Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

TotalLossBrain posted:

Gary, the latest earnings call is in and the results are magnanimous:. Go gently caress yourself

I think you mean unanimous :ssh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/bpAjk2I.mp4

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Dick Burglar posted:

I think you mean unanimous :ssh:

Is that the CFO, with a STEEL CHAIR???

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

mind the walrus posted:

Do we have any actual hard source from Dan O'Bannon or Ridley Scott's team on this? Because I literally never heard this being said for 20 straight years until Reddit TIL posts started spreading the idea.

Dan said it himself in a micro-memoir of sorts which I've seen referenced many times but can't find on my phone at the moment.

This guy posted:

“Works of fiction weren’t my only sources,” explained Alien writer Dan O’Bannon in his reflective essay, Something Perfectly Disgusting. “I also patterned the Alien’s life cycle on real-life parasites … parasitic wasps treat caterpillars in an altogether revolting manner, the study of which I recommend to anyone tired of having good dreams…” The connection between the Alien and insect reproductive cycles was so crucial that O’Bannon identified it as of “core psychological significance” before quoting biology and science journalist Carl Zimmer: “when an alien bursts out of a movie actor’s chest … it is nature itself that is bursting through, and it terrifies us.”

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Pissed Ape Sexist posted:

Dan said it himself in a micro-memoir of sorts which I've seen referenced many times but can't find on my phone at the moment.

Still giving this and director's commentary the side-eye because a blog post in 2012 and a director's commentary track from Scott's "let's use the Alien franchise as a trojan horse to get a large budget and doing tech experiments with terrible scripts" period in the 2010s doesn't explain why it never seemed to be mentioned in any of the marketing materials prior to Reddit popularizing the concept.

Like, PR people exist and them telling Scott and Bannon to inject a viral story into the myth would be pretty standard-issue Entertainment Industry bullshit.

I'm not going to mistake absence of prior evidence as evidence of absence, but let's be real-- you know exactly where I'm coming from and you know that there's even money I'm right on that hunch.

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump
i have no idea where you're coming from - what?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Don't try to bait me dude, and don't make your subliteracy another person's problem.

King Carnivore
Dec 17, 2007

Graveyard Disciple
I don’t know why you find it to be such a far-fetched concept. The existence of parasitic wasps isn’t some arcane fact known to very few, they made Darwin question the nature of god back in 1860:

Charles Darwin posted:

I cannot persuade myself that a beneficent and omnipotent God would have designedly created parasitic wasps with the express intention of their feeding within the living bodies of Caterpillars.

Why do you find it so hard to believe that creatures who’s young gestates inside a living host and then forcibly emerge from the host’s body body, killing the host were part of the inspiration for a creature who’s young gestates inside a living host and then forcibly emerge from the host’s body, killing the host?

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump

mind the walrus posted:

Don't try to bait me dude, and don't make your subliteracy another person's problem.

you got mad at the cat piss shower and now you're getting mad at parasitic wasps - what??

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

No oNe WaNtS tO woRk ANyMorE.

Stupid entitled millennials.

Etc.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Gaze long enough into the cursed images, and the cursed images will gaze back into you

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

gently caress gary

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Captain Hygiene posted:

Gaze long enough into the cursed images, and the cursed images will gaze back into you

I mean with Goatse "long enough" is basically the second you look, as the gazing back it pretty much instantaneous.

As all good art should.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Speaking of good art,

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
Why is Trump like 10 feet tall?

Fly with me
Aug 19, 2006

Single-handedly repopulating the Earth.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
Don’t I poop?

Scare me easily.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

mind the walrus posted:

Still giving this and director's commentary the side-eye because a blog post in 2012 and a director's commentary track from Scott's "let's use the Alien franchise as a trojan horse to get a large budget and doing tech experiments with terrible scripts" period in the 2010s doesn't explain why it never seemed to be mentioned in any of the marketing materials prior to Reddit popularizing the concept.

Like, PR people exist and them telling Scott and Bannon to inject a viral story into the myth would be pretty standard-issue Entertainment Industry bullshit.

I'm not going to mistake absence of prior evidence as evidence of absence, but let's be real-- you know exactly where I'm coming from and you know that there's even money I'm right on that hunch.

They did the commentary track in 2003. Not 2010.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Also that is insane lmao. Conspiracy theories about the making of alien

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Creature posted:

Don’t I poop?

Scare me easily.

:hmmyes:

The General
Mar 4, 2007

A onesie might not be for you if you poop easily.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Has anyone ever tried one of those pajamas with the rear end flap

e: https://www.amazon.com/Mieeyali-Jumpsuit-Bodycon-Pajamas-Onesies/dp/B08Q42R9JJ/ref=sr_1_10?keywords=Flapjack+Pajamas&qid=1672126325&sr=8-10 lol

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Icon Of Sin posted:

We doing cursed nature right now?

Parastoid wasp larvae emerging from unfortunate caterpillar host. These types of wasp were the inspiration for the chestburster phase of the xenomorph lifecycle in Aliens.

God's beautiful little miracles! :allears:

Turpitude II
Nov 10, 2014

Pissed Ape Sexist posted:

additionally: was also inspired by his crohn's disease

https://thefactsource.com/alien-chestburster-was-inspired-by-writers-crohns-disease/

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Yes. Not a fan.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Its a flap not a fan.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

wesleywillis posted:

Its a flap not a fan.

Thank god, wouldn't want the poo poo to hit a fan

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

https://youtu.be/Nw5GVLbZzs0

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

"Hey Gary, am I getting a cut of those profits? No? Cool, cool...oh also, do you pay my phone bill? Also no? Even better - so suck a hot poo poo out of my rear end, Gary."

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Liquid Chicken posted:

Mmmmmmmm soo loamy!

Oh for peat's sake

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Oh for peat's sake

Let's not get bogged down in the nitty-gritty.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Just sod off, you all

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Oh for peat's sake

You’re gonna be coal under pressure sooner or later if you keep this up!

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I made a joke in the elon musk thread, and someone decided to use it as inspiration.

Withnail posted:

Fine. I'll get it out of the way.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/XQpHRzi.gifv

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

This keyboard looks like it just got home from a GWAR concert.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Whatdidyouthinkwouldhappen.mp4

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/fuckedupfoods/status/1607865136320057344?t=NWzPCTrPP1Bn-TyGeR-w8A&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

mind the walrus posted:

Jesus dude lmao