 and 2022 are his almost 1:1 TD to Int ration (12:9). I'm just shocked that the Broncos have just been SO bad this year.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

SalTheBard posted:

Is Russ bad or is the team around Russ bad? It seems like the story for the last few years has always been "With a QB the Broncos will be the poo poo."

Looking at his 2021 numbers, he missed 2 games but threw for 3,113 yards, 25 TDs and 6 Ints. Those numbers (at least to me) don't seem awful. The biggest difference I see between his numbers from 2021 and 2022 are his almost 1:1 TD to Int ration (12:9). I'm just shocked that the Broncos have just been SO bad this year.

Either he has totally checked out or the coaching was the problem. So often it looked like he had never actually practiced with his teammates and just the way the offense was set up, it was never going to work.

I don't know, it's probably a combination of him being cooked and absolutely awful coaching. But it's rather stunning how bad it got to be, that defense is/was excellent before they gave up last week, the offense shouldn't be anywhere near this bad, Russ has not been an improvement upon when Drew Lock was running the show. DREW LOCK. I mean, come on here.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

The offense in Seattle was the Russ offense and he had two WRs in Lockett and Metcalf who knew his tendencies and how to work with him. Now he’s got a bunch of guys who expect him to run the offense as designed and that’s just not what Russ does. When things aren’t working he reverts to hero ball.

He’s also physically deteriorating and that may be loving yo his mechanics.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Grittybeard posted:

I don't know, it's probably a combination of him being cooked and absolutely awful coaching.

I'm convinced it's being cooked, awful coaching, AND offensive injuries well above the mean. The loss of Javonte Williams had an under-appreciated impact, to say nothing of an offensive line that is unrecognizable compared to the start of the season.

So this leads to a warped sense of optimism for next season. We might find ourselves back to Teddy Bridgewater levels of of scoring!

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

The Broncos are winning the super tecmo bowl next year.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

The thing about Russell is what made him great was his processing speed and making the right throws at the right time. He's looked awful at the mental aspect and I didn't see that coming.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
What I can't figure out is why they gently caress they played him in that game to begin with. He's less than 2 weeks out from a devastating concussion, Denver has been eliminated from the playoffs. Give the guy a loving chance to recover, you don't have poo poo to play for. If you really want him to play in ONE game have him play in the game against the Chiefs since beating the Chiefs is like the equivalent of winning the Super Bowl at this point. He should not have been playing against the loving 4-10 Rams, it's criminal.

solarjetman
Jan 27, 2001

Fun Shoe
I do think a big part of Wilson's problem is coaching. Even leaving aside scheme, a good coach just makes a quarterback look better. Josh Allen and Daniel Jones did not look nearly as good before Daboll started working with them.

The Tim Patrick injury really hurt as well, that guy was reliable as hell. A lot of the pre-season hype centered around the idea that Russ had a good supporting cast; Sutton and Jeudy turned out to be overrated (though Jeudy seems to have turned it around a bit). In reality that WR corps overall was probably a downgrade from Metcalf and Lockett. They also haven't had O-line continuity and the run game is extremely boring and uncreative compared to what other teams are doing.

But it's not all that. He's made egregious mental errors and a lot of the sacks are his fault. The common factor in all of Russ's supposedly bad offensive lines is Russ. This'll make me sound like an old reactionary, and I am old, but I think this is a case where the player having a bunch of leverage over the coach and organization is a big problem. The fact that Russ has his own personal QB coach, gets his own office in the Broncos facilities, and asked for and was given control over the design of the offense, can't have possibly improved things. NBA stars and truly great quarterbacks deserve and can handle that sort of arrangement but Wilson isn't, doesn't and can't. The only way this offense can be decent next year is if the new coach comes in and says, "You can't be on a pedestal anymore; you have to earn your job and listen to your coaches like everyone else. I have to pay you but I don't have to play you." Any potential coach interviewing for the team needs to reject the job if ownership doesn't have their back when they say that.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

SalTheBard posted:

Big picture, a little bit of everything has gone wrong. You can blame it on bad playcalling or bad play design, and there's plenty of tape out there to support your argument, but there's also plenty of tape of Russ not seeing wide open receivers or Russ just making bad throws and missing guys.

You can blame the OLine for the sacks, and again the tape is out there to prove your point. But there's just as much tape of Russ eating sacks when he really shouldn't be.

You can go down the list: receivers, running backs, whoever is the same story. For his part, Russ looks fat and slow and can't move. This version of Russ is not going to work at all. Whether or not he can get back to some version of old Russ and cause chaos for defenses with his feet, I'm not sure. I'm not positive in the outlook though because it seems like his legs were leaving him at the end in Seattle.

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

Broncos fans run

https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/1607785141551628289?t=SMvnKyPK1cFYsGPXchJBCg&s=19

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

Simplex posted:

You can blame the OLine for the sacks, and again the tape is out there to prove your point. But there's just as much tape of Russ eating sacks when he really shouldn't be.

Russ has always done this. It's just its now not balanced out with RWBS plays to move things along on the scoreboard. Now its just sacks

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

EmbryoSteve posted:

Russ has always done this. It's just its now not balanced out with RWBS plays to move things along on the scoreboard. Now its just sacks

Yeah, that's the big concern for me. He's never been a Lamar Jackson or Kyler Murray type of runner, but he was the best of that next tier of mobile quarterbacks. You could live with him eating a lot of sacks because he made a lot of plays with his legs.

Now he's just another guy, who eats a lot of sacks. And what concerns me is that it just doesn't seem to be clicking for him that he can't take those sacks if he's not going to run. You want to be Drew Brees? Fine, get rid of the ball. Your body is letting you down? Fine, get rid of the ball.

Instead he takes a lovely sack on 2nd and 10, then of course the 3rd string UDFA guard doesn't hold up on 3rd and 16.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'm beginning to think that my pact with Satan to win Super Bowl 50 has long term repercussions

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

You got a ring then and we get laughs now, a fair and even trade tbh

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

I agree with Schlereth's take on 104.3 The Fan — Denver's Broncos Sports Talk Radio that Hackett was too much of a "fan" (as evidenced by his okey dokey press conferences about getting Russ). It also tracks with the rumor that Russ was driving a lot of the playbook. Pairing a first year head coach with a QB trying to reinvent himself just wasn't a smart idea in retrospect. What we need right now is someone who the team respects but also fears a little (e.g. of the mold of Shanahan/Gibbs/etc). Someone who can basically tell Russ "You're running my playbook or you sit. I don't care how much you're paid." Sounds like Dan Quinn is the consensus candidate because there's no way in hell we're getting Payton (with or without Fangio). edit: just sitting here thinking about the idea of having a Peyton/Payton/Paton situation.

I think Russ is cooked and we're gonna do two years and then drop him like a spicy subway sandwich, and go through at least one more coach in the process. I have no idea what's going on with George Paton.

As for me, since Kubiak quit I've been that wolverine in bed meme staring at a picture of Bill Cowher.

Also

kiimo posted:

Denver residents fighting about being known as the "midwest" as if we don't know that Denver is still basically Nebraskansas until you hit the Eisenhower Tunnel.

Maybe Idaho Springs has an argument but being able to see the end of the midwest doesn't put you any higher up the hill. If you're staring at the mountains from the airport and thinking man this isn't the midwest at all, turn around and look east

It stopped being the midwest after everyone moved here and started calling it soda. :colbert:

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

This sounds like a recipe for loving disaster.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Schefter reported that most teams are setup that way; with the GM and the HC both reporting to the owner. I have no idea if this is true ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Also I did a Google to see who Andy Reid reports to and, Chiefs fans, Bleacher Report regrets to inform you that it’s not going to work out…

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

waffle enthusiast posted:

Schefter reported that most teams are setup that way; with the GM and the HC both reporting to the owner. I have no idea if this is true ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Also I did a Google to see who Andy Reid reports to and, Chiefs fans, Bleacher Report regrets to inform you that it’s not going to work out…

I unironically felt this same way. I wanted the franchise burned to the ground. I didn't want the castoffs from Philly and the 49ers coming in to make the team worse and whelp........

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
The Chargers

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

https://twitter.com/espn/status/1608179343372558338?s=20&t=_jd0T7J58SJSnK5cPKXTXg

https://twitter.com/theathletic/status/1608241282085978112?s=46&t=oeR-RljGr8vLbPqor50XNw

Wheres my man MrLogan

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

why would they let go of a future first ballot hall of famer

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

LiquidFriend posted:

why would they let go of a future first ballot hall of famer

Sad that Carr's career ends this way since he said he'll never play for another team

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
What have I missed here?

I mean honestly he's a problem on the Raiders and not a small one, but I'm not sure he was the problem. And I'm going to go out on a limb and say Jarrett Stidham is not the solution to anything.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Grittybeard posted:

What have I missed here?

I mean honestly he's a problem on the Raiders and not a small one, but I'm not sure he was the problem. And I'm going to go out on a limb and say Jarrett Stidham is not the solution to anything.

Remember the last time McDaniels coached a team with a pretty decent QB?

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

a neat cape posted:

Remember the last time McDaniels coached a team with a pretty decent QB?

Raiders drafting Max Duggan first round?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

I guess that short era with Kyle Orton was pretty neat.