Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Inceltown posted:

Are you only just finding out how they make peanut butter today?
If that's just the "there are tiny pieces of bugs in every mass-produced food" then yah, I'm aware, I was just wondering if there was some even worse version of marmite made from grasshopper bile or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

I was just making a joke there about how peanut butter isn't really made from peanuts and Big Spread is keeping the truth from you.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

birdsnest soup is made out of bird spit iirc

franco
Jan 3, 2003

Organza Quiz posted:

Do little kids think that shopping centre santas are the actual santa? Is there a period kids go through where they know that one is just a guy but they still think the real one is out there?

Just one person here, but I knew they weren't the real deal while also believing in real Santa when I was little.

What is it with wikipedia and heights? Look up pretty much anybody notable and there's their height in the main details. And they're incredibly specific. Are random editors just guessing or is there some secret cabal that requires every Hollywood actor to be measured before they're allowed into the guild or something? I did a Godwin's Law and looked up Hitler. Yep - height right there!

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

franco posted:

What is it with wikipedia and heights? Look up pretty much anybody notable and there's their height in the main details. And they're incredibly specific. Are random editors just guessing or is there some secret cabal that requires every Hollywood actor to be measured before they're allowed into the guild or something? I did a Godwin's Law and looked up Hitler. Yep - height right there!

Funny you mention that, I was looking at this article earlier, and was wishing that her height was listed somewhere.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucile_Abreu

Wikipedia posted:

"[Abreu] passed the sergeant's test 67 times, but was never promoted because she was a woman, and did not meet the minimum height requirement of 5 feet 8 inches (173 cm)."

Such Fun
May 6, 2013

franco posted:

Just one person here, but I knew they weren't the real deal while also believing in real Santa when I was little.

I’ve not seen what you describe, but I’m guessing that when a height in metric gets converted to imperial you get some numbers that are unusually precise.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Also height is a good Wikipedia style fact because it's objective, unchanging and mostly harmless. At a guess, actors would have it in their bios and dead guys (like Hitler) would have it in their file.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Also it’s an attribute that every person has, so an easy way to contribute to Wikipedia is to find a person without a height listed, find an article with their height, and add it.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

BonHair posted:

Also height is a good Wikipedia style fact because it's objective, unchanging and mostly harmless. At a guess, actors would have it in their bios and dead guys (like Hitler) would have it in their file.

This makes me wonder: would they change someone's height if they lost both legs? Technically they're shorter. But you can't exactly have them stand up to measure them.

How is the height of someone who can't stand up straight listed on their ID (for countries that do it) anyway?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I think doctors are the only ones who continually monitor height. Drivers license will just keep printing the same value you originally gave them forever.

How do nurses and doctors measure the height of someone with osteoporosis? Probably just wing it.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

(US centric question) Why are banks, which you'd think would be the most concerned with security, so bad about 2FA? None of the places I have a bank account or credit card allow for the use of Google Authenticator or similar, they all just rely on SMS or calling and giving you a code. Seems weird to me

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

My friend had muscular dystrophy and couldn't stand up. He still had an official height, even if it was never relevant. I think the doctors did their best guess more or less, since it was a thoroughly pointless measure in his case

Trickortreat
Oct 31, 2020
Tell me about liquid fabric softener. Are they a really just a clever marketing ploy? What are some other alternatives? I just hate having to clear out the place where I pour in the fabric softener and this morning I found globs of the fabric softener paste all over the inside of my washing machine. Does this mean I'm using too much? Will using hot water resolve this issue?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Badger of Basra posted:

(US centric question) Why are banks, which you'd think would be the most concerned with security, so bad about 2FA? None of the places I have a bank account or credit card allow for the use of Google Authenticator or similar, they all just rely on SMS or calling and giving you a code. Seems weird to me

I have no actual knowledge as such on this topic, but in time-honored tradition I will not let that stop me from speculating wildly :v:

First off obviously is cost. It does cost some to implement extra security features. Second is cost again, in that the extra security features also increase your support burden from having to teach users how to navigate your systems -- both from an installation standpoint and a usage standpoint. 99+% (number pulled from the Sunless Lands) of people do not know how authenticator apps work. So you have to either be willing to limit your audience to the people that do understand them, or have to teach all of your users about them and how to install them and set them up. And even assuming they do get them set up, they'll invariably gently caress up the sign-in process, or get locked out of their phones or something.

On a related note, banks have to work for people that don't have smartphones. Are you prepared to give new customers authenticator tokens? They're fairly cheap little gadgets, but they're not free.

On top of all of this, banking leadership (a largely non-technical group) has to be convinced both of the value of security, and that your proposal will provide substantially more security than what they're already doing. In the USA at least, leadership's priorities are probably going to lean more towards how to acquire more users and how to get to make riskier investments with those users' money.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I have no actual knowledge as such on this topic, but in time-honored tradition I will not let that stop me from speculating wildly :v:

Same here, and I will expand the above with my impression from working right at the edge of banking IT security: banks tend to care about security for two reasons: they're required to conform to regulation (non-compliance leads to getting closed) or the bank itself losing money from but having it. Sensible MFA is unfortunately not in either category yet.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Trickortreat posted:

Tell me about liquid fabric softener. Are they a really just a clever marketing ploy? What are some other alternatives? I just hate having to clear out the place where I pour in the fabric softener and this morning I found globs of the fabric softener paste all over the inside of my washing machine. Does this mean I'm using too much? Will using hot water resolve this issue?

You don't need really need fabric softener imo. It's good for woolen textiles and sweaters though.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Trickortreat posted:

It works like hair conditioner: it coats the fibres of the fabric in poo poo so it feels less like fabric. However it also coats all the tubes in your washing machine, as you have discovered. Probably don't use it. If you really need to soften something I hear vinegar works well

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Soften water, not fabric

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Badger of Basra posted:

I'm in Canada but do work specifically on 2FA for financial institutions. A big part is that banks care about risk and security but care even more about their customers' perception of risk and security, and their most important customers are old people (because they have all the money), and that demographic tends to not trust computers/the internet/Google. I've pushed for TOTP (Google auth) and FIs just don't go for it. It's very frustrating.

Edit: also, to be fair, SMS/email 2FA is pretty good for the threat model FIs need to deal with, so it's not entirely irrational. An attacker gaining access to a single bank account can't really do that much damage, worst case they transfer out a bunch of money that's often reversible. Banks worry more about many compromised accounts and any 2FA cuts that down a ton.

Trapick fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Dec 26, 2022

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

First off obviously is cost. It does cost some to implement extra security features. Second is cost again, in that the extra security features also increase your support burden from having to teach users how to navigate your systems -- both from an installation standpoint and a usage standpoint. 99+% (number pulled from the Sunless Lands) of people do not know how authenticator apps work. So you have to either be willing to limit your audience to the people that do understand them, or have to teach all of your users about them and how to install them and set them up. And even assuming they do get them set up, they'll invariably gently caress up the sign-in process, or get locked out of their phones or something.

On a related note, banks have to work for people that don't have smartphones. Are you prepared to give new customers authenticator tokens? They're fairly cheap little gadgets, but they're not free.

On top of all of this, banking leadership (a largely non-technical group) has to be convinced both of the value of security, and that your proposal will provide substantially more security than what they're already doing. In the USA at least, leadership's priorities are probably going to lean more towards how to acquire more users and how to get to make riskier investments with those users' money.

this is true but it's true for all kinds of other businesses that DO use Google Auth

Trapick posted:

I'm in Canada but do work specifically on 2FA for financial institutions. A big part is that banks care about risk and security but care even more about their customers' perception of risk and security, and their most important customers are old people (because they have all the money), and that demographic tends to not trust computers/the internet/Google. I've pushed for TOTP (Google auth) and FIs just don't go for it. It's very frustrating.

this makes more sense

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I like the smell it adds to clothes. If it wasn't for that, I wouldn't use it. My life also drastically changed when I learned you're not supposed to use fabric softener for towels. The drying experience is so much better. Plus, if you have a tumble dryer, fabric softener becomes even less of a requirement. I used to dry my clothes on a line and they'd be crispy if I didn't use fabric softener, but this isn't an issue with a tumble dryer.

franco
Jan 3, 2003

Such Fun posted:

I’ve not seen what you describe, but I’m guessing that when a height in metric gets converted to imperial you get some numbers that are unusually precise.

Well I think I have sort of solved it apart from where the data is pulled from (if anywhere). Looks like a Google thing that you get in the sidebar if you search that usually links to the wiki page. Seems like it's only that and there's no reference in the wiki page itself usually. I get it in metric. Maybe fishmech works for Google now?

Here's dear Adolf to demonstrate what I was assuming was wiki:

My search algorithm is now poisoned.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

King Carnivore
Dec 17, 2007

Graveyard Disciple
People are just interested in the heights of famous personages. If you Google FIRST NAME LAST NAME of a famous person, “FIRST NAME LAST NAME height” is often among the top search suggestions, so it makes sense to have that info in the sidebar.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Qubee posted:

I used to dry my clothes on a line and they'd be crispy if I didn't use fabric softener, but this isn't an issue with a tumble dryer.

IME this is caused by using too much soap as well.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I like knowing what height actors are so I can go "hee hee hee either this guy has platform boots or is standing on an apple crate because his co-star is six inches taller than he is"

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I too enjoy Tom Cruise movies.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
I recall an anecdote that took place in a hospital or other medical facility during a war. It was that human corpses were so plentiful that wild dogs could be seen carrying human body parts. They apparently hung around the area and the doctors or nurses would take a pistol and shoot at the dogs every once in a while to scare them off. Sorry for the grim story; but does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Kevin DuBrow posted:

I recall an anecdote that took place in a hospital or other medical facility during a war. It was that human corpses were so plentiful that wild dogs could be seen carrying human body parts. They apparently hung around the area and the doctors or nurses would take a pistol and shoot at the dogs every once in a while to scare them off. Sorry for the grim story; but does anyone know what I'm talking about?

It sounds kind of familiar to me. Maybe from Triage by Scott Anderson? It's been a long time since I read that so I may be mixing it up with something else, but it's what came to mind.

Trickortreat
Oct 31, 2020
All my life I've been told you have to use fabric softener on non-towel items to keep it nice and soft- I'm kind of shocked that may not the case at all. I guess I can try one of those fuzzy balls. I'd been finding random splotches on my newly washed clothes every now and then. I chalked it up to an anomaly, but it looks like it was the gummed up fabric softener smeared all over the inside the drum of my top loading washer machine.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I have literally never used fabric softener. :shrug: It is by no means necessary for a civilised existence.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Same, and it's all plenty soft and comfy when it comes out of the dryer or off the rack.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Same, not once in my life have I used fabric softener, and i even line dry things half of the year. After like 30 seconds of wearing something I really can't tell if it was line dried or tumble dried.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

All you drat millennials are killing the fabric softener industry! :argh:

Fabric softener is dumb

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Trying to remember a weird internet game that was like... a cube?, and you had to trigger simple actions in the right order, like you could sprout the plants and dig the waterfall but if you do the plants first then the waterfall would wash them away, etc. And the goal was to get through all the actions in the right order and turn your cube into a lovely little planetoid or something. Does anyone remember this?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Any chance it's one of those "Grow" games? I remember they were huge on flash sites back in the day. Grow Cube?

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

alnilam posted:

Trying to remember a weird internet game that was like... a cube?, and you had to trigger simple actions in the right order, like you could sprout the plants and dig the waterfall but if you do the plants first then the waterfall would wash them away, etc. And the goal was to get through all the actions in the right order and turn your cube into a lovely little planetoid or something. Does anyone remember this?

GROW

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

alnilam posted:

Samorost. It's been ported to at least Steam and Android.

Edit: Oh, also the Grow series.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Yes it was grow! Thank you

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
While we're on old games, I've been thinking about an old space game I used to play on a buddy's Macintosh Plus. It was two-dimensional, and black&white. Your spaceship would fly around the field avoiding different types of enemies and collecting crystals, and when you collected all of them a 'gate' would open at one end of the map that you'd travel through to proceed to the next level. I might be conflating another game, but I seem to remember the different enemies had names, and one type was called a 'Husket'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
The only space game I remember on Mac's was Escape Velocity but I think that's too new for a Macintosh Plus.

Looking around it seems like it could have been Crystal Raider or Crystal Quest you're thinking of.