Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.

Chairman Capone posted:

Is there any source that’s a good comprehensive look at the Phantom Time/New Chronology/Tartaria conspiracy?

Unfortunately, not to my knowledge, I've mostly just read bits here and there about both and don't have a good single comprehensive source to point you too, but you can find plenty of stuff about both that's mostly skeptical/debunking just by Googling. I can tell you, though, that Phantom Time and New Chronology are actually two completely different crank pseudohistorical conspiracy theories and that "Tartaria" is connected to the latter but is also kind of its own thing these days; Phantom Time is the relatively more "plausible" one of the two; it asserts that the Pope and Holy Roman Emperor fabricated about 300 years of history between the 7th and 10th centuries to legitimize themselves. It's not true in any sense, but it's a little more self-consistent and a little less batshit than the New Chronology, which is the Russian nationalist conspiracy theory created by Fomenko (and popularized by Kasparov) that asserts that pretty much the entirety of history before 800-1000 AD is fictional and also "the Russian Horde" was the greatest empire in the history of the world.

e: To avoid the errors of the past, like confusing "Scythia" and "Scotland" as different places*, posting historians should take care to note that this double post is the exact same event as the last one.

*this is something New Chronologists actually believe

Tulul has a new favorite as of 19:12 on Dec 19, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Tulul posted:

e: To avoid the errors of the past, like confusing "Scythia" and "Scotland" as different places*, posting historians should take care to note that this double post is the exact same event as the last one.

Lol and thank you, I was briefly very confused.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Tulul posted:

Unfortunately, not to my knowledge, I've mostly just read bits here and there about both and don't have a good single comprehensive source to point you too, but you can find plenty of stuff about both that's mostly skeptical/debunking just by Googling. I can tell you, though, that Phantom Time and New Chronology are actually two completely different crank pseudohistorical conspiracy theories and that "Tartaria" is connected to the latter but is also kind of its own thing these days; Phantom Time is the relatively more "plausible" one of the two; it asserts that the Pope and Holy Roman Emperor fabricated about 300 years of history between the 7th and 10th centuries to legitimize themselves. It's not true in any sense, but it's a little more self-consistent and a little less batshit than the New Chronology, which is the Russian nationalist conspiracy theory created by Fomenko (and popularized by Kasparov) that asserts that pretty much the entirety of history before 800-1000 AD is fictional and also "the Russian Horde" was the greatest empire in the history of the world.

Does this theory of world-history account for China? This seems to be where a lot of 'em founder, though of course the traditional solution is to ignore Asia

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Chairman Capone posted:

Is there any source that’s a good comprehensive look at the Phantom Time/New Chronology/Tartaria conspiracy?

https://ourfakehistory.com/index.php/season-2/episode-43-what-is-phantom-time/

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Nessus posted:

Does this theory of world-history account for China? This seems to be where a lot of 'em founder, though of course the traditional solution is to ignore Asia

It's like the flat earthers who apparently assume that Australians and New Zealanders somehow haven't noticed their countries take ten times longer to traverse east to west than their maps suggest they should. Like the guys building the railway line from Adelaide to Perth kept looking at their globes and scratching their heads, before shrugging and ordering an extra half-million kilometres of track from the depot.
Although, having driven across the Hay Plains, maybe they're onto something

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

You can't stand on a basketball, and yet Roundearthers continue to insist we exist on one just blown up in size. It's absolutely ridiculous that we continue to live under this charade.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Nessus posted:

You don't even have to look at chinese history. The viking age took place during the "phantom time period" and thanks to dendrochronology people can date archaeological finds from that time extremely precisely.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Alhazred posted:

You don't even have to look at chinese history. The viking age took place during the "phantom time period" and thanks to dendrochronology people can date archaeological finds from that time extremely precisely.

For some reason, reading about this historical dating technique suddenly reminded me of some creationist traveling lecture series I saw as a kid, whose central point was teaching you to question any kind of scientific observation or technique that goes against the young earth idea with the mantra "were you there?". Like, to the point of getting the entire auditorium to say that in unison as a response to slanted example statements a """scientist""" might have.

"The fossil record and radiocarbon dating techniques do not support the earth having been brought into existence five thousand years ago."/"Were you there?"
"Archeological finds and dendrochronology show that there was not a historical period of several centuries made up after the fact."/"Were you there?"
"Satan did not actually possess a troll doll to scare a small child, that's an abjectly stupid idea without any proof."/"Were you there?"

What a bizarre time, in retrospect. Way to get in there early and preemptively steer folks away from any semblance of critical thinking!

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Captain Hygiene posted:

For some reason, reading about this historical dating technique suddenly reminded me of some creationist traveling lecture series I saw as a kid, whose central point was teaching you to question any kind of scientific observation or technique that goes against the young earth idea with the mantra "were you there?". Like, to the point of getting the entire auditorium to say that in unison as a response to slanted example statements a """scientist""" might have.

"The fossil record and radiocarbon dating techniques do not support the earth having been brought into existence five thousand years ago."/"Were you there?"
"Archeological finds and dendrochronology show that there was not a historical period of several centuries made up after the fact."/"Were you there?"
"Satan did not actually possess a troll doll to scare a small child, that's an abjectly stupid idea without any proof."/"Were you there?"

What a bizarre time, in retrospect. Way to get in there early and preemptively steer folks away from any semblance of critical thinking!

The documentary We Believe in Dinosaurs has footage of Ken Hamm doing exactly this to an audience hall full of schoolkids. Great documentary, by the way.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Captain Hygiene posted:

Seems risky given the implications for witnessing. On the other hand it’s all about tribe

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Chairman Capone posted:

The documentary We Believe in Dinosaurs has footage of Ken Hamm doing exactly this to an audience hall full of schoolkids. Great documentary, by the way.

I'm 99% sure it was him or at least his group. It was long enough ago that I can't remember anything about the speaker himself, but I remember the churches we went to around that time period having publications from them.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I was there.

It was real.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

Alhazred posted:

On a related note, we have pretty good records of various astronomical phenomena (planet orbits, comets etc) going back millennia that would all get thrown out of whack completely if 300 years just came out of nowhere. Not to mention that non-European cultures were pretty good at recording that kind of thing too so there'd be huge discrepancies if Phantom Time had happened.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

On a related note, we have pretty good records of various astronomical phenomena (planet orbits, comets etc) going back millennia that would all get thrown out of whack completely if 300 years just came out of nowhere. Not to mention that non-European cultures were pretty good at recording that kind of thing too so there'd be huge discrepancies if Phantom Time had happened.
I can’t be sure but I imagine this stuff started as a tongue in cheek explanation for something which grew due to irritating a different demographic plus being repeated back and forth, and now it’s an article of faith. Especially if you can trick (((other people))) into wasting time disproving it somehow.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Nessus posted:

I can’t be sure but I imagine this stuff started as a tongue in cheek explanation for something which grew due to irritating a different demographic plus being repeated back and forth, and now it’s an article of faith. Especially if you can trick (((other people))) into wasting time disproving it somehow.

Related, I'm pretty sure the flat earth online 'community' was always a mix of :tinfoil: true believers and :troll: agitators plus a small amount of culture jammers/discordianists. Of course most of them would also be :freep: racists of some flavor.

Folding Ideas did a great video about interviewing flat earthers and found that most of them had moved on to QAnon which just by itself tells you a lot about the kind of people who made up the online flat earth community.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTfhYyTuT44

Andrew Callaghan also did a vox populi documentary of a flat earth conference and discovered that if you just stick a microphone in their face and let them talk and talk they very quickly start ranting about Jews and Hitler, it always comes down to blaming the Jews.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H110vCGvTmM&t=5s

EDIT: LOL that YT added "The flat-Earth model is an archaic and scientifically disproven conception of Earth's shape as a plane or disk" disclaimers on both of those videos. :v:

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 05:52 on Dec 22, 2022

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

The_Doctor posted:

Hilariously, this month’s Fortean Times arrived today, and uh. They’re inside the thread. :stonk:

I was mentioned in last month's issue of Fortean Times (the article about digital cryptids) and HOO BOY I felt like an Extremely Cool Dude for the next few days.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Flint_Paper posted:

I was mentioned in last month's issue of Fortean Times (the article about digital cryptids) and HOO BOY I felt like an Extremely Cool Dude for the next few days.

How is their digital sub delivered?

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

A very smart little mouse!
rectally

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

So pdf...

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Chairman Capone posted:

This video by Mia Moulder was really good for explaining what the hell they're thinking
https://youtu.be/dtU_M0Sjd9Y

Like its insane insistence that all this stuff happened only a century ago and it being people with zero historical knowlage seeing old maps and wondering what this word was, or what this flag is, or why buildings all seem to date from around the late 19th/early 20th century in a lot of places in North America and the UK, and that ground level windows are a thing.

I find most historical conspiracy theories tend to be either people just being ignorant of history and trying to figure things out from their limited understanding, or they have a direct agenda they're pushing. Like notice how a lot of stuff relies on "X looks like Y so X must actually be Y" no matter how silly that is. This thing on a tomb wall looks kinda like a lightbulb, so it MUST be a lightblub. Its like saying a dog must be a table because they kinda look like one. The latter are just the most obvious one because its always born from "my people are better and jews are bad".

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Retirees in Western Australia capture CCTV footage of a huge cat-like beast outside their home, and got photos of some massive paw prints. When interviewed they excitedly repeated the story of WW2 US soldiers bringing cougars into the country as divisional mascots, which of course escaped into the bush and have been glimpsed from time to time ever since.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-10-08/giant-black-cat-spotted-near-lancelin/101510332

It's a large feral housecat

They obviously went and stood in pretty much the exact same spot in order to get that photo of the pawprint so all they need to do is compare a CCTV screenshot of the 'beast' side by side with a screenshot of them standing in the same place to find out exactly how big it was.

There's a pretty good blog post from awhile back that went over big cats in the UK, the conclusion (based on things like recovered carcasses/road kill and DNA samples) was they are a thing but only because they are either escaped pets/zoo escapees, or got dumped.

Telsa Cola has a new favorite as of 20:30 on Dec 26, 2022

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Telsa Cola posted:

There's a pretty good blog post from awhile back that went over big cats in the UK, the conclusion (based on things like recovered carcasses/road kill and DNA samples) was they are a thing but only because they are either escaped pets/zoo escapees, or got dumped.

Yeah I tracked down a few specific cases in an earlier post:

E: some examples of actual ABCs from the UK include the 1980 Cannich puma and the 2001 Beast of Barnet (a Eurasian lynx). Last year there was the supposed case of the Hampstead Cheetah which turned out to be an escaped Savannah cat (a cross between a serval and a domestic cat)

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Yeah I tracked down a few specific cases in an earlier post:

That's awesome, I love actual data on ABCs vs the original reports which are always open ended. was it a housecat or was it some richie rear end in a top hat's dumped exotic big cat????

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Weird poo poo just turns up sometimes. Here's an article from the Dec 21 1926 edition of the London Daily Mirror where a farmer in East Sussex UK shot a mystery animal which was very obviously an Australian wombat:

An article in the Western Daily Press newspaper on the same date points out that a female wombat had escaped from the exotic animal collection at the Pippingford Park estate two years earlier, which is about 28 miles north of where the farmer shot it dead. A man called Hayley Morriss had taken over the estate after WW1 and he was a keen naturalist who had "made a fortune in China" and apparently spent it on his hobbies and let the estate fall into disrepair. He was also imprisoned for three years in 1925 for conspiring to "procure a girl of 15 years" with the intent that he might "carnally know her". :chloe:

Tasmanian devils officially died out on mainland Australia somewhere between 500 to 3,000 years ago (probably because dingoes were introduced on the mainland by indigenous peoples which outcompeted them) but five specimens were collected on the mainland and added to the Museums Victoria collection between 1903 and 1991 which fueled speculation among the usual suspects that there might be a secret breeding population hiding out somewhere on the mainland, but a much much more likely explanation is that people snuck them in from Tasmania as pets and they escaped.
Related, a wildlife preservation project called Aussie Ark recently re-introduced Tasmanian devils to the wild up in a wildlife sanctuary in NSW so it's no longer just a weird theory.

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?
A pro post, thanks

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Stealing this relevant Alien Big Dog from from the headlines thread:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

My grandpa had the biggest sweetie of a newfie way back when, and by "biggest" I mean "an absolute tank of a dog". I could definitely see getting all confused if I randomly caught a glimpse of her briefly running by out in the woods somewhere.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Knormal posted:

Stealing this relevant Alien Big Dog from from the headlines thread:

If people aren't familiar with the area, Hackney Marshes is a park in an incredibly built up borough of London:

The story actually starts about 30 years earlier when the decapitated skinned corpses of two small bears were found not far away in the river Lea (which runs through the park) on December 5th 1981. A few weeks later on December 27th four small boys were walking through the park when they spotted a large hairy creature which stood up on its hind legs and growled at them which they reported to the authorities, who rolled out a large dragnet to scour the area:

quote:

The police were impressed with the sincerity of the fear the boys displayed when recounting their stories. Inspector at the time, Pat Curtis stated when talking to the media: ‘we do not believe this to be a hoax, we are taking no chances. ‘When 50 policemen, army marksmen, 20 dog handlers and a helicopter descended on the area only a few hours later, no one could find a trace of the animal.

On December 28 the police searchers found footprints in the snow. Two sets on either side of the river Lea, and one on an island in the river.

Despite multiple sources suggesting a potentially dangerous bear, on the evening of 29 December the police called of the search and declared the Marshes safe again.
https://londonurbanlegends.wordpress.com/2018/06/13/the-mysterious-monster-hackney/

They never figured out what it was that the boys had seen or how those dead bears got into the river (I'm guessing a furrier skinned them to make bearskin rugs??) so the original "Beast of Hackney Marshes" story pretty much ended there until that photo of the wandering Newfie dog hit the papers in 2012 but it became an urban legend, and the TV sitcom 'The Detectives' starring Jasper Carrott and Robert Powell even did an episode around it in 1997:
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5digza?playlist=x4tvtt

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 04:57 on Dec 29, 2022

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
worked in a vet hospital for a while, and newfies while absolutely ginormous, are generally giant sweeties.The angriest meanest dogs are always little bastards.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Ambitious Spider posted:

worked in a vet hospital for a while, and newfies while absolutely ginormous, are generally giant sweeties.The angriest meanest dogs are always little bastards.

stay off the moors, there are chihuahuas about.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
The British Cryptids youtube channel dropped a new trailer like an hour ago -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIB014ViF6E

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

King Doom posted:

The British Cryptids youtube channel dropped a new trailer like an hour ago -

Here's the full vid!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loZwFNT8H_s

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
British Cryptids is criminally under-watched.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Note also that this thread has previously discussed the curious case of bigfoots on Cannock Chase:

Knormal posted:

"A 41cm Bigfoot track, in this part of Europe, in this part of Britain, located entirely within Cannock Chase in Staffordshire?"
"Yes."
"Can we see it?"
"...No."

This article has photos of the footprint

Ah gently caress me I just went and looked up Gentleshaw Common on google maps and this story is even dumber than I'd assumed at first. It's a goddamn park.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/G...9256944!5m1!1e4

The Common itself is open heath. There's a small amount of 'woodlands' just to the north but they're mostly pine plantations interspersed with golf courses, quarries, playgrounds and holiday camps, and the surrounding countryside is mostly farmland and housing estates. It's a brisk stroll away from Stafford, Wolverhampton and Birmingham and you're not going to find bigfoot in loving Wolverhampton

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 12:58 on Jan 1, 2023

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Oh that's right, I knew the name sounded familiar. I like the idea of a more refined Bigfoot who just wants to hit the links on a weekend, I want to believe.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Captain Hygiene posted:

Oh that's right, I knew the name sounded familiar. I like the idea of a more refined Bigfoot who just wants to hit the links on a weekend, I want to believe.

Bougiefoot.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Stop calling them bigfoots and start calling them the superior AUS name

Yowie

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Coast 2 Coast posted their Craziest Cryptid cases of 2022 list and there's some stuff we've seen ITT already but a bunch of other crazy poo poo:

Giant Figure Filmed Atop Mountain in Canada
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghg3b2YwGJI
He admits at the end that it was all a hoax but his followers took that as evidence that The Men In Black got to him and forced him to post a retraction

'Furry' Snake Found in Thailand
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggEkZeOoBeQ
"Wildlife experts managed to identify the creature as most likely being an aquatic skull snake. Its 'fur,' they explained, appeared to some kind of vegetation, perhaps moss or lemon grass, that had somehow gotten stuck to the animal's body."

Bizarre Viral Video Allegedly Shows Mermaid Washed Ashore on Beach
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zT8RX5Y__7s
Looks super fake :shrug:

Bizarre Footage of Cop Encountering 'Goblin' Goes Viral in Paraguay
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2h6FJPmnP8
"The furor surrounding the incident grew to such a level that a police official eventually had to explain to the media in Paraguay that the 'Pombero' was actually just a run-of-the-mill robber who was acting strangely because they were under the influence of drugs."

Security Camera Films Eerie 'Humanoid' Lurking in Kentucky Driveway
https://twitter.com/ParanormalityM/status/1545825762825195522
The Return Of Dobby???????

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

One of those handheld security cams, expensive but at least it's blurry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Coast 2 Coast posted their Craziest Cryptid cases of 2022 list and there's some stuff we've seen ITT already but a bunch of other crazy poo poo

Thanks for posting all these, they were fun to go through. This one made me laugh the hardest though:

He admits at the end that it was all a hoax but his followers took that as evidence that The Men In Black got to him and forced him to post a retraction

Contradictory evidence just makes it a stronger case :tinfoil: