Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pryce
May 21, 2011

CitizenKeen posted:

Those are two different distinctions, yeah?

Kind of! Dead can't nominate (though they can technically be nominated due to some fun roles).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

Morpheus posted:

I've played maybe four or five games of the Flamme Rouge single player variant and I have no idea how you win that without just being incredibly lucky. Played a game today due to power outage in a huge winter storm (thanks climate change) and I drew a single exhaustion card the entire game, was able to make a mad sprint at the end, and the peleton team still sprinted one step ahead of me. Ooooh frustrating.

Still one of my favourite games, and I'm very annoyed at how much I want to get Heat now, thanks SUSD.
And now I also have to buy Heat.

Flamme Rouge is the game that was the lightbulb moment for bringing me fully into the hobby and, along with Azul, is my most played game because it's so good with new people. I'm in the process of moving house so space is at a premium, but once things are settled and I have sorted out my current game collection I am pretty sure that will be the next thing that I buy for myself.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

HEAT seems like such a good package. Might be the best auto racing game for me since OG Rallyman.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Redundant posted:

Flamme Rouge is the game that was the lightbulb moment for bringing me fully into the hobby and, along with Azul, is my most played game because it's so good with new people. I'm in the process of moving house so space is at a premium, but once things are settled and I have sorted out my current game collection I am pretty sure that will be the next thing that I buy for myself.

It really is, but some goons have this weird aversion to rec it because like.. stories of new people just playing their highest card and then complain that they just have exhaustion and get upset? Like do people play with idiots or something? Maybe they don't explain the game very well? I've knocked out dozens of this game with diverse groups and nobody has ever had an issue. Should be rec'd more

Flamme Rouge got that:

1) easy to identify objective
2) reusable mechanic loopback of "play [roll] a number and move dudes across the board"
3) easy to evaluate relative positions
4) little setup and explanation
5) small decision space to keep the game moving

also, if you play Queen during the game, it drastically improves the experience

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i think flamme rouge takes a little bit too long to lay the track out considering a race is uaully not very long and that's literally my only complaint, i love everything else about it

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Literally only one goon ever said anything negative about FR, in the last thread.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
sounds like what a member of the goon hivemind would say

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

jesus WEP posted:

i think flamme rouge takes a little bit too long to lay the track out considering a race is uaully not very long and that's literally my only complaint, i love everything else about it

I think that’s fair to an extent, it’s like The Magnificent in that way, the setup takes about half as much time as the game itself. FR is still great , people do get some bad feels sometimes if they don’t understand how to win , but its quick and one game you can learn it.

Played 3 games of Heat now and it’s pretty fun, it’s a really good iteration on the FR mechanics into a longer and more complex game.

Macdoo
Jul 24, 2012

Bad Tabletop Opinions Haver

Rockman Reserve posted:

:w00t: my copy of Blood on the Clocktower arrived. I haven't even opened the box yet but is there anything I should know to make it run smoothly? I think I'm having a bunch of people over to play on NYE.

Ran my first few games a few weeks back and I think stuff that isn't explicitly covered by the book:

- Let the players own their choices. The game comes with a fantastic 1 page explainer you can just read out before your first game and I found that honestly it was all the players really needed. Only thing would be to suggest at the start that they can leave the circle during the day if they'd like to chat or scheme if that works for your venue. I found much more than that either 1) confused them or 2) made them feel like they were doing stuff wrong. Let them ask you for clarification and give them reminders of what is going on in the game but don't give advice unless explicitly asked imo.

- mistakes are almost certain. Take your time before or during the night phase to double check things. The players can chat to each other at night (make sure to let them know) so an extra minute or two is normally not a problem. Even if you make a mistake you can just declare "I made a mistake last night"... And then don't tell them what it was (or catch up with the affected player during the day)

- I found being a bit theatrical and playing up the "evil Puppetmaster" persona really ties everything together. Ben Burns on NRB does stuff like this all the time and I pilfered a lot of his little gags. Fake-out wins, deaths based on the person who died. I'd set a minimum and maximum day length in my head then would wait for a funny/annoying moment to jump into the circle shouting something like "I'm tired of your chatter!! Time for nominations!"

- related to the above but I found keeping a slightly adversarial relationship was handy for when they were trying to be sneaky and tricking me into confirming information for them. Any information that is not explicitly public (e.g. if that person woke during the night) should not be confirmed in public. Offer to chat to them in private about it. The sneaky bastards might still try though!

Macdoo fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Dec 24, 2022

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/251309/first-edition-english-rulebook

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Very belated BGN post, with bonus content.

Played a 4-player game of Powergrid to start. Three players, self included, were first timers. Actually a pretty fun game! Lacks some punch and the end of the game couldn't possibly be more anticlimactic, but for whatever complaints I may have I didn't at all notice how long we ended up playing for, which is great, and I never really felt bored or itching to glance at my phone or whatever. Would play again.

Next we played five or six games of Codenames. I've posted previously about not particularly liking Codenames, and possibly guessing games in general, but I had a really good time this go around! Chalk it up to the table energy, players, what have you, but it clicked. Good fun.

Finally got Skulls of Sedlec and ROVE after some mix-up (I ordered incorrectly) and delay. When I had to add some stuff to my order because I messed up the first go, customer service was excellent, and contra the first shipment the order showed up in less than a week. The two games are very very different so I won't choose a favorite. I will say, after many plays, Skulls might like an expansion pretty early on for new face cards. Either way it's just super relaxing and fun. Get some cards down, make a shape, score. ROVE, on the other hand, is not relaxing at all! Practically got steam coming out my ears at times but I do really like it.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

Literally only one goon ever said anything negative about FR, in the last thread.

I found it kind of boring my first time. I played it again at some point and found it fine, maybe I was just not in the mood, but it never set my hair on fire either. I think I just found it too hard to guess what I was supposed to be doing, so I felt like I was just playing random cards.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

PerniciousKnid posted:

I found it kind of boring my first time. I played it again at some point and found it fine, maybe I was just not in the mood, but it never set my hair on fire either. I think I just found it too hard to guess what I was supposed to be doing, so I felt like I was just playing random cards.

I've played Flamme Rouge a couple of times and never found it interesting. You're not "playing random cards" as you put it - there is definitely strategy to conserving your cards and using slipstreaming - but it's very draw dependent and you can't easily optimise your plays when you have the most options.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Very belated BGN post, with bonus content.

Played a 4-player game of Powergrid to start. Three players, self included, were first timers. Actually a pretty fun game! Lacks some punch and the end of the game couldn't possibly be more anticlimactic, but for whatever complaints I may have I didn't at all notice how long we ended up playing for, which is great, and I never really felt bored or itching to glance at my phone or whatever. Would play again.

Only played it once but it seems like a fine game

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Jedit posted:

You're not "playing random cards" as you put it

Well, maybe you're not.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Merry Christmas y’all.

Horseless Carriage rule book has been released: https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/251309/first-edition-english-rulebook

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

ilmucche posted:

Only played it once but it seems like a fine game

I really like Power Grid, there's a certain amount of fun risk rewards by trying the game the first player mechanic which is essentially the core of the game. It's a simple and good auction phase. Because theres no hidden information the last turn can be a bit formulatic as its all calculable. There are just right moves and wrong moves.

There are plenty of expansions as well which are good.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
I haven't tried Flamme Rouge or Heat: Pedal to the Metal yet. At first I was confused because there is a different Forumla 1 game making news being Pole Position but that looks both more complicated and has dice for some loving reason? (Some complicated games can use dice to generate unequal opportunities in a good way, like La Granja.) I had that game confused with Heat and was like 'no thank you' until everyone was praising this game to high heaven and I realized my error.

H:PttM looks a bit more complicated than FR in a good way, with a push-your-luck element of the corners which sounds neat. In Gear 3? You must play 3 cards. Does that sum to greater than the corner's value? Well, that's what the giant concrete wall is there for. A deckbuilder where you do not discard/recycle your hand at end of turn is also a very different beast; I can't think of one that does that, though one must have by now. That lets those heat cards build up and just suffocate your hand. The idea of 'stress' cards being semi-random is interesting because then you're accounting for the snap decision and speed in a game which does not contain a real time element. I would certainly play H:PttM if it was put in front of me, but a player in my group who I would target with a classic racing game hates deckbuilding so I doubt it'd get played. Same reason I never got FR.

At exactly 3 players, I also have trouble imagining I'd play either over Downforce though I have only played that one on BGA. The bidding for cars (race game) and wagering on other cars (betting game) combined with being forced to help other players while finding tactical moments to screw them is just awesome.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Oh piss I knew there was something I left out of the post!

The FLGS does a ticket raffle every night (free). The winner of the raffle chooses one of five games on a table to be added to the store's collection as a BGN available game. Well this week I won, except what I didn't know (no one else did either) was that the winner would get a copy of the game to take home as well. Special Raffle for Christmas time, for this past week and this upcoming week.

So absolute shout out to the FLGS for hooking me up with my own copy of Viticulture: Essential Edition. I promise to table it soon but I got an Xbox Xmas so might be a while!

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Isn't discarding at the end of your turn optional in Aeon's End? That immediately came to mind

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Azran posted:

Isn't discarding at the end of your turn optional in Aeon's End? That immediately came to mind

Just checked the rulebook. You're correct. For some reason I thought of that one and said, "Nah, I think that's the one where you don't shuffle your discard, it just becomes your new deck." Of course, both could be true and in fact are.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Just played Ecosystem: Coral Reef with my marine biology enthusiast 9 year old. I think the end of game scoring took about as long as the rest of the game did to play.
Cute design. I like the drafting and positional placement elements being done simultaneously

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Got a whole bunch of gift cards for Xmas and was looking at Blood on the Clocktower.

Legitimately can't get my head around it being:
$221 AUD on the official store - https://bloodontheclocktower.com/products/blood-on-the-clocktower-the-game
$170 AUD on one of my preferred local sites - https://www.gameology.com.au/products/blood-on-the-clocktower

It's $50 cheaper if I don't buy from the guys who made it? :thunk:

Pryce
May 21, 2011
I finally gave in and bought Roll Player Adventures for myself for my birthday. I would say...the core gameplay loop is fun, it's cool to see how your choices play out, this game should absolutely not cost anywhere near $150. I'm halfway through it after a day and anyone who says it's got 'tons of replayability' is insane. Yes, you can see how other choices play out, but there's never anything drastic enough that matters other than some unique dialogue/slight branching. I also have no idea how this game would be fun in a non-solo environment. The entirety of the game is reading story and then solving a dice puzzle. Which, again, is super fun on my own, but I would not want to have to sit with 4 people figuring out which cards we all have to solve the puzzle.

I really like it, but I'm also glad I'll be done with it quickly and can just resell it to someone else who's been curious.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Are all the Horizons of Spirit Island spirits considered low complexity?

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Yup!

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Damnit Cat in the Box was on sale at my local game store and instantly sold out. I want that game even though i know I will never get a chance to play it.

Viper915
Sep 18, 2005
Pokey Little Puppy

Morpheus posted:

Damnit Cat in the Box was on sale at my local game store and instantly sold out. I want that game even though i know I will never get a chance to play it.

It might still be in stock, did you actually go and check?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Morpheus posted:

...you'd never be able to shanghai 2 more people for a quick round of a trick taking game?

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001

Azran posted:

Gosh, is this another AE rule I've gotten wrong? I thought gems/relics are discardable or not, but spells must remain in hand.

:siren: Barnes and Noble are having a 50% off board game (well, drat near 50% off everything) sale today and tomorrow, in-store only. :siren: This is not the B&N "YMMV" of clearance - this is every store. They stock a lot of good poo poo - Spirit Island, Dice Throne, Exit games, Wingspan, Arnak, Long Shot Dice Game, etc etc etc. I think the B&N member 10% even stacks. I scored Arnak, Mind MGMT, Paperback, Furnace, Wavelength, and Blitzkrieg.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

CitizenKeen posted:

That seems to be the intent. Sun-Bright Whirlwind feels maybe a little more medium-low from my admittedly novice perspective.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
PSA about complexity ratings: please don't fret about them too much or, ideally, at all.

Sometimes you'll underestimate - River is harder than the rating suggests just because opening plays are really quite linear, and if you don't know that or don't figure it out then you'll struggle. Whirlwind is just like River in this respect although I would say Whirlwind is a bit easier than River. Vital Strength requires you to understand Slow powers and Dahan movement better than you might expect.

Sometimes you'll overestimate - I find Thunderspeaker to be really easy to play, Bringer is not at all hard to get your head around. I haven't tried Ocean but FYI: my brother wanted to play Ocean on his first ever game. I dissuaded him due to the High complexity and he played River instead. On his second game he played Ocean and it went just entirely fine.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

JoeRules posted:

Gosh, is this another AE rule I've gotten wrong? I thought gems/relics are discardable or not, but spells must remain in hand.

:siren: Barnes and Noble are having a 50% off board game (well, drat near 50% off everything) sale today and tomorrow, in-store only. :siren: This is not the B&N "YMMV" of clearance - this is every store. They stock a lot of good poo poo - Spirit Island, Dice Throne, Exit games, Wingspan, Arnak, Long Shot Dice Game, etc etc etc. I think the B&N member 10% even stacks. I scored Arnak, Mind MGMT, Paperback, Furnace, Wavelength, and Blitzkrieg.

Thanks for the heads up. I picked up Ark Nova, Cat in the Box, and Super Skill Pinball 4-cade.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

JoeRules posted:

Pretty sure you have it right. I'm not sure if relics are discardable though. I know you can play gems even if you don't spend them. Pretty sure that spells can't be discarded, only prepped to breaches.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

CitizenKeen posted:

Yeah, they omitted it from the cards because it raises more questions than it answers for new players, but they're low complexity.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Viper915 posted:

It might still be in stock, did you actually go and check?

Nope, it's a fair distance away from where I am now (I use the term 'local' loosely, I suppose). But they're good about updating their site wet to stock and I've set a notice on it so that if it gets more stock I'll be notified.

Mr. Squishy posted:

...you'd never be able to shanghai 2 more people for a quick round of a trick taking game?

It's hard enough wrangling someone else besides my gf to play a game, especially since the pandemic really made getting together a goddamn chore these days. If I could get people together then I could play any of my board games that sit on the shelf barely played :(

Morpheus fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Dec 27, 2022

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Morpheus posted:

enough wrangling someone else besides my gf to play a game, especially since the pandemic really made getting together a goddamn chore these days. If I could get people together then I could play any of my board games that sit on the shelf barely played :(

Preach it, my brother

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

armorer posted:

Pretty sure you have it right. I'm not sure if relics are discardable though. I know you can play gems even if you don't spend them. Pretty sure that spells can't be discarded, only prepped to breaches.

Yeah, there’s no end-of-turn discard so nothing can be optionally discarded. Gems and relics can (usually) be played and let fizzle which can feel like a discard, but sometimes there will be non-optional effects for playing them that will need to be dealt with. Spells have to prepped to open or focused breaches.

Viper915
Sep 18, 2005
Pokey Little Puppy

Morpheus posted:

Nope, it's a fair distance away from where I am now (I use the term 'local' loosely, I suppose). But they're good about updating their site wet to stock and I've set a notice on it so that if it gets more stock I'll be notified.

No, you see, it is both in and out of stock until you observe the shelf directly!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
its that time of year again goons

Post You're Board Game Shame

H-index = 4 :negative:

e: since people asked last year, bg stats

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Dec 27, 2022