Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Frosted Flake posted:

I really, really want to hammer this in: all of this is the result of the partitions of Poland, exactly 250 years ago.

This seems to confirm that no liberals have read history books.

Granted, Lvov in all honesty should have been transferred to the Communist Poland for more territory Kaliningrad. Map gore is sometimes good and necessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Futanari Damacy posted:

I will momentarily entertain the ludicrous notion if only to affirm that any partition of Russia would require the country be occupied and the people proposing it are usually toadies residing in the west, so beyond showing rear end in referring to "we/us" doing the partition it implies a military occupation of Russia by forces other than Ukraine, presumably NATO. But immediately there is the logistical problem of who is actually going to do that- not just what bloc is going to supply the troops, but the physical number of them that would be required to do so. It's such a poorly thought out, stupid idea. Do they not think that Russia would have been so partitioned in 1991 if the power or ability to have done so existed? :psyduck:

According to RWA, the 3 areas with the biggest non-Russian populations are Chechnya/North Caucasus, Buryatia and Tuva, and, well, the separatist Chechens are at least fighting Other Chechens. In Ukraine. The area with the most antipathy towards Moscow is Leningrad/St. Petersburg who might want to raise up the standard and join Estonia or Finland.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Futanari Damacy posted:

I will momentarily entertain the ludicrous notion if only to affirm that any partition of Russia would require the country be occupied and the people proposing it are usually toadies residing in the west, so beyond showing rear end in referring to "we/us" doing the partition it implies a military occupation of Russia by forces other than Ukraine, presumably NATO. But immediately there is the logistical problem of who is actually going to do that- not just what bloc is going to supply the troops, but the physical number of them that would be required to do so. It's such a poorly thought out, stupid idea. Do they not think that Russia would have been so partitioned in 1991 if the power or ability to have done so existed? :psyduck:

they are projecting. its actually the collapse of the USA that is inevitable and coming soon

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

Frosted Flake posted:

I really, really want to hammer this in: all of this is the result of the partitions of Poland, exactly 250 years ago.

This seems to confirm that no liberals have read history books.

As a Polish and Ukrainian person I have sorrowfully lived to endure both of these characteristics becoming a source of undying shame :negative:

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rutibex posted:

they are projecting. its actually the collapse of the USA that is inevitable and coming soon

inshallah

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
Reading history books is for nerds who think they understand how and why powerful people do things so they can claim to understand what's going on today

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Also, neoliberalism doesn’t have the ideological levers for identity formation available to it the Dual Monarchy did. With Ukraine and the Baltics they’re able to conjure up all these ghosts from the past, I’m sure they could in Croatia as well, but they won’t be able to convince peasants they are a unique race locked in eternal conflict with their neighbours by deciding what alphabet the liturgical language is written in anymore.

What? They’re going to support a Rostov Church, say actually the dialect is a separate language from Russian, encourage pogroms against Jews and the restive upper class “Russians” by loyal “Rostovians”? Collaboration with the Nazis hasn’t had 30 years of apologia within the Russian Federation, and even in Georgia it’s far more marginal than Ukraine, Croatia and the Baltic.

Even then, Germans tried to figure this out and it just didn’t happen for them, not once they were within the pre-partition borders of the Russian Empire.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Throatwarbler posted:

According to RWA, the 3 areas with the biggest non-Russian populations are Chechnya/North Caucasus, Buryatia and Tuva, and, well, the separatist Chechens are at least fighting Other Chechens. In Ukraine. The area with the most antipathy towards Moscow is Leningrad/St. Petersburg who might want to raise up the standard and join Estonia or Finland.

People from Peter bitch more than average but it is very doubtful any serious percentage want to actually leave Russia. (Also Estonia in that case would be a suburb of St.Petersburg and Finland would nearly be majority Russian if you included surrounding areas.)

Also to be honest, the “great exodus” seems to have deflated even the Petersburg movement.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 04:41 on Dec 27, 2022

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ardennes posted:

People from Peter bitch more than average but it is very doubtful any serious percentage want to actually leave Russia. (Also Estonia in that case would be a suburb of St.Petersburg and Finland would nearly be majority Russian.)

all people come from peter if u really think about it

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

lobotomy molo posted:

all people come from peter if u really think about it

Well I guess they are judged by him.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Ivan Gwaydogorov, interim president of the Novgorod Republic

Janhr Dzhaudö, interim president of the Republic of Kalmykia

Eleksei Guluun, interim president of the Siberian Federal Democratic Republic

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Ardennes posted:

I am kind of skeptical of “reports from the front” on social media from both sides at this point, it is just too easy someone to spin things either way.

The verified movement on the front is still very minor. It does seem like the Ukrainians have been pushing some counter-attacks in the north but they don’t seem to make it outside no-man’s land. The Russians haven’t reached the center of Bakmut but there has been some movement around the sides.

There is still the argument about casualties but they are probably the same degree as the rest of the war.

They also don't say anything outrageous or new either.

They've always been pessimistic, but just got downright depressed after the strikes on infrastructure started.

From the Russian side there's a video of two wagner guys complaining about lack of artillery shells, which brings up the question of why wagner is complaining to the general staff but whatever.

Then there was another one where some militia commander was beating conscripts because they might or might not have left their position without orders.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Lostconfused posted:

They've always been pessimistic, but just got downright depressed after the strikes on infrastructure started.

From the Russian side there's a video of two wagner guys complaining about lack of artillery shells, which brings up the question of why wagner is complaining to the general staff but whatever.

Then there was another one where some militia commander was beating conscripts because they might or might not have left their position without orders.

I guess, but I would say the issue is trying to get a clearer perspective on battlefield from how a few bloggers/tweets are feeling that day. (Part of this is just this is a very online war.) Also, there has to be a bit of bs on the shell thing from either side because the Ukrainians can’t be complaining about casualties from artillery fire that I guess doesn’t exist.(?)

On that point, various parts of social media are complaining about “creating moonscapes” which seems kind of…idiotic. It is a war in many ways about mass artillery fire, how do you do that without a bunch of craters being created? Neither side is going to be able to produce enough more precision shells to get the job anywhere done.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 05:15 on Dec 27, 2022

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Throatwarbler posted:

So this is at best on par with Russia thinking supporting Texas and California separatist organizations will actually produce anything?

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/LindseySnell/status/1607322440664743936
https://twitter.com/cnni/status/1607179408929849345

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

Futanari Damacy posted:

Do they not think that Russia would have been so partitioned in 1991 if the power or ability to have done so existed? :psyduck:

you only really need to partition countries to make them weaker and easier to loot so I'm not sure it would have happened given the complete submission of 1991 Russia, even if the power to do so was there

GlassElephant
Oct 25, 2009

Schwere Panzerabteilung 502
Discovered they were Glass Elephants, 27 APR 45

Lostconfused posted:

Prigozhin is now amplifying the complaints about supplies of artillery shells.

GREY ZONE posted:

(Click thumbnail to open video)
Today Yevgeny Prigozhin visited his fighters from the "Wagner Group" on the Bakhmut front on an emergency basis once again.

This happened the same hour as a video spread on the network, where the "Wagnerites" criticized the Chief of the General Staff of the Russian Defense Ministry Valery Gerasimov. In particular, the words that he was, quote, "a human being and a dick (loving)" were heard. After which the "musicians" complained about the lack of artillery ammunition, which makes it impossible for them to help their infantry, which without it suffered more losses than it might have at Bakhmut.

Well, despite the lack of horns, hooves and tail of the person subject to the accusation, I cannot refute the theses put forward by the fighters, but I can definitely confirm the existence of a problem with artillery ammunition.

Further, despite the fact that Vladimir Putin, during a recent speech at a Defense Ministry collegium, said that the military department should be careful about criticism of its own, which can be emotional, they rushed to declare that the "Wagnerians" video was a throw-in by the TsIPSO and a fake by "Ukrainian nationalists." But Prigozhin found these positions, went there and did not see "Ukrainian nationalists" there, but saw his own fighters, who confirmed the problem.

In his turn, the head of the "Wagner Group" stated that he would seek a solution to this problem, as well as to any problem concerning the "band," despite the inaction of cabinet military officials, because for him, his fighters, the needs of the front and the interests of the Motherland come first.

@grey_zone

Translated with https://www.deepl.com/Translator (free version)
(from t.me/grey_zone/16360, via tgsa)

I imagine part of this is a ploy to seize more resources and control from the regular army.

GlassElephant has issued a correction as of 05:52 on Dec 27, 2022

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

GlassElephant posted:

I imagine part of this is a ploy to seize more resources and control from the regular army.

Where does it say that?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

:gb2gbs:

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I am not trying to be a huge rear end about it or anything.

That was the video I mentioned, it's this one

https://twitter.com/bayraktar_1love/status/1607341682906873857

And on the Russian side almost everyone mentioned how Prigozhin didn't make any comment about how the video is fake, or not true. But I haven't seen anything that suggests he is trying to amplify or spread this story somehow. In that post it just says he visited his guys, and in that short clip they say everything is fine or whatever.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
https://twitter.com/NinaByzantina/status/1607592121917403136?t=4DzszPW9y-_OLP2qnL5NPg

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

GlassElephant posted:

"a dick (loving)" should be the new thread title

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

It is funny when people who quietly watch the thread feel the need to show their hand

The gun they are posing alongside/complaining with, is a 2A19 100mm AT gun, which is issued HE ammunition at a far lower rate than 122mm and 152mm batteries for what I hope are obvious reasons. It's used in the indirect role on an ad hoc basis, at least in the Russian Army. That being the case, imo not much of a surprise or a problem, the same as QF 3.7-inch AA guns running low on ammo in the indirect role back in WW2.

Allotment is more generous, but imagine pointing to field artillery batteries being issued 3 HEAT shells per gun as proof Russia was out of AT ammunition. It's not their job. It's just nice to have the capability, putting otherwise idle tubes to use, and the Ukrainians don't have enough AFVs for them to be engaged in other tasks at the moment.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 06:18 on Dec 27, 2022

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

evilmiera posted:

"a dick (loving)" should be the new thread title

:gb2gbs:

Frosted Flake posted:

It is funny when people who quietly watch the thread feel the need to show their hand

THIS time I'll show them Russia drools and they'll be forced to like me

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

not my problem.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Looks like Scotland can’t have independence for the same reason that NHS nurses can’t have decent wages, too bad!

GlassElephant
Oct 25, 2009

Schwere Panzerabteilung 502
Discovered they were Glass Elephants, 27 APR 45

Lostconfused posted:

I am not trying to be a huge rear end about it or anything.

That was the video I mentioned, it's this one

https://twitter.com/bayraktar_1love/status/1607341682906873857

And on the Russian side almost everyone mentioned how Prigozhin didn't make any comment about how the video is fake, or not true. But I haven't seen anything that suggests he is trying to amplify or spread this story somehow. In that post it just says he visited his guys, and in that short clip they say everything is fine or whatever.

Hmm, I went and translated the audio clips from Prigozhin's own telegram and you are right he doesn't mention the shells. The telegram channel making the claim is The Grey Zone, which is the main one following Wagner. It's unclear if they are official or fan media, they've been posting unique Wagner content and videos about them since the Syria days and were the first to post the video of Wagner murdering the solider who had surrendered with a sledgehammer.

GlassElephant has issued a correction as of 07:05 on Dec 27, 2022

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

https://twitter.com/maxblumenthal/status/1607477025962430465

lmao at all the nafo dweebs seething in the comments

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkhCZmo_z8U

Here is the full video, he mentions that the Ukrainians are having to learn to "grap the Russians by the belt".

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 07:29 on Dec 27, 2022

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Wagner got a ton of exposure over the past year.

Like I assume these guys are from Wagner, but there's just two dudes showing up in someone's living room to sit around for two hours and talk about how they went to war https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60EDhswNPdA

I dunno what the "Mercenary Community" thing is supposed to be about since Reverse Side of the Medal is using it too, and they see to have a lot of attachment to wagner guys too.

Edit: Girkin was also apparently trying to organize his battalion or regiment or whatever through some PMC thing before he got kicked out. At least that's what he claims.

Lostconfused has issued a correction as of 07:34 on Dec 27, 2022

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Ardennes posted:

On that point, various parts of social media are complaining about “creating moonscapes” which seems kind of…idiotic. It is a war in many ways about mass artillery fire, how do you do that without a bunch of craters being created? Neither side is going to be able to produce enough more precision shells to get the job anywhere done.

Not sure how much of it is that grass is greener on the other side but Rybar/Milinfo/Elder Edda and co. have been spilling tons of ink about the need to expand production and use of precision shells for a while.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

hideo kojima made a bunch of games about the mercenary community

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/RothLindberg/status/1607336018495127558

have another collection of these russia running out of something

june 10 one was included erroneously by the guy who made it

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

heads up y’all, lots of folx outside the mercenary community are showing they whole rear end by not centering authentic experiences. A little 🧵. 1/475

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Danann posted:

Not sure how much of it is that grass is greener on the other side but Rybar/Milinfo/Elder Edda and co. have been spilling tons of ink about the need to expand production and use of precision shells for a while.

The issue is that precision shells are very expensive, and all militaries run on a budget. Certainly, more precision shells are a good thing but neither the West (or the Russians) can fully outfit their artillery with more precise shells.

The Ukrainians are using shorter missions with the shells they have on hand to even the odds but at the end of the day, if the Russians want to get full use of their artillery advantage, they have to use just a lot of conventional HE rounds, a lot. Moonscapes are necessary.

The moonscape thing just communicates to me they really don't get what is going on even if they (Russian social media) has some points of useful information. Also, Rybar keep on pushing for fully destroying all of Ukraine's grid and they don't get there is a political reasoning for not doing that at least not yet.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Oh yeah anyway, I wanted to post this stupid joke

Right History | Z posted:

Hope the last ring was forged for Prigozhin...
(from t.me/righthistory/1986, via tgsa)

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Lostconfused posted:

Critical support for Ukraine's attempt to disolve the UN security council and destroy UN in general.

The Star League has outlived its purpose and is no more. Time for the succession wars.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Ukrainian positions in sectors they’ve held for a while have overhead cover in parts of the trenches and often dugouts, both of which require HE delay to destroy. Fortifications have to be neutralized to advance, so what is it they think they want?

The only way to get to “the green fields beyond” without a moonscape is an armoured breakthrough, which the Russians also don’t want to do, so by virtue of constant shelling and a slow paced advance, there’ll be cratering.

PBI bitching about the guns, as usual.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
I would say it is especially the case of the Donbass where the goal is to force the Ukrainians to commit forces on a continual basis while (it seems) a larger offensive is still in works. It perhaps isn't as efficient in bragging rights (the main issue I assume), but on a strategic level it is necessary.

As far as logistics, who knows, I am sure some ammo dumps have been blown at some point or there have been delays for other reasons, but the issue is going to be about the overall supply of shells continually and I have seen no real evidence that the Russians are running short there. In addition, there doesn't seem to be tremendous evidence that Russian guns have gun silent.

That said, I would say that chat with the Mozart Group, besides the clip that was posted, is actually pretty enlightening and glib, and while I don't agree with his conclusions, it seems like the information that he is bringing to the table seems to match up with what it has been talked about elsewhere. The Ukrainians while perhaps not well train or lead, have tremendous will and sheer tenacity has held the line the line. Perhaps the Ukrainian state is corrupt and "politically active" but the average infantryman isn't fighting for it but what they believe their homes. Also, while individual Russian infantry men on an individual level isn't great, their artillery seems to be.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 08:56 on Dec 27, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ardennes posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkhCZmo_z8U

Here is the full video, he mentions that the Ukrainians are having to learn to "grap the Russians by the belt".

Tactics that were famously effective for the nva are bound to work even better on the wide open plains of Ukraine