Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

BonHair posted:

I'm gonna go ahead and question that assumption. People everywhere will buy and use the cheapest, easiest poo poo, which is gonna be tea bags in a lot of cases (because the actual tea is the cheapest, worst product).

This also tangentially relates to a coffee capitalism tidbit: my coffee guys have specific farms they trade with and actually visit, because they want to both ensure quality and that the farmers are paid fairly (which is not the norm). Anyway, when visiting the farms, they noticed that everyone was drinking tea, on account of the coffee being an expensive cash crop that shouldn't be wasted. They're slowly converting the farmers to actually taste their product, if nothing else because that lets you refine it and thus make it more valuable.

you have fallen into the anglo-american assumption that all consumables are individual single serve. 3 cups of tea for 3 people? 3 tea bags. 3 cups of tea over a day for 1 person? 3 tea bags

lol

people brew kettles of tea, you think they throw 5 bags in there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

it's like saying I'm questioning the assumption that any country doesn't exclusively use keurig cups for their coffee - because people want the easiest poo poo

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

I put as much tea as I want in my little loose leaf jig and that's that.

1 teabag per 5 cups or something sounds like some LaCroix poo poo.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

still can't believe they published this part lol

but yeah has this person not realized that this is an inevitable result of industrial capitalism, and no the capitalists aren't going to give anything up

quote:

Academics and economists told CNBC that an ultimatum from the world’s top climate scientists about the dangers of exceeding 1.5 degrees Celsius of global heating — a critically important temperature threshold beyond which dangerous tipping points become more likely — underscores the need to end an obsession with growth at all costs.

“If they hadn’t realized it 50 years ago that we already needed to shift, I think now is the time because we are confronted with a polycrisis,” Sandrine Dixson-Declève, co-president of the Club of Rome think tank, told CNBC via telephone.

The term “polycrisis” refers to crises that occur in multiple global systems and become entangled in such a way that they produce harms greater than those crises would in aggregate.

“Not only is our planet sick from continued growth scenarios, because we have gone way beyond a healthy use of natural resources, but our people are getting increasingly sick, and our young people are making less and less money,” Dixson-Declève said.

When asked whether that means she believes there is no alternative to a well-being strategy, Dixson-Declève replied, “Yes, absolutely. I often say that we need to shift from power, profit and patriarchy to people, planet and prosperity.”

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

The Demilich posted:

i thought that like the lack of flavour in those drinks was just an overplayed joke

then someone offered me a can of bubly yesterday at the family christmas get-together

it was "black cherry"

i took a sip. it was carbonated water. i could maybe smell the cherry if i tried hard.

the jokes were real.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

The Demilich posted:

this was 30 bucks and will probably make 500 cups lol

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

get a nice brick of Puer and bust it out at social events - you'll thank me later

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mawarannahr posted:

nobody in turkey buys teabags because they’re cheap. a kitchen isn’t a kitchen without a double-decker teapot brewing loose leaf. I’ve only seen students and foreigners use teabags at home.

I'm in Turkey right now and the people I know mostly use tea bags for a quick cup of tea for one or two people, and the double-decker for after dinner or for more people. :shrug:

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
really interested to know more about all of your individual tea drinking habits.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

really interested to know more about all of your individual tea drinking habits.

i buy bottom barrel tea bags of "orange pekoe" shove them in a giant pot three at a time and drink so much all of my dishes are stained brown with tea residue and the dentist comments on it

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

1 cup of honey
A dash of water
A sprig of lavender
1 BBQ flavored pork rind

Enjoy!

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

ekuNNN posted:

I'm in Turkey right now and the people I know mostly use tea bags for a quick cup of tea for one or two people, and the double-decker for after dinner or for more people. :shrug:

you hang out with some fallen motherfuckers, sorry to say

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

The point in contention is not 'do people use tea bags' but 'nobody uses loose leaf'

let's not change goal posts here. a lot of people use loose leaf, and you are an insane shut in or white supremecist to propose otherwise. please self reflect

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

also herbal tea is not tea it's tisanes

tea comes from camelia sinesis and thus has caffeine

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

loose leaf green tea leaving the leaves in the glass Chinese style is the best

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

i’m yerbin atm. it’s good. sometimes I mix in jasmine.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

I'm drinking French press coffee.

I can't believe people like other styles and forms of plant matter in hot water.

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Jesus shut the hell up about tea

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Tea is cool no matter how you drink it, shut up nerds.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

worms butthole guy posted:

Jesus shut the hell up about tea

would you like doomsday economics and biosphere instead? learn to live this if you’re in America and enjoy caffeine: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ilex_vomitoria

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Are they raising the rates they pay so that the farmers can afford to consume the product rather than selling it?

Yeah, they're trying to be a non poo poo sustainable fart sniffing company, so they generally do direct trade and pay around double the normal market rate. It's still capitalism, but they're at least trying.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

apatheticman posted:

Tea is cool no matter how you drink it, shut up nerds.

Well actually, if it's made with hot water it's hot not cool so you're wrong

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
i sometimes use bags I sometimes use loser leaf. the latter tastes More Authentic but it’s harder to get the leaves out of the diffuser after. this is a metaphor for life

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
There are definitely some poo poo-tier teas (hi, Lipton!), but there is bagged poo poo that's . . . OK. There really is a huge difference going to loose leaf, though, since the production method for bagged tea mangles the gently caress out of the leaves, and it is pretty noticeable in the result.

Besides, loose leaf isn't really all that hard to do. Heat up some water, steep some leaves, and you're done. It's, like, one extra step vs. bags, and it makes a huge difference.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Just throw them in the cup and drink them with the tea. Some extra fiber and veggies in the diet and fewer steps overall than bagged tea

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
I also heard a rumor, probably on these forums and maybe itt, that tea bags are made out of plastic and now I can’t help but let out a nihilistic laugh every time I make teas

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

Loose leaf supremacy

Plastic Teabags Release Billions of Microparticles and Nanoparticles into Tea

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

"Uh actually the plastic helps the caffeine get to your brain betterer stop being a doomer"

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
PYF tea

https://perennialtearoom.com/products/citrus-mint-licorice-bulk?variant=39504156917835

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

yeah I’m doing that nihilistic laughing thing again. lol. lmao.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Centrist Committee posted:

I also heard a rumor, probably on these forums and maybe itt, that tea bags are made out of plastic and now I can’t help but let out a nihilistic laugh every time I make teas

I know some teabags are made entirely of plastic in turkey. this is the bestselling herbal tea brand there and health features heavily in its marketing. they sell it in the health food section and they serve it at the kind of cafes/restaurants with industrial decor and avocado on the menu. it makes people who buy it feel a little fancy.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

actionjackson posted:

also herbal tea is not tea it's tisanes

tea comes from camelia sinesis and thus has caffeine
Ackshually,

I order my weirder teas from the same place, they're good.

https://perennialtearoom.com/collections/smoky-and-roasty-teas/products/russian-caravan-smoky-bulk

cat botherer has issued a correction as of 22:13 on Dec 26, 2022

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I’ve only come across a couple types of plastic bags. aren’t most teas in paper?

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Professor Shark posted:

I’ve only come across a couple types of plastic bags. aren’t most teas in paper?
Only the fancy ones are plastic (not really joking).

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Tea tastes like dirt.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Arivia posted:

i buy bottom barrel tea bags of "orange pekoe" shove them in a giant pot three at a time and drink so much all of my dishes are stained brown with tea residue and the dentist comments on it

Pretty much this, I've been told to rinse my teeth with some water after drinking tea.

Professor Shark posted:

Turns out plastic paper combos are more durable and they use a plastic glue to seal em to not use staples anymore

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I drink Roctane ultra endurance Summit Tea. I’m not sure how you’d classify that though.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Centrist Committee posted:

The plastic thing has been said a couple of times in the last few pages, but glorious Yorkshire Tea comes in plant based bags.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Arivia posted:

i thought that like the lack of flavour in those drinks was just an overplayed joke

then someone offered me a can of bubly yesterday at the family christmas get-together

it was "black cherry"

i took a sip. it was carbonated water. i could maybe smell the cherry if i tried hard.

the jokes were real.

Congrats on the Covid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

i had an ekg done in zambia the same day a nurse recommended it, for free, with zero wait time

lol :patriot:

Actually even ekgs are free and day of in my experience too surprisingly. I'm sure it won't last.