Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

movax posted:

Should be 100% fine; don’t even have to worry about BIOS updates (in the sense that all mobos will have USB-based flash, IIRC).

USB flashback is integrated into the B650 chipset (and X670 is just two of them), so motherboard makers no longer need to add a separate IC with the flashing logic. But it's not mandated that it's supported, so not all budget boards add the required button and dedicated USB port.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I thought there might be a few budget boards without the button, but I checked and even the DS3H and PG Riptide boards support CPUless USB flashing this time around. Either way, any board that lacks that functionality won't be the kind of board you'd want to pair with a 16-core CPU anyway.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Gyrotica posted:

If I’m looking to pick up a 7950X3D when one is available (lol), are odds good it would slot into an AM5? Would probably be doing ASRock or ASUS.

We'll have to see when they actually launch so I wouldn't rely on it but AM4 motherboards that supported zen 3 CPUs but didn't have an AGESA version aware of the 5800x3d would boot into a sort of "limp mode" without boost or the correct cache available.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

BurritoJustice posted:

But it's not mandated that it's supported, so not all budget boards add the required button and dedicated USB port.

Goddamnit, and we were so close

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Sorry, the 50 cents of BoM was too much in our $150 entry level mainboard :shrug:

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

orcane posted:

Sorry, the 50 cents of BoM was too much in our $150 entry level mainboard :shrug:

That's 50 cents not going into some executives wallet.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

movax posted:

Feels like there could be a niche for a B650E mobo that uses a PCIe switch or optimizes lane breakout to offer primarily x4 ports to OCUlink or something for storage devices + high-speed networking if that's what you're after. Still feels like AM5 might get to having a PCIe 5.0 link between CPU/chipset in the next rev, assuming they didn't do it on the current gen due to cost.
All I want is less M.2 slots and in turn a fully functional PCIe 4.0 8x slot. :(

--edit: Well, PCIe 3.0 8x, with what the chipset uplink not being PCIe 5.0, since there's not enough bandwidth.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Dec 25, 2022

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Friendship ended with 5600X, 5800X3D is my best friend now.

I haven't had time to really play with it much, but at stock with my old Hyper212 (I did add a second fan) I was bumping up against the 90c limit at about 4.1ghz running folding@home. Thanks to whoever posted the PBO2 Tuner info earlier in the thread ( https://github.com/PrimeO7/How-to-undervolt-AMD-RYZEN-5800X3D-Guide-with-PBO2-Tuner/blob/main/README.md ) because with a modest -25 offset I'm at 4.4ghz at a solid 75-77c full load. I was going to upgrade my cooling, but I think I can live with the 212.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
A second fan does surprisingly little for cooling performance (doubly so if you take noise into account), especially with single tower coolers.

FYI you can get really decent dual towers for less than $40. I’m thinking specifically of Thermalright’s offering.

Like the Frost Spirit or Peerless Assassin.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Dec 26, 2022

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Rinkles posted:

A second fan does surprisingly little for cooling performance (doubly so if you take noise into account), especially with single tower coolers.

FYI you can get really decent dual towers for less than $40. I’m thinking specifically of Thermalright’s offering.

I added a second fan to my be quiet! Dark Rock Slim and it seems to have helped, although I haven't checked the temps lately.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Rinkles posted:

Eh, the Arctic Esport Duo does ok on reviews that don't lead with per-decibel temp comparison, mainly on the strength of 2 fans. The actual tower on that thing is no better than some cheaper one fan arctic coolers.

Two fans in push-pull definitely does something. And two mid-RPM fans seem to be better than one high-RPM fan. But it's worse than just getting a better tower, in both noise and cost.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

It's probably a little more complicated than 2 fans good or 2 fans bad - you probably benefit more from 2 fans with denser fin stacks that can use additional static pressure to get airflow through them, as well as a tower that's thicker overall.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Klyith posted:

Eh, the Arctic Esport Duo does ok on reviews that don't lead with per-decibel temp comparison, mainly on the strength of 2 fans. The actual tower on that thing is no better than some cheaper one fan arctic coolers.

Two fans in push-pull definitely does something. And two mid-RPM fans seem to be better than one high-RPM fan. But it's worse than just getting a better tower, in both noise and cost.

This is the only comparison of the Arctic eSports specifically with 1 and 2 fans I could find in less than 30 seconds of looking, but they pulled the second fan and claimed a 1c difference at the same fanspeed so the second fan may not be doing all that much.

https://www.ocinside.de/review/arctic_freezer_34_esports_duo/5/

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Klyith posted:

I'm idling at 25c (Which is probably closer to 30 when it's not bomb cyclone weather) and topping out at 75ish full load and 80c if the GPU is full bore as well so I think I'm gonna roll with it, and just spring for a decent AIO if needed.

That said, if anyone has a replacement for those drat metal fan clips/spatial awareness exams I am all ears. My searches have been fruitless.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Rinkles posted:

I was about to recommend the scythe fuma 2 as an inexpensive and quiet 2 tower option but sheesh it’s drifted up a lot and appears to be out of stock everywhere.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

GoatSeeGuy posted:

That said, if anyone has a replacement for those drat metal fan clips/spatial awareness exams I am all ears. My searches have been fruitless.

Attach clips to fan, then pull both clips onto the tower at the same time.

hobbesmaster posted:

I was about to recommend the scythe fuma 2 as an inexpensive and quiet 2 tower option but sheesh it’s drifted up a lot and appears to be out of stock everywhere.

Scythe has gotten more expensive and noctua has gotten cheaper. I'd recommend the 14cm single tower noctua instead -- it's equal to a fuma 2 for dT/db, and noctua is real good about upgrade kits. Only reason not to do that is a small case that doesn't have vertical space.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Klyith posted:

Attach clips to fan, then pull both clips onto the tower at the same time.

Thanks to the design you can't access the screws on any side with a fan, so it has to be done after the heatsink is installed and while they sit just fine on the "font" of the cooler, the backside doesn't hold 100% firm- I was hoping someone made some easy plastic clips before I have to go old school and break out the rubber bands.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

I also just got a 5800x3d and am using my hyper 212 v2. Gifted the 3600 to my brother, he's still rocking a 4770k

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
I replaced my 3700X with a 5800X3D last week and I don't know if this is an expected outcome or if I just have a marginal 3700X, but the memory controller is definitely more robust.

The 2x16GB set I bought back in 2018 was G.Skill 3600MHz CL19 and I always wondered if it was optimized for Intel instead or something; the best I was ever able to get out of it with the 3700X was 3466 on one particular EFI and more typically 3000-3200. After I put in the 5800X3D, I set it to XMP which would never even boot before and haven't seen a single problem. I also tested a 2x16 3200MHz ECC set I just got which kept throwing errors on particular addresses with the 3700X and the same addresses popped up on the 5800X3D, which was a pretty clear indicator that I should just return that set.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
Did you upgrade your motherboard? I also had issues with xmp/3600mhz on my 3700x. Upgraded to a 5800x3d and a b550 and the memory runs with XMP perfectly.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Memory controller is on the io die of the cpu for both zen 2 and 3, and iirc it was better on zen 3 so being able to run ram faster on the newer CPU is not surprising.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

When I upgraded to the 5800X3D from a 3600X I upgraded the memory at the same time, going from 3200 CL16 to 3600 CL16. When I turned the machine on it automatically adjusted to the new RAM XMP settings without any intervention from me.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

a dingus posted:

Did you upgrade your motherboard? I also had issues with xmp/3600mhz on my 3700x. Upgraded to a 5800x3d and a b550 and the memory runs with XMP perfectly.

No, I'm still using the X470 Taichi. I thought I might have made a mistake by not going with X570 when my original kit wouldn't run at XMP, but then when I saw that the ECC memory was throwing errors at SPD I thought it was more likely a processor issue. I should have first attempted swapping the ECC DIMMs in the slots because the errors follow the same addresses and that is a powerful indicator in favor of the RAM being the problem, but I don't really regret the CPU upgrade since without it I'd still be unable to run the old kit at XMP.

I will quite likely get another AM4 board at some point in the future though. My NAS is running on a 12 year old platform (LGA1156) and the plan always was to replace it with the 3700X/X470 once I verified that it supported ECC.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

GoatSeeGuy posted:

Friendship ended with 5600X, 5800X3D is my best friend now.

What is up, my fellow friend in tha club! I made the same move a few months ago -- no regrets. Enjoy!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Why can't we get cool rear end names like this for the CPUs

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Rinkles posted:

Even on Noctua's massive NH-D15, they say in their documentation (iirc) that adding a second fan will lower temps by a max of 3 (three) C. That's it.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Since the boost multiplier on zen2/3’s precision boost can go down a notch for every couple of C above ( I think ) 50C that might actually do something.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

a dingus posted:

Mobo chipset (ie x570 vs x470 vs b4/550) shouldn't really make a difference for memory. The only things involved are the CPU memory controller, the memory layout & traces, the ram sticks, and the bios.

A good x470 board is more likely to have more layers / signal quality on the memory traces than an average b550. So the only thing you get from the b550 is faster bios updates, and maybe better OOB XMP support for newer ram models via qvl & bios hints. But the chipset itself is irrelevant.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I had real issues getting 3466 memory to run on my 3700x with Asus ROG Hero VI x370 motherboard, but after latest BIOS update it runs stable. Before that it was max 3200 or random crashes. I had 1700 earlier, and that one barely ran at 3200, and once in a while I had BIOS crash and return to defaults. Now it's straight up XMP profile and go.
I was also surprised 5... CPUs are now supported. I'd probably buy some decend B550 if I were to grab 5800x3d instead, since the motherboard is pretty dated now, and VRMs of those first Ryzen boards are rated pretty substandard by today's standard.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

VRMs shouldn’t matter with X3D as you can’t raise power limits above stock and it only has 1 ccd.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
I also upgraded from a 3600 with hyper 212 to a 5800X3D with Peerless Assassin and am quite happy. Computer has been cool and quiet under heavy loads. Not everything is faster, but the things that are faster are quite a bit faster. I hope to ride this CPU out for as long as possible.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Kibner posted:

Even on Noctua's massive NH-D15, they say in their documentation (iirc) that adding a second fan will lower temps by a max of 3 (three) C. That's it.

I'll have to find it, but I did an effort post previously about this, but basically: a second fan on a radiator isn't going to really increase the airflow through the radiator; at most it helps overcome the pressure drop across the fins.

For radiators with high fin density and the ability to transfer heat effectively to the fins, you may see a noticeable improvement in temperature as a result of adding a second fan, because the second fan is going to help the first fan reach its full airflow potential on its curve. This would be more noticeable with liquid cooling setups though; the thermodynamics of a tower air cooler with limited thermal conveyance via heat pipes and radiator size are such that ramping up air flow and/or more easily overcoming pressure losses has little benefit.

Of course there's much more to it than just this: ambient temperature, case airflow patterns, etc.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I migrated to the Ryzen 5 5500 today and it's been a bit of a nightmare

pull out the Intel platform, put in the new CPU with the B550 motherboard. Plug everything back in and... no display - fans spin, RGB lights up, but nobody's home. I get so little feedback that I decide to take it immediately to the computer store (luckily I live right around the block from them), though I suspect that it's a BIOS update issue

they take out the 5500, and put in a 2400G - still no display. They remove my GPU and work off the integrated graphics - still no display

turns out, the first issue was the RAM - I'm running two sticks of 3600 MHz, and two sticks of 2666 MHz. They were fine when I was on the Intel platform (with the 3600 sticks defaulting to 2666), but for some reason this set-up doesn't like it. I feel like it should be possible to get them to play nice if I tinker with it enough, but for now I just leave out the two sticks

once they did get it to boot, they look at the BIOS version and it's dated 2021 and doesn't support the 5500 yet, so they do the BIOS upgrade. I could have done this myself if I knew that I could run a 2400G on a B550 (officially I shouldn't be able to), but even if I knew that I probably wouldn't have figured out the RAM sticks as an issue right away (and there was one more problem lurking anyway)

anyway, the BIOS is updated, and they put my GPU and the 5500 back in... and no display

at this point, they swap out my GPU for GT 210 just to check, and there is a display and it manages to boot up properly

they plug-in my RTX 3060Ti on a known working machine... and no display - so somehow the GPU broke between this morning before I ever started the process, and this afternoon. Total bummer. The good news is that they might still be able to get it under warranty (which is ironic since the 5500 was also a warranty replacement itself)

the only other bright spot is that my Cinebench R20 score went from 2,869 points on the i5-10400, to 3,984 points on the Ryzen 5 5500. Of course, I can't benchmark games in comparison because I'm on an RX 580 now

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

I migrated to the Ryzen 5 5500 today and it's been a bit of a nightmare

pull out the Intel platform, put in the new CPU with the B550 motherboard. Plug everything back in and... no display - fans spin, RGB lights up, but nobody's home. I get so little feedback that I decide to take it immediately to the computer store (luckily I live right around the block from them), though I suspect that it's a BIOS update issue

they take out the 5500, and put in a 2400G - still no display. They remove my GPU and work off the integrated graphics - still no display

turns out, the first issue was the RAM - I'm running two sticks of 3600 MHz, and two sticks of 2666 MHz. They were fine when I was on the Intel platform (with the 3600 sticks defaulting to 2666), but for some reason this set-up doesn't like it. I feel like it should be possible to get them to play nice if I tinker with it enough, but for now I just leave out the two sticks

once they did get it to boot, they look at the BIOS version and it's dated 2021 and doesn't support the 5500 yet, so they do the BIOS upgrade. I could have done this myself if I knew that I could run a 2400G on a B550 (officially I shouldn't be able to), but even if I knew that I probably wouldn't have figured out the RAM sticks as an issue right away (and there was one more problem lurking anyway)

anyway, the BIOS is updated, and they put my GPU and the 5500 back in... and no display

at this point, they swap out my GPU for GT 210 just to check, and there is a display and it manages to boot up properly

they plug-in my RTX 3060Ti on a known working machine... and no display - so somehow the GPU broke between this morning before I ever started the process, and this afternoon. Total bummer. The good news is that they might still be able to get it under warranty (which is ironic since the 5500 was also a warranty replacement itself)

the only other bright spot is that my Cinebench R20 score went from 2,869 points on the i5-10400, to 3,984 points on the Ryzen 5 5500. Of course, I can't benchmark games in comparison because I'm on an RX 580 now

Sorry for the hassle you've encountered. One thing, though, is I always find it surprising when other people don't share my almost pathological aversion to running mismatched RAM. For years and years now I've taken it as a rule to try to avoid any level of mismatch, even down to same specced RAM from different manufacturers. The idea of running two different speeds of RAM causes me physical discomfort.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I bought the 3200 kit when I was on a B350 board with two DIMM slots, and then migrated those over to the i5-10400, which made them run at 2666, and then when I decided to make use of the Intel board's 3rd and 4th DIMM slots, I figured I might as well cheap-out and get a 2666 set since the i5 wouldn't ever let me run them faster anyway. I could have anticipated that I wasn't going to stay on this platform forever, but hindsight is 20/20, I suppose

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 days!
Did my first BIOS update yesterday. My awesome brother got me a Ryzen 5600G to upgrade my 2200G. :3:

The internet lied to me and said I didn't need to update my B450M motherboard, but MSI's M-Flash made it piss easy to do. Really happy that the AM4 socket lasted as long as it did, as it's made upgrading my budget build very cost-effective and simple. I hope AM5 and beyond has this kind of longevity.

I feel bad posting this after gradenko's issues. :(

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
Hey, I wanna upgrade the 1800x to an okay midrange CPU. Is 7600x worth the 50% price increase over a sale 5600x?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Unless you got a 4090/4080/7900XTX, naw. Especially because you’ll need a new board and new ram, too.

The 5800X3D is also worth a look. Your board likely supports it, and ifs the best CPU the platform will ever get for gaming.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
5700X is under $200 on newegg right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

AntOnline has the 5800X3D for $300 also:
https://www.antonline.com/AMD/Computers/Electronic_Components/Microprocessors/1446233

I'm trying really hard not to buy one but my reasons for doing it keep adding up.