Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

PageMaster posted:

I'm assuming every hinge in our house is lubricated with graphite which is why I'm stuck cleaning up this on every doorframe and floor over and over:

Short of taking them off and cleaning them, is there a way to keep the dust contained to the hinge? Can I just rub maybe Vaseline or something on it?

I'm subscribed for the answer because this happens to me and drives me crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Heyyy they're finally starting to RE-assemble my house. I was stuck in the demo & rough stage for like 3 months due to ~bullshit excuses~ from the drywall team. Just another 3 months to go and we won't have to be Mr & Mrs Failson in my parents' house anymore :toot:

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

PageMaster posted:

I'm assuming every hinge in our house is lubricated with graphite which is why I'm stuck cleaning up this on every doorframe and floor over and over:

Short of taking them off and cleaning them, is there a way to keep the dust contained to the hinge? Can I just rub maybe Vaseline or something on it?

Get some white lithium grease, remove one hinge pin at a time, wipe down hinges and pin as best you can, coat pin with grease, reinstall pin.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

How hosed are my lithium batteries for my power tools if I left them outside in my uninsulated metal detached shed last night. I think we saw 18F here locally just before dawn

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

I don’t see why that would ruin them, just let them warm up to room temp before recharging or using.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Just another 3 months to go and we won't have to be Mr & Mrs Failson in my parents' house anymore :toot:

Yeah, you can be Mr & Mrs Failson in your own house! :v:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Hadlock posted:

How hosed are my lithium batteries for my power tools if I left them outside in my uninsulated metal detached shed last night. I think we saw 18F here locally just before dawn

This is a "Californian worrying about 'rusty' cars" type issue.

It's currently 7 here. I just grabbed a battery from the unheated barn and used it. They always live in the unheated barn at anywhere from 0F to 100F+. It literally doesn't matter at all.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Motronic posted:

This is a "Californian worrying about 'rusty' cars" type issue.

:colbert:

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I'll die before I buy a Volkswagen from Michigan :colbert:

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Thanks thread. A discussion about dishwashers apparently summoned a blown gasket on mine, or at least that’s the hope given the drip is localized to the front left corner.

Glad we aren’t hosting family this year.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

nwin posted:

So this wax ring doesn’t look that bad to me, a novice. Maybe the flange itself is bad?

It came off that clean? There's no wax on the underside of the toilet?

If so: That's where it was leaking.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

PainterofCrap posted:

It came off that clean? There's no wax on the underside of the toilet?

If so: That's where it was leaking.

There was a little wax on the underside of the toilet. Didn’t take much to scrape off though.

I replaced it with one of those silicon/rubber rings. In my later post I measured the distance from the wall to the stain on the ceiling and the distance matched up with the tub drain. I pulled that, replaced the gasket, put new plumber putty and Teflon on the tub drain, and am currently waiting a day to let it all cure.

I haven’t cut out the stain on the ceiling yet. I figured the above repairs were enough for Christmas Eve, but I bought a 24x24 piece of drywall and some tape/mud to fix it hopefully the day after Christmas. We just aren’t going to use the tub until tomorrow at the earliest.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

nwin posted:

There was a little wax on the underside of the toilet. Didn’t take much to scrape off though.

I replaced it with one of those silicon/rubber rings. In my later post I measured the distance from the wall to the stain on the ceiling and the distance matched up with the tub drain. I pulled that, replaced the gasket, put new plumber putty and Teflon on the tub drain, and am currently waiting a day to let it all cure.

I haven’t cut out the stain on the ceiling yet. I figured the above repairs were enough for Christmas Eve, but I bought a 24x24 piece of drywall and some tape/mud to fix it hopefully the day after Christmas. We just aren’t going to use the tub until tomorrow at the earliest.

Leaking tub drain is a real pain. Baths are a relaxing experience for my wife and adding a little sprinkle of worry takes a lot away from it. I think it took me two tries before mine didn't leak.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

StormDrain posted:

Leaking tub drain is a real pain. Baths are a relaxing experience for my wife and adding a little sprinkle of worry takes a lot away from it. I think it took me two tries before mine didn't leak.

Thanks. The YouTube video I saw had putty spraying out everywhere along the seam when he tightened down. Mine just had a bit coming out so hopefully it’s enough.

It seems like that could be the only easy fix available-I think the rest would indicate the pipes going bad.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Jesus Christ, the sump output froze. It pokes out of the wall then goes into the ground, with a good 8-9” fully exposed with the right angle.

The sump was running and building pressure for who knows how long. Thankfully it sounds like it managed to poke a pinhole through so the pressure is equalizing and didn’t burst something, but there’s not a ton that can be done until things thaw out.

Brought the hose inside to thaw and dug out the utility pump in case it’s needed, thankfully there is nothing coming into the pit from the drains right now.

E: upon further reflection now that I’ve calmed down, that is why the backup sump popped out of the fitting this morning - it acted as the overpressure relief.

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Dec 25, 2022

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Seattle.

We had freezing temps and some snow the last few days, maybe the last week or so. Not much snow but a few inches. Last two days we had terrible ice which was hilarious watching people try to navigate roads that are literal ice.

My wife wakes me up with this "hey, the creek is really high and there's something dripping from the ceiling in the living room".

Regardless, it started raining and warmed up today. All that has caused lots of water issues. The creek behind my house was higher than I've ever seen the last two years we've lived here. 2' from cresting the banks. Actually got nervous when it didn't stop raining until 5pm today but it didn't get any higher plus there was still some room in the culvert.

The ceiling though, it's one of the corners of the chimney. It wasn't much but the beam was noticeably wet but I wasn't about to go up on the roof today. It's wet/icy, and it's epdm rubber membrane so basically a deathtrap when wet. If it's not raining tomorrow I'll go up and wrap a tarp around for the short term. I think I'll have a mason in my near future. Ours looks like it's had some PO "fixes" in the past that look not so professional.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Ja: chimney flashing. Happy Christmas!

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Post storm I was out checking out everything and noticed I've got a decent sized ice dam growing on my roof. But only on one side. This is our second winter here, 1980's era construction. No attic, but there is soffit and ridge vents. There is an identical bedroom under each of the eaves, but only one has an ice dam. Looking up in the access closet I can't see much difference in insulation, evidence of air infiltration, or any condensation.

I'm thinking of sheeting the walls in the closet below the offending eave with insulation and taping all the seams. Not sure I can do much else right now?

Not sure what to think of this.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

The best defense against this is ice & water shield installed in place of felt against the roof decking, high enough that it projects at leas two feet into the living space (which may mean six feet from the eave up the deck). If the roof is less than ten years old it may already have it by code.

Nothing else you could really do except heat tape.

In the short term you could try casting rock salt on the roof above & into the gutter.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

PainterofCrap posted:

The best defense against this is ice & water shield installed in place of felt against the roof decking, high enough that it projects at leas two feet into the living space (which may mean six feet from the eave up the deck). If the roof is less than ten years old it may already have it by code.

Nothing else you could really do except heat tape.

I doubt it has any ice&water shield unfortunately, but on the plus side is a flame rolled roofing that had a siliconized roof coating applied last year. That's all in great shape so I won't (shouldn't?) have any intrusion inside. There is heat tape in the gutters that I normally turn on in the spring, so they'll go on early this year. Otherwise I guess it's weather proofing and seam sealing until new roof time.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Motronic posted:

I rarely do. But it's what you need to know about when you start getting the E-15 water leak error. Seems to be the most common issue as opposed to all of the more difficult and expensive things it might be.

I don't know if I need to get in there more or tilt the door but I I just ran my hand along the rubber seal between the door and the floor and there was nothing there. I went in blind. Is there a trick to it or is mine just smarter? Door was fully open flat with a tray of dirty dishes on top. My hand came away not even wet.

I did clean the basin filter thing in the bottom and it was well due. A lot of grey... Mush. Whatever dawn power spray stuff my wife impulse bought basically dissolved it off and it took half as long to clean.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I’ll admit I’m not the most social person, definitely an introvert, but this seems a bit extreme even for my wife who is extremely outgoing.

We just moved to our neighborhood in June and they’ve been great. They had a welcome party/“Covid is over but not really, but let’s all get together because it’s been so long” for us in September. It’s a small neighborhood of two cul de sacs with maybe 25 houses total…mostly people in their 50+ age groups with a few families in their forties with some kids.

Yesterday we were given a “giving plate”. The idea is to make some cookies and bring them to a neighbor. Then they do the same, with everyone writing their names and dates of who they gifted the plate to. It started in 2019 and families were passing is around every 4-5 days until one family kept it for about 1.5 years, but the trend has now continued.

So I’m making cookies tomorrow and figuring out where to deliver them next, but where’s the end game here? The couple that introduced the plate has moved (well, the wife passed away and the husband moved this summer), and some of the families have already been given it twice. Like, I don’t really have the time to randomly whip up some cookies on a whim, nor do I really want to…but everyone is talking smack about the neighbor who kept the plate for over a year so I feel like I’ve got to.

Guess I’ll make the cookies in between patching up my ceiling from the bathtub leak. This is the first neighborhood I’ve ever seen do this kind of thing…when we moved in, four different families brought us pies and cookies and cakes.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

nwin posted:

I’ll admit I’m not the most social person, definitely an introvert, but this seems a bit extreme even for my wife who is extremely outgoing.

We just moved to our neighborhood in June and they’ve been great. They had a welcome party/“Covid is over but not really, but let’s all get together because it’s been so long” for us in September. It’s a small neighborhood of two cul de sacs with maybe 25 houses total…mostly people in their 50+ age groups with a few families in their forties with some kids.

Yesterday we were given a “giving plate”. The idea is to make some cookies and bring them to a neighbor. Then they do the same, with everyone writing their names and dates of who they gifted the plate to. It started in 2019 and families were passing is around every 4-5 days until one family kept it for about 1.5 years, but the trend has now continued.

So I’m making cookies tomorrow and figuring out where to deliver them next, but where’s the end game here? The couple that introduced the plate has moved (well, the wife passed away and the husband moved this summer), and some of the families have already been given it twice. Like, I don’t really have the time to randomly whip up some cookies on a whim, nor do I really want to…but everyone is talking smack about the neighbor who kept the plate for over a year so I feel like I’ve got to.

Guess I’ll make the cookies in between patching up my ceiling from the bathtub leak. This is the first neighborhood I’ve ever seen do this kind of thing…when we moved in, four different families brought us pies and cookies and cakes.

Call me a big goony goon, but this sounds like a cult origin story. Give it 30 years and it'll have a church in California.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Let me preface by saying yeah I’m totally an antisocial curmudgeon myself and I have amazing neighbors I’ve decline to hang with several times.

There is no end game, people are just trying to be happy before their short miserable existence ends.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

If you don't want to awkwardly bow out of the tradition, just make really bad cookies every time you end up with the plate. Swap the salt and sugar, go hog wild. Pretty soon they'll "forget" to loop you in when it goes around.

mr.belowaverage
Aug 16, 2004

we have an irc channel at #SA_MeetingWomen
I’m a serious introvert, don’t really know or talk to my neighbours at all, and even I think you are being pretty goon-y goon about this.

Just politely decline if it comes to you, and say you are swamped with blah blah, or can’t really bake to save your life. OR, get some pre-made dough in a bucket from Costco and toss it in the oven while you mop your kitchen some time.

It’s a small effort to make your neighbourhood more neigbourly. There are worse neighbourhoods to find yourself in.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
That's a great neighborhood to have. Life is going to be more challenging every year, with power outages, extreme heat and cold, floods, drought, earthquake, fire, etc all affecting more and more regions with increasing frequency and growing intensity

Knowing your neighbors is the best form of Prepping there is. Just make some cookies and you probably won't have to deal with this again for a long time if ever

Joiny
Aug 9, 2005

Would you like to peruse my wares?
We just bought our house, a gothic victorian from the 1890s. I was planning on rewiring the place with some ethernet but the past month has been so busy with other things that I haven't had time.

The roof started leaking in our bedroom and on the add-on bedroom. Called a roofer out and they said the flashings were done improperly in multiple areas, which is what is leading to the leaks. It'll be 450 for them to fix the leak in our bedroom, minor flashing repair. They also said the add-on has an epdm roof that was installed improperly, it'll cost 2000 to patch or 7000 to rip off and redo entirely. We're probably going for the full redo, as the PO offered to come repair the leak himself which leads us to believe he's just been patching it over and over again for years.

Also had the roofer check out the chimney as it's obvious the flashings are done poorly there. They want 5000 to redo the flashings on the chimney itself. To be fair, the roof is VERY difficult to work with/on and the chimney meets it in a lot of weird ways.

HVAC condensate line froze, and dumped a few gallons of water in the basement. Luckily the PO put in a sump pump right before they left so I was able to cut the line and reroute it into the sump. Problem solved for now.

HVAC, one of the ducts tore in half somehow. Was able to fix it up pretty easily with some metal tape.

PVC drain pipes have a few leaks here and there at the couplings. Not that big an issue but something I have to figure out.

Dishwasher started leaking from the bottom. All the appliances are 20+ years old so instead of trying to puzzle it out we just put in an order for a Bosch 800.

PO said the washer and drier are 'workhorses.' They are literally rusted out. We replaced those with a nice LG set.

The yard and trees haven't been worked on in probably 30 years. I cut off English Ivy roots that are as thick as my arm and encasing whole trees. We have some dead trees which aren't much of a threat since they're very far from the house and not very tall, but we do have one tree that is alive, near both our house and the neighbor's house, and that one I feel like we'll have to get removed or something. It's very tall with big branches and it overhangs both our roofs in a very unsafe looking way.

We have a little moss on the roof shingles, not sure what to do about those. Our roofer didn't seem too worried about it but he was much more concerned about the flashings to deal with the moss at all.

We still want to upgrade the range but it works for now, so the bluestar will have to wait for a while if we go for it. Now everyone is saying stuff about gas being bad for you so we have to consider upgrading our electric because it's only 100 panel, but we've only done a cursory look at the data and all we've seen is cooking with gas 'might affect children and cause asthma' and we're childfree so we may not care.

Hopefully the fridge keeps going, I don't think I can take another unexpected expense.

Joiny fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Dec 26, 2022

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Ivy wrapping trees is a sign of the declining health of those trees, I would consult an extension service or a responsible tree pruner (i.e. not one that sees every tree as a future woodpile).

Same with the tree by the house. If possible, do not remove it unless it (root system) is actively affecting your house. For a few hundred bucks you can get it pruned to mitigate branches falling, etc & the tree surgeon should be able to report on the health of the trees.

When we bought our house in 1992 there were four century-old trees (3-ash, one tulip poplar)

Since this was taken, in 2007, they all, but the front one (far right), had to be cut down due to age-related interior rot & instability. None of them ever damaged the house or garage. I hated to cut them down; two are currently re-growing from the buried stumps (called "coppicing"); the poplar (the furthest to the rear, by the garage) is already 30' tall; the ash (center-right) which grows at a far slower rate, is now about 12' at the tips.

Also planted a disease-resistant American Elm in 2001, it too is now about 30' tall.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

That's a great neighborhood to have. Life is going to be more challenging every year, with power outages, extreme heat and cold, floods, drought, earthquake, fire, etc all affecting more and more regions with increasing frequency and growing intensity

Knowing your neighbors is the best form of Prepping there is. Just make some cookies and you probably won't have to deal with this again for a long time if ever

Yeah we’re happy with the neighborhood. It’s just weird that it’s non-stop with this cookie thing. It’d be one thing if they just did it for the holidays, but they did it through an entire year. We’ve got two young kids so keeping up with them is hard enough without having to bake something on demand. Most of the families here moved in 15-20 years ago and their kids all grew up so they’ve got some more free time under their belts.

In other news, I cut the drywall ceiling that had leaked and sure enough, it was the tub drain. I managed to fix that now and it’s not leaking (I also checked the shower to make sure no pipes were dripping and I had access to the toilet so I could see that my ring replacement did not cause any leaks!).

drywall has been patched and taped and now I’ve gotta prime it and then figure out how to find a suitable popcorn ceiling replacement…I’ve seen stuff in spray cans and I’m not too confident I’ll get a perfect match.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Joiny posted:

Hopefully the fridge keeps going, I don't think I can take another unexpected expense.
Salutations, fellow old-house-haver! Mine's only 90 years old, but in the 18 months since we've bought it:
  • Stove broke, no local repair available
  • Fridge broke, just replaced it
  • One of the two pumps for the well broke
  • Turns out you need to replace well filter twice a year, whoops
  • Gas fireplace, the only heat in the house, broke
  • Roof needs major repair or replacement
  • Sinks started backing up, which turned out to be caused by
  • Greywater line drains into state park and has since house was built
  • Skim paint job put in by PO is wearing off in multiple places, including the floors of the stairs and upstairs

Stuff that was our choice:
  • Added dishwasher, requiring wiring/plumbing work
  • (to do) Replace boob lamps in kitchen
  • Added chest freezer, requiring wiring work
  • Replaced washer/dryer to use less water
  • Major yard rework that stripped the lot, but has been stalled since July because of course it has

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

nwin posted:

drywall has been patched and taped and now I’ve gotta prime it and then figure out how to find a suitable popcorn ceiling replacement…I’ve seen stuff in spray cans and I’m not too confident I’ll get a perfect match.

Unless you are part ninja with amazing powers of concentration that you can channel into mind control of a can of expanding gas that is jizzing all over your ceiling, you will not.

Or at least that has been my experience.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Just wanted to thank the PO for lovingly packing loose batt insulation over the 2" diameter hole. And also whoever sided over it outside.

I just finished placing rigid foam and spray foam over it. Hopefully now the lady bug invasion will stop.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
Back to dishwasher chat:

Can anyone identify what the $200 price difference between a Bosch 300 and 500 gets you other than a doohickey that apparently automagically opens the door for you after a cycle runs? They look identical beyond that.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Yooper posted:

Just wanted to thank the PO for lovingly packing loose batt insulation over the 2" diameter hole. And also whoever sided over it outside.

I just finished placing rigid foam and spray foam over it. Hopefully now the lady bug invasion will stop.

Thanks for reminding me I have about three of those to patch. One from my removed sprinkler pipe, one from my abandoned dryer vent, and one mystery hole!

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Beef Of Ages posted:

Back to dishwasher chat:

Can anyone identify what the $200 price difference between a Bosch 300 and 500 gets you other than a doohickey that apparently automagically opens the door for you after a cycle runs? They look identical beyond that.

I don't think there's much. I have a 300 series since the 800 was sold out at the time and it's good. I just pop it open by hand if I want it to dry a little quicker. You could leave wet clean dishes in a dishwasher for like 2-3 days and they wouldn't even smell bad. That being said, if you want to drop the cash there's nothing wrong with those extra features, anything to make our short time on earth just a little nicer right?

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

Beef Of Ages posted:

Back to dishwasher chat:

It can vary a bit with the specific model, but generally the 500 can get you the adjustable sides in the top cutlery tray, and better bearings on the rack slides. We got a 300 and haven't felt any remorse for not getting a 500.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I thought all the Bosch dishwasher love was specific to the 800 series, are the 3/500 series also higher than normal quality

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

300 series owner (PO installed), and I'm very happy with it. From what I got told is the 800 series had a macerator for dealing with food scraps in addition to the normal washable filter that the 300 has.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joiny
Aug 9, 2005

Would you like to peruse my wares?
This article had the best breakdown of the Bosch series I could find: https://www.designerappliances.com/blog/bosch-dishwasher-review-100-vs-300-vs-500-vs-800-series/